The Occasional RUGBY Thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The Occasional RUGBY Thread...

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:All Blacks just DESTROYED the Springboks.

57-0. Jesus Christ.
South Africa were unbeaten in 6 before this game. Thought they were starting to turn the corner a bit after last seasons performances and results. Damn, the All Blacks are just too good! Especially for South Africa these days. I actually just watched a documentary about this rivalry and the 81 tour. Not much of a rivalry anymore unfortunately.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Pretty stuttering Autumn Internationals for England, but 3 wins out of 3. Scotland really pushed the All Blacks last week. And then this week they thumped Australia 53-24!

6 nations could be a very competitive one at this rate.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Pretty stuttering season for The All Blacks - the first two loss campaign since 2011. But still some good results in there.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

And France is hosting the 2023 world cup. Quite surprised they already hosting it after only having it back in 2007. Although looking at the criteria, I can see why the beat South Africa and Ireland.

2007 was still overall the best world cup, even though England lost in the final.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Well, here we go again.

Interesting days ahead. The All Blacks are definitely not as strong as they were at the last two World Cups, Still, since the start of 2018, it’s 19 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw, so it’s not like they’re not contenders, and there’s always a chance some of the old-hands will shine like Dan Carter did in 2015.

Meanwhile South Africa won the Rugby Championship after drawing with the All Blacks, Australia both destroyed and were destroyed by the All Blacks, and Argentina pushed us.

Meanwhile, Ireland and Wales have both taken brief turns at the top of the always slightly meaningless world rankings, and England should be contenders. And fuck knows what’s up with France at any given point.

So probably the widest-open the tournament has been for a while. That said, I’ll take the winner of the opening Springboks/All Blacks game to win it all.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:23 pm Well, here we go again.

Interesting days ahead. The All Blacks are definitely not as strong as they were at the last two World Cups, Still, since the start of 2018, it’s 19 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw, so it’s not like they’re not contenders, and there’s always a chance some of the old-hands will shine like Dan Carter did in 2015.

Meanwhile South Africa won the Rugby Championship after drawing with the All Blacks, Australia both destroyed and were destroyed by the All Blacks, and Argentina pushed us.

Meanwhile, Ireland and Wales have both taken brief turns at the top of the always slightly meaningless world rankings, and England should be contenders. And fuck knows what’s up with France at any given point.

So probably the widest-open the tournament has been for a while. That said, I’ll take the winner of the opening Springboks/All Blacks game to win it all.
See the All Blacks winning again. You're right that they are not quite as strong as the two previous tournaments. But they are still a tier above the other teams imo.

And them beating South Africa means they will most likely play either Scotland or Japan in the quarters. So yeah, they are already in the semis! Whilst South Africa will most likely play Ireland. I knew the New Zealand/South Africa game was big, but didn't realise the consequences of that game until today!

Also, check out Squidge Rugby on youtube. Highly recommended!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Japan did it again! Incredible stuff.

Makes that pool very interesting!

Uruguay beating Fiji was a good upset, but this result for Japan against Ireland is a massive result for the World Cup. Hope Japan make the quarter finals now.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

England first team to officially qualify for the quarter finals!

Very different to 4 years ago!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

England knock out New Zealand.

New Zealand looked very ordinary. Big credit to the England performance to make them look that way of course.

New Zealand never really threatened. Only try was because of an awful mistake by the line out!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Only an Englishman would lead with the opposition being ordinary when their team was awesome! :lol:

Thoroughly deserved England victory, but I think their energy, precision and ability to keep both up for 80 minutes are more of a story than the All Blacks’ play.

The All Blacks lose a game or two most years, but it’s a long time since they’ve been so comprehensively outplayed.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:19 am Only an Englishman would lead with the opposition being ordinary when their team was awesome! :lol:

Thoroughly deserved England victory, but I think their energy, precision and ability to keep both up for 80 minutes are more of a story than the All Blacks’ play.

The All Blacks lose a game or two most years, but it’s a long time since they’ve been so comprehensively outplayed.
Meh I was drunk typing that.

And on another message board I started with the following:

"Hell yeah! What a performance!"

Up there with one of the most complete performances I have ever seen by England. :)

Bring South Africa or Wales!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

New Zealand destroy Ireland. Then England dominate New Zealand. Then South Africa manhandle England. Who had lost to New Zealand in the group stage. Just kind of funny how that worked out.

Well done South Africa. They were definitely the better team in the final. Their tactics were spot on. Some of the English errors were schoolboy. Even though we were 12-6 down at halftime, which is obviously not much, I didn't think we would come back and win. Would have loved England to win, but South Africa are my second team, so not too upset. Always had a soft spot for them since the 95 world cup. Also went to the Springbok museum in Cape Town which was very cool. And I support their teams in the Super Rugby, and enjoy watching the Currie cup here and there.

A lot of credit has to be given to Rassie Erasmus. Just a couple of years ago South African Rugby was in the doldrums. He really turned it around. Won the Rugby Championship and World Cup in the same year. South Africa now tie New Zealand for three titles. They have never conceded a try in a final either which is kind of crazy. Also they have only played in 7 tournament and won three of them which is very impressive.

As for England, this is still a pretty young squad. Last time we won the World Cup, it was basically the pinnacle of most of that team. So I'm pretty hopefully heading into the future.

This was a great World Cup. My overall favourite is still probably 2007, which we also lost to South Africa. Still, there was a lot to like about this World Cup. Upsets, host nation doing well and making the group stages, a new champion (just delighted it wasn't New Zealand again!), some great rugby, and overall a good atmosphere in a place not famed for rugby. Definitely the best World Cup since 2007.