Sitting at a NHL game right now and so fucking bored

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Sitting at a NHL game right now and so fucking bored

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

A lifelong hockey fan who grew up in a hockey family and this product is boring. Fuck I miss hockey of the 80’s and 90’s. Not sure I can stomach much more of this finesse shit. Absolutely no intimidation anymore. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Bassmaster1984

Re: Sitting at a NHL game right now and so fucking bored

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

And the between plays arena music is horrific and shit. Rap and EDM shit. Since when did the NHL turn into a rap concert???
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

what barn are you at?
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Florida at Arizona
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm A lifelong hockey fan who grew up in a hockey family and this product is boring. Fuck I miss hockey of the 80’s and 90’s. Not sure I can stomach much more of this finesse shit. Absolutely no intimidation anymore. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
It's the same way in the minors.

I've been to two SPHL games this season. I used to drive an hour each way to watch single A pro hockey 15-20 times a year. I haven't seen a fight live in 3 years.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

I've made this claim before but here we go.......mid 90s NHL was the best! You had all those russian and soviet bloc players coming into the league, Gretzky in LA, the video games on Sega Genesis...

Right now it's likely that 90% of all the best players are in the NHL but in the 90s it was 100%.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

It’s a boring product. Kills me to think this way but it’s true. Miss the goons terribly.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 am Florida at Arizona
haven't been to the new rink but i went to a couple games in phoenix. really shitty place to see a game. most of the crowd was clueless to what was going on.
i saw a bit of that game. goaltending was pretty good. two pretty good teams but nothing flashy. watching the canucks the last couple years have been have been pretty good. last year when they were losing the games were still entertaining. this year they're winning so it's even better.
there aren't any big rivalries like edmonton/calgary, rangers/islanders anymore. those are always hard hitting fun games. guys starting fights over clean bodychecks is killing the game. give a hit, take a hit.....
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:24 pm
Bassmaster1984 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 am Florida at Arizona
haven't been to the new rink but i went to a couple games in phoenix. really shitty place to see a game. most of the crowd was clueless to what was going on.
i saw a bit of that game. goaltending was pretty good. two pretty good teams but nothing flashy. watching the canucks the last couple years have been have been pretty good. last year when they were losing the games were still entertaining. this year they're winning so it's even better.
there aren't any big rivalries like edmonton/calgary, rangers/islanders anymore. those are always hard hitting fun games. guys starting fights over clean bodychecks is killing the game. give a hit, take a hit.....
It’s the fans in Arizona... or lack of. I flew down a few years ago to watch the Flames play the Coyotes. I can tell you. No amount of beer could have made that game fun. The arena couldn’t have been more than 1/4 full. It was like going to the library to watch the UFC . It’s a nice arena but there is ZERO atmosphere. It’s the same as going to an empty concert, it’s just hard to get into the show.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Anyone here that says "mid-90's NHL was the best" wasn't watching the NHL at the time or is completely out of their fucking mind.

The mid-90's was when the trap was popularized. It was the most boring style of hockey ever invented, and it won Stanley Cups.

The New Jersey Devils perfected it and won...while driving long time hockey fans away from the game.

I believe the current style is mostly hindered by the product being too watered down (too many teams, not enough good players) and too many stoppages in play with things like TV time outs.

But to say that the mid-90's were the glory days is outright ridiculous. The style of play ruined the entertainment factor in hockey for the better part of a decade.
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

The glory days were the 80’s. Not the 90’s and sure as hell not today. Yeah the atmosphere in Phoenix for hockey lacks but the games lack as well. I watch games on tv from Denver, New York, Chicago, Vancouver etc... and the hockey is just as boring. The millennials all love each other. The game needs hatred again. Doesn’t matter where the games are played. Way too many Lady Byng participants today.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Lobo wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:18 am Anyone here that says "mid-90's NHL was the best" wasn't watching the NHL at the time or is completely out of their fucking mind.

The mid-90's was when the trap was popularized. It was the most boring style of hockey ever invented, and it won Stanley Cups.

The New Jersey Devils perfected it and won...while driving long time hockey fans away from the game.

I believe the current style is mostly hindered by the product being too watered down (too many teams, not enough good players) and too many stoppages in play with things like TV time outs.

But to say that the mid-90's were the glory days is outright ridiculous. The style of play ruined the entertainment factor in hockey for the better part of a decade.
Exactly. 80’s were great, but 90’s was the “dead puck era” and it almost ruined the game.

If you’re only into hockey for the fighting and physicality you’re missing a lot, as young players today are so fast and skilled, it blows my mind. Fighting is going to be gone soon - too much is at risk with concussions and other fighting related injuries. The game does not need fighting. Toughness and clean physicality yes, fighting no.
Bassmaster1984

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

The game needs intimidation and hatred in rivalries. Has neither right now.
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

Bassmaster1984 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm A lifelong hockey fan who grew up in a hockey family and this product is boring. Fuck I miss hockey of the 80’s and 90’s. Not sure I can stomach much more of this finesse shit. Absolutely no intimidation anymore. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Bro I feel you, I've resorted to going on You Tube and watching videos like this
Steve Webb's Greatest Hits
https://youtu.be/o7f0RTedfSQ

Barry Beck Greatest Hits
https://youtu.be/r2nWw2rtcZI

I guess it's good the NHL got rid of the needless brawls and people like Wayne Van Drop who literally could barely skate but the NHL nowadays resembles a scrimmage. I'm not saying I want guys taking Webb like runs at each other but they have to find a way to make the regular season mean more or at least put more energy into the games. I mean the NHL is tough enough to watch on tv for the casual fan but with little hitting and no fighting it's a pretty tough sell even for diehard fans.

Earl
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel