Ever dated someone that wasn't quite up to your level?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Ever dated someone that wasn't quite up to your level?

Post by SchenkerFan »

Intellectually, that is.

I've done it a few times. Fooled myself thinking it wouldn't bother me that much. Thinking that other qualities would compensate for it. Whether it was looks or just being a really nice person, in the end I always felt like something was lacking.

It starts out small, me having to explain things that I consider pretty obvious. Initially I shrug it off but after a while it gets tiring until it reaches a point where I think it's best to throw in the towel. If I'm talking about something and it's obvious from their response they've totally missed the point, that's a pretty big turnoff.

So what about you people? What made you decide to end it? Any nasty break-ups? Embarrassing situations?
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Ever dated someone that wasn't quite up to your level?

Post by Mojo »

I don't want to say "up to" my level, as that implies my being smarter/better/more intelligent. I'll definitely say not "at" my level, though.

I went out with a girl who, upon hearing a quip I made and having me explain that it was a joke, said "oh. I don't really get jokes." The fuck? You can say a joke isn't funny, but to just generally not be into humor? Fuck out of here with that.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

My wife. It's more about what she finds funny vs. my sense of humor or what she wasn't exposed to in pop culture growing up. Not a week goes by that we are talking about music, movies, tv, the 70s, and 80s, and I'll go, "Remember this" or "Did you see that". Nope. They weren't a big TV or music household growing up. I often tell her she has no funny bone. And she ALWAYS ALWAYS thinks an actor on some show is the same as another show. It never is, though they might look somewhat similar.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:45 am My wife. It's more about what she finds funny vs. my sense of humor or what she wasn't exposed to in pop culture growing up. Not a week goes by that we are talking about music, movies, tv, the 70s, and 80s, and I'll go, "Remember this" or "Did you see that". Nope. They weren't a big TV or music household growing up. I often tell her she has no funny bone. And she ALWAYS ALWAYS thinks an actor on some show is the same as another show. It never is, though they might look somewhat similar.
Similar. I have to explain jokes at times. Not sure that she isn't able to get them...she just doesn't like the same type of humor that I like.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

SchenkerFan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:53 am Intellectually, that is.

I've done it a few times. Fooled myself thinking it wouldn't bother me that much. Thinking that other qualities would compensate for it. Whether it was looks or just being a really nice person, in the end I always felt like something was lacking.
Fooled myself is the right word. Looking back I always noticed things like this early on. In a couple of cases even got back together with someone I dumped thinking I overreacted. I didn't.

This also applies to some that weren't lacking intellectually but had other issues.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Most guys have dated someone they didn't like on a personal level to get some action.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

BDG135 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:18 am Most guys have dated someone they didn't like on a personal level to get some action.
Wonder if Helluvaguy has.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

My ex wife was pretty much a crazy, dumb bitch.
Only took me 10 yrs to figure it out.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I only date out of my league. Every man should have this rule.

I dated one woman who was dumber than shit and she ended up almost breaking my nose by throwing a full can of beer at my face.

I dated one chick 6 or 7 years ago who was way younger than me (I think she was 22-23 and I was somewhere in my mid-to-late 30's) who I thought was kinda dumb because she smoked a lot of weed but it turns out she was just dumb.

I also know a ton of people who smoke weed and are genius-level smart so my prejudice there was shameful.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:50 pm I thought she was kinda dumb because she smoked a lot of weed but it turns out she was just dumb.

That’s hilarious.
I bet the sex was good tho?
Goddamn Electric
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Goddamn Electric »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:53 pm My ex wife was pretty much a crazy, dumb bitch.
She'd have to be a pretty dumb bitch to marry your fat ass, you fucking mong!

Now go swan dive into a vat of ice cream, Tubby McLardass.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:43 pmThat’s hilarious.
I bet the sex was good tho?
You would think, right? It was just okay.

And you'd think a young woman would make me feel young again, right? Nope. I felt twice as old.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

My high school boyfriend was suuuper dumb. Absolutely incapable of thinking ahead. He'd say and do the most embarrassing shit. Always trying to be the life of the party and making an ass out of himself. Worshipped me but I knew it was because he just didn't know better. i still got fed up and didn't treat him great. Cute, so he didn't have trouble getting girls. Keeping them though...

Then the guy I dumped him for was the exact opposite and thought he was a fucking genius. That got old too.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:06 am Cute, so he didn't have trouble getting girls. Keeping them though...
Replace "girls" with "guys" and you have my gf from 1990.

She also has trouble keeping jobs.

But she can brag that David Coverdale hit on her once and she turned him down. Probably the high point in her life.
drops_of_jupiter
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by drops_of_jupiter »

Used to sleep with a guy who, amongst other things, used to say ‘Pacific’ rather than ‘specific’.
I also couldn’t quote Spinal Tap/The Office around him, as it’d just go over his head.
He didn’t last long (literally).
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

drops_of_jupiter wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:12 pm Used to sleep with a guy who, amongst other things, used to say ‘Pacific’ rather than ‘specific’.
I also couldn’t quote Spinal Tap/The Office around him, as it’d just go over his head.
Sorry he was a moron and couldn't satisfy you.

What's your number? DM me.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:38 pm
drops_of_jupiter wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:12 pm Used to sleep with a guy who, amongst other things, used to say ‘Pacific’ rather than ‘specific’.

:lol:
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:38 pm

You should take her to see the Specific ocean.
ImageImage
Olivia Sophia
Recording Your Demo

Post by Olivia Sophia »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:52 am
Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:06 am Cute, so he didn't have trouble getting girls. Keeping them though...
Replace "girls" with "guys" and you have my gf from 1990.

She also has trouble keeping jobs.

But she can brag that David Coverdale hit on her once and she turned him down. Probably the high point in her life.
lol
Olivia Sophia
Recording Your Demo

Post by Olivia Sophia »

Looking back, in high school, I wasn't cool.

I wasn't up to their level
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Olivia Sophia wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:37 pm Looking back, in high school, I wasn't cool.

I wasn't up to their level
Did you already have the dangling hemorrhoid?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

It starts out small, me having to explain things that I consider pretty obvious. Initially I shrug it off but after a while it gets tiring until it reaches a point where I think it's best to throw in the towel. If I'm talking about something and it's obvious from their response they've totally missed the point, that's a pretty big turnoff.

So what about you people? What made you decide to end it? Any nasty break-ups? Embarrassing situations?
Wouldn't say it was "dating" with your mum, exactly...
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

MurrayFiend wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:21 pm

Wouldn't say it was "dating" with your mum, exactly...
Long time no see. Good to see you didn’t go and do something stupid like getting yourself killed. Don’t just run away anymore. This place comes first.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

Howdy, sir. :D
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Never
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:33 pmNever
That should hardly surprise anyone, the bar isn't too high in your case.