Maynard James Keenan of Tool/ A Perfect Circle

The most feared Groupie Board on the internet!

Moderator: Metal Sludge

vladtepes
Forming a Band

Re: Maynard James Keenan of Tool/ A Perfect Circle

Post by vladtepes »

Playing devils advocate: He did not make you pay $200.00.. remember he has money and does not care if you, me or the pope show up for his wine. He knows someone else will. Look at it this way a lesson learned. That is why I never meet anyone I am smitten by because my idea of him/her will not be how they actually are!
RichardL wrote:Does that mean maynard can't say hi back to someone who paid 200 bucks to see him? Excuses aside, there's no reason for him to be an asshole when people are paying 200 bucks a pop to meet the guy. He should be in a good mood seeing all the $$$$
Duck tape can't fix stupid
"Zuzz | 7/22/2009, 4:06 am EST :Nine Inch Fail Whale"
lillfish
Taking Music Lessons

Post by lillfish »

I'd never pay money just to meet someone, that's a little pathetic IMHO. You remember when all those people donated money to that eric fund JUST to meet Trent Reznor? Well, they wouldn't have donated the money unless that opportunity was there. Trent is not stupid and he knew that too.
I'll probably never meet Maynard,sadly, but i'd settle for being able to see him in person. If I ever did meet him by chance, i'd probably act as normal as possible and treat him like any other person. I think he is pushed away by the people that "give their power away'" to him when they are in his presence. If he ever comes near my town for a wine tasting thing, i'll probably go, wouldn't ask for an autograph, just a 'really nice meeting you, I appreciate all that you do.'
on the inside, I'd be boiling over with joy. :)
Blackie Onassis
As Hot As Any Hottentot

Post by Blackie Onassis »

lillfish wrote:I'd never pay money just to meet someone, that's a little pathetic IMHO. You remember when all those people donated money to that eric fund JUST to meet Trent Reznor? Well, they wouldn't have donated the money unless that opportunity was there. Trent is not stupid and he knew that too.
I'll probably never meet Maynard,sadly, but i'd settle for being able to see him in person. If I ever did meet him by chance, i'd probably act as normal as possible and treat him like any other person. I think he is pushed away by the people that "give their power away'" to him when they are in his presence. If he ever comes near my town for a wine tasting thing, i'll probably go, wouldn't ask for an autograph, just a 'really nice meeting you, I appreciate all that you do.'
on the inside, I'd be boiling over with joy. :)
A number of people I know have known since before he wa sa big deal and he kind of acts like an arse if you don't give him the rock star treatment in that case.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
"I like the black girls best of all" - Lemmy
Ions
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Ions »

lillfish wrote:I love Maynard. He's anti-social as hell and probably doesn't like people that much. He enjoys only his close circle of friends and is very shy/introverted around people he doesn't know.
I'd probably treat a lot of people like shit if I wasn't in the mood to be social. People like him need to be energized to interact with people, otherwise it is very draining in their already tired state. He doesn't like to be worshipped, he doesn't want the light on him... he just wants people to see his work, his art. He is no attention whore and seems to stay far away from drama & noise.
I'm confused. Do you know Maynard? I'm a huge Tool fan, but for a guy who writes entire albums dealing with the destruction of the ego, compassion etc - this guy seems to be a real smarmy, egomaniacal prick.
"A pile of shit has a thousand eyes..."
RichardL
Recording Your Demo

Post by RichardL »

Lillfish doesn't know Maynard at all-she's just trying to make excuses for Maynard being an asshole to paying fans. It doesn't matter how he is feeling inside- it doesn't cost any money to say hello or thank you to people. Word is getting around about his behavior and he is losing money,however, not enough to make a big enough difference.
lillfish
Taking Music Lessons

Post by lillfish »

I understand why he writes about the destruction of ego. I don't know him personally, but I believe I know what he means. He is weird, off the wall, and difficult to figure out. I believe he says so much with few words and most people don't get it because they aren't in his realm.
Lydia
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Lydia »

lillfish wrote:I understand why he writes about the destruction of ego. I don't know him personally, but I believe I know what he means. He is weird, off the wall, and difficult to figure out. I believe he says so much with few words and most people don't get it because they aren't in his realm.
Are you familiar with his work with the Bikini Bandits? :roll:
lillfish
Taking Music Lessons

