The NHL is unwatchable in 2017

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

The NHL is unwatchable in 2017

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

First off. I am a season ticket holder to the Arizona Coyotes which is bad enough, but I also come from a hockey family. Father played professionally on Long Island with John Brophy so I kinda know what I’m talking about.
What happened to the physical aspect of the game?? There is absolutely no hitting or intimidating anymore. There are no huge stars anymore and Bettman has the game so watered down its atrocious. Fuck I miss goons and fights and hip checks. This product is poor. And yeah, the Coyotes really suck.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Desslar
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: The NHL is unwatchable in 2017

Post by Desslar »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:First off. I am a season ticket holder to the Arizona Coyotes which is bad enough, but I also come from a hockey family. Father played professionally on Long Island with John Brophy so I kinda know what I’m talking about.
What happened to the physical aspect of the game?? There is absolutely no hitting or intimidating anymore. There are no huge stars anymore and Bettman has the game so watered down its atrocious. Fuck I miss goons and fights and hip checks. This product is poor. And yeah, the Coyotes really suck.
I haven't been to an NHL game in about 7 years. Do they not still stop play every 10 minutes for a drawn-out fistfight?
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Absolutely no fight. They blow kisses and every 2 minutes they stop the game so skaters can shovel shaved ice .
Desslar

Post by Desslar »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:Absolutely no fight. They blow kisses and every 2 minutes they stop the game so skaters can shovel shaved ice .
Really? Are fights outlawed?
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

This is best year for NHL in decades first year team from Vegas will win the cup
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

Couldn't disagree more. The NHL is better than it's ever been and more popular than it's ever been. First off the fighting. I'm glad its way down and hopefully will be done away with completely in the near future. It is just preposterously stupid and pointless and adds nothing to the game. Fighters and goons are a waste of roster space and most teams realize that now so that era is thankfully going the way of the dinosaur. The excessive physicality and hitting to injure is also stupid and also being weaned out. That is what is going to be the downfall of the NFL and I think the NHL is being smarter and more proactive about eliminating all the unnecessary stuff and the injury potential which is going to ensure that more kids will be allowed by their parents to play the game and become the NHLers of the future. There has been a lot happening on that front in the junior leagues with visors and faceshields, charging and boarding rule changes etc. You can have good physical hockey without concussions and skull fractures and career ending injuries. The Scott Stevens hits were impressive to watch on Sportscenter highlights but were they any good for the game? No.

Also there is great parity in the league now as opposed to the dynasty eras of the 60's 70's and 80's when the Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers won almost every cup for 20 years. We've had a good rotation of Stanley Cup winners and this year the Vegas Knights are a cup contender in their debut season. That would have never happened 30 years ago. The game is a lot tighter defensively and faster and play oriented now and the result is we no longer have the ridiculous scoring derbies of the 80's and 90's when guys were scoring 60, 70, 80 and even 90 goals a season. Even so-so players like Bernie Nicholls were scoring 50 to 60 goals a year for fucks sake. That was getting silly too. There may not be the huge stars like Gretzky or Lemieux now but there are a lot more potent forwards in general and almost every team (even the shitty ones) has at least one or two. You also get the guys that are backing up the stars and outdoing them like Kucherov with Stamkos, Malkin and Kessel with Crosby. Great young teams in Winnipeg and Minnesota........there's a better playoff system with the wild card..........a salary cap that works great...........I could go on and on. And yes Arizona sucks.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Seattle or Portland need NHL team..no teams in northwest is lame

Teams in Nevada Arizona Florida proves NHL is doing well and best time for the sport

Best pro sport live that isn’t pro beach volleyball is NHL
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

i miss big hits. every time a guy gets rocked a fight starts.
over a hit.
stupid.
there's lots of stars. glad the goons that can't play are gone.
there are no more bob proberts or terry o'reilys. they were replaced by colton orr and john scott. embarrassing.
KISSRULES06

Post by KISSRULES06 »

Try being a Sabres fan
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

In my opinion, hockey has been unwatchable forever. Fuck hockey and hockey fans who think they're sport is something. Go skate on the ice, ballerina.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Grew up as an Islanders fan in the '70's, but when I moved to NC in the mid 80's, there was zero NHL tv coverage. So it's been a long time since I've paid attention to the NHL. We do have a local AHL team though, which is a fun (and inexpensive) night out.

