Death metal

The most feared Groupie Board on the internet!

Moderator: Metal Sludge

RanchGirl82
Wannabe Rocker

Death metal

Post by RanchGirl82 »

So what is the groupie scene like for the more underground ..DEATH metal. Since you hear guyz in death metal bands saying all the time "it's male dominated".. Do these guys really get girls??
RanchGirl82
Wannabe Rocker

Re: Death metal

Post by RanchGirl82 »

It's interesting that you say that, because there are occasions when I get a very uncomfortable vibe at these shows.. I don't want to use the word 'hostility', but definitely not a nice, welcoming, OR relaxed vibe.. and yes have attempted gropes etc. So it seems like a certain attitude.
Who is popular, I'm curious. I once read an interview with that guy from Nile who said (can't remember exact quote), no good-looking girls are into metal. No joke. (His idea of metal being his own experience- the extremes, and not the broad definition we might have).
Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

There are definitely a big number of ladies who like the death metal bands. There are branches of NYDM throughout the U.S. and they have a consistent percentages of female members.

I know Bret Hoffmann - Malevolent Creation's vocalist - and he gets women coming after him wherever they play, especially in Europe and Asia. Other well-established/bigger U.S. bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel always pull some women into their shows, although there's no question it's a male-dominated scene. Extreme metal tends to have a more fervent/hardcore following outside of America - especially South America and Eastern Europe, so it's a fair assumption that there are even more ladies in attendance overseas.
toofastforlove69
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by toofastforlove69 »

Although clearly male dominated, there's always a female presence (even if it's sometimes quite small) at extreme/black/death metal shows around here. The majority of the girls who show up to these shows are far from ugly....
RanchGirl82
Wannabe Rocker

Post by RanchGirl82 »

I know.. the person drawing the consensus on that isn't exactly God's gift to women either..

Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote:T

I know Bret Hoffmann - Malevolent Creation's vocalist - and he gets women coming after him wherever they play, especially in Europe and Asia. Other well-established/bigger U.S. bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel always pull some women into their shows, although there's no question it's a male-dominated scene. Extreme metal tends to have a more fervent/hardcore following outside of America - especially South America and Eastern Europe, so it's a fair assumption that there are even more ladies in attendance overseas.
I can't imagine many girls going for the likes of the guys in Cannibal Corpse. What about Dying Fetus and bands like that? Also the Tampa FL scene? Glen Benton? :)
BloodQueen
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by BloodQueen »

This is the spouses genre of music so I can hopefully offer some insight.

The biggest complaint from guys in DM bands is that there are seldom any females at their shows, well at least very few that don't look like linebackers. The venues are smaller and more intimate, you can generally catch many of the band members milling about inside as well as hanging about outside waiting for their gear to get stored post show. If there is a bar within walking distance of the venue they will probably end up there as well.

As for getting groped in the pit, personally I've only seen that once and it was a a young guy and on his second attempt at grabbing this chicks chest security bounced his ass. If you can't hold your own surrounded by a wall of sweaty drunken males then you most certainly don't need to be up front.
Christ...the other white meat

"You are gayer than a rainbow handbag full of dick." ZVD

ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

My man is into Death metal too, so I've been to quite a few shows. I've never felt any hostility or bad vibe - quite the opposite actually. One thing I've noticed is there aren't as many drunks at these shows. As for getting groped its never happened to me, then again I am always with my husband when attending and when he had his metal band they actually opened up for quite a few of the Death metal bands when they rolled into town. I've always enjoyed the scene even though the music isn't always something I'd listen to.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
RanchGirl82
Wannabe Rocker

Post by RanchGirl82 »

BloodQueen wrote:This is the spouses genre of music so I can hopefully offer some insight.

The biggest complaint from guys in DM bands is that there are seldom any females at their shows, well at least very few that don't look like linebackers. The venues are smaller and more intimate, you can generally catch many of the band members milling about inside as well as hanging about outside waiting for their gear to get stored post show. If there is a bar within walking distance of the venue they will probably end up there as well.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

As a guitarist in a death metal band, I can only confirm that our gigs are sorely lacking in female fans! I've never hooked up at one of our shows...but I always manage to hook up at the local metal bar, chicks here don't give a rat's ass if you're in a band or not as long as you're good looking...
taste_the_rainbow
Taking Music Lessons

Post by taste_the_rainbow »

:D
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

Ham Stroker's Ejacula wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:29 am There are definitely a big number of ladies who like the death metal bands. There are branches of NYDM throughout the U.S. and they have a consistent percentages of female members.

Cannibal Corpse sure do write good love songs! :lol: