Obamacare upheld

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Obamacare upheld

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

bane wrote: Interesting. With no penalty, how do they plan to enforce it?
There is no enforcement mechanism. This video explains why the standard penalties for tax evasion were removed.

Rewriting brief history of the mandate
http://thelastword.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... ndate?lite
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

NeverSurrender wrote:So, is this going to make health insurance more affordable?
The law requires insurance companies to spend at least 80 percent of the premiums they collect on medical care and quality improvement or return the difference to consumers and employers.

It's Not A Dream: An Insurer Who Lowers Rates
http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/feature ... bates.aspx
Under the health-care overhaul, insurers beginning this year must spend at least 80 percent of the premium dollars they collect on medical claims or quality improvement efforts. Administrative expenses and profits are limited to 20 percent or less of what they collect. Those that don't meet these new "medical loss ratio" standards have to refund the extra premiums collected to consumers.

Consumer Rebates Under Medical Loss Ratio Estimated to Be $1.3 Billion
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/na ... 245209.htm
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

The whole thing is predicated on the young and healthy who may otherwise choose to go uninsured, buying insurance. Without them this thing doesn't work, and without any kind of penalty, how many of those people are going to voluntarily write that check? This should be fun.
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

Post by Aquanetsuperhold »

Oh brother, people are acting like the skyi s falling. Its not.

I live in MA and its been a good thing here. People who didnt have insurance now have it. People that wouldn't go to the doctor's for preventative stuff now go instead of waiting until they have no choice and end up in the emergency room, costing 10 times as much in the long run and it would be devistating for them finacially or.... that cost would be passed on to everyone else either through higher premiums for those that do buy their own insurance or higher hospital and heathcare cost. The majority is going to pay one way or another. I would rather have people have healthcare.
I was layed off a while ago and it was the first time EVER I didnt have health insurance. It took about a month and a half or so to get on the MA plan and about 4 months later I didnt feel right, something was really wrong. I went to the doctor and they found a 7lb tumor in my abdomen. Shocked and scared the shit out of me. If I didnt have insurance I wouldnt have gone to the doctor's at all. I would have eventually have ended up in the ER, with way more complications and problems, costing much more that the $26,000 it took to treat me. PS _ didnt have an extra $26 grand in my back account and it would have finacially done some serious damage. SO yeah yeah yeah. Republicans can cry about it all they want, and yell its about taxes, but it makes me think do they want to be right more than they want to help the people of this counrty.

If you dont want "obamacare" pay the $75 fee, tax, opt-out charge, whatever you want to call it, but if you ever have to go to the doctors, you should have to prove you can pay for it out of your own pocket before they should have to treat you.
johnnycache
Music Fan

Post by johnnycache »

bane wrote:The whole thing is predicated on the young and healthy who may otherwise choose to go uninsured, buying insurance. Without them this thing doesn't work, and without any kind of penalty, how many of those people are going to voluntarily write that check? This should be fun.
All insurance is based on this. Insurance is lifetime financing for the average cost of your healthcare. People who don't start paying when they are young and healthy are like people who don't start saving to retire until they're 50.

The fact that we have been sold a false mentality where we see insurance as a gambling game and not what it is - financing of a very, very carefully estimated major purchase - is one element of our broken health care system. The "young and healthy" are guaranteed to die and virtually guaranteed to need healthcare in the process (unless they are eaten by bears or shot by Danzig's bodyguards for rushing at him with a pie or something)

If they opt out of that care until they verge on actually needing it, they can't afford it, and you get our current culture of unfunded long term health care for the aging and the chronically sick burdening our private and public finances. If they start making small payments early, and that money is managed well, it can pay for the average person and part of a bell curve bender. Further, if basic care and preventative care are widely available and not fenced off economically, they will be cheaper to care for in the long term.

The fact that most young people aren't logistically capable or financially ready to pay a formal premium is one of many reasons why other nations have adopted varying degrees of public health care.

