Rate the last movie you saw

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

jadecrowe
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by jadecrowe »

ijwthstd wrote:Coffin Rock 8/10

Yet another Fatal Attraction type stalker movie but enough weirdness to keep it interesting. Based in a small town in Australia.
it's in my netflix queue - i've been wondering how good it is.

watched The Fighter last night (i know, i'm late to the game) 8.5/10 excellent movie.

i think i'll watch Coffin Rock now.
"I'm afraid of what I've become. Tell them they should be too."
jadecrowe

Post by jadecrowe »

ijwthstd wrote:Coffin Rock 8/10

Yet another Fatal Attraction type stalker movie but enough weirdness to keep it interesting. Based in a small town in Australia.
:shock:

i can watch people being killed in any way, shape or form. boiled bunnies had no effect on me. but holy crap! that was seriously fucked up! 8/10

edited to add: we are SO watching this the next time my best friend and i do movie night. she absolutely can't stand anything to do with eyes :twisted:
Last edited by jadecrowe on Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Ringu - 4/10
Thought it would be better than the remake but it wasn't.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Frightnight(2011) with Colin farrell, Mclovin Fun movie 7.5/10

Is it just me or is Toni colette looking better than ever
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

Avengers 9/10 Fucking awesome. Better than I expected, but Hawkeye and the chick were kinda lame. I should've been Hawkeye damnit.

Hunger Games 4/100
Holy fuck this movie sucks. It's supposed to be some profound action-drama (not a comic book action-adventure like Avengers) about society where two kids from each of 12 districts are forced to fight to the death every year to 'preserve the peace'. But in the end, it's everything I hate about American cinema. It's arrogant, sterilized, censored, moves way too fast, and most of the fights, you don't see shit. Just some guy (who can hardly be believed to be a kid) lifts a sword, and then it cuts. There's more money in the fucking costumes than in the action itself. You don't get to know the other characters at ALL, so you don't give a shit when they die, and you're basically pushed to root for these two contestants who force a love bit, and at the end, so what! the empire stands, the games will go on, and the only one really affected is Mr Mutton Chops.

There's also a giant plot hole when the black 'kid' let's the girl live and says "just this once, for Rue". For those who have seen the movie, how the hell could he have known what she did for Rue? He's not watching the show. He should've killed her.

Seriously just watch Battle Royale and be reminded why American and action-dramas completely suck outside of Troublemaker Studios.
In the paper, seems a florist
Found in Lincoln Park, died of some anemia
No one raped her, poor Doloris,
Just detained her and drained her on the spot
jadecrowe

Post by jadecrowe »

Facedown wrote:Ringu - 4/10
Thought it would be better than the remake but it wasn't.
that's being a little generous, isn't it? horrible movie. i usually like the foreign originals much better than the American remakes, but this movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty grapefruit spoon and/or undergoing electric shock therapy.
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

Antichrist - 10/10
Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsburg

Wow. This is film. It's twisted, cerebral, powerful film. Some parts are hard to watch, and I don't mean Willem Dafoe's butt. I mean there are some truly frightening moments but if you really pay attention to the little things, you'll notice the brilliance in Lars von Trier's portrayal of Satan as nature, or the inherent nature of women and their unrivaled capacity for possessiveness and disregard for logic or reason. Only now, after the movie is over and I've had time to respawn from the brutal imagery and absolutely haunting sound design, do I realize just how poignant was the use of Dafoe as a therapist to make his wife seem that much more irrational.

If you like movies that make you think, make you wonder, and at times make you cringe, check out Antichrist.
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

Mississippi Burning - Willem Dafoe, gene Hackman 10/10

Excellent movie about the racist south in the 60s. Seeing a cop get his ass handed to him and laid out bleeding on a spinning barber's chair is now one of my favorite movie shots of all time. Ten points just for that.
jadecrowe

Post by jadecrowe »

vanitybinge wrote:Antichrist - 10/10

Wow. This is film. It's twisted, cerebral, powerful film. Some parts are hard to watch, and I don't mean Willem Dafoe's butt. I mean there are some truly frightening moments but if you really pay attention to the little things, you'll notice the brilliance in Lars von Trier's portrayal of Satan as nature, or the inherent nature of women and their unrivaled capacity for possessiveness and disregard for logic or reason. Only now, after the movie is over and I've had time to respawn from the brutal imagery and absolutely haunting sound design, do I realize just how poignant was the use of Dafoe as a therapist to make his wife seem that much more irrational.

