Day In The Life of a Working Musician

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeilC
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Day In The Life of a Working Musician

Post by NeilC »

Hi, I play no instruments( except master of skin flute), but I was wondering..what exactly is a typical day for a musician like? Can someone tell me? Good, bad. ugly? Like is it get on bus, drive 5 hours to next gig, sound check, play, hang out with fans for 2 hours? Bus call? Is it fun? Tiring? I am looking for any and all types from the "big" bands, to weekend warriors, to fly-in dates. Do you still get groupies or are you happily Married, etc.? Does anyone use drugs anymore or is that over and done with due to needing to be in shape for your lifestyle/profession ( all kidding aside)? Also, maybe as we age, we "slow it down" a bit especially if you have kids, etc. Thank you. I would love to hear all about it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Day In The Life of a Working Musician

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

YES!!
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Yesterday
Walking on beach toward breakfast cafe
Got call go to Bakersfield watch punk rock gig in basement of pizza joint
Had breakfast- walked to gym- listened to The Throbs
Gym filled with MILFS and hot girl college ass in my spin class
Watched Night 1 Wrestlemania 39 on my phone in beach chair
Went to Costco looked at winter clothes got chocolate sundae
Drove to Bakersfield around 8pm for 9:30 watching gig
After no groupies- rather have stripper (female) ass

Today pretty much same thing in different city for Slaughter

2nights ago- drove to dive bar in San Diego- same days(no Costco)

I recommend being watch musician..being in real band not worth the hype or life. I would rather listen to Danger Danger and Steelheart singers-not tour with them billion miles away
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

NeilC wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 am Hi, I play no instruments( except master of skin flute), but I was wondering..what exactly is a typical day for a musician like? Can someone tell me? Good, bad. ugly? Like is it get on bus, drive 5 hours to next gig, sound check, play, hang out with fans for 2 hours? Bus call? Is it fun? Tiring? I am looking for any and all types from the "big" bands, to weekend warriors, to fly-in dates. Do you still get groupies or are you happily Married, etc.? Does anyone use drugs anymore or is that over and done with due to needing to be in shape for your lifestyle/profession ( all kidding aside)? Also, maybe as we age, we "slow it down" a bit especially if you have kids, etc. Thank you. I would love to hear all about it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.
Are you "writing" an article? That's awesome! That's great that you're finally earning a living at 51 years of age, even if it's just a couple cents per word.

There are no "big" bands here, unless you mean fat people? Quite a few of those around here. Just check out BernieTaupson's thread with those KISS meet-and-greet losers.

You should interview the CEO! Or save yourself the time and read the Tuff Diaries! All you need is thousands of people to read your article and you might be able to afford some groceries.

Good luck!
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Having Babylon AD luxury life everyday is awesome
Going see my comedy hero in a few nights in Hollywood..Dice Clay not worried no little brats..got few bucks for groceries. No need for food just get meals prepared fresh cafeteria style..can have Thanksgiving feast whenever
My Peg Bundy never ages..just different name at Nudie Bars

I love reading about people’s regrets in life.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

NeilC wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 am Hi, I play no instruments( except master of skin flute)
Uuuuuhhhh....okay.

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I was not in a famous band, but did tour the east coast for several years.
Most of it was a blast.
Unfortunately, band members did all load ins/outs. No roadies, except FOH guy and light man.
That sucked.
Overall, a great experience.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

How did you deal with the hangovers? Assuming partying was an option.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 pm I was not in a famous band, but did tour the east coast for several years.
Most of it was a blast.
Unfortunately, band members did all load ins/outs. No roadies, except FOH guy and light man.
That sucked.
Is this the first draft?
NeilC wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 am I would love to hear all about it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.
Neil needs ALL the details. Come on, help him out!
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:17 pm I was not in a famous band, but did tour the east coast for several years.
Most of it was a blast.
That sucked.
Good read. Brevity appreciated...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinnieVincentsVag

cowpins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:27 pm How did you deal with the hangovers? Assuming partying was an option.
Hair of the dog.

Not an option? More like encouraged.
When I finally quit touring, I was bloated and pasty.
Not a good look.
VinnieVincentsVag

Nate S Axel wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:32 pm
Most of it was a blast.
That sucked.
Is this the first draft?
NeilC wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 am I would love to hear all about it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.
Neil needs ALL the details. Come on, help him out!
Well….if I had it to do over again, I’d be more like our singer.
Guy would go to bed right after gig, 2:30-3:00 am and get up around 10.
He’d go jogging and then take city bus to whatever cool thing was near the town we were playing.

The rest of us stayed up until daylight partying and banging chicks and then sleep until 5:00-6:00pm and then do it all again the following night.
Not a healthy lifestyle at all.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

NeilC wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 am Hi, I play no instruments( except master of skin flute), but I was wondering..what exactly is a typical day for a musician like? Can someone tell me? Good, bad. ugly? Like is it get on bus, drive 5 hours to next gig, sound check, play, hang out with fans for 2 hours? Bus call? Is it fun? Tiring? I am looking for any and all types from the "big" bands, to weekend warriors, to fly-in dates. Do you still get groupies or are you happily Married, etc.? Does anyone use drugs anymore or is that over and done with due to needing to be in shape for your lifestyle/profession ( all kidding aside)? Also, maybe as we age, we "slow it down" a bit especially if you have kids, etc. Thank you. I would love to hear all about it from when you wake up, to when you go to sleep.
The shows usually started around seven, we went on stage at nine, then got on the bus about eleven, sipping a drink and feeling fine. What else do you need to know?
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:52 pm
cowpins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:27 pm How did you deal with the hangovers? Assuming partying was an option.
Hair of the dog.

Not a good look.
Back before cell phones, how often would a band member go MIA only to show up right at showtime looking like ass, or not show up at all?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

GoodJudge wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:49 am
The shows usually started around seven, we went on stage at nine, then got on the bus about eleven, sipping a drink and feeling fine. What else do you need to know?
Who were you dancing with?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_3rdtimediary1.html
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
VinnieVincentsVag

cowpins wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:50 am
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:52 pm
Hair of the dog.

Not a good look.
Back before cell phones, how often would a band member go MIA only to show up right at showtime looking like ass, or not show up at all?
Never had that happen, actually
Would’ve been nice to have the navigation apps back then.
Even Mapquest
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

From what I've heard from many musicians the work is the traveling. Performing is the fun part.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Kinks - Traveling With My Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNs_RUFDt6A

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.