Ted Williams VS. Babe Ruth: Who was a better hitter?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

supertzar7078
Headlining Clubs

Ted Williams VS. Babe Ruth: Who was a better hitter?

Post by supertzar7078 »

And don't forget to take into account that Williams missed almost 5 of his prime years to military service.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Re: Ted Williams VS. Babe Ruth: Who was a better hitter?

Post by killeverything »

Williams and it's not even close. Out of 9788 PA, Ted struck out 789 times. Ruth OTOH came to bat 10628 times and whiffed 1330.

It's difficult to find a more fearsome power hitter than Ruth though, Bonds surpassed him....or did he? The PED cloud will forever taint that. As for sheer batting talent ( all combined power average, etc ) Williams is the GOAT.
supertzar7078
Headlining Clubs

Post by supertzar7078 »

killeverything wrote:Williams and it's not even close. Out of 9788 PA, Ted struck out 789 times. Ruth OTOH came to bat 10628 times and whiffed 1330.

It's difficult to find a more fearsome power hitter than Ruth though, Bonds surpassed him....or did he? The PED cloud will forever taint that. As for sheer batting talent ( all combined power average, etc ) Williams is the GOAT.
Can't say I disagree with Williams as your pick. But it is interesting to note Ruth had a career SLG of .6897, while Williams is at .6338
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

supertzar7078 wrote:
killeverything wrote:Williams and it's not even close. Out of 9788 PA, Ted struck out 789 times. Ruth OTOH came to bat 10628 times and whiffed 1330.

Can't say I disagree with Williams as your pick. But it is interesting to note Ruth had a career SLG of .6897, while Williams is at .6338
No one outslugged Ruth. Literally. That was my point though. Unless you're getting a HR, Ruth wasn't your guy. When I think of great hitter I think of the whole package.

Ichiro impresses me more than a McGwire ( #7 ) that only hit for power and was juiced to the gills his whole career.

I found it interesting that Ruth and Williams sit at #1 & 2 on the alltime list. In fact the top 6 are:

Ruth
Williams
Gehrig
Foxx
Bonds
Greenburg

All are names you would expect to be there. I thought Bonds, Aaron ( #21! ) and Willie Mays ( #18 ) would he higher. I thought Bonds had surpassed everyone. I know he has the single season record. In fact that one goes:

Bonds*
Ruth
Ruth
Bonds*
Bonds*
Ruth

Mike Trout is 25 has been playing for 7 years and sits at #11. Holy shit.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

Williams had the keenest eye in the history of baseball. Not even Barry Bonds can measure up. For that, I give Williams the edge. You noted the military service effectively shortening his career too.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
Pierce Foreskin
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Pierce Foreskin »

Pure hitter? The Splendid Splinter, hands down. Power? Edge to Ruth.
They say Teddy ballgame coukd count the seams on a fastball.
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.