One thing I noticed while watching old Islanders videos on YouTube, is how much slower the game used to be, with not as much "dump and chase". And goalies weren't 6+ foot behemoths whose bodies covered the entire net.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:Grew up as an Islanders fan in the '70's, but when I moved to NC in the mid 80's, there was zero NHL tv coverage. So it's been a long time since I've paid attention to the NHL. We do have a local AHL team though, which is a fun (and inexpensive) night out.

One thing I noticed while watching old Islanders videos on YouTube, is how much slower the game used to be, with not as much "dump and chase". And goalies weren't 6+ foot behemoths whose bodies covered the entire net.
Lil Chico vs Ben Bishop!

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:First off. I am a season ticket holder to the Arizona Coyotes which is bad enough, but I also come from a hockey family. Father played professionally on Long Island with John Brophy so I kinda know what I’m talking about.
:lol:

Well, I know why straight away.

This is the best season of the NHL for many years imo. And yeah, there is still fighting. Thank goodness!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

fret123 wrote:Couldn't disagree more. The NHL is better than it's ever been and more popular than it's ever been. First off the fighting. I'm glad its way down and hopefully will be done away with completely in the near future. It is just preposterously stupid and pointless and adds nothing to the game. Fighters and goons are a waste of roster space and most teams realize that now so that era is thankfully going the way of the dinosaur. The excessive physicality and hitting to injure is also stupid and also being weaned out. That is what is going to be the downfall of the NFL and I think the NHL is being smarter and more proactive about eliminating all the unnecessary stuff and the injury potential which is going to ensure that more kids will be allowed by their parents to play the game and become the NHLers of the future. There has been a lot happening on that front in the junior leagues with visors and faceshields, charging and boarding rule changes etc. You can have good physical hockey without concussions and skull fractures and career ending injuries. The Scott Stevens hits were impressive to watch on Sportscenter highlights but were they any good for the game? No.

Also there is great parity in the league now as opposed to the dynasty eras of the 60's 70's and 80's when the Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers won almost every cup for 20 years. We've had a good rotation of Stanley Cup winners and this year the Vegas Knights are a cup contender in their debut season. That would have never happened 30 years ago. The game is a lot tighter defensively and faster and play oriented now and the result is we no longer have the ridiculous scoring derbies of the 80's and 90's when guys were scoring 60, 70, 80 and even 90 goals a season. Even so-so players like Bernie Nicholls were scoring 50 to 60 goals a year for fucks sake. That was getting silly too. There may not be the huge stars like Gretzky or Lemieux now but there are a lot more potent forwards in general and almost every team (even the shitty ones) has at least one or two. You also get the guys that are backing up the stars and outdoing them like Kucherov with Stamkos, Malkin and Kessel with Crosby. Great young teams in Winnipeg and Minnesota........there's a better playoff system with the wild card..........a salary cap that works great...........I could go on and on. And yes Arizona sucks.
Agree to disagree!
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

I'm pro fighting for lack of a better word but what I don't understand is the league essentially got rid of it but still let's guys like Brad Marchand run around and injure people? You see many more concussions from cheap hits than you do a fight.

Earl
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Shit I thought this was the NFL thread....It's the new generation of cotton candy sports. Maybe Vince McMahon can start up an XHL.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

McQuaid fought last night.
It may happen less often but you appreciate it more when it does. :mrgreen:
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
ratt_gang_member
Headlining Clubs

Post by ratt_gang_member »

Go Jets Go!
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:First off. I am a season ticket holder to the Arizona Coyotes
That shit is unwatchable.

I don't care about fighting and there's no way that level of rough stuff could continue with the head trauma lawsuits. The league seems faster and more skilled than ever. 19-20 year olds are coming in and dominating. USA hockey has never been stronger.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Being a Ranger fan............It's going to be awhile.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

UtahRatt wrote:Being a Ranger fan............It's going to be awhile.
Devils and Rangers traded for the first time ever today/last night. Hopefully someone on the Devils not named Hall can put a few in the net!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Aerosmith87 wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Being a Ranger fan............It's going to be awhile.
Devils and Rangers traded for the first time ever today/last night. Hopefully someone on the Devils not named Hall can put a few in the net!

