Rate the last movie you saw

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

I took my son to see Last Jedi again today....

My feelings on it haven't changed. There are two big issues I have with it and a couple smaller ones. As I shared earlier, the comedy in the movie is not right for Star Wars. The whole beginning scene feels like Dark Helmet should have been on deck with Hux. "I believe he's tooling with you..." It's on the same level of comedy as Starlord starting to dance to distract the bad guy at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy. It fits in the Marvel Universe (sometimes) but it's just completely wrong for the Star Wars Universe. Also, it just completely undermines any actual threat the New Order has. Throughout the movie, they make terrible decision after terrible decision. When you think back to the original trilogy, and even in Rogue One, Grand Moff Tarkin wasn't fucking around. He was sinister and fucking shit up. In the end his overconfidence did him in, but up to that point, there was nothing that suggested that he was a bumbling idiot. How is Hux basically 2nd in command? The guy is an idiot. How are they ruling the Galaxy with Hux, who'd probably forget to unzip his pants before taking a leak, and temper tantrum boy, in charge? Could it be the Disney influence? The common thread between this and the Marvel movies is that the villains aren't very threatening.

I can't get past the characterization of Luke in this movie. First off, if he didn't want to be found, why is there a hidden map to his location??? After Force Awakens, I was on board with him being in hiding for some reason, much like Kenobi being in hiding to look over him. Second, I don't buy that, he'd ever consider for a second killing Ben. He's his sister's and best friend's kid who is named after his first teacher. He didn't give up on his own father who did much worse things than Ben has done or probably ever will do. I think they could have come up with a better reason for him to be in hiding that was more true to his character. That doesn't mean Luke had to be a central character, as some people stated above. There were a couple nice touches, though. For instance, Luke going on the Falcon and the call back to New Hope with Leia was a nice touch, the "where's Han?!", Luke with Leia. I was okay with Luke not surviving the movie and being the "spark" so to speak.

Rey's parentage, I'll hold off on criticizing. It could just be Kylo trying to groom her saying "your nobody, but your somebody to me". It's something that can still be addressed in episode 9. I just don't see how you have a whole movie where she is questioning her own parentage, Maz and Solo discussing who she is, Kylo all "GIRL, GIRL??? What Girl?" like he had an idea who she was, and then just say' "she's nobody special" in this movie. I don't think she HAS to be somebody, but it just seems to not be in keeping with what Force Awakens had set up. Maybe something more will be known in the next one.

I do like the dynamic between Rey and Kylo. That's the best part of the movie, IMO. The battle with the red guards was great. I like how they haven't made Rey and Kylo super-powered and invulnerable. Neither one of them appears to be great fighters or know how to use the force while in combat.

I think the frustration with a lot of fans is that there was good stuff in this movie, but it could have been even better. For me, I liked it, but if they had kept Luke true to his character, followed through a little better with what was set up in Force Awakens, let the villains be villains and be a threat, and had the comedy be more situational rather than the stupid comedy that was in it, it would have been stellar.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
gruentransfer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by gruentransfer »

Greatest Showman. Story was predictable but the acting is good, I loved the costumes and the song & dance routines. For that alone I'd give it a 7.5/10.
You should always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Event Horizon - 5/10

Carnival Of Souls - 3/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

King Arthur :Legend of the Sword (2017) Jude Law Eric Bana, I really didnt wanna watch it cause i dont usually like middle age movies but i really enjoyed this one 7.5/10
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - 6/10:
Not a bad remake of the Agatha Christie classic, if a little bit too Hollywood-y. I guess they're rehashing the whole franchise too, the ending already hinted at Murder on the Death on the Nile. Lots of familiar faces, Michelle Pfeiffer (who will make you feel old), Penélope Cruz, Judi Dench, Willem Dafoe and a bunch of others. Johnny Depp is fortunately killed very early. Daisy Ridley is hot in it. Didn't know the dude playing Poirot, but he was pretty good, actually did a good French accent for a change.

Black Butterfly (2017) - 5/10:
It's basically Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Rhys Myers hanging out at a mountain hut, with a little bit of crying by the Coyote Ugly chick in the end. Starts not bad, but the "twists" are stupid as fuck. Only saw it in Spanish, so it's possible I missed something, but the plot was pretty obvious either way.
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

Gazpacho wrote:Saw Shape Of Water.
I thought it was a beautiful movie.

My wife hated it.
Couldn’t get past the creature

8/10
This might be grounds for divorce. ;)
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

"Molly's Game" - 8/10

Really good movie. Very "Social Network"-ish in style. Great cast and typically crackling Sorkin dialogue, and the man has definitely learned a thing or two on his way to the director's chair.
theglammerthebetter

Cymbeline (2014) Ethan Hawke Milla Jovovich, Dakota Johnson, Ed Harri,s John Leguizamo, Delroy Lindo. Didnt understand half of it, so confusing 3/10
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

"All the Money in the World" - 7.5/10

I would have said a 7, but I'll be a bit more generous. Pretty decent movie, not great. Ridley really doesn't make movies with much of an emotional center. Christopher Plummer is great, as is Michelle Williams, and Mark Wahlberg is also very good. And the reshoots were integrated seamlessly. But this feels like, maybe less of a headline kidnapping story and more of an intended rebuke of extreme, cold wealth in the age of Trump. A parallel essentially. Which is effective, as it certainly shows you how cold Getty was as a person in the face of a very human situation.
theglammerthebetter

Great double feature today

The Fate of the Furious(2017) The Rock, Diesel, Statham, Charlize Theron, Kurt Russel Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese, Luda. Just pure fun and entertainment 9/10

