A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:03 pm but seldom got their titties out,
See, that is just head-scratching.

It's the 70s, the actresses agreed to tit it up.... it's a titty movie.... and the director makes the creative decision to use LESS tit?

It's like they DONT want to be successful on purpose. Like the Meat Puppets.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:08 am We’re going to the new Hunger Games movie in a few hours. Will review later.
Was entertaining enough. Main chick is a Gypsy singer or or something like that. Way too much of her singing. Not enough action/violence.

Spoiler…

Was happy that the main guy…hero…singing chicks love interest…ends up being an evil fuck. Yay!!!

7/10
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Next Goal Wins. 6.5/10. A few good hearty chuckles and one completely bonkers scene where a character is introduced and immediately run over by a bus and never mentioned again. Wacky...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Leave the World Behind. New movie on Netflix

4/10

Terrible end of the world movie filled with insufferable people who deserve to die at the end. Sadly, I think they all live. :roll:

Oh, did I spoil the ending? Good!
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 am Leave the World Behind. New movie on Netflix

4/10

Terrible end of the world movie filled with insufferable people who deserve to die at the end. Sadly, I think they all live. :roll:

Just added to watch list. Thanks!
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Indy_Rob

Post by Indy_Rob »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:07 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 am Leave the World Behind. New movie on Netflix

4/10

Julia Robert's Academy Award should be revoked after this movie. She was awful in it. She's slumming it bad here. The ending completely destroyed this film. Just awful.
TravisBicklesMohawk

4/10

The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

I finally got around to watching King Richard on Netflix and it was excellent.

I highly recommend it. 8)

10/10
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I watched 2022's Babylon, starring Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie along with a giant cast of other people.

It was a seriously shitty piece of shit, like, the sexy stuff wasn't hot, the funny stuff wasn't funny and the entire thing just reeked of bad decisions from the direction to the writing to the plot to the supposed message(?). Fucking garish to look at, horribly inaccurate historically and overall a misfire on every level.

It was also liiiiike 3 fucking hours long or some shit. I'd give it 0 stars out of 5, butttt....

I found it inspirational. It was such a waste of money, resources and talented people, that after watching it, I was like: "Damn. I gotta make a movie. There is NO WAY I could fuck up this bad" :lol:

So for the inspiration, I give it half a star.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:30 pm I watched 2022's Babylon, starring Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie along with a giant cast of other people.

It was a seriously shitty piece of shit, like, the sexy stuff wasn't hot, the funny stuff wasn't funny and the entire thing just reeked of bad decisions from the direction to the writing to the plot to the supposed message(?). Fucking garish to look at, horribly inaccurate historically and overall a misfire on every level.

It was also liiiiike 3 fucking hours long or some shit. I'd give it 0 stars out of 5, butttt....

I found it inspirational. It was such a waste of money, resources and talented people, that after watching it, I was like: "Damn. I gotta make a movie. There is NO WAY I could fuck up this bad" :lol:

Yeah, my dream if I was rich and not so lazy would be to make horror movies with just the most blood and tittays that you could fit in them. And a good story too. But the kind of movies where the guy from Troma would say “isn’t that too much blood and tittays, dawg”?

Can’t see how that wouldn’t have a market, and be better than shit like your Brad Pitt movie. And be done in 80min, to not waste no one’s time”
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:44 pm
Yeah, my dream if I was rich and not so lazy would be to make horror movies with just the most blood and tittays that you could fit in them. And a good story too. But the kind of movies where the guy from Troma would say “isn’t that too much blood and tittays, dawg”?

Can’t see how that wouldn’t have a market, and be better than shit like your Brad Pitt movie. And be done in 80min, to not waste no one’s time”
Are the Terrifier movies close to this? I see a lot about them though I've not watched. My only thing is that there is a fine line between making you nauseous and being almost cartoonish in the gore. I agree that there is a ton of crap being made with major stars and big budgets.

Anyway, I haven't watched a new movie for a while. The last movies I watched were Home Alone and A Christmas Story, both for the 100th time. I watch them every season, and despite the silliness and plot holes/armor, I love them.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:44 pm Yeah, my dream if I was rich and not so lazy would be to make horror movies with just the most blood and tittays that you could fit in them. And a good story too. But the kind of movies where the guy from Troma would say “isn’t that too much blood and tittays, dawg”?
Welcome to sludge, Rob.

TravisBicklesMohawk

Sleek wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:30 pm I watched 2022's Babylon, starring Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie along with a giant cast of other people.

I love classic Hollywood sleaze movies like L.A. Confidential, so I will definitely check this out.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

ugh
Last edited by Sleek on Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Soooo, over the weekend, I watched BARBIE, because it finally popped up free on Max or something.

It is...fine. Good, even. Maybe even darned good.

They really hammer the point of the movie a LOT (Barbie has a complicated legacy and the patriarchy is bad) but do it in a charming and self-aware enough way that it doesn't elicit the eye-roll that most movies that overdo it with a message will get.

The whole cast is good...and some of the casting was brilliant, like casting Emma Mackey, who is a virtual Robbie look-alike as another Barbie. (There were 3 actors total from Sex Education...Greta Gerwig must have fucking loved that show or something).

