Retiring abroad

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Retiring abroad

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

No, not divorcing your wife.

Looking at possibly moving from US in the next 8-10yrs.
Looking at some locations, seems you can live like a king in some places for a small portion of the cost it takes to retire in the US.

Anyone else looked into this and if so, what are your thoughts?
Panama, Costa Rica, Bulgaria, Malaysia etc….
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Retiring abroad

Post by TooOldToCare »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm No, not divorcing your wife.

Looking at some locations, seems you can live like a king in some places for a small portion of the cost it takes to retire in the US.

It is where my head is, but I have not begun researching. So, I am interested, too. We live in Ohio but want moderate weather year-round, minimizing life, close proximity to sand and surf preferred, and a lot of sun. Aruba was on our list back in the early 2000s. Returned in 2022, and we took it off the list. It isn't inexpensive now. I would be interested in LATAM countries where you don't often find heads in duffle bags or government coups.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

never
Last edited by LAglamrocker on Fri May 10, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I wanted Baywatch-Motley life
Everyday is retirement

I look at USA map and just laugh that people want live in 90% of it :lol:

Like the “good life “ in Ohio :lol: :lol:
google Crystal Cove CA vs stupid life Ohio

Those 4 countries I probably got wrong on a map test in 4th grade sounds like pure hell..bye
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I've concluded, based on years of trying to read LA's posts, he/she/they have a touch of the 'tism.
VinnieVincentsVag

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:28 pm

It is where my head is, but I have not begun researching. So, I am interested, too. We live in Ohio but want moderate weather year-round, minimizing life, close proximity to sand and surf preferred, and a lot of sun. Aruba was on our list back in the early 2000s. Returned in 2022, and we took it off the list. It isn't inexpensive now. I would be interested in LATAM countries where you don't often find heads in duffle bags or government coups.
Lived in Cincinnati area for 40+ yrs.
Was pretty glad to leave.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

You started watching that video huey sent on that other thread
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
VinnieVincentsVag

pieceofme wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 pm

You started watching that video huey sent on that other thread
Not yet.
My wife and I have been kicking around the idea for a while now.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Have you considered Bolivia? Chad? Greenland?
40 years of hell in WKRP :lol:
I wouldn’t even want to fly over Cincinnati
40 years :lol: :lol: :lol: someday I’m going live in Bulgaria :lol:
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

LAglamrocker wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 pm I wanted Baywatch-Motley life
Everyday is retirement

I look at USA map and just laugh that people want live in 90% of it :lol:

Like the “good life “ in Ohio :lol: :lol:
google Crystal Cove CA vs stupid life Ohio

Those 4 countries I probably got wrong on a map test in 4th grade sounds like pure hell..bye
Sent from my i fone
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I hear costa rica is no longer cheap. Tons of others had that same idea.

My uncle moved to Panama with his wife around the time Obama got elected because he "didnt like the way the country was headed" I think they felt pretty isolated and moved back after i wanna say 7 years or so.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 pm I've concluded, based on years of trying to read LA's posts, he/she/they have a touch of the 'tism.
Give it another 15 years and they'll be clear as day...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinnieVincentsVag

HueyRamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:18 pm I hear costa rica is no longer cheap. Tons of others had that same idea.

My uncle moved to Panama with his wife around the time Obama got elected because he "didnt like the way the country was headed" I think they felt pretty isolated and moved back after i wanna say 7 years or so.
I’m finding lots of good YT videos on the subject.
I also search for negatives about moving to the areas as well.
Recently watched one on Panama, both positive and negative.
Lots of negatives about Panama.
Would definitely need to vacation somewhere first before blindly moving there.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

You are going be around 70 with the wife when you move..live the dream! Perfect time to move to another country :lol:
Hey look Ecuador 🇪🇨 looks awesome on Facebook!!! Let’s move now! Don’t wait!

