What Major Pro US Sport has suffered the worst decline?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

What Major Pro US Sport has suffered the worst decline?

Post by NeverSurrender »

Lots of sports are declining. The NFL ratings are way down. NHL ratings are down, but they sell most of their tickets. NBA playoff ratings are mostly down - don't kill me if I'm wrong, don't follow the NBA - But nothing is like NASCAR. They've lost 50 percent of their viewers from 14 years ago, and most races have tons of empty seats.

What's your opinion?
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: What Major Pro US Sport has suffered the worst decline?

Post by LAglamrocker »

Boxing
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

NeverSurrender wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm Lots of sports are declining. The NFL ratings are way down. NHL ratings are down, but they sell most of their tickets. NBA playoff ratings are mostly down - don't kill me if I'm wrong, don't follow the NBA - But nothing is like NASCAR. They've lost 50 percent of their viewers from 14 years ago, and most races have tons of empty seats.

What's your opinion?
Interesting question
NFL might be in for a sharp decline but that's from an all time high so they're going to be fine. In my lifetime there has never been a sport league that has been as popular as NFL was 2005ish to 2016.

What saves the NHL is that they have a young audience and an affluent audience.

Nascar is interesting but I don't know enough to comment. I watched a couple of minutes of the race on saturday night and I couldn't help but to notice that there was a driver from Mexico and is Danica still driving Nascar? They're pushing that diversity..
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

At its current state, boxing is almost surpassing NASCAR.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Boxing is a good one. They've declined so far, they can't get much lower.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

NeverSurrender wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm Boxing is a good one. They've declined so far, they can't get much lower.
Yeah, boxing is fucked. I much prefer it as a sport, but UFC has just run rings around then in terms of the events they put on. Monthly PPVs with multiple meaningful bouts and a clear cut set of titles? Boxing can’t come close even though it can still pull the odd huge money fight.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Hockey has fallen off the radar. No tv and no physical play. Product is weak.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 pm Hockey has fallen off the radar. No tv and no physical play. Product is weak.
We are talking about from a fan and numbers perspective, bassmaster. The NHL sucks now, but it certainly hasn't declined as much as other sports.
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

The NFL is on a downward spiral. The kneeling during anthem, the felons playing every Sunday and the holier than thou mentality of the league has/is turning people off in droves.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:32 am The NFL is on a downward spiral. The kneeling during anthem, the felons playing every Sunday and the holier than thou mentality of the league has/is turning people off in droves.
Not at all. Made a big profit last year and it won't stop any time soon. I don't know why people continue to say the NFL is hurting because it clearly is not affecting their bottom line.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The NFL ratings have declined by 20 percent the last 3 seasons. If that continues, teir bottom line will be fucked.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

More lies. For example, you must not know much about the NFL's tv deals because they are extremely lucrative. More often than not, the people I see/hear saying the NFL is in a big decline, etc are the same people obsessed with "they hate the country! stand up!" rhetoric. If so, don't let your displeasure override the facts in this instance.

https://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reimer/ ... -last-year

There were lots of actual sports on TV Thursday. The NBA and NHL playoffs both held playoff games and 20 MLB teams were in action. But millions of sports fans opted to watch future NFL rookies pose for pictures with customized jerseys. (And see Roger Goodell get booed, even though he used Cowboys legends as human shields.)

For the first time, the first-round of the NFL Draft was broadcast on three networks. The abundance of coverage only meant more viewers. ESPN, Fox and NFL Network combined for an 8.3 cable rating, the highest mark since 2014. Last year, ESPN and the NFL Network combined for a 6.7.

Few events speak to the overwhelming popularity of the NFL more than the draft. The first-round has become a primetime spectacle that drives the news cycle in late April, even while the NBA playoffs are going on. The NFL is seeing a dip in viewers, but it still dwarfs almost everything else on TV. Last year, the league claimed 37 of the top 50 highest-rated shows.

This demand was also reflected earlier Thursday, when Amazon renewed its streaming agreement with the NFL for “Thursday Night Football” for the cool total of $65 million per year. Even though TNF is usually derided as the league’s worst primetime package, Fox Sports forked over $3.3 billion in January to carry the games.
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

What did I lie about? Ratings are down 20 percent in the last 3 seasons. This is very provable. Here's anan article from October showing it was already at 18 percent.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... -down.html

But only you could say it's not declining but then give multiple reasons errrrr excuses why it declined. Hilarious .

And I never said the NFL isn't still popular. I said ratings have declined. They have.

One more thing. You're really fucking stupid. I mean really fucking stupid. Now go put another fake quote in your sig to complete me owning your ass. Again.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

bigbuttskinner wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am More lies. For example, you must not know much about the NFL's tv deals because they are extremely lucrative. More often than not, the people I see/hear saying the NFL is in a big decline, etc are the same people obsessed with "they hate the country! stand up!" rhetoric. If so, don't let your displeasure override the facts in this instance.

