LinkedIn - anyone use it?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

LinkedIn - anyone use it?

Post by TooOldToCare »

In my early career era, I used LI occasionally to reach out to my network for job prospects or staffing needs. In the last 3-5 years, it has become nothing but another venue for people to "demonstrate" how insightful and influential they are about leadership, how much they love their careers 🤮, argue remote vs. in the office, self-congratulate on a new job or a meet-up, etc. It's sickening. If you love your job, that's great. Do you need to jerk off in front of the corporate world about it? Yes, I could avoid the site like other socials, but sometimes it comes in handy. Now, it's Facebook-lite, political, and full of hustle-culture idiots. Do people get off on working so much? I'm half-tempted to comment honestly about corporate culture, but I need to hang in there for at least 4-5 more years. I don't want to start over at my age.
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: LinkedIn - anyone use it?

Post by Charles Bukaki »

I recently moved and had been looking for a job for the last couple months. I did the rounds on Indeed, Monster and Ziprecruiter but put off Linkedin at first because I really didn't want to deal with the social aspect of it and end up being linked to a bunch of coworkers I never really liked in the first place. After a few weeks I bit the bullet and created an account but before I could start perusing the site, I got an offer so bullet dodged.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:20 am I recently moved and had been looking for a job for the last couple months. I did the rounds on Indeed, Monster and Ziprecruiter but put off Linkedin at first because I really didn't want to deal with the social aspect of it and end up being linked to a bunch of coworkers I never really liked in the first place. After a few weeks I bit the bullet and created an account but before I could start perusing the site, I got an offer so bullet dodged.
Nice. Congrats. It has become a weird place, not unlike all other social media sites. I'm jaded and tired of working (35 years with a few to go). Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but the hustle culture excitement seems to be off the scale everywhere nowadays.
EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Had a spam email last week, something along the lines of 'Let us optimize your LinkedIn profile for untold connections and success!'

Wrote him back 'I didn't even know people still used LinkedIn. So no, I won't need your help. And before you ask, I also won't need help with MySpace, Hotmail, or Yelp.'

I had to build a profile there for a client recently, so of course I know it's being used. The question is why though. It's just endless spam from the company themselves, trying to talk people out of their money. Useless.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I got my most recent job on LI. Wrote the hiring manager and had an interview in a few days.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

cowpins wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:38 pm I got my most recent job on LI. Wrote the hiring manager and had an interview in a few days.
Congrats to you, too. It isn't a total wasteland, which makes it useful in a niche way. But the amount of personal bullshit and chafe you need to sift through unless you go straight to the JOBS tab is overwhelming. When someone is laid off but drones on about what an honor it was to learn so much from such great people...JFC. In my mind, playing on repeat is the "I Quit" scene from the movie Half-Baked. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. You're Cool. Fuck you. I Quit. I'd be retired at 56 if someone sat me down at 21 and explained 401Ks and other investments to me. Instead, I bite my tongue and hope I don't die in the next 4 years.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Oh, I agree. I rarely login, and it seems that when I do all I see is previous interns or peeps with way less knowledge and experience acting all high and mighty.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

My current position is due to LI. But, yes. It's turned into a typical social media site.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Not at all. Get the odd connect request now and again but otherwise never look at it...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

cowpins wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:38 pm I got my most recent job on LI. Wrote the hiring manager and had an interview in a few days.
Best way to use it -- especially being introduced to a mutual connection you have in common with somebody. Some companies advertise internally for prospective candidates -- so "who you know" makes a huge difference.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I use it to send dick pics.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:13 pm I use it to send dick pics.
You never know what a recruiter is looking for! Did you hear back?
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:17 pm

She had an opening. I had a stiff proposition. We finalized a merger.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

No, I don't need it. I've been in my company over 20 years and been promoted a few times.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:00 pm
Nate S Axel wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:17 pm

She had an opening. I had a stiff proposition. We finalized a merger.
A page from the book of Simmons.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:02 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:00 pm She had an opening. I had a stiff proposition. We finalized a merger.

It's a language Sludge understands.

Language is a big word. Like gymnasium.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:28 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:02 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:00 pm She had an opening. I had a stiff proposition. We finalized a merger.

It's a language Sludge understands.

Language is a big word. Like gymnasium.
Or cunnilingus.