E-Bikes

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

E-Bikes

Post by Blumpkin King »

I am getting over a pretty serious injury. I tore my hamstring from the bone. After reattachment and reconstruction surgery I am looking to finally get back outside and away from my bedroom. My doctor suggested an e-bike as I can use the pedal assist to work the hamstring and if I get tired or too far from home I can use throttle only. Does anyone here drive one and how do you like it? How much? I am looking for the 1K to 1.2K range. Looking at folding bikes, but can probably be convinced otherwise.
Thanks,
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: E-Bikes

Post by EzyRider »

Don't get a folding bike, those things are dangerous (and dorky)

If you can save up a little more to get something decent, you'll prob wind up riding it more

I'm looking at getting a long travel mountain eBike, but it won't be cheap, a decent one starts around 3K (but it will be a lot of fun!!)

Also please refrain from doing wheelies for blocks and blocks including through intersections like the kids around here do :)
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

I have a dangerous, (and dorky) folding ebike. It's a blast. I'll ride to Newport or Huntington beach using the Santa Ana riverbed trail, or sometimes up to the Corona area on same trail. The manufacturer claims a top speed of 28mph, but it tops out at 25mph on my GPS app which is fast enough. Mine is similar to the ebike below. It came with a T-stem handlebar setup that I swapped out with BMX handlebars. I've had it since September 2023 and have gone just over 600 miles in total so far. Your mileage per ride will vary depending how fast you go. I keep it to around 16mph with pedal assist, and get a bit over 40 miles per ride. Get one with hydraulic brakes. Good brakes are worth every penny. Mine retailed for $1500. I used some Amazon points I had accumulated and got it for about $1250 after tax.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

This is brand new, $1299 is supposedly a great price for what you get.
Im gonna get a non e-bike, but this one intrigued me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKEcRbdwHw
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Kings1967 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm I have a dangerous, (and dorky) folding ebike. It's a blast. I'll ride to Newport or Huntington beach using the Santa Ana riverbed trail, or sometimes up to the Corona area on same trail. The manufacturer claims a top speed of 28mph, but it tops out at 25mph on my GPS app which is fast enough. Mine is similar to the ebike below. It came with a T-stem handlebar setup that I swapped out with BMX handlebars. I've had it since September 2023 and have gone just over 600 miles in total so far. Your mileage per ride will vary depending how fast you go. I keep it to around 16mph with pedal assist, and get a bit over 40 miles per ride. Get one with hydraulic brakes. Good brakes are worth every penny. Mine retailed for $1500. I used some Amazon points I had accumulated and got it for about $1250 after tax.
This thing scares me :D

Agree on the brakes, don't skimp on that!
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 am
I'm looking at getting a long travel mountain eBike, but it won't be cheap, a decent one starts around 3K (but it will be a lot of fun!!)
Can I see the link of that one?

As i stated earlier, I'm looking at a non "E" mountain bike for now, but may want to electrify in the future.

Any tips on mountain (non-E) bikes under, say $750?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:34 am
EzyRider wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 am
Can I see the link of that one?

As i stated earlier, I'm looking at a non "E" mountain bike for now, but may want to electrify in the future.

Any tips on mountain (non-E) bikes under, say $750?
A good MTB under $1000 is likely impossible unless you get a used one, but that can be a good way to go. Look for someone that bought a bike recently (let's say within the last two years) but hasn't really used it and looking to dump it. Look for 29" wheels, or at least 27.5. Bikes with 26" wheels are almost obsolete now and you will have a hard time getting parts. Look for name components in the build like SRAM or Shimano shifters/gears and Fox Fork, etc. Should have hydraulic disc brakes. A hard tail (no rear shock) will be cheaper. I'm huge on tubeless wheels/tires, but that's an extra level of maintenance you may not want.

Check list on the bike they're selling, it should priced half of that or less. Don't go for something that they are not taking a bath on.

Just as important (this is key) find a bike shop near you that you really like because you'll be going there until you get things dialed in and able to do minor things yourself. Who knows, maybe they will have some demo bikes to sell or have something that fits your budget.

Specialized was having a blow out on eBikes, but I think it's over. Some of my friends got them at like $3K from the shop as a special deal but that's crazy cheap.

