Tony Gwynn VS. Wade Boggs: Best pure hitter?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

supertzar7078
Headlining Clubs

Tony Gwynn VS. Wade Boggs: Best pure hitter?

Post by supertzar7078 »

What say you?
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Re: Tony Gwynn VS. Wade Boggs: Best pure hitter?

Post by killeverything »

Gwynn. He's the closest thing to Ted Williams we've seen. Through their San Diego connection ( Williams' home town ) they established a friendship/mentoring(?). If the strike didn't happen during the Selig-era ( I, along with Tony, and many others ) believe he would have hit .400. Even though George Brett is the closest to post '41.

Boggs was an incredible hitter that knew how to use Fenway to his advantage. Like Williams, Boggs cared solely about his hitting above all else.

He has even stated he would stop on second when he knew he had a triple to raise his doubles for the season. This was a difficult question because both are neck and neck. I give the edge to Gwynn though, slightly.
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

Man, Tony Gwynn was like Superman to us what I was a kid. Every kid had a t-shirt or a jersey or a button or whatever with his name or a 19 on it. He used to do commercials for El Cajon Ford, a local dealership. When my mom bought her Mustang, he was actually at the dealership shooting a commercial and he signed stuff for people and was super cool. Class act, Tony Gwynn.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

I'd have to say Boggs only because I watched him play almost every day.
Gwynn I only really saw on highlights but his stats were amazing.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Gwynn made me like MLB(lifelong San Diego fan) and a dude was named Strawberry
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Gwynn
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I dug Gwynn and hated watching him step up to the plate vs my team.....I used to call him a half swinger or a bunt swinger after he'd hit .700 in a series full of singles and a couple doubles vs LAD. It's like there was a magnet in the ball and his bat. Bogg's was one of the few Yankees I always liked, great swing without a doubt but Gwynn to me was a machine.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

Rod Carew
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

Gwynn who won eight battling titles.

Ichiro Suzuki is up there as well. No less an authority than pitcher Randy Johnson said Suzuki was one of the best he faced. Suzuki would foul off ball after ball locking himself in until he got a pitch he could drive for a base hit.
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

john3232 wrote:Gwynn who won eight battling titles.

Ichiro Suzuki is up there as well. No less an authority than pitcher Randy Johnson said Suzuki was one of the best he faced. Suzuki would foul off ball after ball locking himself in until he got a pitch he could drive for a base hit.
I think he would have topped Pete Rose ( he did technically ) if he played his entire career in the states. He said he could be a 40HR guy, but he tailored his swing for his leadoff position and didn't want to sacrifice BAA.
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

killeverything wrote:
john3232 wrote:Gwynn who won eight battling titles.

I think he would have topped Pete Rose ( he did technically ) if he played his entire career in the states. He said he could be a 40HR guy, but he tailored his swing for his leadoff position and didn't want to sacrifice BAA.

Suzuki was an interesting guy. In high school as well as with Orix Blue Wave of the Japanese Pacific League Suzuki would at times refused to do what he was ordered. Which in Japanese baseball as well in J-society isn't advisable. For example he refused to alter his batting stance early in his career when his J-coaches recommended he do so. There were many in J-baseball who wanted him to fail when he moved to the States. But when he won the MVP/Rookie of the Year award in his first season playing US ball it was a big fuck-you to his doubters back in Japan.
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
gatomike
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by gatomike »

I moved to San Diego when I was three in 1980 where I spent most my life so of course I'm gonna say Gwyn.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I got into baseball in 1998 when I was at UCSD and the Padres went to the series, so Gwynn.

His stats were amazing, but it always astonished me that a guy who was not a small man, and could see the ball like nobody else, didn't hit for a little more power.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

demolition23 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:00 am I got into baseball in 1998 when I was at UCSD and the Padres went to the series, so Gwynn.

His stats were amazing, but it always astonished me that a guy who was not a small man, and could see the ball like nobody else, didn't hit for a little more power.
A few friends were having this discussion a few weeks ago, about Tony Gwynn's lack of power. It is interesting. He was great outfielder, which no one ever remembers. I think he won 5 Gold Gloves.

Hitting - I would take Gwynn every time against Boggs. He was just incredible.