Maybe you should vacation in Youngstown first before making this BIG :lol: life choice :lol: :lol:

Always amazing to me some peoples lives actually suck
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I suggest investing in 3-4 Airbnb's in various places that you can then bounce around from. Summers Costa Rica, Winters in Thailand, etc....You can totally turn some fixer uppers around.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
KISStian
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by KISStian »

Completely by accident, I wound up discovering that Belize is a great place for expat retirees. A modest retirement income will have you living like royalty as it stands right now. Seriously considering it but it will depend upon where my kids are at that point in life.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I despise this trend of old White Americans moving to foreign countries with no interest in the country beside the cheapness and it having beaches. You're white-washing the planet, giving zero fucks about the cultures, the languages, or the ways of life, and are driving up the costs of everything so that the locals can't afford to live in their own communities, anymore.
I totally get where you're coming from and don't blame you for wanting to live more cheaply. I have absolutely considered it, too. I've just travelled way too much and have seen too much of the downsides of it.

Also, 100,000% fuck the term "expat." You're an immigrant. If all of the people coming to this country aren't expats, then you aren't, either.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

LAglamrocker wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:34 pm I wouldn’t even want to fly over Cincinnati
:lol:

I've thought about this too. I have this fantasy that our house will reach a million bucks, we'll cash out, then live out our final years in a nice little apartment on a coast somewhere.

The problem is ... the secret's out on all the expat destinations people talk about (Belize, Costa Rica, etc.), so the "deals" are gone and will only get worse in the years ahead. We vacationed in Puerto Vallarta last year and could see getting a place there. There's a big gay community that will continue to spruce up neighborhoods. Ubers, food, and good tequila are all cheap.

An easy way to research this stuff: Watch the international editions of House Hunters on HGTV. My wife had it on last night and somebody was browsing apartments in the $450 range in Laos or Cambodia. Can't remember which one, but it looked interesting.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Mojo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 am I despise this trend of old White Americans moving to foreign countries with no interest in the country beside the cheapness and it having beaches. You're white-washing the planet, giving zero fucks about the cultures, the languages, or the ways of life, and are driving up the costs of everything so that the locals can't afford to live in their own communities, anymore.
I totally get where you're coming from and don't blame you for wanting to live more cheaply. I have absolutely considered it, too. I've just travelled way too much and have seen too much of the downsides of it.

Also, 100,000% fuck the term "expat." You're an immigrant. If all of the people coming to this country aren't expats, then you aren't, either.
I disagree, personally. And, I don't like the term expat either.

Yes, the beaches and sunshine are attractive characteristics for me, but I love the cultures. I've been slooooowly learning Spanish (mainly because our IT partners are LATAM-based (Mexico and South America). I've been to both for work and pleasure. I love the history of these "ancient" cultures and countries. The amount of calm, quiet, and simplicity are good for my mental health. Cost of living and oceans are in the background, while climate is in the foreground. In my 57 years, I spent 10 in Florida and the rest in Ohio (the nation's armpit). I friggin hate winter, gray skies, and tor-fucking-nados. Whatever we do, it won't be done lightly. Pros and cons to everything. For example, if I wind up needing major healthcare in my twilight years, I want good healthcare, whether in a foreign land or returning to the US. As someone said, family will play a part in our actions. We have a granddaughter now. I'd love to be able to have family come and stay wherever we are, but that is often easier said.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:44 am An easy way to research this stuff: Watch the international editions of House Hunters on HGTV. My wife had it on last night and somebody was browsing apartments in the $450 range in Laos or Cambodia. Can't remember which one, but it looked interesting. [/size]
I bet they also have a good Ladyboi population, for those that indulge. :D
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Mojo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 am Also, 100,000% fuck the term "expat." You're an immigrant. If all of the people coming to this country aren't expats, then you aren't, either.

"Expat" and "immigrant" aren't the same thing.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:16 am
Mojo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:52 am Also, 100,000% fuck the term "expat." You're an immigrant. If all of the people coming to this country aren't expats, then you aren't, either.

Fuck this pedantry. If you're planning to live there, you're an immigrant.
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... d-an-expat
ImageImage
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Danzig in the Dark wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:22 am

Not sure what your "church" reference is about, but feel free to reframe things as you like in your own imagination.

