R.I.P. Diego Maradona

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

R.I.P. Diego Maradona

Post by dmbrocker »

One of the greatest soccer legends of all-time just went to meet the "hand of God":

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/america ... r-BB1blXFm
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Re: R.I.P. Diego Maradona

Post by ShearMagic »

Diego was the best! A true star.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Good riddance to that cocaine fueled cheating dickhead.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

He was one of the best, R.I.P.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Yes, the guy was arrogant, boastful, addicted to cocaine and whores, hung out with the mafia and had a child with a woman that he refused to even acknowledge existed until the guy was a young adult. There were rumours that he was on steroids but I'm not sure he ever got caught for it, I think he was suspended for failed drug tests in relation to his cocaine use. The "hand of god" goal was a hand ball that should have been called back.

But, he was one of the most talented players to ever touch a soccer ball. You don' tie Pele in voting for greatest soccer player of the century without being an incredible player.

He also did a lot of good for charity. When he was with Italian club Napoli he asked FIFA and his club to organize a friendly exhibition match to help out a sick child. FIFA and his club Napoli refused, so Maradona organized the match himself and played it in a field that was in front of the child's house. 4,000 people showed up to watch.

The guy was an incredible soccer player that lived a very chaotic life. As a child he was dirt poor...literally. The shack in Argentina he grew up in with his parents and six siblings had a dirt floor. By the time he was 15 he was already a pro soccer player in Argentina and was supporting his entire family off of his salary. Six siblings as well as his parents. Imagine the kind of pressure that is to put on a 15 year old. He never really had the chance to grow up as a regular person. He had press and cameras hounding him constantly, as a teenager. He couldn't leave his house without being mobbed not just by the press but by the general public as well. At a very young age he had a lot of pressure put on him. You have to think that it affected his life going forward and not in a positive way.

HBO did a documentary simply called "Diego Maradona". It's a couple of hours long and it's mostly in Italian and Spanish with English subtitles. It's a fascinating watch. The guy lived a wild life.