Moderator: Metal Sludge

Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by Facedown »

Dead Snow 2 - 7/10

The Houses October Built - 6/10
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Judge Smails
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Judge Smails »

Indy_Rob wrote:
EddieVanHeineken wrote:
Indy_Rob wrote:Dunkirk - 5/10

I had high hopes for it but it fell short. Needlessly jumped around, characters that I ultimately didn't care about, scenes that were hard to follow, and dialogue that was hard to decipher (at times). However, it was well-shot, sounded great, and had some really high tension moments that kept my attention.

The movie wasn't about the individual characters or the dialogue. Chris Nolan made it about the experience and didn't want to have some stupid hamfisted narrative with Dunkirk in the background. It's just about the experience and the emotion of it all. If you didn't have any type of visceral or emotional reaction during this movie, you should check your pulse.
Meh, I'm not the only one that holds this view of the movie. I'm not saying it wasn't a decent movie, it just fell short of expectations. I like Chris Nolan a lot but this movie was at the bottom of his body of work IMO.
Loved this film. Saw it on a gigantic screen with loud, booming sound, agree with Eddie that this was not a character development film, thus no set up, the film just starts. I enjoyed how they portrayed Churchill's famous post-Dunkirk speech. I didn't mind the non-lineal layout of the film either. I could easily follow that you were witnessing the same event from three different perspectives (land, air and sea). A fast (only 107 minutes) intense, high energy film that grips the viewer and holds you in your seat. An event in the early days of WWII that many feel was Hitler's greatest blunder as he could have decimated or captured a huge portion of the British army instead of letting them retreat to England thinking they would never come back.

For those metal fans on this site, it was the Dunkirk evacuations that led Churchill to give his famous "...we shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans..." speech that Maiden uses before Aces High
"You'll get nothing and like it"
theglammerthebetter

Post by theglammerthebetter »

Ouija: Origins of Evil(2016) The mom was one hot milf and the oldest daughter was cute too , always fun to see the ET guy is still acting 6.5/10
They say all good boys go to heaven
But bad boys bring heaven to you
Suicide_Note
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Suicide_Note »

Vanilla Sky - 2/10

Watched it last night, and though slow at first, it held my interest. About 45 minutes or so into the movie, things went completely off the rails, and i could hardly wait for the movie to end. Great acting, but the rest of this flick is a convoluted, boring mess.

Also, Cameron Diaz is one ugly broad.
Last edited by Suicide_Note on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

The Wall

7 out of 10
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

The Washups - the 39,999th time is a charm. Documentary on Motley Crue reuniting in 2018 in response to "the fans."
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Arrival

Love Amy Adams but lately her choices are suspect. 4/10
The movie was very, very slow. Thumbs up to the DP. Great
job with the images.
theglammerthebetter

The Women (2008) Meg Ryan, Eva Mendes, Annette Benning, Candice Berger, Jada Pinkett Smith, Debra Messing , Carrie Fisher Bette Midler Debi Mazar.

Havent seen this one since it was on the big screen, gimmick movie with not a single male actor in it 6.5/10 Always get a kick of Meg Ryan saying she could suck the nails off a board :lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

Bang Bang You're Dead; 10/10
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

Dark tower

5/10

Not as bad as reviews are saying, as a movie in itself. It's pretty short and doesn't do justice to the series at all.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Charles Bukaki »

EddieVanHeineken wrote:Dark tower

5/10

Not as bad as reviews are saying, as a movie in itself. It's pretty short and doesn't do justice to the series at all.
I just saw it too, here's a cut and paste that I just put on the Dark Tower thread.

