Mammograms

The most feared Groupie Board on the internet!

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Inessence
Platinum Artist

Mammograms

Post by Inessence »

Fuck. Had one on Monday morning (started at 38 because there's been cancer in the family.) Just got a call a little while ago. They want me to go back in for another one followed by an ultrasound. Fuck.

Beware the ides of March.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
jodi
Recording Debut Album

Re: Mammograms

Post by jodi »

It could just be the other was inconclusive and needs redone for improved image quality. Sonograms are usually done for 1 of 2 reasons: You have dense breast mass (the girls are super perky) or they are trying to differentiate types of cysts. Take a deep breath. No use in worrying yourself sick. Just take one day at a time.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

jodi wrote:It could just be the other was inconclusive and needs redone for improved image quality. Sonograms are usually done for 1 of 2 reasons: You have dense breast mass (the girls are super perky) or they are trying to differentiate types of cysts. Take a deep breath. No use in worrying yourself sick. Just take one day at a time.
Since I'm stuck at work when they called my Mom called the Dr. back (on her own accord, she's like that.) And they basically said what you just said. Although they didn't need to do it on my first one two years ago. :?
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
NativeTampon
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by NativeTampon »

I got about 2-3 years to go and am not looking forward to having my breasts smashed to Hell. I feel your pain :( Hopefully all goes well during the follow-up procedure!
EmilyStrangeEsp
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by EmilyStrangeEsp »

It's honestly not as bad as you imagine it would be.
I was terrified my first time and I honestly was surprised how painless it was.
You'll do fine.
Hang in there, Inessence, I'm sure it'll turn out well.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

EmilyStrangeEsp wrote:It's honestly not as bad as you imagine it would be.
I was terrified my first time and I honestly was surprised how painless it was.
You'll do fine.
Hang in there, Inessence, I'm sure it'll turn out well.
I've had two, starting at age 37 because I've had breast cancer in the family. But now they want me to come in for a follow-up mammogram and an ultrasound. I hope they're just being extra-careful. Between this and my cat the ides of March has sucked fucking ass.
Nemesis
Headlining Clubs

Post by Nemesis »

jodi wrote:It could just be the other was inconclusive and needs redone for improved image quality. Sonograms are usually done for 1 of 2 reasons: You have dense breast mass (the girls are super perky) or they are trying to differentiate types of cysts. Take a deep breath. No use in worrying yourself sick. Just take one day at a time.

Most younger women have dense breasts. Dense breasts make it harder to detect breast cancer. If you've never had kids like me, those dense breast stay with you as you age.

What happened BTW?
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

The doc said he's "98% sure the mass is benign" but wants me to come back again in 6 months for another check. I haven't had kids either. I often sit with my laptop near my chest which sort of makes me wonder. The battery is on the right side, and it was the right one they were concerned about.
Winter
Headlining Clubs

Post by Winter »

You dont hold your cell phone up to your boob do you? hahah!! Just kidding. They say cell phones can cause cancer too...

I had my first one a few months ago at age 41. I was scared since I get cysts due to caffeine and chocolate. I ingest way too much of both but hadnt gotten a cyst in yrs until a few months ago. Its was nice and formed when I went to have the mammy done. Told the nurse about it and she felt it and made sure she told the doc about it. She asked me if I wanted to wait for the results or have him call me. Really? So I waited and he said it was all good and no worries.

As far as it being painful...it really wasnt at all.
BarneyPipe wrote:
HEY!!!! Danny Partridge is the greatest bass player of all time. He was so fast it looked like his hand wasn't even moving.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Winter wrote:You dont hold your cell phone up to your boob do you? hahah!! Just kidding. They say cell phones can cause cancer too...

I had my first one a few months ago at age 41. I was scared since I get cysts due to caffeine and chocolate. I ingest way too much of both but hadnt gotten a cyst in yrs until a few months ago. Its was nice and formed when I went to have the mammy done. Told the nurse about it and she felt it and made sure she told the doc about it. She asked me if I wanted to wait for the results or have him call me. Really? So I waited and he said it was all good and no worries.

As far as it being painful...it really wasnt at all.
No, not my cell phone. But I must learn to stop using my rack as a rack.
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

I have to get the diagnostic one along with the ultra sound everytime. It finally got to the point where my MD just orders the diagnostic now since I always had to return. Last time they called me back the same day to do more pictures - it is scary, but good to know they are cautious. They do suck, but it is so important to get mammograms every year like clockwork! I too really need to cut down on the caffeine and chocolate.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
Cassandra69
Wannabe Rocker
Location: Manhattan, Beverly Hills, and/or Your boyfriend's tour bus bunk....

Post by Cassandra69 »

Better to be safe than sorry. Good on you for being pro-active with your health. Hope everything turns out ok.
.... I taught your rockstar boyfriend that thing you like ....
Nemesis
Headlining Clubs

Post by Nemesis »

Inessence wrote:The doc said he's "98% sure the mass is benign" but wants me to come back again in 6 months for another check. I haven't had kids either. I often sit with my laptop near my chest which sort of makes me wonder. The battery is on the right side, and it was the right one they were concerned about.
There's this myth that younger women don't get breast cancer and the national guidelines regarding mammograms only states that women over 40(or 50 depending on which group you go by) are the ones that only need mammograms yearly. Dense breast are a huge problem because the tissue hides any cancer. Most women lose the denseness as they go through menopause but if you have had no children that doesn't happen. I read up on this when I had a scare last year.

Then there's Inflammatory Breast Cancer(IBC) which grows in sheets instead of lumps. A lot of women who get this are diagnosed with mastitis because it mimics it-the breast will look big and red/or bruised. This is a fast growing cancer-you'll wake up one morning with one breast that has grown overnight- and by the time it's detected it's usually Stage 4 which means it has spread to other parts of your body. Besides the overnight breast enlargement the other symptoms are an orange skin appearance(the skin is pitted ) to the breast and it will be HOT to the touch. Having sharp pains in the affected breast is common. Sometimes it will start like you have a bug bite(there is a small raised area that looks like a bug bite) or a bruise-this is one really scary form of breast cancer. The treatment for this is chemo first then a mastectomy(reverse of treatment for other BC)Sometimes it appears in both breasts at the same time. This type of cancer is seen a lot in younger women. Five year survival rate is very low.
EvilQueen
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by EvilQueen »

It could also be that you have a lot of cysts. Better to be safe than sorry.
I am glad that people on here are proactive. My aunt who is 70 something was just diagnosed with breast cancer. It doesn't run in my family it gallops.