If you like movies that make you think, make you wonder, and at times make you cringe, check out Antichrist.
i'll have to watch this again. the only things that made me cringe in that movie were Willem Dafoe's dick (i still think he probably did Finding Nemo in the nude), and the tick scene. i don't ever want to see that tick scene again.

i think Von Trier may be a bit of a misogynist, no?
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Cars 2 - 6/10
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

jadecrowe wrote:
vanitybinge wrote:Antichrist - 10/10

i'll have to watch this again. the only things that made me cringe in that movie were Willem Dafoe's dick (i still think he probably did Finding Nemo in the nude), and the tick scene. i don't ever want to see that tick scene again.

i think Von Trier may be a bit of a misogynist, no?

No more so than Harmony Korine ;)
John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

The Avengers 3D - 9 outta 10
Big, dumb, over the top fun. Very nicely done. One of the best of the comic universe based movies.

Also, the trailers for the new Dark Knight (Bane...FTW!) The Amazing Spiderman and Prometheus were fucking awesome. Can't wait to catch all 3.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
John Simon Ritchie

vanitybinge wrote:Hunger Games 4/100
Nice *spoiler alert* on Hunger Games, ya douche canoe. :evil:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
BD888

Post by BD888 »

vanitybinge wrote:Avengers 9/10 Fucking awesome. Better than I expected, but Hawkeye and the chick were kinda lame. I should've been Hawkeye damnit.

Hunger Games 4/100
Holy fuck this movie sucks. It's supposed to be some profound action-drama (not a comic book action-adventure like Avengers) about society where two kids from each of 12 districts are forced to fight to the death every year to 'preserve the peace'. But in the end, it's everything I hate about American cinema. It's arrogant, sterilized, censored, moves way too fast, and most of the fights, you don't see shit. Just some guy (who can hardly be believed to be a kid) lifts a sword, and then it cuts. There's more money in the fucking costumes than in the action itself. You don't get to know the other characters at ALL, so you don't give a shit when they die, and you're basically pushed to root for these two contestants who force a love bit, and at the end, so what! the empire stands, the games will go on, and the only one really affected is Mr Mutton Chops.

There's also a giant plot hole when the black 'kid' let's the girl live and says "just this once, for Rue". For those who have seen the movie, how the hell could he have known what she did for Rue? He's not watching the show. He should've killed her.

Seriously just watch Battle Royale and be reminded why American and action-dramas completely suck outside of Troublemaker Studios.
Guess I won't be watching Hunger Games now.

Saw 3D - 4/10 - I just didn't care about any of the characters, bad acting, only good parts were that they brought back Tobin Bell again. This is another franchise that followed the mold of the 80s horror films, where they all kind of turned into parodies of themselves. The gore scenes are great in a b-movie slasher flick kinda way, can't complain about that.

J.Edgar - 6/10 - It took me nearly an hour to get past Leonardo DiCaprio's changing accent. His voice over parts seem to be completely different from the majority of parts that have him acting, and his accent changes repeatedly within the same breath throughout the film. Other than that, he does play the character well and he's believable in any decade of the character.