For eBike I'm looking at a Yeti e160. It's overkill for most people though. I have a Yeti SB100 MTB that I ride all the time right now, I built it up to be fairly light, 25 pounds. Can't say enough good things about that bike, it's downright sexy!

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yeti-160e-t1-2023-review/
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:58 pm A good MTB under $1000 is likely impossible unless you get a used one,
What would be wrong with starting out on something like a Giant Talon 4 that's $500? I'm not going to be ripping rock trails and getting sick air. (That sounds fun, but no interest in adding a seperated shoulder to things I want to deal with). Just wanna pedal up hills and ride down smoothish trails.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

ding-ding-ding - we have a winner!

Giant is a great choice. I've heard they make bike frames for a lot of other companies, so that's why you can get a Giant branded bike for cheaper, it's like getting a store brand.

This checks a lot of marks, made within the last couple years, 29 or 27.5 wheels, disc brakes, dirt cheap, brand new. Get a 29" if you can. Spend the other $250 on a rad kit so you don't look like a folding bike dork :D

That is crazy cheap, must be blowing them out. If you get it online you will have to assemble it yourself, shouldn't be too hard but you will need a few tools like metric allen wrenches (4,5,6 mm at a minimum) and maybe a T25 torx bit. Also FYI the left pedal is always reverse threaded, and tighten pedals just a little past finger tight in case you want to take them off again.

Comparison chart of Talon 1,2,4 > https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-talon-2022
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:17 am ding-ding-ding - we have a winner!

Giant is a great choice. I've heard they make bike frames for a lot of other companies, so that's why you can get a Giant branded bike for cheaper, it's like getting a store brand.

This checks a lot of marks, made within the last couple years, 29 or 27.5 wheels, disc brakes, dirt cheap, brand new. Get a 29" if you can. Spend the other $250 on a rad kit so you don't look like a folding bike dork :D

That is crazy cheap, must be blowing them out. If you get it online you will have to assemble it yourself, shouldn't be too hard but you will need a few tools like metric allen wrenches (4,5,6 mm at a minimum) and maybe a T25 torx bit. Also FYI the left pedal is always reverse threaded, and tighten pedals just a little past finger tight in case you want to take them off again.

Comparison chart of Talon 1,2,4 > https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-talon-2022
Thx, man.

The only fault I can see on the Talon 4 is the non-hydraulic brakes. Thoughts?

Im 6'3", so need an XL with 29 inch wheels for sure.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Blumpkin King wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:30 pm I am getting over a pretty serious injury. I tore my hamstring from the bone. After reattachment and reconstruction surgery I am looking to finally get back outside and away from my bedroom. My doctor suggested an e-bike as I can use the pedal assist to work the hamstring and if I get tired or too far from home I can use throttle only. Does anyone here drive one and how do you like it? How much? I am looking for the 1K to 1.2K range. Looking at folding bikes, but can probably be convinced otherwise.
Thanks,
Hope you get to feeling better and enjoy the outdoors.

I’m curious about these ebikes too. What’s a good one for just cruising around the neighborhood and shit like that?

Not interested in mountain biking at all.
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

eddie lee roth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 am
Blumpkin King wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:30 pm I am getting over a pretty serious injury. I tore my hamstring from the bone. After reattachment and reconstruction surgery I am looking to finally get back outside and away from my bedroom. My doctor suggested an e-bike as I can use the pedal assist to work the hamstring and if I get tired or too far from home I can use throttle only. Does anyone here drive one and how do you like it? How much? I am looking for the 1K to 1.2K range. Looking at folding bikes, but can probably be convinced otherwise.
Thanks,
Hope you get to feeling better and enjoy the outdoors.

I’m curious about these ebikes too. What’s a good one for just cruising around the neighborhood and shit like that?

