Anyone else excited for COLLEGE FOOTBALL?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BodyBagz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Anyone else excited for COLLEGE FOOTBALL?

Post by BodyBagz »

Sup` MS College football fans...

Been awhile since I chimed in in here...had a bad motorcycle wreck at the start of this season, so I havent even really thought about posting, but now, Im healed for the most part (still got 7 broken ribs and a broken collar bone).

This is shaping up to be a slightly different looking year for some teams, including my own Crimson Tide, who are right now, without a doubt, the most dominant "all around team" playing. They sit atop all the major polls, are undefeated, and just made it through a very dangerous 3 game streak against good, hard playing teams, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas A&M tonight.

Now, thats not to say Alabama doesnt have weaknesses...they do, but they are damn hard for teams to capitalize on. Jalen Hurts is a true Freshman QB, and as such, he is still adapting to the speed of college defenses, and at times, that shines through easily by him either fumbling or throwing into coverage. Also, the secondary isnt as deep as in previous years, so its harder to swap out players with equally good players...they arent bad players, they just arent quite as strong in the normal sense. Alabama can be beat, but I dont see anyone in the SEC doing it....it will take either a Michigan, Ohio State...Clemson couldnt do it last year and they look weaker this year...

Ohio State is kicking on all cylinders as well, Michigan is playing well, along with Wisconsin and the sleeper who keeps getting better and better, Washington. This years Playoff could be very interesting when the Conference Championships are over...

Heisman Watch: Louisville's QB, Lamar Jackson, is the solid front-runner right now, with no clear choice in the #2 position IMO, although "officially" Clemson`s DeShaun Watson is listed with Ohio States JT Barret a very close 3rd....
If i had a vote, as of right now, I would go with either Louisville`s Jackson, Washington’s Jake Browning or unmentioned Toledo QB, Logan Woodside.

Long I know...but fuck it, I`ve missed 6 games worth of posting and cheering for my favorite sports team, defending National Champions, the Alabama Crimson Tide!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

As Matthew McConaughey would say, "alright, alright, alright"....here we are again...the CFP has reared its head and posted the 1st and about to post the 2nd Playoff poll tomorrow. Lets see if they pull their collective heads out of their asses and put Washington up in the #4 spot where they should have been in the 1st CFP poll instead of Texas A&M.

This past weekend we saw some teams play great, some teams get blon-out, and some teams make it out b the skin of their teeth...all in all, its was a great weekend of games from front to back IMO. So, lets look at a couple of the "important" games...

#1 Alabama vs #13 LSU down in Baton Rouge...Well, this was ugly, no 2 ways around it. I love the Tide, but I wanted to reach through my TV and slap both Saban and Kiffin for not changing up the Alabama Offense prior to and even after the half. LSU was all over Jalen Hurts all game, and the only time anything actually worked was when Hurts was able to have blocking to let him get mobile...either Scarborough or Harris. Having Hurts static in the pocket was abysmal, and then on top of that, using Slant Passes behind the line was a waste of time and downs. There should have been better use of the Alabama fall-back...bull-nosed running of the ball by a big-ass power back like Bo.

Now, having said all that ^^^, let me sa this, LSU came to play ball...they had a great Defensive gameplan and it worked well too. Coach O has made some changes that have worked for them, but what they did Sat night was a page right out of Les Miles playbook. What wasnt a surprise was how Alabama keyed in on #7 Leonard Fournette and shut him down for the 3rd straight year...and yet LSU didnt sub him with Guice and try something different, or even sub Etling and see if a new QB would have sparke something. In the end, it was 2 hard Defenses fighting to keep scores off the board...1 worked harder and better than the other, and as a result, the Tide came away with their toughest win to date this season.

#3 Michigan tore through Mayland like they were a practice team. #2 Clemson ran over a good Syracuse team, and finally looked a bit more like the team they were last year. #5 Washington made a hell of a statement by destroying Cal and laid waste to the doofuses in the CFP who put Texas A&M in the Top 4 above the more deserving Huskies. #6 Ohio State is setting the stage to be the Big 10 party wreckers if they can...and right now, they look like they possibly could, come 11/26/16, the Buckeyes meet the Wolverines and the winner likely heads to the Conference Championship.