The further fact that they destroy us in health care outcomes despite spending less per capita means there is at least some wisdom in the approach, although limiting real costs, limiting administrative expense, and more accessible medical schools are the other legs on the table that is healthcare in our socio-economic neighbors, and we aren't making much progress on the other three.

Our healthcare system is crisis-level broken. We should be debating about which European or pacific rim country to steal a whole healthcare system from, rather than debating the constitutional basis of why we are dragging our feet as we are slowly hauled into the 21st century, kicking and screaming like children because someone wants to see us able to enjoy what is considered an basic state service - akin to FD, PD, highways - in other countries.
Last edited by johnnycache on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KneelandBobDylan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by KneelandBobDylan »

johnnycache wrote:
bane wrote:The whole thing is predicated on the young and healthy who may otherwise choose to go uninsured, buying insurance. Without them this thing doesn't work, and without any kind of penalty, how many of those people are going to voluntarily write that check? This should be fun.
All insurance is based on this. Insurance is lifetime financing for the average cost of your healthcare. People who don't start paying when they are young and healthy are like people who don't start saving to retire until they're 50.

The fact that we have been sold a false mentality where we see insurance as a gambling game and not what it is - financing of a very, very carefully estimated major purchase - is one element of our broken health care system. The "young and healthy" are guaranteed to die and virtually guaranteed to need healthcare in the process (unless they are eaten by bears or shot by Danzig's bodyguards for rushing at him with a pie or something)

If they opt out of that care until they verge on actually needing it, they can't afford it, and you get our current culture of unfunded long term health care for the aging and the chronically sick burdening our private and public finances. If they start making small payments early, and that money is managed well, it can pay for the average person and part of a bell curve bender. Further, if basic care and preventative care are widely available and not fenced off economically, they well be cheaper to care for in the long term.

The fact that most young people aren't logistically capable or financially ready to pay a formal premium is one of many reasons why other nations have adopted varying degrees of public health care.

The further fact that they destroy us in health care outcomes despite spending less per capita means there is at least some wisdom in the approach, although limiting real costs, limiting administrative expense, and more accessible medical schools are the other legs on the table that is healthcare in our socio-economic neighbors, and we aren't making much progress on the other three.

Our healthcare system is crisis-level broken. We should be debating about which European or pacific rim country to steal a whole healthcare system from, rather than debating the constitutional basis of why we are dragging our feet as we are slowly hauled into the 21st century, kicking and screaming like children because someone wants to see us able to enjoy what is considered an basic state service - akin to FD, PD, highways - in other countries.
Excellent first post.
johnnycache
Music Fan

Post by johnnycache »

KneelandBobDylan wrote:
Excellent first post.
Hey thanks, guy. /canadian
bane

Post by bane »

johnnycache wrote:

If they opt out of that care until they verge on actually needing it, they can't afford it, and you get our current culture of unfunded long term health care for the aging and the chronically sick burdening our private and public finances. If they start making small payments early, and that money is managed well, it can pay for the average person and part of a bell curve bender. Further, if basic care and preventative care are widely available and not fenced off economically, they will be cheaper to care for in the long term.

I agree with all of that, however, it doesn't answer my question. Again, with no penalty or enforcent mechanism, how does this thing work?
johnnycache
Music Fan

Post by johnnycache »

I honestly think it's a precedent thing, really - they are doing the SCOTUS dance with it now.

The next fight SHOULD, in a perfect world, be over cost controls - without cost controls an individual mandate is just a mincing step forward.
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

I do think a lot of people that have a problem with all this are worried about the govenment getting involved because there is so much govement waste and no real controls over costs in place.

The govement does waste so much of our tax money as it is, to some this is just another program the hacks and special interests groups can leech off of and once again the little people that are actually paying and working hard get the shaft.
bane

Post by bane »

johnnycache wrote:I honestly think it's a precedent thing, really - they are doing the SCOTUS dance with it now.

