People from NYC, any help with this?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Ale
Picking a Band Name

People from NYC, any help with this?

Post by Ale »

Hi all! I'm Alejandro, I'm from Buenos Aires and first of all I want to thank you for reading and maybe helping.

I'll be in NYC from the 1st (or 31st of August actually but it's the same) to the 6th and I'm looking for a place to stay that it's not sooo expensive (if you don't know, Argentina is a difficult "poor" country with a recession and inflation through the roof (and in the verge of a new goverment, so everything is messy round here).
My salary each month is 350 dollars, as sad as it sounds ha!.
But anyway I'm not complaining, I'll be travelling for work to the US -not to NYC, first ill be in Virginia- and I'd like to be a week in NYC to catch shows (I'll see Springsteen, Ann Wilson and Cheap Trick with Rod Stewart if everything goes fine) and I don't want to spend 150 dollars a night at the hotel. I just need a place for 6 days to put my bags and sleep cause I'll be sightseening and going from place to place every day, and it's just me.

Any ideas, any contacts, any tips for a third world fellow fan? I'm reliable, I pay in cash (that's one of the most important things, in Argentina we have different types of "dollars" and it is MUCH BETTER to use cash in other countries cause if not is almost double what you have to pay because of "foreing coin taxes" and many hotels just take credit cards, not good for me not good.
Any place, any recommendation is much aprreciated.

Al
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: People from NYC, any help with this?

Post by Mister Freeze »

Do you think Use Your Illusion would be better as a single album, and if so, which songs would you pick?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

What hotel in NYC is only $150? Costs more to eat lunch there.

Don't visit NYC until your financial situation improves greatly.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Check out the South Bronx.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

You might go out for a swim in the East River. I know a guy who used to do that, though he was an odd, goofy-haired fellow.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Don't forget to go jogging in Central Park alone . . . and at night. 8)

Meanwhile, NY has loads of hostels that might very well help with your financial situation.

Regardless, you'll have a blast!
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

You’re simply too poor for this trip. Sad…but true.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

C'mon guys it's Al Basta! Show some respect...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

If you're willing to give BJs, you could earn some extra money and maybe even a room for the night.
ImageImage
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Is Kerry King out of town then? Maybe you could stay at his place.
Besides Rod your concerts are complete garbage
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Go to kayak.com. Put in the city, date and sort by price from low to high. Lot of "rooms" available in private homes and apartments. You're on your own after that!

If you make it back alive, post your trip report here! Best of luck. Safe travels!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

I love you guys. I truly do.
Ive been to NYC four times and I'm in the US once a year since 2017 (more or less no in covid times) so I know the drill. But to Nyc I have always been with my (now) ex girlfriend.
This is my first time alone there and I have 6 days extra. Would you rather me staying in Jersey?

And, I will have with me more than 5,000 cash (dont tell nyc robbers) dont you think I can handle a week?
Of course its not a cheap city but you have Hotels for 100 a night. I just wanted to pay less cause I m a cheap bastard when Im on my own.

And Laglam here's a piece of advice for you. Ill see Train the band and let me tell you, that band has better girls than any country show
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

You should sleep on the Train
Just cover up in newspapers like the other bums
U can’t plan a vacation 8) :lol: :lol:
If you see Jimmy Uso around don’t trust him
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:31 pm What hotel in NYC is only $150? Costs more to eat lunch there.

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:22 pm You’re simply too poor for this trip. Sad…but true.
I agree with both of those, until you said...
Ale wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:04 pm And, I will have with me more than 5,000 cash (dont tell nyc robbers) dont you think I can handle a week?
Of course its not a cheap city but you have Hotels for 100 a night. I just wanted to pay less cause I m a cheap bastard when Im on my own.
New York is not really a cheap bastard city. What are your thoughts on Piedmont, South Dakota? Perhaps Las Vegas, New Mexico?

You still will have a tough time finding a (GOOD) hotel that will let you pay in cash. The only ones that usually let you do that are places you don't want to stay. Do you have a debit or credit card? You could look into getting a prepaid card, but many (good) hotels require your CC to match your ID.

If you can't find a hotel, how tall are you? Have you considered a cardboard box? They've really come a long way since the days of In Living Color!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOyFHYwbgw
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

You should definitely COME TO AMERICA(like the movie)#1 destination city with 5000$ cash and looking for cheap hotels :lol:

You should definitely stay in strangers extra room-
That’s safe nice plan :lol:

Taz in Brooklyn still? Maybe rent his room? Pretty sure Hook is in Orlando now
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

Nate S Axel wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:36 pm
Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:31 pm What hotel in NYC is only $150? Costs more to eat lunch there.