A Dog's Purpose(2017)Dennis Quaid Britt Robertson. Loved it even if i cried my eyes out for the last 20 minutes or so 9/10
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

The Founder - 4/5

Great movie about the start of McDonald's and how Ray Kroc essentially hijacked the brand from the original founding brothers. I didn't know much about the movie or the history of the chain. Initially I really liked Ray Kroc's character and his vision to grow the brand, but by the end I wanted him dead. Man, he turned into a piece of shit.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 7/10

Just saw this last night. Still trying to let it sink in. On the surface, it was really good and I mostly enjoyed the story and the action. If I'm being more picky, some of the dialogue was kinda lame and out of character for the Star Wars franchise. Also, there were a few aspects of the story that were pretty weak and should've been rewritten or re-shot all together.
Sir Lancelot
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sir Lancelot »

Project Florida
7/10
Very accurate of the type of trash that are drawn to the state. I actually stayed for a week at one of the hotels in the movie before I got my apartment in Orlando. It was full of Russians back then. Actually lots of hot Russian girls that were working in other hotels in the area. It was like one giant party motel every night. It was a dump though just like in the movie.
Kiss Crue
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Kiss Crue »

The Last Jedi - 8 out of 10.

I'm not a Star Wars guy so I didn't have any of that weirdo dogma that prevented me from liking it.
Sir Lancelot

Post by Sir Lancelot »

Lady Bird
6/10
I felt like I'd seen this movie a a few times already. This plot scenario along with every character cliche has been done to death. The lead actress, Saoirse Ronan is the only saving grace. I've been a fan of her acting ever since I saw her in City of Ember. I really think she will end up being considered one of the greats some day. There is no doubt she has a bright future ahead of her.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Took the kids to see Jumangi. It was fun. Kevin Hart and Jack Black were great.

Predictable, but well executed.

8/10 for keeping the little bastards quiet for two hours, while simultaneously amusing dad.
Sir Lancelot

Post by Sir Lancelot »

WOLF wrote:Took the kids to see Jumangi. It was fun. Kevin Hart and Jack Black were great.

Predictable, but well executed.

8/10 for keeping the little bastards quiet for two hours, while simultaneously amusing dad.
I took my nieces to see it. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I had planned. The red head from Doctor Who helped immensely due to the fact she’s so freakin hot! I got a little bored near the end but it deserves a 7/10. I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse this past few years.
Here is a link to her costume in the movie. She’s like 30 years old. I would have guessed 20.
https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incom ... 377513.jpg
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

In the Valley of Violence - 2016 - Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga. Bascially an old West version of John Wick. Very enjoyable. Great dog. 7/10.
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
RPB
Goes Down Smooth

Post by RPB »

Finally saw It. Wasn't expecting the beginning (never saw the original). Pretty damn good. 9/10. The end.
stocknsocks
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by stocknsocks »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote:In the Valley of Violence - 2016 - Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga. Bascially an old West version of John Wick. Very enjoyable. Great dog. 7/10.
I forgot about that one. It was really entertaining and I generally hate Hawke.
Live like a legend, die like an asshole.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

A Field In England - 2/10
Couldn't wait for this to end.

In The Mouth Of Madness - 5/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
theglammerthebetter

3 Generations(2015) Naomi Watts Elle Fanning Susan Sarandon, female teen who wants to transition to a boy living with her single mother who happens to live with her lesbian mother and lover, you get the picture every one is so hateable , especially the self centered teen. Not that its a bad movie but everyone is so unlikeable 6/10
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Brawl in Cell Block 99 9/10

Badass.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote:In the Valley of Violence - 2016 - Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga. Bascially an old West version of John Wick. Very enjoyable. Great dog. 7/10.
Well, the dog dies, and he goes for vengeance. It wasn't nearly as violent and serious as I was expecting. I was expecting the Travolta character to be a lot more brutal as well. It was more tongue in cheek. 5 out of 10 for me.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

The Burbs - 8.

Seen this film about 5 times, and always very enjoyable.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
theglammerthebetter

The Promise(2016)Christian Bale Charlotte LeBon 6.5/10
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Burying the Ex - 3. Man this film was annoying, mostly because of the lead character. The only slightly amusing parts were with his half brother Travis. Even Alexandra Daddario's incredible rack could not save this film.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Final Girl - the son from Vikings, and three of his frat friends take girls to wood and kill them for sport. A girl is trained from a young age to become an assassin, and she is tasked with killing these frat boys. The young girl is the actress from Little Miss Sunshine. She has definitely grown up!

This film had potential, but there was no real cohesion and transition in the movie. So a 5 out of 10 for me.

theglammerthebetter

Kong Skull Island (2017) Samuel L Jackson, Brie Larson, John Goodman, John C Reilly (who was great) 7/10
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

"I, Tonya" - 8.5/10

Great movie. Amazing performances in a movie that's equal parts drama and absurd humor, working heavily off of an interview/broken fourth wall style. It doesn't let Harding off the hook but kind of explains how some of her choices were made, and how the choices of others also made her. Margot Robbie is fantastic, but Allison Janney sort of steals the movie whenever she shows up by playing the worst sports parent ever.

"The Post" - 8/10

I liked this one a lot, too. The cast is top-notch of course, and as has been said already very timely in terms of the American press and the empowerment of women. It's got some of those Spielbergian touches that people tend to crow about, but overall, it's really well done per his usual high standards, and the writing is incredibly tight. Streep and Hanks had never worked together before but have a terrific rapport, but more importantly, the movie got the "Mr. Show" guys back together. :wink: