The Occasional RUGBY Thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The Occasional RUGBY Thread...

Post by demolition23 »

Good on them. I'm happy for Ireland. They always seem to give it 110% against the All Blacks and have come heartbreakingly close a few times.

First time the All Blacks have conceded 40+ in a decade and I'm pretty sure Ireland are the first new team to get a win over the All Blacks in my life time. I'm 39.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Nice to finally beat the Boks.

This is not a good Boks side, and the score line flattered them. Still, to score 4 trys, and to be disappointed shows how far Englad have come in a year! We were also missing several players from the Grand Slam.

Feel bad for Scotland losing to Australia at the death.

Looks like New Zealand got back on track! Not too surprising against Italy.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Beating Italy doesn't count for much though - didn't even bother watching. The rematch with Ireland will be interesting though.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Beating Italy doesn't count for much though - didn't even bother watching. The rematch with Ireland will be interesting though.
Lol. Yeah, they hold no really serious threat to the All Blacks.

I think you will get your revenge against Ireland.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Well New Zealand got their revenge! Sounds like it was some brutal decision by the refs which favoured New Zealand.

South Africa lost to Italy! :shock: South African rugby is in a real state. They have never lost to Italy before. So congrats to Italy.

Wales just about beat Japan. Sounds like they did not deserve to.

Englad beat Fiji by a record score. 12 wins in a row now!

Scotland beat Argentina at the death.

Autumn internationals have been good so far.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

South African rugby really is in the doldrums!

England beat Argentina even though they were down to 14 men for most of the match. 13 for part of it!

Ireland beat Australia, Wales beat South Africa. Good Autum International for the Northern Hemisphere teams so far. Just need to beat Australia next week :twisted:

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

South African legend Joost van der Westhuizen dies.

Figured it would be soon after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38882762

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Very sad. He and Jonah were kings of the worl back in 1995. He was very well thought of by a lot of the All Blacks.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Took a few weeks, but I finally finished watching all of the Auckland Nines, which may be my new favorite thing. Perfect tv for people with short attention spans.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Engladn 6 nations champs with a game spare. :D Plus equalled the New Zealand record of 18 consecutive wins! Of course, we're stil some way to matching that team. But trending in the right direction.

Play Ireland in Dublin next game to beat the record.

England also won the 7s this weekend. I should have gone as it was in Vancouver. :x Was supposed to be a good turnout though, which is good to hear.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Great run for England, and intriguing that Ireland have the opportunity to stop a other record streak.

There's also talk of an All Black game at the end of this year...

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bl ... er--report

I'm not sure about it though. It would be great to settle it on the field - but the All Blacks have just started in on the Super Rugby season, to be followed by the Lions Tour and Rugby Championship and the three northern tests already booked. Throwing another game in there seems pretty crazy.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

In a related note, I just looked at the Lions schedule for New Zealand and it's pretty brutal too. Ten games in just over a month including three tests, the Maori team and all five Super Rugby sides.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Great run for England, and intriguing that Ireland have the opportunity to stop a other record streak.

There's also talk of an All Black game at the end of this year...

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bl ... er--report

I'm not sure about it though. It would be great to settle it on the field - but the All Blacks have just started in on the Super Rugby season, to be followed by the Lions Tour and Rugby Championship and the three northern tests already booked. Throwing another game in there seems pretty crazy.
Well they did it, and were throughly deserved winners. No Grand Slam this year, but retained the 6 nations title. Of course, after this loss to Ireland, some people are acting like England won the wooden spoon. :lol:

We're not the finished article, but hopefully learn from this loss, and come back stronger.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I'm sure this sort of opinion piece will irritate a lot of people - political correctness gone mad etc etc... Having said that I've always thought it was a pretty odd choice for English rugby anthem. I mean, great tune to sing along to, but weird, weird choice.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/27/sport ... index.html
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:I'm sure this sort of opinion piece will irritate a lot of people - political correctness gone mad etc etc... Having said that I've always thought it was a pretty odd choice for English rugby anthem. I mean, great tune to sing along to, but weird, weird choice.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/27/sport ... index.html
I remember my ex who was American being very surprised when she heard Swing Low Sweet Charity being sung at an England rugby game.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

This writer is a douchebag generally, but I found his take on Lions selections interesting.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opin ... -character
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Lions fall to the Auckland Blues (aka New Zealand's worst Super Rugby side).
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Lions fall to the Auckland Blues (aka New Zealand's worst Super Rugby side).
Yeah, it really isn't looking too good. :lol:

Crusaders will probably crush them.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Crusaders pack just flattened the Lions scrum. How close is this to a full strength Lions side? My assumption was they might load up after the loss to the Blues...
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Crusaders pack just flattened the Lions scrum. How close is this to a full strength Lions side? My assumption was they might load up after the loss to the Blues...
Strongest side they have started for sure. And yeah, it makes sense, because they needed a win.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Half-time in the first test.
All Blacks looking a little scrappy but after withstanding some early pressure they looked to be exerting their will on the game until that amazing Lions try pulled the game right back.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Fark! 3-3 in shitty conditions with 55 minutes to go and the All Blacks are a man down. The Lions will never have a better chance than this.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

9-9 at the half, and I'm going to have to leave for a gig before it's done!

Side-note: SBW deserved to be sent off, no question from me or the local commentators. I don't think he was out to hurt the guy, but a 'tackle' like that is an easy red card.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Lions make it a series!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:Lions make it a series!
All Blacks by twenty next week.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
i concur. :x

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
I guess not. :wink:

A draw is a weird feeling, but I predicted a whitewash at the beginning!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Weird series - a few great tries, but some poor refereeing (for both sides) and average play by both teams.

The All Blacks will be pretty disappointed but they largely have themselves to blame. A red card and a yellow card in the last two games, lots of handling errors and some pretty average kicking.

The Lions meanwhile seemed pretty pleased to draw the series, and they deserved the win and the draw they got. They played really well in patches, but their scrum didn't look like much and they only out scored the All Blacks by three points over the last two games despite having a man advantage for 65 of 160 minutes. Both legit calls by the ref so no excuse, but suggests they maybe got a little lucky.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

I am trying to get familiar with the sport.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

All Blacks just DESTROYED the Springboks.

57-0. Jesus Christ.