Eclipse Plans?

A place to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Eclipse Plans?

Post by TooOldToCare »

For those of us in the path of totality? In Ohio, which is likely to get shit weather anyway, businesses are hyping events for Monday, and commute times are estimated to be between 2-4x the average because of people trying to get to that extra 1%. I work from home and am supposed to be in the 99.X% zone. That's good enough for me not to deal with a bunch of idiots on the road. It is a once-in-a-lifetime event, but it isn't going to make me begin believing in god. It's worth it to stand on my patio and then walk 5 seconds back inside.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Re: Eclipse Plans?

Post by HoldenSSV »

Same here. Depending on which map you believe, I'm at 98-100%.

Our boss is letting us work from home on Monday, so I'm not complaining.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

same as any other day, work, work , work. Got no time for this nonsense
The power of Sludge compels you.
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

I've got friends who are into pagan shit and they're all excited. They'll probably dance nude or something and I feel bad for anyone who has to witness that. Me personally I think eclipses are neat but I hate having to be paranoid about looking at it. I've never heard of anyone blinding themselves this way but why risk it.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Right in the path I will be at work and I can’t wait til it’s over. My town is over hyping this. I don’t give a shit hopefully I’ll be working a deal and miss it
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
VincentVanWinger
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by VincentVanWinger »

So apparently the difference between 99% and Totality is like the difference between getting a hand job from your slightly attractive cousin to nutting inside the hottest wettest pussy of the most gorgeous women you've ever seen in your life.

Of course I'm in the 99.9 zone and about an hour from the good stuff but I work so whatever.

Part of me hopes it's cloudy so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

VincentVanWinger wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am So apparently the difference between 99% and Totality is like the difference between getting a hand job from your slightly attractive cousin to nutting inside the hottest wettest pussy of the most gorgeous women you've ever seen in your life.

Of course I'm in the 99.9 zone and about an hour from the good stuff but I work so whatever.

Part of me hopes it's cloudy so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
For 2 minutes of totality and 1% or less difference, nothing on earth would get me to battle freeway idiots to drive 30-60 minutes, which could take 1-4 hours each way. The weather for Columbus is mostly cloudy and then partly cloudy later in the day. In 2017, we were around 86%. That was cool enough. Even if it were cloudless, I'd imagine going outside, waiting for the 99.x% for a few minutes, and then wandering back into my house. In no universe would I regret not driving to Dayton.
HoldenSSV
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by HoldenSSV »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 amMe personally I think eclipses are neat but I hate having to be paranoid about looking at it. I've never heard of anyone blinding themselves this way but why risk it.
Not sure if serious . . .
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

They are expecting 200,000 people to come to Vermont for this. Schools are letting out early. The main roads north, choc a bloc with cars. I'll be at work and may go outside to see how it is when its dark, without looking at the sun.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

You don't need no stinkin’ glasses.

Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I thought this was supposed to be most visible in Oklahoma or somewhere like that?
Is it supposed to be all dark, or what?
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Metal Sludge wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:01 pm I thought this was supposed to be most visible in Oklahoma or somewhere like that?
There are totality maps like this one. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-ecli ... -map-2024/

There is a 100% path across the US from Texas to Maine. If you are on the 100% path, it will get dark except for the sun's corona (which you can look at with the naked eye). If you are a fraction less than 100% (99.9%), DO NOT look at it without eclipse glasses. That .1% is still bright enough to damage your eyes.

It won't be as dark as night. It will be deep twilight, with everything like that purple/blue sky. Temperatures will drop. Complete totality is only about 2 minutes, though the entire passage of the moon between the sun and earth is about 2 hours.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:34 pm
Metal Sludge wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:01 pm I thought this was supposed to be most visible in Oklahoma or somewhere like that?
There are totality maps like this one. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-ecli ... -map-2024/

There is a 100% path across the US from Texas to Maine. If you are on the 100% path, it will get dark except for the sun's corona (which you can look at with the naked eye). If you are a fraction less than 100% (99.9%), DO NOT look at it without eclipse glasses. That .1% is still bright enough to damage your eyes.