Cant wait for this coming weekend...Roll Tide!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

Washington and Michigan go down.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

johnk5150 wrote:Washington and Michigan go down.
Clemson, too. Shocking day for the unbeatens.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

dmbrocker wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Washington and Michigan go down.
Clemson, too. Shocking day for the unbeatens.
great day for college football. I hope the remaining unbeaten teams take some losses this year.
listen, the system is a scam. the NCAA is a fraud. teams win 1 loss don't get penalized much, if at all.
the NCAA has a select number of teams they want in the playoff and the NCAA will do anything/everything
to make sure those team advance.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Well, its winding down...the regular season that is. We are now at Rivalry Week, and a lot of good/great games will be played this coming Saturday. Some have Conference and Playoff berths attached to them...should be a hell of a Saturday.

The SEC:
#1 Alabama meets #16 Auburn in the Iron Bowl. Usually, this game has SEC implications as well as possible Playoff implications...this year, not so much. Alabama is secured to meet Florida in the SEC Championship regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. As well, provided they win the Iron Bowl, realistically, Alabama could lose the SEC Championship game and still make the Playoff considering their total record would be better than any other team at that point..12-1 with ranked wins over several teams, and being ranked #1 from the start of the season. About the only way for the Tide to not go to the Playoff is for them to fall apart and lose both the Iron Bowl and the SEC Championship game...and that aint very damn likely given Auburns injuries(Sean White, Pettaway) shitty O-line and Florida's lack of Offense and weaker Defense. Bama should cruise through these last 2 games with at least 14 point wins.

The Big 10:
#2 Ohio State gets to mix it up with #3 Michigan..and both are in a 3 way tie with Penn State in the Big 10 East. The East Division breaks down like this: Michigan wins the division with a win at Ohio State. Ohio State wins the division with a win against Michigan AND a Penn State loss to Michigan State. Penn State wins the division with a win against Michigan State AND a Michigan loss to Ohio State. Most likely, whoever wins the east will face #5 Wisconsin for the Big 10 Championship and a playoff berth. Look at it this way..Big 10 has 3 teams inside the Top 5 of the CFP...only 1 can advance...or can it? What if #4 Clemson gets bet in the ACC Championship...#2 OSU loses to #3 Michigan...but #3 Michigan lost to #8 Penn State earlier and #5 Wisconsin wins against #3 Michigan in the Big 10 Title game...You could have #2 Michigan and #3 Wisconsin each in the Playoff.....

The ACC:
The ACC Championship has been basically decided with Thursday`s #5 Louisville loss to Houston, which dropped the Cardinals down to #11 on the AP Poll. #4 Clemson should be a lock to play against Virginia Tech should the Hokies topple Virginia since VT has the H2H win earlier over NC TarHeels. Based on what the playing has been like for Clemson this year, this is not a sure-fire lock for the Tigers. VT will make the most of this game as possible, and have a decent shot of taking the win away from Dabo and company. Clemson willl have to have stellar play out of DeShaun Watson and the O-line as well as the D-line if they hope to stay alive. A loss here could very easily cost them and the ACC a playoff berth...

The PAC 12 is a proverbial cluster****...does anyone really care who is in the PAC 12 Championship? Well, yes, of course we care. #6 Washington should meet #10 Colorado in the Championship game, and the winner should squeak in for a Playoff berth. Washington has to get past Washington State first though. Colorado has to put Utah down as well, or USC sneaks in from the South. Washington is my pick for a playoff buster team...they are talented on both sides of the ball and have a Heisman calibre QB in Jake Browning...they could cause serious trouble for any team. If the ACC falters and the Big 10 has a sidestep, Washington could very well get in and run-amok.
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

If OSU beats Michigan, and Wisconsin squeaks by Pedo State in the Big 10 title game, I can see the Committee taking Ohio State over Wisconsin (1 loss versus 2, head-to-head victory on the road). There's no way the Big Ten gets two in, unless enough teams shit the bed in the coming weeks. Louisville losing big helped a bit.

However, if Sparty hasn't mailed it in, I can see them giving the Nits a decent game.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

ESPN is reporting in the I guess you would call it "could of seen this coming a mile away news" that Texas has decided to fire Strong after this Friday's game against TCU.

