**OFFICIAL Association Football 2016/2017 Season thread**

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: **OFFICIAL Association Football 2016/2017 Season thread**

Post by MickeyG »

Drunk Kennedy wrote: ummm wrong! spurs have a TON of young talent locked up and one of the best young coches out there...they are set to challenge for the next 5 years.
Won't matter if Real Madrid come calling like they did for Bale. Spurs can't offer the wages or the prestige of a big club. This isn't the NFL where the big markets help pay for the lesser market teams.

Drunk Kennedy wrote: its a tall order for anyone to catch chelsea this year...but i wouldnt put it past tottenham to pull it off.
There's a joke that goes around on some of the soccer forums about Spurs. Apparently in the past when Fergie would give his team talk before a United/Spurs match he'd just say, "Lads, it's Spurs," and walk out. Suggesting they don't have what it takes to step up. I agree with Pieceofme they missed their chance last year.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

MickeyG wrote:
demolition23 wrote:World Cup being expanded to 48 teams? Bullshit idea really, but good for New Zealand potentially.
Might depend on how they structure it.

If they just add more teams to the current format, then it will mean more dead rubber games that will be worthless to watch. I had read of 1 idea where they would have a knock out round between the small teams first. So one game and you go home potentially? Would it really be worth these lesser nations to show up if thats the case?
That would be bullshit if the big teams got a free pass like that. However, there's also ideas for a group stage where only the winner moves on, so basically nobody could afford to settle for ties. There'd be more upsets with no time for the big nations to warm up. I'd like that.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:
MickeyG wrote:
demolition23 wrote:World Cup being expanded to 48 teams? Bullshit idea really, but good for New Zealand potentially.

If they just add more teams to the current format, then it will mean more dead rubber games that will be worthless to watch. I had read of 1 idea where they would have a knock out round between the small teams first. So one game and you go home potentially? Would it really be worth these lesser nations to show up if thats the case?
That would be bullshit if the big teams got a free pass like that. However, there's also ideas for a group stage where only the winner moves on, so basically nobody could afford to settle for ties. There'd be more upsets with no time for the big nations to warm up. I'd like that.
That sounds like a better idea. With the current number of teams there are a few decent sides that miss out, raising the number would get more of those teams in. Which in turn would make qualifying easier, with more places up for grabs. I've forgotten how seedings are done, it should be based on how you did in qualifying and not on world ranking, to make qualifying more interesting.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

MickeyG wrote:

That does sound like a good idea.

Hopefully Brazil will get knocked out early, and then cry about it! :lol:
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Drunk Kennedy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Drunk Kennedy »

man city with the choke.

liverpool snatches a draw from the arms of victory.

harry kane and the spurs continue returning to form in 2nd place.

and with diego costa having his mid season temper tantrum...its gonna be a fun sprint to the finish!
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Kloppo not very lucky at the moment, but maybe concentrating on nothing but the league will help secure a Champions League rank.

Nice to see Schweinsteiger showing up Mourinho's ignorance. Granted, it wasn't exactly a high stakes game, but there's just no way he's not worth a regular bench spot at this point.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:Kloppo not very lucky at the moment, but maybe concentrating on nothing but the league will help secure a Champions League rank.

Nice to see Schweinsteiger showing up Mourinho's ignorance. Granted, it wasn't exactly a high stakes game, but there's just no way he's not worth a regular bench spot at this point.
I read somewhere a while back Mourinho wanted to work with Schweinsteiger but when he got to United he found a squad/club unhappy with Schweinsteigers attitude last season. While out injured last season rather than rehabilitate his injury at the club he preferred to follow his girlfriend around on the tennis tour.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

MickeyG wrote:I read somewhere a while back Mourinho wanted to work with Schweinsteiger but when he got to United he found a squad/club unhappy with Schweinsteigers attitude last season. While out injured last season rather than rehabilitate his injury at the club he preferred to follow his girlfriend around on the tennis tour.
That was like some boulevard thing over here too, but I never heard it confirmed from any serious source. He's always had an immaculate reputation among players and coaches in Germany. Wouldn't anybody with an attitude problem just say fuck it when being sent to train with the reserve?

Who knows... I'm more of a Mourinho hater than a Schweinsteiger fan. Whatever he says must be wrong.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

MickeyG wrote:I read somewhere a while back Mourinho wanted to work with Schweinsteiger but when he got to United he found a squad/club unhappy with Schweinsteigers attitude last season. While out injured last season rather than rehabilitate his injury at the club he preferred to follow his girlfriend around on the tennis tour.
That was like some boulevard thing over here too, but I never heard it confirmed from any serious source. He's always had an immaculate reputation among players and coaches in Germany. Wouldn't anybody with an attitude problem just say fuck it when being sent to train with the reserve?

Who knows... I'm more of a Mourinho hater than a Schweinsteiger fan. Whatever he says must be wrong.
Well, the reserve stuff came afterwards, you see Van Gaal thought it was ok for Schweinsteiger to do what he wanted. I remember seeing pics I think of Schweinsteiger with something on his leg while at a tennis match, or supposedly at a tennis match. I dunno if any of it is true either, it was claimed Rooney was a big complainer of what was going on and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He loves leaking shit to the papers. Mourinho seems to have brought Schweinsteiger in from the cold somewhat, while Rooney seems to be slowly being phased out. Really, for the betterment of the club, both need to be moved on and younger replacements found.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Looks like Martial is now on Mourinho's shit list, which is wrong. He has played mostly well when given a chance. Mou was already wrong about Mkhitaryan.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Lahm retiring from football at the end of the season. he's only 33!

