Soccer will be the most popular sport in America: Lionel Messi moving to Miami

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Soccer will be the most popular sport in America: Lionel Messi moving to Miami

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rabia.html
Lionel Messi has confirmed that he will be moving to Inter Miami CF in a deal that reportedly includes an option for the Argentine to become a part-owner of the MLS side.

Much speculation has surrounded the 35-year-old's next move over the past few weeks, with Messi being heavily linked with a moves to both Saudi Arabia and Barcelona.

But it appears he has finally settled on his decision, despite being reportedly offered a ginormous £2billion deal, that could have seen him join Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal.

The World Cup winner has also been heavily linked with a fairy-tale move back to his former side Barcelona, yet, amid financial difficulties at the LaLiga giants, Messi has instead opted for a move to Inter Miami.

In an interview with Mundo Deportivo he said: 'I'm not going back to Barça, I'm going to Inter Miami.'

Mail Sport understands that Messi, who won four Champions League titles with the Blaugrana and scored 672 goals in 778 games for the club, will be offered a lucrative contract with the MLS club, that could include deals with adidas.

ESPN are also reporting that his deal with the American side includes an option that could see him become a part-owner of the football club and a slice of the subscriber revenues from Apple TV's MLS Season Pass.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Soccer will be the most popular sport in America: Lionel Messi moving to Miami

Post by LAglamrocker »

Miami has a soccer team?

I think LA won this year? Championship parade had over 3 million ..my bad that’s just number of cars inline at In N Out
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Soccer will be the most popular sport in America: Lionel Messi moving to Miami

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://twitter.com/morningbrew/status/ ... 5963522049
Right now it's cheaper to get into Game 4 of the NBA Finals than it is to get a seat for Messi's (potential) Inter Miami debut

Lowest Ticket Price:

• Game 4 @ Miami (7/9): $375

• Cruz Azul vs. Inter Miami (7/21): $686
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Damn Miami soccer plays in 81000 venue..no wonder he wanted to come!
Miami Heat arena holds more

Soccer place 18000 :lol:

Zero chance not 1 American could name all MLS teams :lol:

With this megastar MLS might take WNBA spot!

Lionel Richie will sell more tickets
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Who here has paid money to watch a soccer game?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I was at World Cup when the girls won at Rose Bowl
The girl what’s her name? :lol: Ripped off her soccer top

Darts on ESPN way more exciting and rating success unlike man soccer
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

it didn't happen with david beckham. it's not happening with messi. not even with ronaldo.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Lol if I had $5 for every time I heard this... started when Pele joined the NASL in th 70s and still hasn't happened yet.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:27 am Lol if I had $5 for every time I heard this... started when Pele joined the NASL in th 70s and still hasn't happened yet.
it was on it's way. During the mid-to-late 1970s, the Cosmos signed a number of the world's best players —Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto— and the Cosmos averaged over 28,000 fans for each season from 1977 to 1982 while having three seasons of the average attendance topping 40,000 spectators per game. from what i remember of the west coast teams vancouver, seattle and portland did well too.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

You shouldve read the rest of the NASL Wikipedia... the Cosmos were an outlier, league average attendance/game never even reached 15,000. My city's team (Philadelphia Atoms) won the title as a expansion franchise in 1973 but folded by 1976. By 1981 every team in the league was losing money and the final death blow to the NASL was the US getting passed over for the World Cup in 1986. Soccer's never going to be more than a niche sport in the US.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lionel-mes ... han-56000/
Tickets to see Lionel Messi's MLS debut going for as much as $56,000

Soccer superstar Lionel Messi is expected to play his first game with Inter Miami this week – and prices for tickets to see the Major League Soccer club have skyrocketed. Tickets for Friday's Leagues Cup game are priced as high as $56,901 as of Monday afternoon, according to ticket retailer Vivid Seats.

The cup is an annual competition between MLS and Mexico's league, LIGA MX. The cup announced on Saturday that Messi would make his MLS debut during Inter Miami's game against Cruz Azul.

"I'm very excited to start this next step in my career with Inter Miami and in the United States," Messi said, according to the league. "This is a fantastic opportunity and together we will continue to build this beautiful project. The idea is to work together to achieve the objectives we set, and I'm very eager to start helping here in my new home."

One ticket in row one of section 112 near the goal is going for $56,901, tickets start at $260 each on the site. On Ticketmaster, the highest price for a ticket to the game is $10,000.

The team's first regular season game with Messi will be a home game in Fort Lauderdale on Aug. 20 against Charlotte FC. Those tickets range between $220 and $9,356 on Vivid Seats. To put things in perspective, tickets for Charlotte FC's game against FC Dallas on July 21 range between $27 and $188 on the same site.

Ticket prices for all of Inter Miami's upcoming games seem to have increased now that Messi has joined. Tickets for the club's game against Los Angeles FC in September range between $400 and $10,000 on Ticketmaster. Los Angeles FC's Aug. 20 game against the Colorado Rapids range between $35 and $555 on the site.

Messi helped his home country Argentina win the World Cup last year and spent much of his career playing for Barcelona, where he helped the team win the Union of European Football Association's championship four times. He also helped Argentina win a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Messi is one of the most famous soccer players to leave a European team and join the American league. Before him, David Beckham signed with the LA Galaxy in 2007. Beckham now co-owns Messi's new team, Inter Miami.

Messi's deal with the team gives him an ownership stake after he retires, according to the New York Times. His deal was also free of the limitations of the MLS' salary rules. MLS recently signed a deal with Apple to stream games, and Messi will share revenue from that and Adidas.

Both brands already have a relationship with Messi, who makes $130 million annually, according to Forbes. That makes him the second-highest-paid athlete in the world, after Cristiano Ronaldo, who makes $136 million annually.

MLS had its first season in 1996 and has steadily grown in popularity and earnings. The average team valuation is now $579 million, an increase of 85% since 2019, according to Forbes. Los Angeles FC is the highest-valued team at $1 billion.

Inter Miami is worth $600 million, slightly above average and making it No. 11 on the list. The addition of Messi, however, is expected to increase the value of the team.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Put this “superstar “ in place Dan Marino played and not smaller venue than Jimmy Buttler plays :lol:
You could get ticket for 20$ and free AEW ticket

Darts on EDPN does better numbers