A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Modern day movie releases

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Suck ass.
Especially horror movies these days.
My wife and I have wanted to go see a movie for a couple months now.
Absolute shit being released.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Modern day movie releases

Post by BDG135 »

You don't wanna see The Blackening?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

I agree modern day releases are shit, especially the CGI shit, The Rock shit, etc. But, I think modern horror is one of the bright points in modern cinema. A24 movies for example are often fun and interesting.
VinnieVincentsVag

Indy_Rob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:11 pm I agree modern day releases are shit, especially the CGI shit, The Rock shit, etc. But, I think modern horror is one of the bright points in modern cinema. A24 movies for example are often fun and interesting.
Share some of your recent favorites please
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:37 pm
Indy_Rob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:11 pm I agree modern day releases are shit, especially the CGI shit, The Rock shit, etc. But, I think modern horror is one of the bright points in modern cinema. A24 movies for example are often fun and interesting.
Recent enough:

Midsommar
Hereditary

Smile and Skinamarink are supposed to be really solid.

It Follows was really good even though it’s several years old (but still “modern”).

Those are just a few examples. I’ll try to think of more.
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

I have not seen a movie in theaters in over two decades, but I recently made an exception to see the movie Oppenheimer when it is released this summer. The movie is based on one of my favorite books, American Prometheus.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Did you go see Sisu? Modern day Rambo, but with some humor thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2k4QAItiSA
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
TravisBicklesMohawk

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Good movies are out there. Just a little research and you'll find them.

Horror has been pretty lame lately, but blame that on the next gen of horror fans who are rather clueless when it comes to the genre.

Ari Aster says he really doesn't want to be classified as a horror director . . . that's another problem. :roll:
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

skinni wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm I have not seen a movie in theaters in over two decades, but I recently made an exception to see the movie Oppenheimer when it is released this summer. The movie is based on one of my favorite books, American Prometheus.
I am totally gonna see that, guess I should read the book.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

ijwthstd wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:34 pm
skinni wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:37 pm I have not seen a movie in theaters in over two decades, but I recently made an exception to see the movie Oppenheimer when it is released this summer. The movie is based on one of my favorite books, American Prometheus.
I read it shortly after its release, and as a physicist, I was fascinated by the details of Oppenheimer's contributions to the development of quantum theory. The book does an excellent job of explaining complex scientific concepts, and it provides a fascinating glimpse into the life and work of one of the most brilliant physicists of the 20th century. I highly recommend this Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Indy_Rob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:00 pm
Recent enough:

Midsommar
Hereditary

It Follows was really good even though it’s several years old (but still “modern”).

Really liked Smile. Creepy as fuck
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

I went to Fast XI a couple weeks ago and the five or six previews before the show we’re either remake’s or all comic book related tripe. The whole movie business in what companies are putting out there are so out of whack. Everything is appropriated and woke junk.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Watched Evil Dead Rise yesterday, and it was pretty tiresome. I kept looking at the bar to see how much was left. Looked good visually tho, i'll give em that.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Every time I see a commercial for the new Indiana Jones movie, I'm put off by how the whole thing seems CGI'd to death and washed in this yellow-ish/gray color tone.

I mean, if you want to tap into nostalgia, at least try to pull off the look and special effects of the original Raiders move from more than 40 years ago.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

skinni wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:46 pm
ijwthstd wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:34 pm
I read it shortly after its release, and as a physicist, I was fascinated by the details of Oppenheimer's contributions to the development of quantum theory. The book does an excellent job of explaining complex scientific concepts, and it provides a fascinating glimpse into the life and work of one of the most brilliant physicists of the 20th century. I highly recommend this Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
I don't understand any of that. I did just download it but might do better with a hard copy book so I am going to go to the library tomorrow.

I love reading but mixed success, especially with longer books. Finally tackled A Bright Shining Lie which I had for 30 years and it was a struggle but well worth the effort and brought me a long way toward better understanding the Vietnam war.

But seeing The Day After at age 10 was a lifechanging moment and also read Daniel Ellsberg (RIP) The Doomsday Machine when it came out so might was well try to tackle this. We'll see if I can before the movie comes out.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

Renfield was very good, Renfield is Draculas assistant.
Nik Cage played Dracula.

Across the Spiderverse is animation unlike any I’ve seen before.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Most modern movies are total shit, and on the rare occasion that I want to see a new movie, they are usually dumped on a streaming platform 2 months after they come out, so there is no urgency. I probably only go to the theater once a year, and last 3 movies I saw were old movies (Conan The Barbarian, Cyborg, The Mummy) shown at the Alamo Drafthouse.
We have a DVD projector that I set up with a 10 x 10 screen and some of my PA speakers, and have a movie in the driveway at home.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Any Asteroid City reviews? My sons three word review was, "good, but weird".
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

cowpins wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:50 am Any Asteroid City reviews? My sons three word review was, "good, but weird".
I want to see it. Assume it'll be on Prime, Paramount+, Hulu, etc...in a few weeks.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:47 am
cowpins wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:50 am Any Asteroid City reviews? My sons three word review was, "good, but weird".
I want to see it. Assume it'll be on Prime, Paramount+, Hulu, etc...in a few weeks.
I'm interested in that one, too. It looks quirky enough to be fun.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
VinnieVincentsVag

Recent enough:

Midsommar
Hereditary

Midsommar I skipped because my wife said it was slow and plodding.
Smile was ok
Hereditary was freaky
Never heard of Skinamarink.
VinnieVincentsVag

GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Was interested at first but starting to find the Anderson tropes to be a bit much. Will wait for HBO...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:06 pm

Recent enough:

Midsommar
Hereditary

Midsommar I skipped because my wife said it was slow and plodding.
Smile was ok
Hereditary was freaky
Never heard of Skinamarink.
Just watched Midsommar again last night… in the theater! It was a special event screening that Flix Brewhouse does where they show an old (or at least not new) movie. Love that movie. It was great seeing it on the big screen. I wouldn’t say it’s slow nor plodding. It doesn’t take long for shit to kick in at all.

Skinamarink is fairly new. Like only a few months old. I still haven’t seen it.
TravisBicklesMohawk

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Just watched Barbarian. 9/10
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:39 am Just watched Barbarian. 9/10
I set a reminder to watch that. Just landed on Hulu this week.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Wild Obsession wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:01 am Most modern movies are total shit, and on the rare occasion that I want to see a new movie, they are usually dumped on a streaming platform 2 months after they come out, so there is no urgency. I probably only go to the theater once a year, and last 3 movies I saw were old movies (Conan The Barbarian, Cyborg, The Mummy) shown at the Alamo Drafthouse.
We have a DVD projector that I set up with a 10 x 10 screen and some of my PA speakers, and have a movie in the driveway at home.
This.

Seems like such an effort and cost to see a movie. Prefer to watch them in the comfort of my own home. I can wait a couple of months! Never needed to see a movie on release date. Well, maybe Aladdin back in 92!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Mikky_Five
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Mikky_Five »

Theatres around here tend to show old movies and that's usually a cool nostalgia experience.

New movies don't seem to be made for the big-big screen or for people who like to watch movies.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

In the last week I saw both Barbie and Oppenheimer, both were great.
Also saw previews for Asteroid City, looks odd enough to see.
VinnieVincentsVag

rubysdad wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:06 pm In the last week I saw both Barbie and Oppenheimer, both were great.
My son saw both of them last week.
He loved Oppenheimer.
He said Barbie was pretty good too.