If he doesn't accept another job he gets a buyout of 10.7 million for the last two years of his contract.

Fuck coaching college football if you're going to give me that kind of money.

You wouldn't see my ass again.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

eddie lee roth wrote:ESPN is reporting in the I guess you would call it "could of seen this coming a mile away news" that Texas has decided to fire Strong after this Friday's game against TCU.

If he doesn't accept another job he gets a buyout of 10.7 million for the last two years of his contract.
Whats bad, is regardless of Strong`s buyout, they still have to come up with cash to pay a new coach....and Texas` eye is on Tom Herman. Herman has done an incredible job at Houston, and as such, his stock has jumped considerably. It will cost Texas an arm & a leg to get Herman, especially if they get a good bowl game and win it. Imagine Strongs paycheck + $1,000,000 annually to even get Herman to entertain the jump to a higher echelon school with larger-than-life expectations.

LSU is going to have the same problem as well. I dont see Ed Orgeron getting the HC job after the Florida game. Had they pulled out the win, @ home, then Coach O probably would have been given a shot, but carrying that loss after all the BS that went into that game, its almost certainly a nail just waiting to be driven in his coffin. Herman is also one of the top 3 picks for LSU...but LSU doesnt have the same amount of money as Texas, but you cant count out Alumni and Boosters down in the Bayou...
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

BodyBagz wrote:
eddie lee roth wrote:ESPN is reporting in the I guess you would call it "could of seen this coming a mile away news" that Texas has decided to fire Strong after this Friday's game against TCU.

Whats bad, is regardless of Strong`s buyout, they still have to come up with cash to pay a new coach....and Texas` eye is on Tom Herman. Herman has done an incredible job at Houston, and as such, his stock has jumped considerably. It will cost Texas an arm & a leg to get Herman, especially if they get a good bowl game and win it. Imagine Strongs paycheck + $1,000,000 annually to even get Herman to entertain the jump to a higher echelon school with larger-than-life expectations.

LSU is going to have the same problem as well. I dont see Ed Orgeron getting the HC job after the Florida game. Had they pulled out the win, @ home, then Coach O probably would have been given a shot, but carrying that loss after all the BS that went into that game, its almost certainly a nail just waiting to be driven in his coffin. Herman is also one of the top 3 picks for LSU...but LSU doesnt have the same amount of money as Texas, but you cant count out Alumni and Boosters down in the Bayou...
UT might be a lot of things but hurting for cash is not one of them.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

OU went into WV and gave that team a vicious beating. OU started the game
strong and never looked back. After the 2 early season losses this team does
look so much better. I'm saying that knowing the D-Line has suffered
a lot of injuries and a certain someone that just quit on the team.
Maybe that incoming class on D-line is actually going to amount to something.
Anyway, the team starts and stops with the offense. The two future NFL rb's and
the outstanding WR that has made everybody forget about Sterling Shepard.

Bye week coming up and after that Bedlam in Norman
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

eddie lee roth wrote: UT might be a lot of things but hurting for cash is not one of them.
Oh, no doubt does Texas have the funds...it just depends on how much for what coach. Is Tom Herman worth $5 million a year @ Texas? Im sure Texas can cough it up...Hell, they have been after Nick Saban for years and he cant be touched for under $7million a year at this point, and that only increases yearly.

I think Herman will jump if Texas comes up near $5mil a year...he missed out on a substantial pay bump when the expansion of the Big 12 fell through.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

BodyBagz wrote:
eddie lee roth wrote: UT might be a lot of things but hurting for cash is not one of them.
Oh, no doubt does Texas have the funds...it just depends on how much for what coach. Is Tom Herman worth $5 million a year @ Texas? Im sure Texas can cough it up...Hell, they have been after Nick Saban for years and he cant be touched for under $7million a year at this point, and that only increases yearly.

I think Herman will jump if Texas comes up near $5mil a year...he missed out on a substantial pay bump when the expansion of the Big 12 fell through.
Yeah Texas is to blame for all of the troubles in the Big 12 over the years and the conference is living on borrowed time. Never the less Texas will get Herman if that's who they want which is pretty obvious that that's the way they want to go.

