Rate the last movie you saw

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by Gazpacho »

Trist805 wrote:Hesher (2011) Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt, Rainn Wilson and Natalie Portman. 7.5/10. More of a drama than a comedy but the Hesher character was still pretty funny.

Another good flick
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho »

Metal Judge wrote:Super

9/10

This is on Netflix, gonna check it out.
KneelandBobDylan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

Man With the Iron Fists. Rza's take on a kung fu flick.

Russell Crowe chews a bit of scenery, but overall pretty cool.

7/10
EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Grown-Ups 2. Turned it off within 30 minutes. I wasn't expecting much, and got even less.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Excalibur - 6/10. I fucking hate fantasy with a passion, but some friends got me stoned until I couldn't move and made me sit through this nineteen hour flick, and I somehow enjoyed it. Most of the time I wasn't sure if it was Monty Python or a "serious" action movie, but I guess for the genre this is as good as it gets.
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:Beat (2000) - 6/10.

Movie about William S. Burroughs, focusing mostly on when he was living with Joan Vollmer in Mexico, and a visit from Ginsberg and Lucien Carr. Kiefer Sutherland as Burroughs is surprisingly good, Joan played by Courtney Love I can't rate because I never saw or heard the real one, same goes for Carr. Ron Livingston as Ginsberg is weak. There's a spot-on Kerouac cameo, but I don't know the actor.

Definitely interesting for Beat Generation aficionados, pointless and most likely boring as hell for anybody else.
I enjoy anything on the Beat Generation writers - definitely going to have to check this out.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:Excalibur - 6/10.
Thanks to this post I've had O Fortuna looping in my head for three hours. I guess it could be worse. You could have mentioned Season of the Witch...
Oh, shit. :x
Alabama Slammer

Post by Alabama Slammer »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:Excalibur - 6/10. I fucking hate fantasy with a passion, but some friends got me stoned until I couldn't move and made me sit through this nineteen hour flick, and I somehow enjoyed it. Most of the time I wasn't sure if it was Monty Python or a "serious" action movie, but I guess for the genre this is as good as it gets.
I've always dug that movie, but I've always been a bit of a sucker for anything related to Aurthurian legend.

My only gripe was the changing of the knight that found the Grail from Galahad to Gawain.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

I couldn't tell all those guys apart to begin with, and I'm fairly sure that story isn't exactly historically accurate, so I was able to look past that.
MurrayFiend wrote:Tirez sur le pianiste- 7/10.

Truffaut film from 1960, starring Charles Aznavour. Not bad at all.
Watched this upon your recommendation and really liked it too. Aznavour and Boby Lapointe in one movie is pretty cool in itself. Now I'll probably have that "Framboise" song stuck in my head forever.

ArielPlath wrote:I enjoy anything on the Beat Generation writers - definitely going to have to check this out.
There are a bunch of Beat movies I liked: Cronenberg's Naked Lunch is one of my favorite movies ever; Howl with James Franco as Ginsberg is really original and definitely worth checking out; What Happened to Kerouac was great (although sad as hell), and the recent Burroughs documentary A Man Within was well done too. And you can't forget Burroughs' role as a priest in Drugstore Cowboy.

Then there's Pull My Daisy, starring Ginsberg, Corso and a bunch of others, narrated by Kerouac. It's even on Youtube, if you've never seen that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svo0aa91Cm0

One I haven't watched yet is The Last Time I Commited Suicide because I'm scared that Keanu Reeves sucks. Haven't check out On The Road yet either. There's a fairly new Neal Cassady documentary called Love Always, Carolyn, but I've never saw it for less than 30 bucks or something ridiculous like that. Really looking forward to Big Sur, whenever it's released.

Anything important I'm missing?
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:There are a bunch of Beat movies I liked: Cronenberg's Naked Lunch is one of my favorite movies ever; Howl with James Franco as Ginsberg is really original and definitely worth checking out; What Happened to Kerouac was great (although sad as hell), and the recent Burroughs documentary A Man Within was well done too. And you can't forget Burroughs' role as a priest in Drugstore Cowboy.