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

pieceofme wrote:Lahm retiring from football at the end of the season. he's only 33!
All these pussies just can't handle not going out on top. He peaked and is afraid he may not be the first choice at Bayern forever, and end up being humiliated at another top club, see Schweinsteiger. I respect those who go back to their home teams or lower leagues a whole lot more.

What's awesome though is that Lahm refused to stay with Bayern as director or manager too, which must have pissed off the old assholes like hell. That's been publicly arranged for years. And he's the last of the real born and bred Bayern figures, besides Müller. Hopefully that club will finally die out and become just another plastic product owned by some sheikh.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

pieceofme wrote:Lahm retiring from football at the end of the season. he's only 33!
All these pussies just can't handle not going out on top. He peaked and is afraid he may not be the first choice at Bayern forever, and end up being humiliated at another top club, see Schweinsteiger. I respect those who go back to their home teams or lower leagues a whole lot more.

What's awesome though is that Lahm refused to stay with Bayern as director or manager too, which must have pissed off the old assholes like hell. That's been publicly arranged for years. And he's the last of the real born and bred Bayern figures, besides Müller. Hopefully that club will finally die out and become just another plastic product owned by some sheikh.
Hey Seb, further on Schweinsteiger in Uniteds quarterly financials released today, it shows an exceptional item being added in being Bastians value added back into the accounts as he is "now considered to be re-established as a member of the first team playing squad." This reminded me of how in the last accounts an exceptional item was taken out believed to be at the time Bastians value. I mention it just to highlight that something went on which was bad enough for the club to even write him off in the accounts last year. Maybe he's knuckled down and so back in contention.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

MickeyG wrote:Hey Seb, further on Schweinsteiger in Uniteds quarterly financials released today, it shows an exceptional item being added in being Bastians value added back into the accounts as he is "now considered to be re-established as a member of the first team playing squad." This reminded me of how in the last accounts an exceptional item was taken out believed to be at the time Bastians value. I mention it just to highlight that something went on which was bad enough for the club to even write him off in the accounts last year. Maybe he's knuckled down and so back in contention.
Alright, perfectly possible there's more to the story. I honestly don't know jackshit about the inner workings of this stuff.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

First trophy in the bag for Jose.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

MickeyG wrote:First trophy in the bag for Jose.
Southampton were the better team.

always nice to a win a trophy though. 8)

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

pieceofme wrote:
MickeyG wrote:First trophy in the bag for Jose.
Southampton were the better team.

always nice to a win a trophy though. 8)
Absolutely they were the better team. And for once this season I've never seen United so clinical. They usually miss a bunch of chances. There was the Lingard miss in the second half, but other than that I think they scored with pretty much every shot.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Maybe I underrated Spurs. They are closing in on Chelsea. I would be a lot happier if they won instead of Chelsea. Even if it would mean eating crow. :lol:

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Chavski beaten! 2 Chelsea defeats in the last 4 games along with Spurs great form have made it interesting for the run in. Poch has got Spurs playing well, you can tell the players are playing for him. If I was Barca, I'd be looking at bringing him in at the end of the season.
Drunk Kennedy
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Drunk Kennedy »

CYOS!!! chelsea now looking in their rear view mirror...and they damn well better be frightened by what they see!

Chelseas remaining games: S-Hampton X 2 - Everton, Brough, West Brom, Watford, Sunderland

Spurs remaining gamed: Leicester, Palace, Arsenal, West Ham, Man U, Leicester, Hull

Chelsea def has the easier schedule...but Spurs are playing lights out football right now, and seem to be getting better every week. Should be a great run down the stretch!! :D
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Spurs fucking it up in the cup. This chelsea side could end up with the double.
ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Post by ShearMagic »

Well it seems Real Madrid will meet Juventus in the UCL Final. Ok, anything can happen in the second leg but for now it looks like the reigning champs of both Spain and Italy are going to the final.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

ShearMagic wrote:Well it seems Real Madrid will meet Juventus in the UCL Final. Ok, anything can happen in the second leg but for now it looks like the reigning champs of both Spain and Italy are going to the final.
Hope Juventus do it. I don't particularly like them. Just prefer them more than Real Madrid. :lol:

SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

I was rooting for Monaco to win it this year, the expected final now is like choosing between cancer and ebola. I guess let Buffon win his cup and then fuck off into retirement.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Well United beat Ajax in the Europa League! Nice to finish the season winning a trophy. So 3 trophies, but only a 6th place finish. But still in the Champions League. Strange season. Very happy with the trophies, but 6th after spending all that money is not the best return.

I guess Griezmann will be coming to United now, so that is cool!

SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

That final sucked hard. Can't say Ajax deserved it, with barely getting any shots on goal, but United didn't do shit either, both goals more or less accidents.

The past season was pretty disappointing throughout all leagues. My team qualified for Euro league, but they won't make it to second round anyway. I really wish I didn't have to watch this shit all the time, nothing but misery.
:lol:
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Awful game, great result. :mrgreen:

Some would say a typical Mourinho masterclass, which is fair he's not one for all out attacking football. His system though, does rely on top class attackers as when they do get the ball forward they have to make it count. Not made enough chances, and missed far too many for my liking.

It's funny, as Uniteds best players yesterday are players that have been much maligned throughout the season. Darmian, Smalling and Fellaini all had decent games.

I'm sure you've all seen it mentioned on the net, but I had to chuckle at United having more players on crutches yesterday than Liverpool have won trophies in the last 10 years. :mrgreen:
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

Mourinho's teams would get football stopped. I don't recall his fc porto team being boring to watch?
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Mourinho put all his eggs in one basket. This time it worked.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

If Mourinho was on my team I'd hope they fall short just to see him fail.