If you die, will your workplace acknowledge your death in any way?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

If you die, will your workplace acknowledge your death in any way?

Post by roxxxtar »

Mine won’t and they won’t skip a beat in replacing me.
I work for a multi billion dollar company and I’m just a number.
I’ve been there almost 30 years, and have seen many people die throughout the years.
Not a word is ever said about them.
The only way you know that guy is dead is now there a new guy doing that job.

Now, I’m happy where I work, and get paid a shit ton of money, but I’m still meaningless in the end.
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: If you die, will your workplace acknowledge your death in any way?

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

My corporate job probably not. There's soooo many employees you can't possibly know everybody. I've never heard of anything for anybody and somebody must have kicked off in the time I've worked there.

My bartending job yes. I'm sure they'd have a wake at the bar. That's what they do around here for bar workers and regulars. Happens quite frequently.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Probably not, and I don't care. I've never felt attached to a company—one I worked for for 27 years before I resigned. I cleared my office the day I resigned, did my last two weeks, and walked out the door without saying goodbye to people I've known for 27 years. I'm a few years from retirement. At my current company, I'm trying to find a new gig that I enjoy for that time. Whether I resign or retire from this place, I plan to burn a few bridges. It's needed. All to say, IDGAF about any of those people or whether they GAF about me.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

For about an hour.
Then they will call a temp agency to fill in for my now vacant position.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

We have a christmas tree that has the names of people who have died over the last ten years or so while in service. Cancer, or blowing their own brains out are the main causes of those deaths.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I worked at a chain restaurant about 18 years ago. A kitchen worker killed himself because his girlfriend, one of the servers, broke up with him.

It was a temporary shock. Then everyone went on with their lives pretty quick.

If anyone out there thinks suicide will lead to an "I'll show them" moment, it really doesn't.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

There would be an obituary on our intranet.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

Probably.
Everyone would be wondering who is going to do the payroll.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

The more appropriate question would be, "Would I care or acknowledge if everyone at my workplace died but me."
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 am The more appropriate question would be, "Would I care or acknowledge if everyone at my workplace died but me."
I think you and I are in competition for "Most Over with Corporate America". Still..it's not polite to wish death upon your co-workers. :)

Most of us are expendable. It will be acknowledged for a few minutes, then people will carry on with their day.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:54 am The more appropriate question would be, "Would I care or acknowledge if everyone at my workplace died but me."
I think you and I are in competition for "Most Over with Corporate America". Still..it's not polite to wish death upon your co-workers. :)

Most of us are expendable. It will be acknowledged for a few minutes, then people will carry on with their day.
Indeed, I am over it. Financially, I need to hang in there to get the full benefits of my pension, 401k, and social security. But if something went wrong, I am also at the age where I could figure out how to bridge those few years. With that mindset comes freedom. Is wishing death upon them synonymous with wanting to kill them? LOL :D :D
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

It will be in a quick, generated email to the corporation. After that, the majority with move on and or deleted the email. Corporate machine rolls on.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

It will be in a quick, generated email to the corporation. After that, the majority with move on and or deleted the email. Corporate machine rolls on.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

I'm sure some people will be sad and some may even go to the funeral. We lost a popular guy to covid when there were still restrictions on maximum crowd sizes so we lined the street as his hearse went past. I've been there 16 years so I know a lot of people. But a senior manager I worked with a lot just retired after 40 years and there are already a bunch of new staff in her team so the corporate memory is already disappearing.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

I think the NYC office would have a happy hour in my hour because they'd be happy I'm gone :lol:

My boss would be in mourning because I do the heavy lifting, but like everyone else said life would go on pretty quick
mrsnikkisixx
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrsnikkisixx »

Probably not. I’m sure some would be sad temporarily, but quickly get on with their lives. I’m friendly with folks at work, but I certainly am not there to be friends. While I don’t wish any ill will on them either, I don’t think I’d be on the ground beating the pavement with my fists if any of them died.