The only thing is, like, it was fine and a lot of fun and all, but I don't really see the "BEST MOVIE EVER WOO!" shit. I kind of feel like that comes from people who are so basic that they never really thought about any of the themes dealt with in this movie...like guys who never realized that being a woman is hard, or women who never really thought about Barbie's whole thing.

I'd give it like a 7 out of 10.

Then on a different night I watched 1965's Our Man Flint. Now THERE is a fucking movie :lol:

Strangely enough, it deals with some of the same themes as Barbie, namely man's unapologetic exploitation of women via institutionalized patriarchal thinking and ideation, but just lets you figure it out yourself.

It is also stylish, fun, has a healthy undercurrent of absurdism and amazing soundtrack work courtesy of the great Jerry Goldsmith.

I give it, liiiike, an 8/10. Maybe a 9 because I just sort of love it, even though I know it probably is not worthy.

Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:31 am

I love classic Hollywood sleaze movies like L.A. Confidential, so I will definitely check this out.
Babylon is the definition of a "Vanity Project", and IMO not comparable to LA Confidential.
If you liked LA Confidential, I would check out Chinatown (1974), or Mulholland Falls (1996).
TravisBicklesMohawk

Wild Obsession wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:00 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:31 am

Babylon is the definition of a "Vanity Project", and IMO not comparable to LA Confidential.
If you liked LA Confidential, I would check out Chinatown (1974), or Mulholland Falls (1996).
Ok thanks, I kinda see what you mean there.
And I've seen both of those films and they are excellent too.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Gérard Depardieu touches Robert De Niro's dick.

Watched the 5 hour 17 min version.

Otherwise still processing (not that part) as opposed to completely forgetting I watched it.

Could have done without the cat scene. Closed my eyes.
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

I saw it twice this year, once on TV (Netflix I guess), the 2nd on a long flight. On the return flight the guy in front of me was watching it so I half-saw it again. I enjoyed pretty much everything except the dumb snake scene, but esp. the looooong tracking shot at the party and playing "guess the Hollywood Babylon reference". It didn't drag at all for me.

Plus if you're looking for historic accuracy in ANY Hollywood film, you're wasting your time. Llamas in Troy, most WW2 movie that edit out any real-life non-US contributions to the subject, "this film is inspired by true events (= we made it all up)" etc.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

GoodJudge wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:50 am

I saw it twice this year, once on TV (Netflix I guess), the 2nd on a long flight. On the return flight the guy in front of me was watching it so I half-saw it again. I enjoyed pretty much everything except the dumb snake scene, but esp. the looooong tracking shot at the party and playing "guess the Hollywood Babylon reference". It didn't drag at all for me.

Plus if you're looking for historic accuracy in ANY Hollywood film, you're wasting your time. Llamas in Troy, most WW2 movie that edit out any real-life non-US contributions to the subject, "this film is inspired by true events (= we made it all up)" etc.
Cocaine Bear too?
ImageImage
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:56 am

4/10

Watching it now!!!
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:01 pm
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:56 am

Watching it now!!!
Saw it. Pretty good. Acting was fine. Loved the ending. 7/10.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

John Wick Chapter 4. 2/10

Huge Wick and Keanu fan, but this movie was torture. I had to split it between two nights to get through it. Plot was in the background. Fighting was the foreground in a bad way. Too long and tedious. Where the fights in the previous three movies was mostly artful choreography, these where like “less agile John Wick dispatching the Putties from Power Rangers.” All goons that were easy kills. Now imagine each of these fights droning on for 15-20 minutes. Some trivia was making it out to be a good thing that Keanu had less than 300 words of dialogue. That meant less talk, more prolonged action.
TravisBicklesMohawk

The Lighthouse - 5/10. No words for this mess of a movie. So much potential; the acting is stellar, but completely wasted. Yuck.

Invasion of the Bee Girls. 9/10 This one got it right. A bunch of hot chicks who kill men through sex . . . winner! Deducted one point because of a nasty gang-rape scene, so be warned.

Both free on Tubi. 8)
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

The Equalizer 3 - 1 out of 10.

I loved the previous two movies in the series. I love the OCD methods of Robert McCall and watching him mentally calculate how it's all going to go down. This movie had none of that. There were a few very small fight scenes, but nothing to the caliber of the previous two movies. Denzel is close to 70, so don't make an action movie if you can't do the action. Or maybe it was the horrible writing. 80% of the movie was in Italian (even Denzel's lines), which was annoying. I thought it would be a fun 1:50, but it was not. It was hard to stay awake.
TravisBicklesMohawk

Godzilla Minus One - Minus Color 10/10

The color version is amazing, but the black and white version makes the dread and doom of this film 10 times more effective.
The black rain scene is a great example. Not to mention that Godzilla looks utterly terrifying devoid of color.

Go see it now as it will be gone in a few more days. 8)
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I finally got around to watching Oppenheimer last night: 9/10 with a qualifier. Nolan is a cinematic genius, and the cast was top-tier acting. I like anything with Cillian Murphy, and Robert Downey Jr. was excellent.

My only complaint is if you've read American Prometheus or have seen a good RJO documentary, you know what this man did and went through. Nolan and the cast still did a wonderful job creating tension and angst with a well-documented history.