Not interested in mountain biking at all.
Thanks. Everyday is a little better. I am looking for something to really cruise around the area on and take some paved trails, but not dirt trails. I have no desire right now to get on a dirt. If I do later, I will look into a bike that can handle off road biking. I don't mind looking dorky. I am considering a foldable so in the near future I can fit the bike and drive to newer trails. I am looking for a "step through" so I can get on easier due to my injury. There are 3 that I am currently looking at:

Lectric - https://lectricebikes.com/collections/a ... thru-white

Jasion - https://www.jasionbike.com/products/jasion-x-hunter

Ride1Up - https://ride1up.com/product/portola/

Any thoughts other than I will look dorky.
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

Blumpkin King wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:47 pm
Lectric - https://lectricebikes.com/collections/a ... thru-white

Jasion - https://www.jasionbike.com/products/jasion-x-hunter

Ride1Up - https://ride1up.com/product/portola/

Any thoughts other than I will look dorky.
Those are solid bikes. Most of these folding bikes are all the same with some differences in styling. You want to look for wattage/peak wattage in motor, is it full suspension and what kind (air, hydraulic, mechanical), does it have hydraulic or mechanical brakes, and battery Voltage/Amp Hours (get one with UL stamp of approval). The amp hours are like the gas tank size. The bigger the amp hour number, the farther you should be able to ride. I would never treat it like a MTB, but they aren't really dangerous as long as you're just cruising. You will never not look like a dork on one of these though. There's a ton of accessories and upgrades you can buy for them. I've upgraded my seat, handlebars, rear suspension shock, and bought a pannier bag for it already. I've got 600 miles on its odo so far, and have to buy tires soon. The factory ones are already losing tread, and the rear tire will be bald by 1,000. Buy some Slime or Flat Out too for the inevitable flats you will get. Here's two more brands with folding, step-through frames:

https://www.vitilanebike.com/products/u ... 0524940466

https://www.heybike.com/collections/ele ... /step-thru

I have a Vitilan i7 similar to the pic I posted above in a previous post. It's not a step through, but feels like a tank and well put together. A friend of mine has a HeyBike Tyson and it has a longer wheelbase which makes you lean forward a little more. It feels closer to riding a motorcycle than mine. Mine forces me to ride in a more up-right posture.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:47 am The only fault I can see on the Talon 4 is the non-hydraulic brakes. Thoughts?

I rode with mechanical brakes for years, you'll be good, just make sure replacement pads are available somewhere. This thing is $500, even with mechanical brakes it seems close to cost.

Looking closer I see they ship it to a nearby Giant store and put it together for you. I'd look up your local Giant store and go in there so you can figure out the size (looks like XL), they should have some advice and hopefully some built up that you can spin in the parking lot before you order one.
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:47 am The only fault I can see on the Talon 4 is the non-hydraulic brakes. Thoughts?

I rode with mechanical brakes for years, you'll be good, just make sure replacement pads are available somewhere. This thing is $500, even with mechanical brakes it seems close to cost.

Looking closer I see they ship it to a nearby Giant store and put it together for you. I'd look up your local Giant store and go in there so you can figure out the size (looks like XL), they should have some advice and hopefully some built up that you can spin in the parking lot before you order one.
I’ve already done just that, that’s how I found out about Giant. However the price at the store is $600. I. Tempted to ask if there’s a discount, but will prolly just pull the trigger, no sense in grinding the store over a bit extra when you seem to have to have a good relationship with your shop.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:41 am
EzyRider wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 pm Looking closer I see they ship it to a nearby Giant store and put it together for you. I'd look up your local Giant store and go in there so you can figure out the size (looks like XL), they should have some advice and hopefully some built up that you can spin in the parking lot before you order one.
I’ve already done just that, that’s how I found out about Giant. However the price at the store is $600. I. Tempted to ask if there’s a discount, but will prolly just pull the trigger, no sense in grinding the store over a bit extra when you seem to have to have a good relationship with your shop.
Perfect. I dunno about doing full price, bike shops always wheel and deal and $500 is 16.666% off, that's a good discount.

I'd mention you noticed Giant has an online sale and ask if they can match it (of course they can) and you'll use the extra $100 to buy stuff from the store, like gloves, helmet, spare tubes, air pump, whatever it is you need. Or keep the money and bring by a six pack of IPA when they put your bike together, bike guys typically love beer.
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:46 am
EzyRider wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:17 pm Looking closer I see they ship it to a nearby Giant store and put it together for you. I'd look up your local Giant store and go in there so you can figure out the size (looks like XL), they should have some advice and hopefully some built up that you can spin in the parking lot before you order one.
Perfect. I dunno about doing full price, bike shops always wheel and deal and $500 is 16.666% off, that's a good discount.