Limitless - 5/10 Started out interesting then kinda fizzled out.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 7/10 Very stylish, well written and directed film that has great dialogue and is visually beautiful in a cold British sort of way. This film really harks back to the style of the 70s, or at least that's the best way I can describe it.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Albert Nobs - 8/10

Glenn Close plays a man named Albert Nobs who is actually a woman in 1898 Dublin. I wont give anything away except to have some South Park or Family Guy ready to watch right after. It's sad as hell.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

This is England - 7/10
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
John Simon Ritchie

Inessence wrote:This is England - 7/10

Cool movie. Dug it even more after I read some of the comments from the director about the supposed background and motivation of the Nationalist skin, Combo. There is also a version with an alternate (and superior, IMO) ending.
Alabama Slammer

Post by Alabama Slammer »

BD888 wrote:

Guess I won't be watching Hunger Games now.
It makes a lot more sense if you read the books (it's a trilogy with Hunger Games being the first part). I haven't seen the movie yet, but based on the review, it appears to be a classic case of piss poor editing. However, if you do go the book route, keep in mid they're written for teens.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:

Cool movie. Dug it even more after I read some of the comments from the director about the supposed background and motivation of the Nationalist skin, Combo. There is also a version with an alternate (and superior, IMO) ending.
Thanks, I'll have to check out the dvd for some commentary and deleted scenes. I originally watched it from the DVR I recorded awhile back and finally got around to watching.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
John Simon Ritchie

Inessence wrote:

Thanks, I'll have to check out the dvd for some commentary and deleted scenes. I originally watched it from the DVR I recorded awhile back and finally got around to watching.

In case it's not on the DVD, the comments I read were on IMDB. But I think it was just in the forums.
drops_of_jupiter
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by drops_of_jupiter »

The Raid - 7.5/10
Only really went 'cos a load of my (guy) friends were going. It's actually an ok film, for what it is. The fighting's top class-it looked like the majority of the main actors we're experts at martial arts. I heard that Hollywood are remaking it. There's no way it'll be as good as this original version.

The Dictator - 6/10
I thought it'd be funnier. I quite liked Borat and Bruno (especially Bruno) but, unlike the other films, this is all scripted - maybe that's why it's lost a lot of The_Funny.
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

Boy Wonder (2010) Caleb Steinmeyer, James Russo 8/10

Good drama set in modern day NYC, about a teenager who saw his mother killed during a carjacking when he was younger. His father never got him therapy, instead the kid started hanging out at the police station all the time. Now he's maybe 17 and he starts taking out his demons on various thugs and women beaters around the city. Good acting by the "kid", he definitely makes
the rest of the cast look predictable in comparison.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Cool movie. Dug it even more after I read some of the comments from the director about the supposed background and motivation of the Nationalist skin, Combo.
Ugh, I hate when that happens. Makes them all human and shit. But yeah, I liked that one too.

The Other Half - 2/10

Not at all what you'd expect from a football movie with Danny Dyer and Vinnie Jones. This is just terrible, terrible shit.

Doghouse - 7/10

Zombie splatter comedy. Much better role for Dyer.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Nice *spoiler alert* on Hunger Games, ya douche canoe. :evil:
How did a movie where 28 kids are killed draw a PG13, but if you say fuck one time you draw an R?
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
theglammerthebetter

50/50 (2011) with seth rogen and anna kendrick

Guess you call it a comedy that might make you cry 7/10
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Tucker and Dale versus Evil is one of the coolest funny movies I've seen in years.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Meet The Fockers - 7/10
EddiesCancerTongue
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddiesCancerTongue »

theglammerthebetter wrote:The guard (2011) with brendan glessan and don cheadle , its an irish movie and the dialogue was sometimes hard to understand 7/10
Really liked this movie. Brendan Gleason was subtly hilarious as the small town Irish policeman, and Don Cheadle was finally in a role that was believable for him.
Metal! wrote:I know you don't mean that. You are just being Sludgy.
Out of the Cellar wrote:Listening to Jeff Beck makes you wanna look at your fingers and say, "fuck you".
vanitybinge

Post by vanitybinge »

Viscous Lips 1986 7/10
Campy super 80s movie about a chick rock band who need to fly across the galaxy for their big show. So bad its good. The chicks are hot, the hair is big, and everything is smokey. This should be required viewing for every Sludger.
theglammerthebetter

The change up (2011) jason bateman and ryan reynolds just hilarious,
9/10