The next fight SHOULD, in a perfect world, be over cost controls - without cost controls an individual mandate is just a mincing step forward.
Agreed. When we were debating this a few years ago I said that congress could easily do it if they just made it a tax, which is essentially what the SCOTUS has said, but our politicians are so scared of being linked to a tax increase that they cloak it in the form of a "mandate" with no teeth in it. Without full participation, it's going to be a massive clusterfuck.
DEATH ROW JOE

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

Without full participation, it's going to be a massive clusterfuck.
No, it's not going to be a massive clusterfuck.
There are ton of cost controls in the bill.

bane

Post by bane »

Its simple math. Without full participation to offset the additional costs of covering higher risk people, you better believe its going to be a clusterfuck. Are insurance companies just going to take the loss? You and I will pay it in the form of higher premiums. This thing works if all the healthy and solvent 20 somethings in the country buy insurance. If they don't, it's a disaster. It's not that hard to fix. Put some teeth in the mandate. I'm floored that they didn't.
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

bane wrote:Its simple math. Without full participation to offset the additional costs of covering higher risk people, you better believe its going to be a clusterfuck. Are insurance companies just going to take the loss? You and I will pay it in the form of higher premiums. This thing works if all the healthy and solvent 20 somethings in the country buy insurance. If they don't, it's a disaster. It's not that hard to fix. Put some teeth in the mandate. I'm floored that they didn't.
basically its along the lines of social security. Everyone pays into it to cover those that need it.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Aquanetsuperhold wrote:I do think a lot of people that have a problem with all this are worried about the govenment getting involved because there is so much govement waste and no real controls over costs in place.

The govement does waste so much of our tax money as it is, to some this is just another program the hacks and special interests groups can leech off of and once again the little people that are actually paying and working hard get the shaft.
exactly, plus a lot of people think absolutely wrong, despite what the supreme court says for the government to force people to do business with private corporations, not to mention that the government itself is a big part of the reason health care is so fucked up. the Medicare and Medicaid programs piss away billions and billions of dollars a year, but the government thinks it knows best when it comes to how we spend out money. And that's after they take their cut of course. I know this law is well intentioned, but this is the government we're talking about, they're gonna find a way to fuck things up piss away even more money while they keep raising taxes and expanding their role in our lives even more.

Well intentioned or not, a lot of simply don't trust the government to do a competent job right now with medicare and medicaid (not to mention most of their other departments and programs) and think it's insanity for them to get even more involved.
bane

Post by bane »

Aquanetsuperhold wrote:
bane wrote:Its simple math. Without full participation to offset the additional costs of covering higher risk people, you better believe its going to be a clusterfuck. Are insurance companies just going to take the loss? You and I will pay it in the form of higher premiums. This thing works if all the healthy and solvent 20 somethings in the country buy insurance. If they don't, it's a disaster. It's not that hard to fix. Put some teeth in the mandate. I'm floored that they didn't.
basically its along the lines of social security. Everyone pays into it to cover those that need it.
Sure, except with no penalties or enforcement mechanism, not everybody is going to pay into it. I'm not really all that opposed to this plan. Im wary of federal involvement, but fundamentally I think it's a good thing for the country. I'm taking issue with the glaring hole in this plan that could be so easily remedied if our politicians weren't such chicken shit spineless jag offs.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

I'm taking a wait and see on this, the enforcement and generally the implementation of the whole thing.

But I've been laughing my ass of the last 24 hours....yes, I am a bad person. Watching Romney in particular try ot spin this puppy has been highly satisfying. And when asked what he would replace it with, he rattled off three things...pre-existing conditions, older children still being covered and I forgot the last one, (saw it on tv and just can't remeber what he exactly said), which are actually the most important parts of the Affordable Care Act. (the actual name of the bill).