I can't stand Texas because of where I'm from but I don't see how they don't come out of this looking bad and deserving to be ragged on. To watch Strong today at his press conference was pathetic. I felt bad for the guy they just are leaving him dangling in the air. Have the fucking balls to tell the guy he's fired. All you have to do is let him know this up coming game against TCU is it for you and thanks for your time. To not do that is pretty fucking classless which is typical for them.

They also think way to highly of themselves too. Their program does not match up to the Alabama's, OU's, FSU's, USC's, etc, etc. historically they just don't and it's as simple as that.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

eddie lee roth wrote:
BodyBagz wrote:

Yeah Texas is to blame for all of the troubles in the Big 12 over the years and the conference is living on borrowed time. Never the less Texas will get Herman if that's who they want which is pretty obvious that that's the way they want to go.

I can't stand Texas because of where I'm from but I don't see how they don't come out of this looking bad and deserving to be ragged on. To watch Strong today at his press conference was pathetic. I felt bad for the guy they just are leaving him dangling in the air. Have the fucking balls to tell the guy he's fired. All you have to do is let him know this up coming game against TCU is it for you and thanks for your time. To not do that is pretty fucking classless which is typical for them.

They also think way to highly of themselves too. Their program does not match up to the Alabama's, OU's, FSU's, USC's, etc, etc. historically they just don't and it's as simple as that.
Yeah, it was painful watching Charlie`s after game presser. Regardless of Herman coming on-board, I have no doubt Strong is done at Texas...he just hasnt lived up to what Texas was hoping he would bring. Kinda shitty knowing how good of a coach he can be, but for whatever reason, he just hasnt produced a "great" team considering his recruiting area. Herman will have his hands full...left over players from Charlies recruiting, recruiting back at Houston recruits trying to lure them to Texas, and trying to put all that into a 2-3 year window of turn-around for what was once a "perennial" Big 12 powerhouse. Not an easy task for any coach to be honest.
BodyBagz

Post by BodyBagz »

Whelp...the iron Bowl is upon us come Saturday...so why not re-hash a bit of Alabama vs Auburn history...shall we?
Alabama and Auburn have met a total of 80 times so far.
They first played on February 22, 1893
Alabama leads the series 44-35-1 to date.
Alabama holds the longest consecutive winning streak at 9 games (1973–81)
Between the 2 schools, they have combined for 33 SEC Championships, 25 by Alabama and 8 by Auburn.
They have combined for a total of 18 Claimed & Recognized National Championships...16 for Alabama and 2 for Auburn
The Iron Bowl continually ranks in the Top 10 Sports Rivalries in the US.
#8 @ ESPN
#5 @ TrendingTopLists
#4 @ USAToday
No matter who you root for, where you might have graduated from, or who you might have married...come Iron Bowl weekend, all bets are off, all allegiances are forgotten and all bragging rights are up for grabs!
With that being said...good luck to all my Auburn fans...your team`s gonna need it...Roll Tide Roll....
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Poor Georgia blew a 4th quarter lead to Tech... :( Anyone catch that 2OT win by the Buckeyes, though? WOW!!!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Ohio State, despite it's impressive resume, will likely be left out if Pedo State beats Wisconsin in the Big X title game. Need Clemson or Washington to get upset.

Even then, I don't see both OSU and PSU getting in the CFP.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

BodyBagz wrote:
eddie lee roth wrote:
BodyBagz wrote: Oh, no doubt does Texas have the funds...it just depends on how much for what coach. Is Tom Herman worth $5 million a year @ Texas? Im sure Texas can cough it up...Hell, they have been after Nick Saban for years and he cant be touched for under $7million a year at this point, and that only increases yearly.