There were lots of actual sports on TV Thursday. The NBA and NHL playoffs both held playoff games and 20 MLB teams were in action. But millions of sports fans opted to watch future NFL rookies pose for pictures with customized jerseys. (And see Roger Goodell get booed, even though he used Cowboys legends as human shields.)

For the first time, the first-round of the NFL Draft was broadcast on three networks. The abundance of coverage only meant more viewers. ESPN, Fox and NFL Network combined for an 8.3 cable rating, the highest mark since 2014. Last year, ESPN and the NFL Network combined for a 6.7.

Few events speak to the overwhelming popularity of the NFL more than the draft. The first-round has become a primetime spectacle that drives the news cycle in late April, even while the NBA playoffs are going on. The NFL is seeing a dip in viewers, but it still dwarfs almost everything else on TV. Last year, the league claimed 37 of the top 50 highest-rated shows.

This demand was also reflected earlier Thursday, when Amazon renewed its streaming agreement with the NFL for “Thursday Night Football” for the cool total of $65 million per year. Even though TNF is usually derided as the league’s worst primetime package, Fox Sports forked over $3.3 billion in January to carry the games.
Way to shoot yourself in the foot! :lol:

So viewership is declining!

No one is denying it isn't massively popular still.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

pieceofme wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 pm
bigbuttskinner wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am More lies. For example, you must not know much about the NFL's tv deals because they are extremely lucrative. More often than not, the people I see/hear saying the NFL is in a big decline, etc are the same people obsessed with "they hate the country! stand up!" rhetoric. If so, don't let your displeasure override the facts in this instance.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot! :lol:

So viewership is declining!

No one is denying it isn't massively popular still.
I actually pay for Amazon prime and they do have a wealth of NFL-documentaries and NFL-films-stuff. Not that I watch it but anyway, the live broadcast of Thursday night football is NOT the reason I pay $11 a month. And I can't even watch a replay or highlights of the game
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

NeverSurrender wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm The NFL ratings have declined by 20 percent the last 3 seasons. If that continues, teir bottom line will be fucked.
That's your mistake. Overall, sports as a whole are down but the NFL is still king and their bottom line hasn't been affected. The whole point is that for any gripe people think they have, people still watch the NFL and it makes more money than any other big league. What's difficult to understand?
referring to Queen movie
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

I have access to all Nielsen ratings through work. Anyone want anything specific pulled? I can do it for you on Tuesday. I'm not touching that shit until then.

Sports is very seldom time-shifted, meaning watching on demand or DVRing it for later. I know that NBC Sports, ESPN, etc. have been pushing their digital offerings on top of their traditional TV viewing platforms. Going a little further, Hulu was streaming NHL playoffs, and Amazon/Twitter streamed some NFL games. That said, I wouldn't imagine the shift in viewership is as extensive as it is with regular broadcast dramas and comedies. Maybe it's all the politics, or there are just shit 'storylines' these days...though I think the NHL has a pretty good one this time around with Vegas vs. Ovechkin & the Capitals.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

Shooting buffalo.

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm Shooting buffalo.
Ratings up double digits (11%) across the 65+ age group year over year.
KevinFL
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by KevinFL »

bigbuttskinner wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 am
NeverSurrender wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm The NFL ratings have declined by 20 percent the last 3 seasons. If that continues, teir bottom line will be fucked.
That's your mistake. Overall, sports as a whole are down but the NFL is still king and their bottom line hasn't been affected. The whole point is that for any gripe people think they have, people still watch the NFL and it makes more money than any other big league. What's difficult to understand?
The bottom line may not be hurting yet, but IF ratings continue to drop, so will the value of the next TV contract when it comes up for negotiation. That is when the decline is apparent.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I predict another 10 percent ratings drop for the NFL this season.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

NeverSurrender wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:51 pm I predict another 10 percent ratings drop for the NFL this season.
Eat shit. Beat your drum for this on the interstate. I'll take that bet and let's make it loser leaves this board forever, no returning under any name. Deal?
referring to Queen movie
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

They've fallen 18 percent in 2 years and the asshole millennials players are still crying. It's going to be fun to watch them collapse further.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

bigbuttskinner wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 am
NeverSurrender wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:51 pm I predict another 10 percent ratings drop for the NFL this season.
Eat shit. Beat your drum for this on the interstate. I'll take that bet and let's make it loser leaves this board forever, no returning under any name. Deal?
As I said, I have access to Nielsen ratings. We can figure it out in January after the end of the regular season. Name your demographic and we'll see how the ratings decline is!
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

The only question is how far will they fall? They sure as hel ain't gonna' go up.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:17 pm
As I said, I have access to Nielsen ratings. We can figure it out in January after the end of the regular season. Name your demographic and we'll see how the ratings decline is!
No demographic specifically,; just the NFL as a whole. Btw. don't feel big getting Nielsen ratings; tons of people get that.
referring to Queen movie
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

bigbuttskinner wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:55 pm
Aerosmith87 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:17 pm
No demographic specifically,; just the NFL as a whole. Btw. don't feel big getting Nielsen ratings; tons of people get that.
Don't feel big! I want a new job. You got anything open, Nielsen?