Post by lillfish »

No, haven't seen it, but I'm sure it's hilarious.

edit : watched some clips.... it's fucking stupid... lol. Funny though, in the weirdest of ways.
Lydia
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Lydia »

lillfish wrote:No, haven't seen it, but I'm sure it's hilarious.

edit : watched some clips.... it's fucking stupid... lol. Funny though, in the weirdest of ways.
Because whatever your wonderful hero does is awesome. He's totally above scrutiny, and he's certainly not an egotistical prick.
outlaw'd mafia
Wannabe Rocker

Post by outlaw'd mafia »

anyone who would pay $200 to meet someone else has a problem in my book. if you have to pay someone to meet them, that should tell you right there he really dont want to meet you or care anything about you.
THELORDOFDARKNESS
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by THELORDOFDARKNESS »

Damn! I never knew Maynard was a diva!
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

lillfish wrote:I love Maynard. He's anti-social as hell and probably doesn't like people that much. He enjoys only his close circle of friends and is very shy/introverted around people he doesn't know.
I'd probably treat a lot of people like shit if I wasn't in the mood to be social. People like him need to be energized to interact with people, otherwise it is very draining in their already tired state. He doesn't like to be worshipped, he doesn't want the light on him... he just wants people to see his work, his art. He is no attention whore and seems to stay far away from drama & noise.

All musicians are attention whores whether they know it or want to admit it. They want the adulation of the screaming fans, they want the fans and press to kiss their ass and even some might like the negative feedback from people. Maynard seems to like stirring up the drama and thrives on the negative feedback it creates.

If Maynard didn't want the "light" on him he wouldn't have chosen a profession where that's all there is.
RichardL
Recording Your Demo

Post by RichardL »

Tool is touring this summer. Has anyone been backstage yet? Any stories to share on Maynard or the other guys in Tool?
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

RichardL wrote:Tool is touring this summer. Has anyone been backstage yet? Any stories to share on Maynard or the other guys in Tool?
Yeah, Jack Sabbath did ATM on the whole band.
NativeTampon
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by NativeTampon »

I've heard for many years that Maynard is a dick. There are claims that he keeps his head in his art before and after his shows to give good performances, but IMO, they've always sounded far superior on recordings than they do live.

$250 for meet and greets? Hell, they only charged $150 to meet the cast of Yo Gabba Gabba last week for my 3 year old son!!!

(I didn't pay it though - even though Biz Markie was touring with them)
CrouchingStonerHiddenBong
Queen Bee

Post by CrouchingStonerHiddenBong »

The Biz is the god damn shit.

Not in bed, on wax. Well he might be great in bed, but I have no desire to know about that, first hand or in interpretive dance.
tym wrote:She makes My air head 11 year old Girl look like Nikita Tesla.
Blackie Onassis
As Hot As Any Hottentot

CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:The Biz is the god damn shit.

Nobody beats the Biz
Ions
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Ions »

lillfish wrote:I understand why he writes about the destruction of ego. I don't know him personally, but I believe I know what he means. He is weird, off the wall, and difficult to figure out. I believe he says so much with few words and most people don't get it because they aren't in his realm.
LOL - Yeah? - Explain please. Yes, I'm asking now. - :)
CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:The Biz is the god damn shit.

Not in bed, on wax.
"A pile of shit has a thousand eyes..."
RichardL
Recording Your Demo

Post by RichardL »

Essence, did you meet and greet with Maynard on this last tour? How did he act? He lets his true asshole personality shine through. Maynard knows he can get away with it too because there will always be fans willing to pay him extra money and who have never met him.