Expat refers to a more temporary situation, usually work-related. I was an expat twice when my dad's job took us overseas to Southeast Asia. Were we immigrants? No. We weren't trying to become citizens or permanent residents.

We had family friends in the same line of work who moved every few years. They didn't say "We immigrated to Japan. Then two years later, we immigrated to the Philippines. And now we're immigrating to Hong Kong."

Because that would sound stupid.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:01 am We weren't trying to become citizens or permanent residents.
[/size]
You’re using half-assed semantics. People who retire in foreign countries, intending to live there for the rest of their lives call themselves expats. There are entire communities who label themselves as such. You may not use that term, but it’s the term these groups use.
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 am [quote=Mojo post_id=7776906 time=<a href="tel:1715521958">1715521958</a> user_id=93646]
I despise this trend of old White Americans moving to foreign countries with no interest in the country beside the cheapness and it having beaches. You're white-washing the planet, giving zero fucks about the cultures, the languages, or the ways of life, and are driving up the costs of everything so that the locals can't afford to live in their own communities, anymore.

I disagree, personally. And, I don't like the term expat either.

Yes, the beaches and sunshine are attractive characteristics for me, but I love the cultures. I've been slooooowly learning Spanish (mainly because our IT partners are LATAM-based (Mexico and South America). I've been to both for work and pleasure. I love the history of these "ancient" cultures and countries. The amount of calm, quiet, and simplicity are good for my mental health. Cost of living and oceans are in the background, while climate is in the foreground. In my 57 years, I spent 10 in Florida and the rest in Ohio (the nation's armpit). I friggin hate winter, gray skies, and tor-fucking-nados. Whatever we do, it won't be done lightly. Pros and cons to everything. For example, if I wind up needing major healthcare in my twilight years, I want good healthcare, whether in a foreign land or returning to the US. As someone said, family will play a part in our actions. We have a granddaughter now. I'd love to be able to have family come and stay wherever we are, but that is often easier said.
[/quote]
That’s really great that you are interested in these cultures and languages. You are the minority. I’ve spent way too much time with friends in popular “expat” areas like Ensenada and Rosarito that are full of people who don’t.
Image Image
Danzig in the Dark

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:01 am
Danzig in the Dark wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:22 am

Not sure what your "church" reference is about, but feel free to reframe things as you like in your own imagination.

Expat refers to a more temporary situation, usually work-related. I was an expat twice when my dad's job took us overseas to Southeast Asia. Were we immigrants? No. We weren't trying to become citizens or permanent residents.

We had family friends in the same line of work who moved every few years. They didn't say "We immigrated to Japan. Then two years later, we immigrated to the Philippines. And now we're immigrating to Hong Kong."

Because that would sound stupid.
It would be a shame if you sounded fucking stupid.
ImageImage
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Mojo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:17 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:01 am We weren't trying to become citizens or permanent residents.
[/size]
You’re using half-assed semantics.

No, I'm not. Words have meanings.

You're the one misusing a specific word as a blanket term to cover situations that don't apply.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 pm

You're the one misusing a specific word as a blanket term to cover situations that don't apply.
The Expat community is huge and has been for a while. I'm sorry that you don't like how they're using the word, but it is what it is. This isn't new.
Image Image
Danzig in the Dark

Mojo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 pm

The Expat community is huge and has been for a while. I'm sorry that you don't like how they're using the word, but it is what it is. This isn't new.
It's the return of Mumm-Ra.
ImageImage
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm

From those you listed, Malaysia may be a good option, and also India and Sri Lanka are affordable and improved a lot in the last 10-20 years. Otherwise most places that improve significantly also become expensive - so forget living on the cheap in former budget destinations Lithuania, Poland or Croatia anymore unless you move to some some godforsaken village, and still things like food and energy can be expensive.

I would guess that Ukraine may end up as a nice and affordable place but there's a war that needs to end (with Ukrainian victory) before that.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

I've heard some great things about Spain and Portugal.

Although Spain, I suspect, is probably tired of the Brits invasion, and would be just as tired of a US invasion.

Good luck though whatever you do. Would not mind living in Paris someday. 8)
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image