Speaking of "Obamacare", this little quote from Jindal accidentally shows how tweeky this will be for Romney:
"There's only one candidate, Gov. Romney, who has committed that he will repeal the Obamney, uh, the Obamacare tax increase," Republican Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Friday during a conference call organized by the Republican National Committee.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... fc9e0358bf

And speaking of Romney, his version is the one that had individual mandates, something that was originated by that commie, pinko Heritage Foundation. Anyhoo...it will be interesting to see if the screeching folks will make that connection. The only part of "Obamacare" that is so unpopular is actually an idea forwarded by an ultra-conservative think tank and put into action by their own candidate. That these screechy folks are screaming about "individual mandates" like it was the second coming of Stalin , well how can they reconcile that the part of the plan they hate (to0 soft a word) was taken by the Democrats from the Republicans.

Heh....

edit: good conversation and information above me.
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Welcome back and enjoy the gloatathon.
ImageImage
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

Once again- being from MA we got a good look at Romney is all about. I'll put it this way. He wil NOT win MA.

He's a cross between Snidley Whiplash and Guy Smiley.

If you wanted to find him all you had to do is turn on a TV camera and he was sure to jump infront of it.

Still looking for the local news footage of him talking about the "Big Dig" (aka Big Money Pit) with his construation hard hat on backwards though 98% of the interview, when one of the workers turns it around the right way on camera! LOL! Total FAIL! He's such a tool, liar and slimeball. He didnt create jobs here he had tons shipped overseas. While at Bain Capital he was just known to rape and pilage weak companies, fire the workers, dismantal and sell off anything he could. He might win if he ran in India.
He's now owned by the the top special interests groups and has no room to move. Unless they catch Obama with kiddie porn, its gonna be Obama 2012!

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/vid ... 7?tin=2280
KneelandBobDylan

Bane, I hope this helps. Conservatives, read this and stop bitching. I know that's damn near impossible for you whiny bastards, but at least try.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezr ... l-mandate/

There are many ironies in the furor around the individual mandate. The fact that it was originally a Republican idea tends to get the most attention. But here’s another: There is no better deal in the legislation — and there has perhaps never been a better deal in the individual health-care market — than to go without insurance and pay the mandate’s penalty.

Here’s what happens now if you decide to wait until you’re sick to buy health insurance: Every health insurance company will tell you no, or they’ll charge you an exorbitant rate, or they’ll offer you insurance that will cover everything except your illness. Insurers, quite rightly, do not want to cover preexisting conditions, and there’s little consumers can do to make them change their minds.

Under the Affordable Care Act, here’s what happens if you wait until you’re sick to buy health insurance: You can buy health insurance and no insurer can charge you more for walking into their office with a lump the size of a golf ball. The catch is that between now and getting sick, if you can afford insurance — which the law defines as you have access to insurance that costs less than eight percent of your income — you have to pay a penalty of $695 a year (that’s the 2016 number; after 2016, it rises with inflation) or 2.5 percent of your annual income, whichever is greater.

The fact of the matter is that $695 a year or 2.5 percent of your annual income is likely to be a lot less than a decent insurance policy will cost you. In a way, paying the mandate is like buying an option to purchase insurance at some future date, when you need it more, for a price that you could never have gotten before the mandate.

But let’s say you try to eke out an even better deal than that: Let’s say you don’t buy insurance and you simply refuse to pay the mandate. What can the government do to make you pay?

Well, unlike if you refuse to pay your taxes, it can’t throw you in jail or put a lien on your home or other property (page 336 of the legislation). It can potentially reduce your tax refund, but that’s really it. If you’re not getting a tax refund, you’re free and clear.

Given these specifics, it’s worth asking why anyone thinks the mandate will work at all. And it’s worth saying that some don’t. “Even as it exists today, the individual mandate is weak and still presents problems because the penalty is so low,” Aetna Chief Executive Mark Bertolini told Reuters. “Obamacare individual mandate unlikely to work” wrote Marrill Matthews of the Institute for Policy Innovation, an organization that opposes the Affordable Care Act.

