Is Jon Jones the greatest MMA fighter ever, pound for pound?

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Is Jon Jones the greatest MMA fighter ever, pound for pound?

Post by HueyRamone »

He must be. Never had a loss, if you take away that bullshit one for throwing an elbow downward. His NC was a win too.

If anything, he ought to be even better if he wasnt drinking, using drugs and going to court all the time.

He's a piece of shit, and i'm an Anderson Silva man, but Jones would annihilate Silva, i think, even in his prime.

What do you think?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
LAglamrocker

Re: Is Jon Jones the greatest MMA fighter ever, pound for pound?

Post by LAglamrocker »

He needs to show up at Raw Underground to earn my respect
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

I think MMA is for drooling mouth breathers.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Probably. But his reputation is tarnished somewhat with drug accusations.

And he lost his fight to Reyes imo. But not what the judges saw. Man, UFC judges are brutal sometimes.

I didn't see his fight against Santos, but quite a few thought he lost that one as well. And his first match against Gus.

But yeah, his record is incredible. The judges count, not MMA fans personal opinion.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am I think MMA is for drooling mouth breathers.
Most of their fans are Ed Hardy wearing T-shirt idiots. But a lot of sport fans are bad. MMA is probably another level though.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

Yes. Anderson Silva reigned over a weak weight division and ran into trouble as soon as the competition got better. GSP lost twice during his prime.

I believe 100% that Cejudo could become the greatest of all time, and without the doping issues but he retired so....

pieceofme wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 pm

And he lost his fight to Reyes imo. But not what the judges saw. Man, UFC judges are brutal sometimes.

I scored that fight to Reyes as well......but there is a big BUT....that fight was in Atlanta with the old MMA rules where agression and octagon control are equal to striking and grappling. So under the old rules and considering the golden rule from boxing "to be the champ you have to beat the champ", I'm not so sure Reyes deserved the belt that night.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

FullDJacket wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:35 am Yes. Anderson Silva reigned over a weak weight division and ran into trouble as soon as the competition got better. GSP lost twice during his prime.

I believe 100% that Cejudo could become the greatest of all time, and without the doping issues but he retired so....

pieceofme wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 pm

I scored that fight to Reyes as well......but there is a big BUT....that fight was in Atlanta with the old MMA rules where agression and octagon control are equal to striking and grappling. So under the old rules and considering the golden rule from boxing "to be the champ you have to beat the champ", I'm not so sure Reyes deserved the belt that night.
Nah.

He has been cherry picking opponents that are legends but are way past their best. Nowhere close at the moment. He's not even the greatest flyweight of all time.

mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

HueyRamone wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:07 pm He must be. Never had a loss, if you take away that bullshit one for throwing an elbow downward. His NC was a win too.

If anything, he ought to be even better if he wasnt drinking, using drugs and going to court all the time.

He's a piece of shit, and i'm an Anderson Silva man, but Jones would annihilate Silva, i think, even in his prime.

What do you think?
I have no doubt that Jones would win again prime Anderson Silva. But since you said pound for pound, Jones fights in a higher weight class, and never even went up for a single fight. Silva went up twice and made those guys look like hacks, one of them an ex champ.

Best fighter, pound for pound, is Overeem - but only on the first 3 minutes of the fight.

Seriously, every fight I watched from him, he always seems like he outclasses everyone standing up, then he either gasses or his glass chin gets touched.

Even as a middleweight in Pride, he was winning his fights against Shogun, Chuck Lidell, etc.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

The problem with Overeem is that....I believe that he was fucked up from his kick-boxing career. So he had a glass-chin from day one when he started in MMA.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

mullet_head wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:59 am Best fighter, pound for pound, is Overeem - but only on the first 3 minutes of the fight.
You dont have to say "pound for pound" when you're talking about a guy who has ALL the pounds! :P :P

Good thread. I forgot I made it since I never come to the locker room. Some good replies.

Weight classes are weird. Like everyone says "You cant pit a middleweight against a light heavyweight! There's a 13 lb weight difference!"

Then you look at the motherfuckers who had to deal with silverback-with-a-crewcut Brock Lesnar, and didnt complain.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm
mullet_head wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:59 am Best fighter, pound for pound, is Overeem - but only on the first 3 minutes of the fight.
You dont have to say "pound for pound" when you're talking about a guy who has ALL the pounds! :P :P

Good thread. I forgot I made it since I never come to the locker room. Some good replies.

Weight classes are weird. Like everyone says "You cant pit a middleweight against a light heavyweight! There's a 13 lb weight difference!"