Yeah, it was painful watching Charlie`s after game presser. Regardless of Herman coming on-board, I have no doubt Strong is done at Texas...he just hasnt lived up to what Texas was hoping he would bring. Kinda shitty knowing how good of a coach he can be, but for whatever reason, he just hasnt produced a "great" team considering his recruiting area. Herman will have his hands full...left over players from Charlies recruiting, recruiting back at Houston recruits trying to lure them to Texas, and trying to put all that into a 2-3 year window of turn-around for what was once a "perennial" Big 12 powerhouse. Not an easy task for any coach to be honest.
Sooner fans are smiling wide right now because Texas continues to lose and once again they are searching for a head coach. The Longhorn Network is for losers. Texas football is down in the dumps. This is great. C'mon, who actually thought Charlie Strong was a good choice for the school? How many seasons did he actually think
the boosters would give him before they tossed him out on his ass? Dysfunctional institution as its finest
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Umm maybe you haven't heard but LSU fucked us when they withdrew their offer to Herman and now Texas got him. The guy can win big games with lesser talent and he's got deep ties to Texas high schools. I'm not giving up on my Sooners but Texas hit a home run with the hire.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

eddie lee roth wrote:Umm maybe you haven't heard but LSU fucked us when they withdrew their offer to Herman and now Texas got him. The guy can win big games with lesser talent and he's got deep ties to Texas high schools. I'm not giving up on my Sooners but Texas hit a home run with the hire.
I had no heard that but the hiring of Herman does not put the fear in me one bit.
Herman might need a good 3 years before he can return that team to respectability. Mostly because he will be forced
to play with Strong's players.
To go off topic for a bit, this is the situation where players that were recruited by Strong to play football in Texas should be
allowed to transfer elsewhere, freely, and be eligible to play without having to sit out a season.
You don't see the coaches being forced to sit out one year before coaching again. Why should a player have to wait a year before playing since
the coach that promised him many, many things was terminated for X reason.
Just something to think about in this very, very corrupt big time sport
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

Did you guys catch LSU's Coach Orgeron press conference since being named the HC? I thought it was a little odd when he said homo wanna get naked. I don't know where that came from?
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Bedlam this weekend. I'm glad the game is early in the morning. I think OU is favored by 14, which is a wide margin
Hoping the offense can get rolling right away and not give OK State any hope of winning the game.
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Happy but surprised. Clemson will be a tough out.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

new 30 for 30 on ESPN this weekend
Catholics vs Convicts

On October 15, 1988, Notre Dame hosted the University of Miami in what would become one of the greatest games in college football history. It was tradition vs. swagger, the No. 4-ranked Fighting Irish versus the No. 1-ranked Hurricanes, one coaching star, Lou Holtz, versus another, Jimmy Johnson. But the name still attached to the contest came from a t-shirt manufactured by a few Notre Dame students: “Catholics vs. Convicts.” In this 30 for 30 documentary, director and narrator Patrick Creadon (Wordplay, I.O.U.S.A.) doesn’t just look back on the epic game. He explores the deeper narrative as a Notre Dame senior at the time, a close friend to the young men in the middle of the “Catholics vs. Convicts” controversy (Joe Fredrick and Pat Walsh) and a fellow classmate of the player behind center for the Fighting Irish (quarterback Tony Rice). The coaches and players open up about the fight that started the game, the highly debatable calls that are still being talked about and the insensitive aspects of the irresistibly popular t-shirt. As compelling as the tale of Notre Dame’s dramatic victory is—even losing quarterback Steve Walsh calls it “a helluva ballgame”—the backstory is just as riveting
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Georgia Tech beat Georgia. That is the only thing that matters all year.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

UH hire Major Applewhite as the new head coach
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this hire. The school is desperate and this reach for a head coach is proof.
Looking forward to seeing the school's football program returning to anonymity
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Lamar Jackson wins the Heisman tonight.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Machado wrote:new 30 for 30 on ESPN this weekend
Catholics vs Convicts

On October 15, 1988, Notre Dame hosted the University of Miami in what would become one of the greatest games.
I was there. It was a great 30 for 30.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

johnk5150 wrote:
Machado wrote:new 30 for 30 on ESPN this weekend
Catholics vs Convicts

On October 15, 1988, Notre Dame hosted the University of Miami in what would become one of the greatest games.
I was there. It was a great 30 for 30.
Went and found the ticket stub. $17.50.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

i can't decide which story is worse, that Louisville "lied" about receiving "just a few plays" from the WF staff
or
that FAU hired Lane Kiffin to coach that football team?
how long will Lane last at FAU? maybe two seasons before he leaves to a "bigger school"?
that seems fair to the kids he is recruiting right now.

college football is a fucking joke and more important, the kids are used as pawns and
the school could care less about the athletes.