Most analysts are more optimistic, and for two reasons. First, Americans want health insurance, they want access to care before they get sick, and with the subsidies in place, they’re getting help to buy it. Second, Americans tend to follow the rules. In Massachusetts, where the mandate is similarly weak, compliance has been extraordinarily high.
bane

Post by bane »

KneelandBobDylan wrote:Bane, I hope this helps.
Gotta say, that article didn't do much to boost my confidence on the success of this thing. I'm anticipating a pretty dramatic increase in my premiums, but I guess we 'll see how it works out.
SmokingGun
Headlining Clubs

Post by SmokingGun »

This is long overdue.. Obama deserves all the praise he's getting.
johnnycache
Music Fan

Post by johnnycache »

The thing about "pre-existing conditions" is

your right to be an insurance vendor to the masses should, fairly, require covering them - because the price of insuring them is built into the price charged to the masses. Your insurance premium now is based on the odds you will devlop various conditions - you are paying for your neighbors' mistakes.

This is why large actuarial pools function better than small ones.

A system where pre-existing condtions aren't allowed in the pool is essentially a casino where winning hands are simply folded sometimes.

To be clear, when I said "No cost controls"

I'm not talking about having a five year incentive to lower the cost of something by 1%

or a committee to form a committee to tell us what you could ask any RN at the hospital and get a straight answer.

Or actually bothering to police medicare costs in common sense ways

Sure those are all good, but:

I'm talking a cost control board that sits down with the medical industry with their rings on and says "HAART for aids costs 500 a year in india and 18,000 a year here. What the fuck is wrong with you people"

"In europe, medical bills are not a mentioned factor in bankruptcies - in america, they are a component of nearly every bankruptcy - what the fuck is wrong with you people? (the additional debt discharged in medical bankruptcy is a cost add for everyone else, in every other sector, btw)

A catscan costs 1500 in the US, it's 150 in japan what the fuck is wrong with you people.

Administrative costs are .22 cents on the medical dollar in the us, the highest in the developed world
what the fuck is wrong with you people.

The medical industry and the insurance industry are in a profit motivated upward cost spiral. They have profit motives that cause them to abuse the american public in regards to basic medical care. They are a strong candidate for state capture and heavy regulation, because it is cost effective and humane to involve the state in this service, which is subject to inflexible widespread demand and creates systemic cost and free ridership issues when left in the hands of the private sector. We have a history of inviting governance where it is cost effective and humane, and doing so limits widespread costs and free ridership.

Just as the debt industry has ruined housing for the middle class and bloated the cost of other major purposes, it is bloating the "real" cost of medical care. We need a different incentive culture for the medical system - profit is failing us.

It is not the right mechanism for medicine.

That is why a serious look at profit taking in the insurance industry needs to be taken. The individual mandate WILL lower costs for insurance companies, the question becomes - will they pass that cost on, or pricefix defiantly? Well, gee, I don't know, which one gets them paid?

Were this a revolutionary idea, it would be one thing. I would understand why I'm constantly shouting into the wind on it. But - it's not. We are the LAST people in the first world to figure this out, and we're proud to be backwards.
Stupid Goodbye Thread
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Stupid Goodbye Thread »

Aquanetsuperhold wrote:Oh brother, people are acting like the skyi s falling. Its not.

I live in MA and its been a good thing here. People who didnt have insurance now have it. People that wouldn't go to the doctor's for preventative stuff now go instead of waiting until they have no choice and end up in the emergency room, costing 10 times as much in the long run and it would be devistating for them finacially or.... that cost would be passed on to everyone else either through higher premiums for those that do buy their own insurance or higher hospital and heathcare cost. The majority is going to pay one way or another. I would rather have people have healthcare.
I was layed off a while ago and it was the first time EVER I didnt have health insurance. It took about a month and a half or so to get on the MA plan and about 4 months later I didnt feel right, something was really wrong. I went to the doctor and they found a 7lb tumor in my abdomen. Shocked and scared the shit out of me. If I didnt have insurance I wouldnt have gone to the doctor's at all. I would have eventually have ended up in the ER, with way more complications and problems, costing much more that the $26,000 it took to treat me. PS _ didnt have an extra $26 grand in my back account and it would have finacially done some serious damage. SO yeah yeah yeah. Republicans can cry about it all they want, and yell its about taxes, but it makes me think do they want to be right more than they want to help the people of this counrty.

