Ever do a step challenge at work?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Ever do a step challenge at work?

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

As in walking recorded on a pedometer app and the winner gets a prize? My work just did one. Easily 50 people competed and the winner, at 15 miles, was frail heavy smoker/drinker who gets winded going up a flight of stairs. She claims she did it walking to work and she probably did but she only lives 6 miles away. Even if she walked back, which I hope she didn't because we didn't clock out until almost midnight, that's not 15 miles and she had to be at work at 4 pm so her time to do this in one day was limited. I strongly suspect her sons helped out. If your job does this don't even bother. Someone is going to cheat.
MattleyCrue

Re: Ever do a step challenge at work?

Post by MattleyCrue »

I try to walk 10-12K steps a day. That’s the goal. Some days do 13-15K
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Cindy Buzzedimisa

MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:33 pm I try to walk 10-12K steps a day. That’s the goal. Some days do 13-15K
Now imagine you doubled that to compete in the challenge and got beat by a long shot by someone who you know couldn't possibly achieve it. That's were I'm at. But I already know nothing good would come from calling it out.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Call them out! I don’t like lying, cheating scum bags!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

What was the "prize"?
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Nate S Axel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:12 pm What was the "prize"?
$50 gift card to a grocery store. Well, smoking is an expensive habit.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

MattleyCrue wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:29 pm Call them out! I don’t like lying, cheating scum bags!
I know I'm not the only one raising my eyebrow. She beat very active physically fit young guys half her age. But no one dares say anything because she's a Lead and management may just take you off the schedule. Not worth it over $50.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

There are so many ways to cheat with those things, even more if they use their phone. Our insurance company gives us some incentives if we link up through an app that tracks our steps, and I usually do at least 15,000 a day, sometimes as high as 25,000 and I easily hit all the arbitrary goals and get a few bucks knocked off my insurance premiums and an occasional gift card. My boss keeps talking about setting up a challenge most of us aren't interested.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I try to avoid any work BS: no team building, no happy hours, no book clubs, etc. Anything that might fall into the "culture bucket" I stay away from. The only reason is boundaries. At least at my organization, there is an artificial rah-rah/family thing that is a red flag for me. I do pay slight attention to step counts through on my own as a curiosity, but nothing more than that.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Nope. Didn’t have time for silly shit just work.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 pm There are so many ways to cheat with those things, even more if they use their phone. Our insurance company gives us some incentives if we link up through an app that tracks our steps, and I usually do at least 15,000 a day, sometimes as high as 25,000 and I easily hit all the arbitrary goals and get a few bucks knocked off my insurance premiums and an occasional gift card. My boss keeps talking about setting up a challenge most of us aren't interested.
Right? I could have taken my neighbor's Australian Shepherd to the dog park and zipped my phone into it's harness. That would have been 10 miles right there. Or have my nephew bring it to soccer practice. If your boss does this and goads you into participating go ahead and cheat. May as well.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

I love teambuilding events. I am always coordinating them. I like to do post work drinks with select coworkers.
LAglamrocker wrote:
Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

Want to eliminate the cheating? At my gym we do a box step up challenge every November. While wearing a 40 lb ruck vest, do 1000 step ups on a 20" wood box, with a 75 minute time limit. Watch the majority of your out-of-shape co-workers tap out within the first 10-15 minutes.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

MattleyCrue wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:09 pm I love teambuilding events. I am always coordinating them. I like to do post work drinks with select coworkers.
This must be sarcasm.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:38 am
MattleyCrue wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:09 pm I love teambuilding events. I am always coordinating them. I like to do post work drinks with select coworkers.
This must be sarcasm.
It’s not. It’s the truth I have about 3 coworkers I am very good friends with and we hang outside of work and go to happy hour.
LAglamrocker wrote:
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

MattleyCrue wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:10 pm
This must be sarcasm.
It’s not. It’s the truth I have about 3 coworkers I am very good friends with and we hang outside of work and go to happy hour.
Good for you. I once worked at a company where I could say that, and I will still grab lunch with a couple of them. This place...fuck no. I'm currently trying to GTFO while still earning a check.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:22 pm
MattleyCrue wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:10 pm

This must be sarcasm.
Good for you. I once worked at a company where I could say that, and I will still grab lunch with a couple of them. This place...fuck no. I'm currently trying to GTFO while still earning a check.
Yeah I hear ya. Sounds like the same boat as my Dad who wants to retire next year but just go in and handle your business and that’s it! Make no friends anyway just put in the time and leave
LAglamrocker wrote:
LeeRatbag
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by LeeRatbag »

Can't stand them myself. Time outside work is mine, not the company's.
THE KINGCROWS - Bad Time For The GoodTime Generation
New album coming soon!
www.thekingcrows.com