Then you look at the motherfuckers who had to deal with silverback-with-a-crewcut Brock Lesnar, and didnt complain.
Like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbpJ1pr_wG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82FmcJO ... ihayvideos

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm You dont have to say "pound for pound" when you're talking about a guy who has ALL the pounds! :P :P
He was a middleweigh in Pride (same as LHW in UFC I think).
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Exactly. Those big boys get beat to shit, You'd never hear Fedor cry about being smaller.

mullet_head wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:49 am

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm You dont have to say "pound for pound" when you're talking about a guy who has ALL the pounds! :P :P
He was a middleweigh in Pride (same as LHW in UFC I think).
Thats before he started taking ALL the roids.

His lifetime record is 48-18, you think he's the best? Im not an expert on him, did he have a really dominant period?
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

I don't like his off Octagon stuff but to me he's the GOAT for not only beating guys but beating them at their own game. I don't know how he'll do at heavyweight as the punches that ko'd light heavyweights might not move some heavyweights. I'd like to see him face someone like say Mark Hunt which would never happen but let's see how he does after getting blasted by him. Hunt would be a name well past his prime but a good test or maybe say Overeem?

Earl
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

LAglamrocker wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 am He needs to show up at Raw Underground to earn my respect
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 pm
His lifetime record is 48-18, you think he's the best? Im not an expert on him, did he have a really dominant period?
He had plenty of dominant periods, like 3,4 minutes, sometimes 24, just before getting ktfo. His fight agains Jairzinho was a perfect example. Travis Browne too, if I remember correctly.

The best? LOL no. But if every fight had a 3 minute limit, he would prolly be undefeated.
Funz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Funz »

Oh yeah, I'm convinced Jones could beat any fighter on the planet, any discipline. He's a full-on freak, once in a lifetime level fighter.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

fedor was a beast
half his wins were from submission.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:52 pm fedor was a beast
Yeah I have Fedor for GOAT, too.
Lance Uppercut
Playing in a Garage

Post by Lance Uppercut »

Definitely Fedor. He took out the who's who of heavy weights: prime Cro Cop, Hunt, Big Nog, Randleman, Coleman. Never any roid allegations, or scandals. No shit talking, and he had just the best sweater ever.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Lance Uppercut wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 pm
Definitely Fedor. He took out the who's who of heavy weights: prime Cro Cop, Hunt, Big Nog, Randleman, Coleman. Never any roid allegations, or scandals. No shit talking, and he had just the best sweater ever.
Tim Sylvia and Arlovsky also very notable wins.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

Sorry but I have to disagree. He might be the best heavyweight of all time. The problem is that he never faced Josh Barnett and Randy Couture, two of the five best heavyweights of the era.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Any fans of Peruvian/Krgystani(wtf) hottie Valentina? She's a monster and got robbed in one of the fights against Amanda Nunez.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

FullDJacket wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:47 am
Sorry but I have to disagree. He might be the best heavyweight of all time. The problem is that he never faced Josh Barnett and Randy Couture, two of the five best heavyweights of the era.
Barnett almost happened, but he never made it past Crocop.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

The vast majority of fighters are on some sort of performance enhancing drugs so I'm not going to say Jones was taking them when everybody else wasn't. However, Jones had high profile failed drug tests. He got caught, yet claimed innocence when other high profile top fighters either weren't caught or when they were didn't make wild claims of innocence. Rules were also changed in order to allow Jones to fight after he failed drug tests. He seemed to have been given the green light to take PED's and have no consequences when he was caught. He benefited from a double standard.

Then there was the story of drug testers showing up at the gym at which he was training to get him to piss in a cup or draw blood and he hid underneath the ring so they couldn't find him. Really embarrassing behaviour from the guy.

IMO the way someone handles these types of situations should be taken into consideration when we are talking about greatest of all time status. Jones seemed to handle these situations very poorly.

With that said I don't think there's any doubt Jones was one of the most talented guys to ever step into a ring.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Tank Abbott Mug's down.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

FullDJacket wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:35 am
pieceofme wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 pm And he lost his fight to Reyes imo. But not what the judges saw. Man, UFC judges are brutal sometimes.

That's how I feel about it, although some fighters have won titles in unspectacular decisions. Forest Griffin over Rampage Jackson, for example.

I was actually in the audience here in Vegas for Jones' fight against Thiago Santos (the one before Reyes). Even though Jones only won by split decision, nobody in the crowd felt there was a chance of history being made that night. People were leaving before the winner was announced. It wasn't until I got home and started browsing the web that I got a feeling of how close Santos was to dethroning the champ.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.