If you dont want "obamacare" pay the $75 fee, tax, opt-out charge, whatever you want to call it, but if you ever have to go to the doctors, you should have to prove you can pay for it out of your own pocket before they should have to treat you.
I got laid off a few months ago, and I'm uninsured for the first time in my life. I had major throat surgery before I lost my insurance, and thank god the surgeon and his NP were co-workers who agreed to see me free of charge for my follow-up care.

I'm glad Romneycare, er, Obamacare saved your life - it gives me hope.

Buh-Bye
TheMightyMaiden
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by TheMightyMaiden »

I just hope physician salaries don't get cut. There's absolutely no point to do this even though it will be coming anyway.

I'm still having trouble figuring out how this is going to work when there won't be a corresponding increase in physicians though. Sounds like lower quality of healthcare in the end, although it is great more people will be insured.

P.S. I'm male
Stupid Goodbye Thread
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Stupid Goodbye Thread »

NeverSurrender wrote:So, is this going to make health insurance more affordable?

This question goes out to everybody except rattrules and Death Row Joe.

I don't know if you're interested, but there's a guy from around here, Dr. Herbert Smitherman, who is going to talk with Melissa Harris-Perry on Sunday, July 1st at 10AM on MSNBC about the Affordable Care Act and what it means to you, your family and your wallet.
Buh-Bye
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

bane wrote:
Gotta say, that article didn't do much to boost my confidence on the success of this thing. I'm anticipating a pretty dramatic increase in my premiums, but I guess we 'll see how it works out.

There are definitely going to be some bumps in the road, but overall it's a good thing this passed. Even in this wretched economy we're still the richest industrialized nation on the Earth and I think we're the only ones who don't have national health care.

Expect stories of woe when it first goes into effect. We'll have some problems in the beginning, but just like when Microsoft beta tests on the general public every time they offer a new version of windows with all the glitches still intact, if our leaders are a little smart, they should fix what eventually shows itself to be wrong with the plan.
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

Winter wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but what will they do to people who cant afford insurance and never get it? People who are jobless, and simply cannot find a job, really arent going to have the money to afford health insurance.
If you can't afford it then you don't have buy insurance! It only applies to people who can afford it but don't buy it!

They actually said when you look at the numbers it only applies to about 1% of the nation!! The crazy Repukes are going apeshit over something that will only apply to around 1% of the nation since most of us have insurance!
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

brotherplanet wrote:
bane wrote:

There are definitely going to be some bumps in the road, but overall it's a good thing this passed. Even in this wretched economy we're still the richest industrialized nation on the Earth and I think we're the only ones who don't have national health care.

Expect stories of woe when it first goes into effect. We'll have some problems in the beginning, but just like when Microsoft beta tests on the general public every time they offer a new version of windows with all the glitches still intact, if our leaders are a little smart, they should fix what eventually shows itself to be wrong with the plan.
EXACTLY! Every western nation on earth has universal health care except us!

Can you believe how fucking stupid and ignorant some Repukes are?? There were actually tweets after the ruling that they're moving to Canada! CANADA! A nation that already has universal health care! :lol:
KneelandBobDylan

bane wrote:

http://www.barackobama.com/health-care/

Before health care reform, insurance companies routinely spent up to 40% of premiums on overhead and administrative costs. Today, thanks to Obamacare, insurance companies are required to spend at least 80% of your premium on your health care—and if they don’t, you get a rebate. This summer, nearly 12.8 million Americans will start receiving their rebate checks, averaging $151 per household—and totaling more than $1.1 billion.