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:22 pm You’re simply too poor for this trip. Sad…but true.
I agree with both of those, until you said...
Ale wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:04 pm And, I will have with me more than 5,000 cash (dont tell nyc robbers) dont you think I can handle a week?
New York is not really a cheap bastard city. What are your thoughts on Piedmont, South Dakota? Perhaps Las Vegas, New Mexico?

You still will have a tough time finding a (GOOD) hotel that will let you pay in cash. The only ones that usually let you do that are places you don't want to stay. Do you have a debit or credit card? You could look into getting a prepaid card, but many (good) hotels require your CC to match your ID.

If you can't find a hotel, how tall are you? Have you considered a cardboard box? They've really come a long way since the days of In Living Color!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOyFHYwbgw

I have 4 credit cards and 3 debit cards (everything is cards in Argentina, cause thats the only way of getting by in a country with 100 per cent inflation a year) but thats the main thing, nowadays one dollar= 560 argentinian pesos
One dollar spent with credit card= 670 argentinian pesos or even more
(They run a little Kind of communist country here and dont want the dollars the state dont even have to go away so thats why people are "punished" with different types of change)
Money is not a problem for me, but spending 2,000 dollars or 1,200 doing the same thing, ID much rather save 800... cmon Sludge step up!

Anyway, any real idea about 6 days in ny or near ny paying in cash, not getting stabbed and not in the bronx?
I love this thread
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

Also, it is New York cause the company pay for the trip there back and forth and Ill (again) be on the "upper" east coast.
What am I going to do, pay for a Vegas plane ticket and then to NY again in time for my return?
Springsteen is not playing in Vegas in September. Duh
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:04 am Go to kayak.com. Put in the city, date and sort by price from low to high. Lot of "rooms" available in private homes and apartments. You're on your own after that!

If you make it back alive, post your trip report here! Best of luck. Safe travels!
Thanks! Kayak is like airnbn?
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

MotleyKaos wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:58 pm You might go out for a swim in the East River. I know a guy who used to do that, though he was an odd, goofy-haired fellow.
Dr. Van Nostrand?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Tell you what. I'll send you my address to send me the 5K cash and I'll send you my credit card info? CC card has a 5K balance on it. Deal?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

cowpins wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:28 am Tell you what. I'll send you my address to send me the 5K cash and I'll send you my credit card info? CC card has a 5K balance on it. Deal?
Yes!! I'd love that. Finally someone helping me.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

cowpins wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:23 am
MotleyKaos wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:58 pm You might go out for a swim in the East River. I know a guy who used to do that, though he was an odd, goofy-haired fellow.
Dr. Van Nostrand?
You know, he is raising chickens now. I mean, he only has a coop at the moment, but with that newly hired intern's help, he'll get that chicken!
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

Well it looks that I'll be stayin in a $110 dollars a night hotel. Damn.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

MotleyKaos wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:16 am
cowpins wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:23 am
Dr. Van Nostrand?
You know, he is raising chickens now. I mean, he only has a coop at the moment, but with that newly hired intern's help, he'll get that chicken!
But isn't the intern busy with the big ball of oil?!?!
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Ale wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 am Well it looks that I'll be stayin in a $110 dollars a night hotel. Damn.
I’m afraid to ask…

In NYC? That sounds like an airport hotel rate. You are saving on hotel but Uber rides will get you.

Be careful and travel safe even though I’m pretty sure you’re a bot.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Ale
Picking a Band Name

Post by Ale »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:42 pm
Ale wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:28 am Well it looks that I'll be stayin in a $110 dollars a night hotel. Damn.
I’m afraid to ask…

In NYC? That sounds like an airport hotel rate. You are saving on hotel but Uber rides will get you.

Be careful and travel safe even though I’m pretty sure you’re a bot.
Honestly dont know whats a bot.
And maybe its cheaper for me cause the dollar / peso rate so far off thats why I found it crazy when you say that booking a hotel in NYC was 200 dollars up... there were many options for less than 150 for me.
Ive stayed in NYC in 2017 2019 and 2023 and never paid more than 120 a night. In front of the Central Park West almost Harlem. Nice neighborhood in fact.
GaulPilbert
Opening for Slaughter

Post by GaulPilbert »

There are plenty of "pod" hotels and others in NYC (some even in midtown) that can be had for under $150 a night...