Two NFL Teams in Los Angeles-Epic Fail

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Scandal2000
Headlining Clubs

Two NFL Teams in Los Angeles-Epic Fail

Post by Scandal2000 »

I knew when the Chargers decided to relocate to Los Angeles this was a bad idea. I didn't have as much of a problem with the Rams going back to Los Angeles due to them being there for a number of years before going to St.Louis.However, I was not convinced the Rams would be able to draw in L.A. either. There are so many other sports there and so much to do in L.A. I definitely can't see the Chargers being there long-term. California just isn't supporting the NFL that much. The Raiders are headed to Las Vegas in a few years. I think the NFL made a real mistake allowing the Chargers to relocate to L.A. They can't even fill up a 30,000 seat stadium right now.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Two NFL Teams in Los Angeles-Epic Fail

Post by FullDJacket »

I knew this could happen because the NFL were at an all time high peak the years before the Rams moved to L.A. And sports league in this country go up and down even if most people are too stupid to realize that. The NFL wasn't that hot in the mid 90s. I remember that. It was the worst timing for the Rams because last year was a bad year for the NFL with all the national anthem controversy and declining tv-ratings.

From what I can tell no sports team will ever impact the LA public consciousness like the Dodgers and the Lakers. There might not be enough native LA people to support one or two NFL teams (wasn't that the problem in the 80s and 90s?), so many of the people who live in LA come from other parts of the country (or Mexico) and already have a favourite NFL-team.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Pretty cool NFL has both team play home games sameday
Why would anyone spend a Sunday in LA or San Diego watching a game live..only 3 billion other things to do.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

After living the deep south so long, whenever I'm in Cali I'm always amazed at how they act about football. Even growing up in a small town in central NY, people loved football.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

NeverSurrender wrote:After living the deep south so long, whenever I'm in Cali I'm always amazed at how they act about football. Even growing up in a small town in central NY, people loved football.
Exactly 100% right on couldn't of said it better!!!

You don't think there's a thing or two to do in NYC arguably the capital of the world but yet they have and support two teams one of which is as fucked up as a soup sandwich yet there are still diehard Jets fans.

The NFL has guaranteed that their precious nation-wide TV ratings will go down by having not one but two NFL teams in LA.

When it comes to the NFL all I can think of is fuck LA.

Like NS mentioned put one of those teams in OKC and the other one somewhere in Alabama and watch how much more success they have compared to being in LA.
Peterbilt
Headlining Clubs

Post by Peterbilt »

eddie lee roth wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:After living the deep south so long, whenever I'm in Cali I'm always amazed at how they act about football. Even growing up in a small town in central NY, people loved football.
Exactly 100% right on couldn't of said it better!!!

You don't think there's a thing or two to do in NYC arguably the capital of the world but yet they have and support two teams one of which is as fucked up as a soup sandwich yet there are still diehard Jets fans.

The NFL has guaranteed that their precious nation-wide TV ratings will go down by having not one but two NFL teams in LA.

When it comes to the NFL all I can think of is fuck LA.

Like NS mentioned put one of those teams in OKC and the other one somewhere in Alabama and watch how much more success they have compared to being in LA.
OKC, maybe, but Alabama? No way. Those hicks are all about "Roll Damn Tide". And isn't that part of the problem in LA? They can't get enough USC. Alabama would be the same way.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

I won't argue with you on Alabama. I can see that might be a problem and you can't forget Auburn also. Put the Chargers/Rams somewhere in the south and they'll succeed.
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

I love LA and I totally get this. Fuck the NFL. Too much to do in Southern California than watch the NFzl.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Desslar

Post by Desslar »

Those teams are posers anyway. Everyone knows LA football fans are all about the LA Express.

Artemis2085

Post by Artemis2085 »

I could get the concept. But wrong way of going about it. Wrong teams, too. Even in the 30 For 30, Ice Cube, Snoop, all those guys go into how most people in LA will root for the Raiders. You've got the Chargers playing in a soccer field.

Fuck Roger Goodell and what he's done to ruin the league.

As for football in the 90's, it was popular and that's when the ratings picked back up. After the strike season it took them some time to get credibility and excitement back, just like baseball. And when the Cowboys started their run, that's what got the league over again. They were "edgy" and that's what the 90's so desperately tried to be.
Professional Hater
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Potato cakes.
Aesop wrote: I tire of pussies that refuse to speak their mind, defend this great nation, or seek employment.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

Yeah, I doubt the university of Alabama would let an NFL team go there anyways.

Did you know they never play small colleges in Alabama? They'd rather pay small schools from out of state. They even tried to run UAB's football team off. They're a bunch of corrupt dicks
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

NeverSurrender wrote:Yeah, I doubt the university of Alabama would let an NFL team go there anyways.

Did you know they never play small colleges in Alabama? They'd rather pay small schools from out of state. They even tried to run UAB's football team off. They're a bunch of corrupt dicks
who cares? college football? really?

I'm sure it matters but I'm just like who, what, where, why, whatever...

Artemis2085 wrote: As for football in the 90's, it was popular and that's when the ratings picked back up. After the strike season it took them some time to get credibility and excitement back, just like baseball. And when the Cowboys started their run, that's what got the league over again. They were "edgy" and that's what the 90's so desperately tried to be.
From my recollection, and I admit I could be wrong, NBA and NHL were super hot in the mid 90s. Record setting years as far as tv-ratings go..when MLB came back from their strike they had a number of years with sluggers and sportscentre highlights/top 10s and MLB was really hot. In the middle of this was NFL, NFL was still the no.1 sport but it wasn't hot, it wasn't cool. The two LA team had to relocate, the Cleveland and Houston teams went bankrupt, the Madden games sucked...it was a whole thing right? I know it was still the no.1 sport but the major leagues go up and down, that's my point.
Civil_war
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Civil_war »

Relocate to Toronto, expand the league into Canada. I guarantee if there was an NFL team in Toronto, it would make good and constant business - regardless of talent.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

Civil_war wrote:Relocate to Toronto, expand the league into Canada. I guarantee if there was an NFL team in Toronto, it would make good and constant business - regardless of talent.
the argument was always that Toronto already has a team in Buffalo and that you see tons of Canadians at the sunday games in Buffalo.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Bills haven't soldout a game this year with Canada help

NFL doesn't care if LA teams sellout, fans showing up doesnt matter much

Sunday 75* sunny goodluck competing with that Chargers
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"