People are saying that Maynard is now engaged to his assistant Lei Li, so that could be why women haven't been posting any recent stories about him. However, he wrote that he was in a relationship with a person taking care of him, which is most likely her, since 2007. On rock groupie, there were tales of him in Europe with other women in the past year or two. Maybe they had an open relationship the past few years, because I have always seen them together.
RichardL
Recording Your Demo

Post by RichardL »

Actually Maynard did me a really nice favor. I have saved a ton of money by no longer going to his shows or his wine tastings. I know I would have spent a ton of money going to both A Perfect Circle shows and doing the VIP thing. I also would have bought a lot of his wine. I walked into the Puscifer store he owns a few days ago just to see what was in there, and made sure not to buy anything. I make sure and tell as many of my friends as possible how he treated me and the other fans because word of mouth speaks volumes.
It is kinda sad how some musicians have no respect at all for their fans, the same people who buys their albums and made them rich as they are today. I would like to think that there are some appreciative and nice musicians out there.
snarky0
Saving Up For a Guitar

Post by snarky0 »

don't think some people need the title of a musician. really they're just wankers
Blackie Onassis
As Hot As Any Hottentot

rockstarjunkie87 wrote:anyone have any positive maynard stories? lol..

i met adam jones from his band, Tool. He was cool. i saw him walking his dog and walked up to him. the bodyguard started chasing me and adam told him it was o.k.
i was a total dork. i was like, "i like your art" and he was like "thank you"
and i was scared to ask for a picture, because i know how maynard can be... and i asked and he took a picture with me! :)
thats my experience with adam jones. :)

Adam is quite shy but, as far as I know, is very personable towards fans.
enchantment
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by enchantment »

:shock:
Last edited by enchantment on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
enchantment
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by enchantment »

k
Last edited by enchantment on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy7070
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Crazy7070 »

Maynard James Keenan has Two successful wineries outside of Phoenix, Arizona and has been in a established relationship for years. That Outside of making very good music. Hardly a Mental Case!
Lydia
Playing Frat Parties

Post by Lydia »

Crazy7070 wrote:Maynard James Keenan has Two successful wineries outside of Phoenix, Arizona and has been in a established relationship for years. That Outside of making very good music. Hardly a Mental Case!
...because successful people can't possibly also be crazy. :lol:
JoJo30
Opening for Slaughter

Post by JoJo30 »

enchantment wrote:I'd rather meet Danny Carey than Maynard
I 2nd that.
taste_the_rainbow
Taking Music Lessons

Post by taste_the_rainbow »

HollyDiver wrote:I got pulled from the crowd at an A Perfect Circle concert by their tour manager who asked me and my friend if we wanted to meet Maynard. I'm a huge fan of his musically and was always intrigued by his persona, so we went backstage. Basically we were told we were there for Maynard, these two very rubber/latex-clad fetish chicks were there for Twiggy, and then these other couple of cute blondes were there for James Iha. It was very awkward, because we were all just sitting in this room backstage shooting the shit. Eventually the TM came back to us and gave us 'rules' for when the guys came in the room to greet us. It was so fuckin silly and ridiculous. We could not:
1- Smoke in the presence of Maynard
2- Ask for a photo
3- Call Twiggy, 'Twiggy". He was Jordy, only.
4- Ask questions about any band but A Pefect Circle (no side projects)

We all sorta rolled our eyes, but I figured what the heck and stuck around for a few more minutes. It wasn't long before 'Jordy' entered the room and sat between the two fetish chicks. He introduced himself to everyone, and then the fetish chicks told him they liked him and were bisexual, and he took both of them by the hand and left the room. It was pretty funny.

Right after he left James came in and was so shy and nice. The blonde girls meant for him were also really shy so the convo went nowhere and he ended up chatting with me and my friend. We talked for a good 45 minutes or so. He told us about his love of his grandma and living in NYC. Really polite and soft spoken. He was a cutie pie but absolutely non-sexual. After he left the TM came back and told us Maynard wouldn't be out for another 20 minutes. By that time we'd been in there for about an hour, so we just split. The real kicker though is that the TM said the reason Maynard was taking so long was because someone 'accidently smoked in front of him, so Maynard needs to lie is his bunk for a while to cool down and settle his nerves'.

Bumping this because it's really funny!! :lol:
Maddalena
Music Fan

Post by Maddalena »

My experience with Maynard was great. He was always really nice to me. The first time I met him, his tour manager gave me a pass to meet him. In a back room full of girls Maynard sat in a chair next to me and just started talking to me and another girl. He was very polite. He asked us if we wanted to come on his tour bus. He gave us wine, food, we played card games with his friends and his son was there too.
The second time at another show, he remembered me and the tour manager took me backstage and he just hung out with me and two other girls. I became good friends with one of the girls. It's funny when people ask how we met we tell them Maynard James Keenan introduced us.