I was going to wait until Sunday to see it, but I unexpectedly got off work early and caught a 6pm showing tonight (Friday) There were a grand total of fifteen people in the theater. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it was far from good. I don't watch a lot of movies anymore and outside of the Burton and the first two Nolan Batmans, haven't seen any other superhero/comic book movie, but I have a feeling that that's the crowd they're going for here, which is probably why they also went for a PG-13 rating. Parts of it were decent. The kid who played Jake was by far the standout. Idris Elba was a pretty solid Roland, but he's not the Roland from the books, and not because of his skin color. Mcconaughey just came off as a typical movie villain. I'm a fan of the guy and he can be an incredible actor, but he was way more horrifying at times in True Detective than he was in this movie and in this movie he's supposed to be one of King's biggest, most feared villains. It just didn't work. There was way too much exposition, and it seemed pretty apparent it was all shoehorned in, probably after a rough cut because Sony was afraid it wouldn't make enough sense. The indoor scenes in Mid World looked like fake post apocalyptic sets. The filmmakers have continually said that while they made a lot of changes to the story, they kept the tone and feel of the books and the characters. Total bullshit. Movie Jake can do things book Jake couldn't. Movie Roland has attributes and personal characteristics that book Roland never did. I'm going to leave it at that to avoid spoilers

Something else I'm getting sick and tired of are fucking easter eggs. It doesn't help that superfans are flipping out over these stupid little references, but to me it just seems lazy. the 11/22/63 miniseries was riddled with them (and is horrible BTW, much worse than this movie) and it's the same thing in this movie. I understand that King been doing this kind of thing since he published his first book, but in a visual medium it just seems like a lame attempt to be clever. Ohh look, there's a woman walking a St. Bernard (I didn't make that up, it was really in the movie for a split second) and there were a bunch of other ones that just made me roll my eyes. To me, they're just a distraction, and I really don't understand their appeal. I just took a look at a King group I belong to on Facebook and people are wetting themselves about how cool they are and how clever you have to be to spot them.

So it could have been worse, but it could have been a hell of a lot better. I went in knowing it wasn't going to be the Dark Tower story I know, but these aren't the characters I know either, despite what the writers and director promised.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Underworld blood wars

10/10
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
theglammerthebetter

Rules Don't Apply (2016) The movie wasnt bad but who thought that a movie with Warren Beatty playing Howard Hughes was a good idea in 2016 ? They must have lost a shit ton of money, Lilly Collins( she was pretty good and cute too) , Matthew Broderick, Annette Benning, martin Sheen, Candice Bergen were also in it

It was a pure vanity project for Beatty who was the star /director/writer probably just an excuse to make out with Lilly whos more than 50 years younger than him :shock: , im sure he has some amazing dirt on a studio head to get this greenlight :lol: but the movie wasnt bad 6.5/10
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Absentia - 7/10

The Canal - 6/10
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

"Detroit" - 9/10

Fantastic movie. So well-crafted from script to acting to cinematography and design. Kathryn Bigelow is an amazing director. It focuses on both the broader scale of the '67 Detroit riots as well as one particular infamous incident that occurred at that time. It's bombing at the box office though which is a shame. I don't know why Hollywood tries to release these great Oscar movies in August.

"Atomic Blonde" - 7.5/10

Better than I thought it would be. Very entertaining, with some stylish visuals and a good deal of great action sequences done in one long take. Theron and McAvoy do some cool work playing agents. Theron is badass in this (much better than her performance in "The Fate of the Furious"). Worth a rental if nothing else.
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

TenBenny wrote:"Detroit" - 9/10

Fantastic movie. So well-crafted from script to acting to cinematography and design. Kathryn Bigelow is an amazing director. It focuses on both the broader scale of the '67 Detroit riots as well as one particular infamous incident that occurred at that time. It's bombing at the box office though which is a shame. I don't know why Hollywood tries to release these great Oscar movies in August.
Saw this today. Great movie. Intense and infuriating.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
Artemis2085

Post by Artemis2085 »

theglammerthebetter wrote:Rules Don't Apply (2016) The movie wasnt bad but who thought that a movie with Warren Beatty playing Howard Hughes was a good idea in 2016 ? They must have lost a shit ton of money, Lilly Collins( she was pretty good and cute too) , Matthew Broderick, Annette Benning, martin Sheen, Candice Bergen were also in it

It was a pure vanity project for Beatty who was the star /director/writer probably just an excuse to make out with Lilly whos more than 50 years younger than him :shock: , im sure he has some amazing dirt on a studio head to get this greenlight :lol: but the movie wasnt bad 6.5/10
The story went that the film was over 12 years in the works formally. Countless rewrites, stops, starts. He finally gets its made and it makes $65,000 on opening night and by Sunday made like $250,000K. Worst thanksgiving opening weekend in film history, studio lost over $40M.