Then there's Pull My Daisy, starring Ginsberg, Corso and a bunch of others, narrated by Kerouac. It's even on Youtube, if you've never seen that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svo0aa91Cm0

One I haven't watched yet is The Last Time I Commited Suicide because I'm scared that Keanu Reeves sucks. Haven't check out On The Road yet either. There's a fairly new Neal Cassady documentary called Love Always, Carolyn, but I've never saw it for less than 30 bucks or something ridiculous like that. Really looking forward to Big Sur, whenever it's released.

Thanks for the suggestions SLD! I've seen Naked Lunch, Drugstore Cowboy and What Happened to Kerouac - that was sad!

I know some people don't consider Bukowski a beat writer, but there is an excellent biographical documentary out about him called "Born Into This" - definitely worth checking out if you like Bukowski. I also have some DVDs of Bukowski readings. The best one is "The Last Straw" - it was filmed in Redondo Beach, CA in 1980 - it is supposedly his last reading. Its technically raw, but that is so fitting for Bukowski.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

I wouldn't call him Beat either, he's kind of in a league of his own. But yeah, I'm a huge Bukowski nerd too, and collect pretty much anything I could get my hands on: the books in all languages I understand, movies, documentaries, recordings, even some stupid memorabilia.

Born Into This is great, so are The Bukowski Tapes. It's a four hour collection of interviews filmed by Barbet Schroeder (director of Barfly), capturing some amazing moments, like Buk totally losing his shit on Linda Lee and literally kicking her off the couch.
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

The Bukowski Tapes sound awesome - I so need to check that out! I am a huge Buk fan too - I enjoy his poetry the most - my favorite collection is You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

ArielPlath wrote:The Bukowski Tapes sound awesome - I so need to check that out! I am a huge Buk fan too - I enjoy his poetry the most - my favorite collection is You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense.
But, the dude hates Mickey Mouse. How can anybody hate the big M?
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

Inessence wrote:
ArielPlath wrote:The Bukowski Tapes sound awesome - I so need to check that out! I am a huge Buk fan too - I enjoy his poetry the most - my favorite collection is You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense.
But, the dude hates Mickey Mouse. How can anybody hate the big M?
So does Carl Hiaasen and he is another one of my favorite authors - he wrote "Team Rodent - How Disney Devours the World". :D
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

"Only God Forgives" - 2/10

Really bad, with laughable dialogue. There are some cool, deliberately-framed shots, but Refn's only interest was in designing a movie around those cool-looking shots, and that just didn't work out too well. Kristin Scott Thomas' character says some if the most bizarrely fucked up stuff though.

"The Way, Way Back" - 8/10

Great movie. Really funny and sweet. It's like "Meatballs," if Alexander Payne had written and directed it. Sam Rockwell, as always, is the man, and Steve Carrell does a really good job playing a total asshole. Also, Allison Janney is a hoot as a totally sassy boozer. It's a good alternative to the giant, loud blockbusters.

"Take This Waltz" - 9/10

This movie is fantastic. It's Sarah Polley's second narrative movie, but her first, "Away From Her," was equally great. This has a really excellent cast, great writing and acting and sharp direction. Michelle Williams and Luke Kirby are terrific, but what was most exciting was that the two actors who are usually known as comedic performers, Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverman, also gave terrific dramatic performances.
Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Albert Nobbs 8/10
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
Caustic Queen
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Caustic Queen »

The Purge - 0/10

I can't even describe how much I hated this flick. Irritating, stupid and slow as molasses in January.
I wanted to reach through the screen and bash the son's face into a brick wall until he bled to death.

The Lone Ranger - 2/10
This flick was a total dud.
It didn't know if it wanted to be a comedy or action flick... wasn't good at being either.
LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Post by LillianRoxyFA »

R.I.P.D.

