Sense of humour?

The most feared Groupie Board on the internet!

Moderator: Metal Sludge

CliffByford
"pretentiously pontificatingly thesaurusy"

Sense of humour?

Post by CliffByford »

Come on, be honest - just how much of a priority is this when it comes to what you're looking for in a guy? Don't worry, this isn't a cris-de-coeur because of my own circumstances (I have a girlfriend). Were I single, though, I think I face an uphill battle against other guys, because;

1) Often you notice physical attributes first. Tall, dark and handsome are more readily apparent than an ability to hold a conversation or suchlike.

2) I am not tall, dark and handsome. I'm not Quasimodo either, but I am quite short, stocky and not in anyway classically good looking. I have overwhelmingly hooked up with girls who have known me for a while - my current girlfriend is a friend of a friend, and we ran in the same crowds.

I have often laughed a girl into bed. Trouble is, when they get there, they keep on laughing.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Luckily Freddie and Rob are tough gays and wore the Cruising Leathers and played rock and roll.
Album reviews by yours truly: http://www.swinetunes.co.uk
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Re: Sense of humour?

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

I don't have a certain "type" that I'm attracted to. I've been attracted to all different kinds of guys. Looks aren't all that important to me, it's the chemistry we have. But if a dude doesn't have a sense of humor, it's a dealbreaker. Sarcastic, dry, whatever. Make me laugh like a maniac and we're good. Who likes a boring stick in the mud?
Fuck sigs.
Blackie Onassis
As Hot As Any Hottentot

Post by Blackie Onassis »

You wouldn't initially get talking to them if you didn't like the way they looked but if they were then as dumb as a box of rocks well, I give them up as a bad job.
"I like the black girls best of all" - Lemmy
chickenona
Pimp Jesus

Post by chickenona »

Looks aren't a priority for me at all. If the right "chemistry" (a useless cliched word I realize, but it's the only one they've come up with for the nebulous "attraction point" that sparks this kind of thing) is involved the dude's looks really don't matter. But he absolutely HAS to be funny and smart. I have no patience for stupidity.

And it helps if he thinks I'm the be-all end-all.
deathcurse wrote:The secret board you had with Itjogs. You talked about me obsessively on there. There were witnesses.
vaya con DIO

http://nevergetbusted.com/2010/
CliffByford
"pretentiously pontificatingly thesaurusy"

Post by CliffByford »

I am happy that some girls here have admitted that they defer to looks first, but equally happy that some kind of personality seems to be a priority. I guess I have had to compensate a little, what with being short and looking nothing like Keanu Reeves (two problems Burgundytrash never has to deal with).
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Luckily Freddie and Rob are tough gays and wore the Cruising Leathers and played rock and roll.
Album reviews by yours truly: http://www.swinetunes.co.uk
lolo66
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by lolo66 »

Yes. Funny and smart are a must! Like everybody else has said, good looks are what you notice first but if they have nothing else to back it up?? Forget it!
Bridget
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bridget »

If a guy can't make me laugh, he stands no chance. Average looks are nowhere near the deal breaker that no sense of humor is.
Flowerfairy
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by Flowerfairy »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Flowerfairy on Sun May 03, 2020 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
drops_of_jupiter
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by drops_of_jupiter »

I was quite interested in this guy friend of mine, Tom, for a long period of time. Actually, I still fancy him a bit. Tom isn't conventionally good looking; he's balding, a bit on the plump side and isn't that tall either. However, he makes me laugh more than anyone else I know, which more than makes up for the aforementioned things.
As time's progressed (I've known him for almost 5 years now) he's actually become more attractive, despite his receding hairline and continued obvious love for pies. I think part of the attraction is to do with wondering 'what could have been' as I used to reaallllly like him years back, but he never got any of the hints. Or, just didn't act upon them.
Anyway, if I wasn't already called for and if he was up for it, I'd date him in a heartbeat.
Fittingly, one of the things I find attractive about him is his laugh. It's a kind of dirty and uninhibited laugh-the best type!
MissChelle857
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by MissChelle857 »

Blackie Onassis wrote:You wouldn't initially get talking to them if you didn't like the way they looked but if they were then as dumb as a box of rocks well, I give them up as a bad job.
I agree, Ms O...personality is everything. You can be the "tall, dark and handsome" all day long...look like Frankie from Emmure...but if you're not the least bit humble and humourous, then I really have no need to feel any further an attraction toward you.
rockgirl68
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by rockgirl68 »

An absolute necessity...to me, looks are the obvious hook, but if that's all he's got to offer, later days...my husband never stops making me laugh and that's what I love most about him (other than his legs and eyes)...I have a friend that's married to a guy that has no discernible sense of humor and it's just soo freakin' hard talking to him; he just sits there and doesn't even smile. Kudos to her 'cause I certainly couldn't do it....[
with your long black hair fallin' down your face
Nicole76
Headlining Clubs

Post by Nicole76 »

If I don't find a guy attractive and he has a sense of humor or great personality, I still wouldn't give him a chance. Friend zone.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I'm with you Cliff, I think I'm AT BEST an average-looking dude but I've done all right for myself. I'm no Dane Cook or anything but I think my sense of humor translates a hell of a lot better IRL than it does with a keyboard.

Signed,
the Sour, Ignorant Killjoy
cookie
Resident Sexpert

Post by cookie »

I never do one night stands with strangers. I am absolutely 100% a personality girl. You have to be confident and you have to be funny.
A nice dick helps too.
On a night out I am loud and 'funny'. ( I'm still convinced people are laughing at me, not with me half the time...anyways) I like A guy I can 'bounce off' Quiet shy guys kinda blend into the background. And I lose interest in boring pretty himbos within a day.
LadyJaneGrey
Headlining Clubs

Post by LadyJaneGrey »

Definitely, a sense of humour is important........makes a big difference as well if the guy isn't the type to insist on joking around when he's NOT being funny.
bama_whirly
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by bama_whirly »

i've never gone on looks, i just really love a guy who can make me laugh. if he happens to be great looking as well then that's a bonus. :)