I'd mention you noticed Giant has an online sale and ask if they can match it (of course they can) and you'll use the extra $100 to buy stuff from the store, like gloves, helmet, spare tubes, air pump, whatever it is you need. Or keep the money and bring by a six pack of IPA when they put your bike together, bike guys typically love beer.
Thank you sir. You've been more helpful than reddit MTB forum. Sludge always delivers!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:53 am
EzyRider wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:46 am

Thank you sir. You've been more helpful than reddit MTB forum. Sludge always delivers!
Living up to his name...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

I noticed they have full stock of these things in every size, color and wheel combination, and they're all from 2022. So they want to get rid of these things I'm thinking, they're taking up room in a warehouse somewhere. It's possible they built up a zillion of these things post-covid, and everyone bought higher end models or e-bikes instead. Seems like a steal, good find.

I do want to add I've done several triathlons so I have a lot of experience looking dorky. It's impossible to hang out in a full on tri spandex outfit with weird glasses and a goofy helmet and not look like a complete dork. I will however never own a folding bike. :D
It's good to be bad
Nate S Axel
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Nate S Axel »

No need or desire to own any sort of e-bike, but when I was in Utah last year we were near the headquarters for Amped Bikes and got to check them out and even try them out on the track in their yard. Pretty cool to be honest. I'd probably get an all-terrain bike instead of a dirt bike living in Vegas. A couple people in my building have similar bikes (not sure of the brand), and unlike a traditional motorcycle you can't hear them at all... even though that's part of the fun owning a Harley, to rev your engine, wake everybody up early, and ruin their day.

https://ampedbikes.com/
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

My dad had one a couple of years before he passed in 2022. My mom, who is 84, continues to hold on to his things, which is fine. I'd eventually like to get it. It's a Rad Power Bike, so it's a good brand.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

you wanted the DORKY, you got the DORKY!!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/giro-aerohead-ii
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Pulled the trigger on the Giant Talon 4. Gonna hit the fire road off Mulholland tomorrow!

Edit: It was fun. Did 10 miles. Only ate it once.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Nice!! Is the bike decent??

I rode from Will Rogers park at least once or twice, remember it being really good.

To avoid eating shit be sure to read the terrain, you gotta unweight to get over obstacles, don't just run into sh*t.

A more advanced move is to push into the dips, it's kinda the same concept
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:55 pm Nice!! Is the bike decent??

I rode from Will Rogers park at least once or twice, remember it being really good.

To avoid eating shit be sure to read the terrain, you gotta unweight to get over obstacles, don't just run into sh*t.

A more advanced move is to push into the dips, it's kinda the same concept
I think it is decent! Of course i have nothing to compare it to, but it feels solid, and not chintzy in any way.
I will say that it has 8 gears, but feels like it needs 1 or 2 more when i ride on flat asphalt. Like i wouldnt mind hauling ass more on there. Once I get on dirt it isnt noticible tho.

As far as falling, I had crossed the divot once before, not sure what I did the second time, but I will look into learning how to feel them out. I pulled up, but maybe i mistimed it. Or I shoulda leaned back instead of pulling up.

Thx for your help, made my decision easier!
tym
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by tym »

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and buy my first Ebike. So many different brands, styles. I had an idea of what i wanted. It had to be American Made, and Great customer service that is not from india. E-CELLS FIVE STAR E-BIKE is the one I decided to buy. It hit all the points I wanted in a bike.

I think there upgrades are crazy expensive especially when you can get a better item at a way better price from amazon. I just liked the bike had a max speed of 40mph, and seems to do great at climbing hills. See how it works out. In time, my thing is going on major trips. I have a town that like 10 mile from me thats bigger, wanna go there first. Then increase the distance.

See how it works out for me. I know I am gonna get theft insurance on it, if its not crazy expensive. Then a good lock, I like the folding kind, Foldy Lock Forever is what I am gonna go with, along with a bike alarm.
I'm finding it difficult to masturbate to this. I'm trying, I just have so little to work with...