I hope Grab's helps NJ go deep.....Fuck the Rangers were over achieving with that busted up team and looking to be what I though was their last post run for sometime until they hit a 3-13-0 since Jan. 20 wall. So they get rid of Grabner and still have Nash. BLAAA.....Yegor Rykov and a 2nd RD? Whatever....I've had a tough time with sports teams and everything else. 2017, worst year ever.
Lance Uppercut
Playing in a Garage

Post by Lance Uppercut »

The only thing worse than regular season is the playoffs. Refs gotta let things slide bc its the play offs :roll: so guys start hacking and slashing and cross checking. Kesler gave McDavid that cross check to the lower ribs in the play offs last year that sure slowed McDavid down. No call though bc its the playoffs and we gotta make sure its super intense regardless of who gets hurt. It used to be the clutching and grabbing that slowed everything down, now its the stick work. Theres not much for big hits, defensemen are just waving their sticks instead of standing guys up or sweeping in w hip checks. I lost interest a few years ago, I watch the odd Oilers game in hopes that McDavid will dazzle me but after a few mins I usually start staring at my phone. Back in my day...
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

The injury reports that come out after the playoffs always amaze me. Hearing that so and so was playing with a broken rib and cracked thumb for a few weeks, etc.
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Game is boring. Johnny Weir could do commentating nowadays. Fuck I miss Clarke Gilles, Tie Domi, Bon Probert, Shane Churla and Racki!!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

If you watch hockey for the fights, you don’t like hockey.

Physicality, with a purpose, is fine. A guy should not have to answer the bell for delivering a clean hit though.

Two warriors, truly frustrated with each other, spontaneously dropping the gloves is fine too. Example Iginla/Lecavalier in 2004 cup final:

https://youtu.be/Txhs_g5O7E8

However, two idiots, playing 4 minutes a night on the fourth line, agreeing to “go” off the face off to preserve their jobs is utterly stupid. I’m thrilled those guys have been eradicated.

The skill level, speed - shots - puck handling, of kids coming into the league right now is off the charts. What is there not to like?
Lance Uppercut
Playing in a Garage

Post by Lance Uppercut »

WOLF wrote:If you watch hockey for the fights, you don’t like hockey.

Physicality, with a purpose, is fine. A guy should not have to answer the bell for delivering a clean hit though.

Two warriors, truly frustrated with each other, spontaneously dropping the gloves is fine too. Example Iginla/Lecavalier in 2004 cup final:

However, two idiots, playing 4 minutes a night on the fourth line, agreeing to “go” off the face off to preserve their jobs is utterly stupid. I’m thrilled those guys have been eradicated.

The skill level, speed - shots - puck handling, of kids coming into the league right now is off the charts. What is there not to like?

And fights were getting "scripted" too, set up weeks/months in advance, so it just became a spectator show.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Lance Uppercut wrote:
WOLF wrote:If you watch hockey for the fights, you don’t like hockey.

And fights were getting "scripted" too, set up weeks/months in advance, so it just became a spectator show.
you might want to explain this before everyone in the hockey universe knights you "sir stupid of idiot"
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

fret123 wrote: Also there is great parity in the league now as opposed to the dynasty eras of the 60's 70's and 80's when the Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers won almost every cup for 20 years. We've had a good rotation of Stanley Cup winners and this year the Vegas Knights are a cup contender in their debut season. That would have never happened 30 years ago. The game is a lot tighter defensively and faster and play oriented now and the result is we no longer have the ridiculous scoring derbies of the 80's and 90's when guys were scoring 60, 70, 80 and even 90 goals a season. Even so-so players like Bernie Nicholls were scoring 50 to 60 goals a year for fucks sake. That was getting silly too. There may not be the huge stars like Gretzky or Lemieux now but there are a lot more potent forwards in general and almost every team (even the shitty ones) has at least one or two. You also get the guys that are backing up the stars and outdoing them like Kucherov with Stamkos, Malkin and Kessel with Crosby. Great young teams in Winnipeg and Minnesota........there's a better playoff system with the wild card..........a salary cap that works great...........I could go on and on. And yes Arizona sucks.
Low scoring games are what makes it boring. I always enjoyed an 8 - 6 score more than a 1 - 0 snorefest. That and Bernie Nicholls was not a so-so player. He was a superstar. You might be a bit younger than me and didn't see him until the twilight of his career but the guy was definitely a great player. He was hitting high goal totals without Wayne Gretzky on the team. People seem to have a similar opinion of Mike Gartner even though he hit 30+ goals 14 years in a row.....something Wayne Gretzky didn't do.
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

bigbuttskinner wrote:In my opinion, hockey has been unwatchable forever. Fuck hockey and hockey fans who think they're sport is something. Go skate on the ice, ballerina.
You're a retard. No sense arguing with you.