Hey, Diehards! Is Mel Kiper Jr. worth a fuck in regards to the NFL Draft??

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Hey, Diehards! Is Mel Kiper Jr. worth a fuck in regards to the NFL Draft??

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

Every year, I see his dopey ass on SC. But, never paid much attention to him.
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Hey, Diehards! Is Mel Kiper Jr. worth a fuck in regards to the NFL Draft??

Post by UtahRatt »

Kiper's a dick with his haters but very respectable at judging talent in my book. Been watching the draft for decades and I hate to say he's pretty good, far better then most and especially anyone on ESPN.

Best example ever, I've only found the edited video when the RAMS took Lawrence Phillips at #6 in the 96 draft. Kiper flat out said Phillips was the worst choice and going to be the biggest flop in the draft.
Theismann jumped in calling Phillips one of the best players and that set off a firestorm. Joe ranted how "everyone" was rating Phillips as the best while Kiper kept reiterating Phillips has mental issues with problems he'll never over come. Anyway it went from a normal debate and got fucking ugly.
Kiper and Theismann was one step away from throwing punches live on ESPN, I was on the edge of my seat just when ESPN forced a commercial break...After the break Theismann was gone for the rest of the draft.

Wished I could find the full clip it was fucking awesome. Still get's me laughing..
This is the cut version, the first 1:45+ you get to see the start of the debate but they cut seconds before it blows up..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLXspJn0PY

Keep in mind it's Kiper vs Theismann, I wouldn't exactly call Joe a scout. Kiper gets paid to do it. I like Theismann but come on, he's Joe Theismann......Kind of a moron.

Even though I hate Kiper he's more right then wrong. Sure it's not easy judging talent transitioning into the pro's but I think Kiper is good focusing as much on the mental aspects and separating + adding them to their physical ability. Or if a player has the physical and might have the brain to grow from a prospect into a player. Heart, work ethic and if a player can mentally evolve and intelligent enough to take the next step....Kiper points out simple stuff, a player who lacks speed but takes good angles to make tackles. Or it if he's never out of position and fills his gap but needs to adjust for the cutbacks...While others focus on their 40yd dash and think they can teach a stupid player to be a ball hawk.
-----------------------

PS......If anyone finds the full Mel vs Joe video the story or even the transcript from their fight I'll put them on my xmas list. I remember thinking someone's going to get hit with a folding chair during the ESPN draft! One of those things I've always wanted to watch again.

So ya, I don't like Mel, he's a douche but I respect a majority of his opinions. Once you get past his arrogant fuckery.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

Damn, UtahRatt. That's one hell of a reply! Thank you.
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Would have summed it up in in a few words but I'll never forget the Theismann fight, it gave me an acid flash back. That shit was good television.

He has his haters, what's your take? I don't get to see him much if he's on college gameday. I don't really like hearing him talk, he needs to be in a group of 4 where he just tosses in a line or two and shuts up.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:Every year, I see his dopey ass on SC. But, never paid much attention to him.
He's actually very good on the weekend radio.

For a tool.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil