The Mandela Effect, any believers? Skeptics?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

The Mandela Effect, any believers? Skeptics?

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Anyone believe it's a real thing? Any theories or personal experiences? I find the idea pretty intriguing but I'm a skeptic and just can't buy into it. I've experienced enough situations over the years where my memory conflicts with someone else who experienced the exact thing at the same time that hard for me to believe there's some major change in something that can't be written off as faulty recall. Concerts are a good example. There's a certain amount of sameness with the live music experience that over time it can be hard to differentiate memories from one show to another, especially if it's a band you've seen or a venue you've been to multiple times.
Last edited by Charles Bukaki on Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: The Mandela Effect, any believers?

Post by HoldenSSV »

I don't. Most of the examples they always list are just people being stupid, not paying attention, or having a faulty memory.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:17 am I don't. Most of the examples they always list are just people being stupid, not paying attention, or having a faulty memory.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/18/world/ma ... index.html
“The Mandela Effect is a really fascinating memory phenomenon where everyone seems to show incorrect memories for common popular icons,” said neuroscientist Wilma Bainbridge, an assistant professor in the University of Chicago’s department of psychology.
ImageImage
HoldenSSV

Post by HoldenSSV »

Danzig in the Dark wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:08 pm
HoldenSSV wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:17 am I don't. Most of the examples they always list are just people being stupid, not paying attention, or having a faulty memory.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/18/world/ma ... index.html
“The Mandela Effect is a really fascinating memory phenomenon where everyone seems to show incorrect memories for common popular icons,” said neuroscientist Wilma Bainbridge, an assistant professor in the University of Chicago’s department of psychology.
Even the name is retarded. When Mandela was finally released, it was world news for a week. Then he got divorced from Winnie, and that made news too.

If you ever thought Jif peanut butter was called Jiffy, you're a fucking moron. Period.

I blame Tommy Boy for the Empire Strikes Back quote.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: The Mandela Effect, any believers? Skeptics?

Post by TooOldToCare »

It’s a stupid topic that has become another “conspiracy.” People remember shit differently all the time, but when it’s a BIG event or BIG news, then it becomes “paranormal.” Another example of how stupid humans are.
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

No, I am Your Father.
https://youtu.be/mwtaM0GC-js?feature=shared

Luke, I am your father.
https://youtu.be/_nSvn54WCxY?feature=shared

Both exist.
HoldenSSV

Post by HoldenSSV »

VincentVanWinger wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm No, I am Your Father.
https://youtu.be/mwtaM0GC-js?feature=shared

Luke, I am your father.
https://youtu.be/_nSvn54WCxY?feature=shared

Both exist.
The second one is altered, despite the title of the video.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Nobody ever remembers anything perfectly...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

The "Luke, I am your Father" provides context, so it makes sense people would say it like that. "No, I am your father" wouldnt tie it to star wars for all but the most die hard. "Similar to "Beam me up, Scotty". Scotty provides context.

As far as people who swear Mandela died in the 80s, even though he was a world leader after that? Either they're morons or they are thinking of Steve Biko, probably cause of the Peter Gabriel song, which is more odd, as he says "Biko" all the time in the song. Actually, prolly cause Denzel portrayed him in a movie in the 80s, now that I think about it.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
500DaysofNight
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by 500DaysofNight »

The Cable Guy is 100% responsible for "Hello Clarise" being a thing and here's my reasosing why. It was shown all the time on TBS, TNT and the like to the point I'm dead certain people have seen it way more than The Silence of the Lambs.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Before I go to bed each night I say out loud good night john boy.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 am Nobody ever remembers anything perfectly...
QED
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BritniTaiste
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BritniTaiste »

The one that bothers me is the Moonraker/Dolly braces thing. I saw that in the drive in as a kid and many times after on HBO etc. The reason Jaws doesn’t hurt her is the braces give them a common ground and the scene doesn’t make as much sense without her having braces.
High Octane Glam/Sleaze Rock n' Roll
http://www.myspace.com/bangcircus
kingrolfus

Post by kingrolfus »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:40 pm It’s a stupid topic that has become another “conspiracy.” People remember shit differently all the time, but when it’s a BIG event or BIG news, then it becomes “paranormal.” Another example of how stupid humans are.
Never seen anyone claim it's paranormal.
Rocker4Real
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by Rocker4Real »

It happens. Memories get jumbled over time. I remember certain events being in one childhood home. Then I look up the date and realize it wasn't possible because that wasn't where we lived at the time.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

kingrolfus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:15 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:40 pm It’s a stupid topic that has become another “conspiracy.” People remember shit differently all the time, but when it’s a BIG event or BIG news, then it becomes “paranormal.” Another example of how stupid humans are.
Never seen anyone claim it's paranormal.
The term *Mandela Effect* was created by a paranormal researcher. Paranormal simply means "not explainable by scientific understanding," though most think it's synonymous with ghosts and goblins.
Don't Damn Me
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Don't Damn Me »

BritniTaiste wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:16 am The one that bothers me is the Moonraker/Dolly braces thing. I saw that in the drive in as a kid and many times after on HBO etc. The reason Jaws doesn’t hurt her is the braces give them a common ground and the scene doesn’t make as much sense without her having braces.
This one strikes me as a true phenomenon. Just recently I was talking about it and I explained the Moonraker scenario. Jaws crashlands to the ground and a cute young girl approaches him. He shows his silver teeth, then she smiles revealing braces. It's a cute unexpected moment, getting the biggest laugh of the movie when it was in theaters.
And sure enough the person I was talking to said "you mean she DIDN'T have braces?!

I haven't even heard of the Mandela effect when I got the Moonraker dvd. That's one of the most memorable moments of the film and when it didn't happen it sent me exploring different versions of the film and deleted scenes Etc.
That's when I discovered that allegedly this its a massive shared delusion.
My only explanation would be that the way that scene plays out the human psyche expects the girl to have braces because it's the obvious laugh.
Who knows but this one is real enough
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Don't Damn Me wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:13 pm
BritniTaiste wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:16 am The one that bothers me is the Moonraker/Dolly braces thing. I saw that in the drive in as a kid and many times after on HBO etc. The reason Jaws doesn’t hurt her is the braces give them a common ground and the scene doesn’t make as much sense without her having braces.
This one strikes me as a true phenomenon. Just recently I was talking about it and I explained the Moonraker scenario. Jaws crashlands to the ground and a cute young girl approaches him. He shows his silver teeth, then she smiles revealing braces. It's a cute unexpected moment, getting the biggest laugh of the movie when it was in theaters.
And sure enough the person I was talking to said "you mean she DIDN'T have braces?!

I haven't even heard of the Mandela effect when I got the Moonraker dvd. That's one of the most memorable moments of the film and when it didn't happen it sent me exploring different versions of the film and deleted scenes Etc.
That's when I discovered that allegedly this its a massive shared delusion.
My only explanation would be that the way that scene plays out the human psyche expects the girl to have braces because it's the obvious laugh.
Who knows but this one is real enough
I haven't seen the movie in a couple of decades, and I would have said she had braces. I still play the scene in my mind, and they're there. Kind of strange-cool how the brain works.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

The more I think about the namesake, the more I'm convinced that people kind of know that Denzel played a South African dissident who got killed, but didnt see the movie, so they're pretty sure it's Mandela. And Morgan Freeman was the school teacher with the baseball bat.

And that's pretty much the only reason.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?