The Occasional RUGBY Thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: 2015 RUGBY WORLD CUP

Post by demolition23 »

BootyDaddy69 wrote:
demolition23 wrote:
Well, except for roughly half the pool games.
Ask South Africa and England about that

:lol: :lol: :lol:
True, but half of their pool games were still pretty easy though...
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

ELIMINATION STAGES!!!!

South Africa vs Wales
New Zealand vs France

Australia vs Scotland
Ireland vs Argentina

So basically, of the nine most likely quarter-finalists, England didn't get a seat when the music stopped. Highlight of the tournament is Japan notching up three wins after winning only one in the last seven World Cups, but it's time for the big boys now.

Australia should be the surest thing based on those match ups, and All Blacks will probably top France. SA/Wales is a tougher call and Ireland/Argentina will be interesting given the Irish injuries. I'm giving the edge to Wales though. I/A too close to call.

There's a slight chance of an all Southern Hemisphere set of semis, which would be cool.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Okay, I'm back! I was in England and went to the England/Australia game. When Mike Brown caught that high ball and went into touch I knew the game was over. And that was in the second minute!

You have to feel for Japan really, but hopefully it gives the country a good boost before they host the next world cup.

Australia do look really good. Like really good. Scotland shouldn't cause too much trouble.

I think South Africa will just about overcome Wales.

I was going to go for Ireland until the injuries, but now I fancy Argentina. Changed my mind on Argentina winning if after seeing that fat prick Maradona jumping up and down at one of the Argentina games.

As for New Zealand vs. France. Well France have caused New Zealand problems in the past. But I cannot see it this time. Although I bet New Zealand were hoping to play Ireland more than France!

I will be supporting South Africa. 8)
Got my Springbok jersey ready.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

demolition23 wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Well, it was a shame to give up that try, but that was a hell of a first half from the All Blacks.
29-13 at the half. It's not over yet, but they've calmed a lot of nerves at least.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Image
Well Wales have gone, and Scotland will surely follow tomorrow. 8)

Hope Ireland beat Argentina tomorrow though!

South Africa/Wales was an intense game. Thankfully South Africa just managed to get through.

New Zealand destroying France. Man I hate New Zealand, but I can only see Australia stopping them. Go Aussies!

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

The whole national psyche has just swung fully from anxiety to overconfidence.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Cricket score.

Got my South African jersey on. Hope they do the business against New Zealand next week!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Based on form this season,we should handle South Africa, but if we do it will be a lot closer than that. It's certainly no sure thing.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Based on form this season,we should handle South Africa, but if we do it will be a lot closer than that. It's certainly no sure thing.
Yeah South Africa have not been good this year, and they were not that impressive in today's win.

I can only see Australia beating New Zealand.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Two crazy games overnight by the looks of it, and an all southern final 4!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Fair play to Scotland.

Didn't see the match, but heard it was some awful referring, which isn't too surprising considering who the ref is! Sounds like Scotland should have won it!

Ireland disappoint. Just couldn't deal with the key injuries.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:Fair play to Scotland.

Didn't see the match, but heard it was some awful referring, which isn't too surprising considering who the ref is! Sounds like Scotland should have won it!

Ireland disappoint. Just couldn't deal with the key injuries.
Yeah, Scotland have a right to feel gutted. It's not Australia's fault, but it casts a bit of a pall over the victory.

Argentina, on the other hand, should be stoked. Yeah Ireland had injuries, but to me staying healthy and having the depth to handle injuries are actually part of getting through a 7 game tournament (we nearly lost the last World Cup in no small part because Carter was injured).

It's a shame we don't get a semi with two teams that have never made a final though.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And, before I start worrying about the next game...

62 points is the most a side has ever scored at the knockout stage of the Rugby World Cup.

62 points is the most ever scored against France by any nation.

Julian Savea has now tied the record for most tries in a single World Cup, tying Jonah Lomu (1999) and Bryan Habana (2007) with eight tries. Savea now has 38 tries in 39 matches - Lomu got 37 in 68 (admittedly battling illness for much of his career).