Stunning how much of a rip-off this movie is of Men In Black. Decent premise but poorly executed. Ryan Reynolds' shtick is growing tiresome. Funny in spots, but generally tedious.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
Hurls34

Post by Hurls34 »

Caustic Queen wrote:The Purge - 0/10

I can't even describe how much I hated this flick. Irritating, stupid and slow as molasses in January.
I wanted to reach through the screen and bash the son's face into a brick wall until he bled to death..
I totally agree, not only would I have traded in the black dude in exchange for my families safety, but I would have thrown them my bonehead son in as well for putting the rest of the family in jeopardy.
The sons senseless act basically resulted in all that shit going down.

I also like how they try to play off the dad as an asshole for shooting his daughters boyfriend. When he apologized, I think I said out loud "THIS IS STUPID!"
Yorgi: Now that buisness is finished, We party. Kolya!!!

Kolya: Bitches, come!!!!
caroline
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by caroline »

Sharknado: 7/10
I only caught the last 40 minutes of the movie (TV minutes with commercials) which was likely perfect because I think all the best stuff was there. I laughed myself fucking silly. Possibly the worst Syfy movie yet, in the most awesome way.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

"Mud" - 9/10

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Reminded me a bit of Stand by Me. Definitely recommend this flick
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

LillianRoxyFA wrote:R.I.P.D.

Stunning how much of a rip-off this movie is of Men In Black. Decent premise but poorly executed. Ryan Reynolds' shtick is growing tiresome. Funny in spots, but generally tedious.
From the ads it looks completely like a MIB rip off. Can't believe this thing got filmed.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Police Academy - 7/10

Frozen Planet: Disc 1 - 10/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Trist805
I LOVE BIG BLACK COCK

Post by Trist805 »

The Wolverine. 6/10. Very underwhelming. The wolverine character is very spot-on but they just can't seem to find a good storyline in this. The whole thing is very random and out-of-place. You also get a really shitty female lead villian, Venom, who comes off like Poison Ivy from that shitty batman movie. No other cool mutants which at least the first origins movie had. Besides a couple of scenes, this wasn't that great. Thought the whole Japan thing was uneccessary too.
theglammerthebetter
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by theglammerthebetter »

The perks of being a wallflower(2012) Movie is about a freshman who makes friend with a gang of seniors, it's Set in the early 90's and Emma Watson was stunning.

Havent been touched like this by a movie in while, almost brought the tears

and no im not the only one who liked it, its at 85% on rotten tomatoes and at 90% from the audience, 8.1 on imdb
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
Caustic Queen
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Caustic Queen »

Snitch - 7/10.
Yea, this had some so-so parts, started slow and was confusing at the end... but Dwayne Johnson looked great.

8 Butterflies - 0/10
All I can say about this one is "What the FUCK did I just watch???"
jadecrowe

Post by jadecrowe »

Evil Dead 8/10 no comedy in it like the original had...just lots of gore and a body count. and sometimes that's a good thing. and yeah, okay, i would watch Shiloh Fernandez read the weather report so that was a definite bonus :D
"I'm afraid of what I've become. Tell them they should be too."
Gazpacho
THREAD AIDS

Post by Gazpacho »

Royal Dudeness wrote:"Mud" - 9/10

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Reminded me a bit of Stand by Me. Definitely recommend this flick

My wife and I have been wanting to see this.

You see it at theater or rent it?
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Eddie and the Cruisers - 7/10.
ArielPlath wrote:
SebastianLeeDanzig wrote:One I haven't watched yet is The Last Time I Commited Suicide because I'm scared that Keanu Reeves sucks. Haven't check out On The Road yet either. There's a fairly new Neal Cassady documentary called Love Always, Carolyn, but I've never saw it for less than 30 bucks or something ridiculous like that. Really looking forward to Big Sur, whenever it's released.

Thanks for the suggestions SLD! I've seen Naked Lunch, Drugstore Cowboy and What Happened to Kerouac - that was sad!
This talk made me watch Last Time I Commited Suicide now too. I'd give it a 6. Not bad, but they're going a bit over the top trying to make everything all 50s hip and jazzy to the point of being annoying.
Kristi Vanian
Spike's Bitch

Post by Kristi Vanian »

Nevada Smith - 6/10. Steve McQueen

Long, boring. It's not till the last 40 mins or so that it picks up.