NFL Legend Frank Gifford Passes Away at 84

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl ... 84-n406761

Former football player and veteran sports journalist Frank Gifford has died in Connecticut, his family announced on Sunday. He was 84.

In a statement, his family said:

It is with the deepest sadness that we announce the sudden passing of our beloved husband, father and friend, Frank Gifford. Frank died suddenly this beautiful Sunday morning of natural causes at his Connecticut home. We rejoice in the extraordinary life he was privileged to live, and we feel grateful and blessed to have been loved by such an amazing human being. We ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time and we thank you for your prayers.

Gifford played with the New York Giants his entire NFL career, from 1952 to 1964, with several visits to the Pro-Bowl. In 1956 he was league MVP and lead the team to a championship (before it was called "The Super Bowl").

After his playing career ended, he became a sports commentator, first for CBS and then as a co-host of Monday Night Football from 1971 to 1985.

He married Kathie Lee Epstein, current TODAY show host, on October 18, 1986.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: NFL Legend Frank Gifford Passes Away at 84

Post by Tymaster »

It's no coincidence MNF started turning to shit not longer after ABC kicked him to the curb. No one under 35 probably remembers when Monday Night Football was far and away the game of the week. Sure, there were late season turds, but you still watched because of the dynamics of the booth. Now it's a shit show week in and week out on ESPN. I realize they changed the format so that MNF and TNF exist to get every team on national tv at least once and the marquee games are now on Sunday Night, but even "Football Night in America" has nothing on the MNF of the 70's and 80's.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Best thing he ever did was become Mr Kathie Lee
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

LAglamrocker wrote:Best thing he ever did was become Mr Kathy Lee
For some reason I was always amused whenever Howard Stern would refer to her as "Kathy Jew Gifford." :lol:
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

DANGER!
Do NOT Watch The Today Show......for at least a couple of weeks.
If you do, you'll be sorry!
You have been warned.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

Tymaster wrote:It's no coincidence MNF started turning to shit not longer after ABC kicked him to the curb. No one under 35 probably remembers when Monday Night Football was far and away the game of the week. Sure, there were late season turds, but you still watched because of the dynamics of the booth. Now it's a shit show week in and week out on ESPN. I realize they changed the format so that MNF and TNF exist to get every team on national tv at least once and the marquee games are now on Sunday Night, but even "Football Night in America" has nothing on the MNF of the 70's and 80's.
I still remember sports on ABC. When they got rid of sports and this included Monday Night football several years ago and moved it to ESPN I felt their programming had gone to shit.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Tymaster wrote:
LAglamrocker wrote:Best thing he ever did was become Mr Kathy Lee
For some reason I was always amused whenever Howard Stern would refer to her as "Kathy Jew Gifford." :lol:
Remember when he got busted banging the stewardess with the enormous tits? Good times, good times.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Yeah that whole thing was ugly. It was a fucking sting operation the Enquirer hired this stewardess to seduce, film, and expose him. Kinda mean really. At least he got laid.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Tymaster wrote:It's no coincidence MNF started turning to shit not longer after ABC kicked him to the curb. No one under 35 probably remembers when Monday Night Football was far and away the game of the week. Sure, there were late season turds, but you still watched because of the dynamics of the booth. Now it's a shit show week in and week out on ESPN. I realize they changed the format so that MNF and TNF exist to get every team on national tv at least once and the marquee games are now on Sunday Night, but even "Football Night in America" has nothing on the MNF of the 70's and 80's.
Michaels, Gifford and Dierdorf.....
And there goes BO and nobody catches BO! He might not stop till Tacoma! BO Jackson's 91YD Run VS. Seahawks November 30, 1987......Games you remember not just from the play but how much excitement the announcers added too it.
Then try watching a game with Joe Buck, Troy Aikman or Collinsworth and I'd rather hear a room full of crying babies. They can make the most exciting games boring as fuck.
Michaels and Gifford were a great team.
The 70's and 80's were great, they made every game worth watching. I think Michaels was a better Play by Play announcer but Gifford was still enjoyable as a lead or a side kick with Michaels.
Nothing beats those old Monday Night games. Not only was Monday Night the best game no matter who played, the Halftime Highlights was the only clips you got to see what happened in other games. The best few minutes of football was halftime on Monday Night.

Now it's 24/7, sometimes 2 Monday night games, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday nights.....It kind of leaves nothing to look forward too when you finally reach Monday Night. I hate Thursday and Saturday games but what I hate worse is they can't put a good crew together.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.