The All Blacks became the first team to score 300 tries at Rugby World Cups. No other nation has gone past 200.

Now I've done that, watch us lose to South Africa 12-6 in a dour kicking battle full of handling errors and injuries...
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:And, before I start worrying about the next game...

62 points is the most a side has ever scored at the knockout stage of the Rugby World Cup.

Julian Savea has now tied the record for most tries in a single World Cup, tying Jonah Lomu (1999) and Bryan Habana (2007) with eight tries. Savea now has 38 tries in 39 matches - Lomu got 37 in 68 (admittedly battling illness for much of his career).

The All Blacks became the first team to score 300 tries at Rugby World Cups. No other nation has gone past 200.

Now I've done that, watch us lose to South Africa 12-6 in a dour kicking battle full of handling errors and injuries...
I really hope so! But I doubt it.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:

Only an Englishman would hope for a dour kicking battle,
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

We were very, very lucky, did you notice the ref driving around recently in his new Porsche

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

Only an Englishman would hope for a dour kicking battle,
Touché!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Well, that was tense.
Classically tight All Blacks/Springboks test, with eerie similarities to the cricket World Cup semi - especially given we'll probably see a repeat of that final.

South Africa played hard but, it was a play for penalties approach. That worked, but it was evident they weren't a big enough attacking threat.

Turning of the game was the 10 minutes after half time when the All Blacks put 10 points up with a man down. I thought Kaino was a tad unlucky to get sent off, but it is what it is. In a lot of ways it's a better win to have under the belt than another blow out woul've been.

Now c'mon Pumas!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Go Australia!

Can't believe I'm saying this as an Englishman! :lol: :x

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:Go Australia!

I can't believe any neutral rugby fan wouldn't back the Pumas. Them getting to the final would be the best thing for the game, and them winning the World Cup would be epic. Obviously I want the All Blacks to win, but like with the Springboks in 1995, I can acknowledge what the 'best' result would be.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

Yay Aussies win and as most have predicted its an Australia v New Zealand Final

Hopefully NZ ran out of steam after their tough game against SA and we can take them out
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote:Go Australia!

I can't believe any neutral rugby fan wouldn't back the Pumas. Them getting to the final would be the best thing for the game, and them winning the World Cup would be epic. Obviously I want the All Blacks to win, but like with the Springboks in 1995, I can acknowledge what the 'best' result would be.
Once I saw that fat prick Maradona jumping up and down supporting the Pumas, I really went off them. Used to like them before that.

Plus, I mentioned earlier, that Australia are the only team that looks capable of beating New Zealand. Argentina making the final, would have been a more boring, one sided final.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And the countdown begins!

We're I a betting man I'd put my money on the All Blacks, but this could go either way. The nation is about to grind to a halt.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And giving the Devils their due, this is pretty sweet...

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Whatever happens, Nonu, Carter, McCaw, C Smith and Mealamu end their international careers tonight. Any one of those guys would be the undisputed star of any current 6 Nations team, and including the inured Tony Woodcock they account for over 700 test caps.

Let's just hope it's a game like this...
http://youtu.be/heoO_5MvZ0w
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Overall, a pretty terrible world cup.

The highlight was definitely Japan beating South Africa in the group stages.

2007 is still the best world cup. Easily. And hey, my team lost the final, and were whitewashed in the group stage!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Too. Damm. Good.

Last edited by demolition23 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

And I thought it was a pretty good World Cup. It's not an evenly balanced enough tournament so there are always too many meaningless games, but the pool of death, Japan over South Africa, Argentina over Ireland, Australia/Scotland and the All Black quarter and semis were all great games/results - and all in different ways.

And the final was a great display - far, far better game than the last final.

Obviously the outcome was fantastic for New Zealand too. Great to finish out a World Cup in the same fashion as we normally play between World Cups. It lays a lot of ghosts to rest. I was almost choked up seeing Perhaps the greatest All Blacks greatest first-five finally have his World Cup moment. Seeing guys like Carter, Nonu and McCaw still dominating at the end of their careers was stirring stuff. It's the final act of a great era.