Benny! Thanks for the word on Detroit. Looks interesting.
Professional Hater
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Potato cakes.
Aesop wrote: I tire of pussies that refuse to speak their mind, defend this great nation, or seek employment.
theglammerthebetter

Artemis2085 wrote:
theglammerthebetter wrote:Rules Don't Apply (2016) The movie wasnt bad but who thought that a movie with Warren Beatty playing Howard Hughes was a good idea in 2016 ? They must have lost a shit ton of money, Lilly Collins( she was pretty good and cute too) , Matthew Broderick, Annette Benning, martin Sheen, Candice Bergen were also in it

The story went that the film was over 12 years in the works formally. Countless rewrites, stops, starts. He finally gets its made and it makes $65,000 on opening night and by Sunday made like $250,000K. Worst thanksgiving opening weekend in film history, studio lost over $40M.
Im not surprise even if the movie was decent i couldnt imagine anyone looking forward to it

Jackie(2016) Natalie Portman ,Peter Sarsgaard, even Doogie Howser's friend Max Casella was in it :lol: . Found it pretty boring 5.5/10
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

"The Founder" - 8.5/10

Rewatched this one as it's streaming on Netflix. Of course, as it was after the first time, I am now once again craving a hamburger and a milkshake. I still think the Coen Brothers would have made a more potent movie than John Lee Hancock, but he did a good job with it. The script is very good, and Keaton, Offerman and Lynch are terrific.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

TenBenny wrote:"The Founder" - 8.5/10

Rewatched this one as it's streaming on Netflix. Of course, as it was after the first time, I am now once again craving a hamburger and a milkshake. I still think the Coen Brothers would have made a more potent movie than John Lee Hancock, but he did a good job with it. The script is very good, and Keaton, Offerman and Lynch are terrific.
I enjoyed this too. Watching Ray Kroc turn into a corporate baboon was amazing.
theglammerthebetter

Becoming Bond (2017) George Lazenby, Jane Seymour Dana Carvey . Pretty interesting 6.5/10
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Honeymoon - 4/10

Resoulution - Pretty good but I thought the ending sucked.
Maybe 7/10
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Watched a couple Tarantino flicks this week:

Inglourious Basterds - 9/10
--- Love this movie. Tarantino does a great job of creating tension. The opening scene, the basement pub scene, the Landa/Shosanna restaurant scene. This movie was so well cast. Definitely one of his best.

Jackie Brown - 5/10
--- I'm being generous w/ the "5" rating. This movie is easily in the bottom 2 of Tarantino movies. Normally you can count on really well-written dialogue and really interesting characters in QT movies but not this one. This movie has some good parts but it's also kind of a mess. It's like QT phoned it in.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

The Washups - 10/10
-- Love this movie. Vince calls Tommy a wigger and Tommy calls Vince fat. Vince takes a bite out of his Royal w/ Cheese and Mick's grandkid turns 65.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:The Washups - 10/10
-- Love this movie. Vince calls Tommy a wigger and Tommy calls Vince fat. Vince takes a bite out of his Royal w/ Cheese and Mick's grandkid turns 65.
Was Nikki out for sandwiches?
ImageImage
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:
Punk rockers share a sandwich with a washup. Another great scene from an all time classic
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:
Punk rockers share a sandwich with a washup. Another great scene from an all time classic
ImageImage
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

DEATH ROW JOE wrote:
Danzig in the Dark wrote: Was Nikki out for sandwiches?
Siskel & Ebert - "Stick" (1985)
theglammerthebetter

Kicks(2016) Movie about a hood teen wanting and having his Air Jordan Stolen. Much better than i was expecting 7/10
theglammerthebetter

Underworld Blood Wars(2016) Kate Beckinsale and Theo James. Pretty bad 5/10