It won't be as dark as night. It will be deep twilight, with everything like that purple/blue sky. Temperatures will drop. Complete totality is only about 2 minutes, though the entire passage of the moon between the sun and earth is about 2 hours.
Thanks. That is very helpful.
I never look directly into the sun if I can help it.
I don't imagine it will affect us much here in SoCal, but I'm intrigued to see what my friends across the country experience.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Black Stuff wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 am same as any other day, work, work , work. Got no time for this nonsense
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Gonna stream it live on Youtube. 8) Very exciting hearing people flip the fuck out over a harmless moment in science.

And I've got cloudy skies in New Orleans, so won't be looking up today. :roll:
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

We ended up with clear skies in Columbus. I'll be sitting in my home office. I have a camera set up to get a few pics, but that's the extent for me. I looked at a few traffic cams of people heading from 99.5% to 100%, and the freeway is a parking lot. I bet many are now thinking 99.5% would have been good enough. :D

I think it's cool to check out, but I'd never travel (even by car) or participate in one of the several hundred events around Ohio. The next for Ohio is in 2099. I certainly won't be around, nor will my kids, so why not step outside for 15 minutes?
Brad Welp
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Brad Welp »

Watching the coverage on Newsmax now. Great coverage. The total eclipse has just hit in southern Texas and is heading towards Dallas.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

I guess I'm not easily impressed. It was kinda neat how the darkness seemed to come in small bursts rather than how evening comes gradually. People on Reddit are raving about it. Small temperature drop of maybe 6-7 degrees, give or take. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

It was cloudy here but pretty cool how it got pitch black! It was better than anticipated!
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Sunny awesome all day Hermosa Beach
Just another awesome day
Difference today -now with Damian Priest as champion.
Ohio day = Crybaby Champion today- story already boring

If wasn’t for some random article popping up would not had any idea today is so special

* good news I got free ticket for Bret/Vince show in September(rockstar life is fun)

Double Eclipse fan- still have cd longbox 10/10 fun
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

LAglamrocker wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:04 pm Sunny awesome all day Hermosa Beach
Just another awesome day
Difference today -now with Damian Priest as champion.
Ohio day = Crybaby Champion today- story already boring

If wasn’t for some random article popping up would not had any idea today is so special

* good news I got free ticket for Bret/Vince show in September(rockstar life is fun)

Double Eclipse fan- still have cd longbox 10/10 fun
Thousands of posts, and I never fail to stop reading ½ way and go WTF. I mean that in a "what drug are you on today" way. No shit...it's like if a Cheech and Chong skit were written by someone with a touch of the 'tism.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

I didn't really notice anything.
But I was in my office all day. Didn't even have sunglasses in there, let alone eclipse glasses. My vision is bad enough these days, no need to exacerbate that!
I did see some cool pics from my friends in OK and TX.
My friends here in LA, had cool pics of shadows, refracted light, etc. That was kinda neat.

What I really want to know is, did the rapture occur? Because if it did, that would be awesome. If all these "christians" were scooped up and taken to Heaven, off this planet, so the rest of us can get busy fixing it.
But it looks like it didn't happen.
Also, there was no earthquake today, not even a teeny one. Wasn't it supposed to be devastating?
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Metal Sludge wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm What I really want to know is, did the rapture occur? Because if it did, that would be awesome. If all these "christians" were scooped up and taken to Heaven, off this planet, so the rest of us can get busy fixing it.
I'm holding out hope, waiting to see who doesn't show up for work this morning.
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 am
Metal Sludge wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 pm What I really want to know is, did the rapture occur? Because if it did, that would be awesome. If all these "christians" were scooped up and taken to Heaven, off this planet, so the rest of us can get busy fixing it.
Yeah, that didn't happen.
But I hear the new rapture date is 4/23.
Maybe there's still hope? :lol:
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Metal Sludge wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:14 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 am
Yeah, that didn't happen.
But I hear the new rapture date is 4/23.
Maybe there's still hope? :lol:
One can dream. I have a long list of names.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I used a Welders mask to view it...........looked like a green tinted quarter moon.