In the wake of the latest shooting............

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

rubysdad
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

In the wake of the latest shooting............

Post by rubysdad »

Do you Americans think it's to easy to get guns, and if so do you want stricter gun control?
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: In the wake of the latest shooting............

Post by Luminiferous »

Stricter laws? No. The laws are in place and do their job for the most part for normal law abiding American citizens. The shooter in Aurora purchased the guns legally and had no criminal history and no mental illness is known. He came off like a normal American exercising his right to own firearms and unless something is unearthed showing psychological issues missed, the shooter was in all, a regular person..

Most firearms used in the violent crime on the streets are not purchased legally or registered to the offender. There are no background checks. Many are sold or traded for drugs.
If someone wants a gun and cannot legally purchase one, they will find a way, either through friend or relative to get one.
To me, tighter guns laws aren't the answer since the bad guys will always have access to guns. All it takes is money.
DEATH ROW JOE
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DEATH ROW JOE »

brotherplanet wrote: Image
Hey stupid, what part of this do you not understand?

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

Holmes was not acting in the capacity of Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. He was killing harmless people for fun. Of course you're too stupid to see the difference.

Obama received the peace prize because as President he "created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened."

The role the US played in Libya shows that the award was justified. Also, the way he is currently handling Syria shows the award was justified. He's doing exactly what they expected him to do. The US was involved in two wars when the prize was awarded. They obviously knew he would order troops to kill thousands of people.

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2009
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/ ... ress.html/
Bourbon Cowboy
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Bourbon Cowboy »

Same thing I was wondering DRJ. When did Holmes get elected president? I'm not a big fan of any politician in Washington right now, but fucking Obama haters are really reaching nowadays. :lol:

How many died under Bush's "foreign policy?"

muppet butt wrote:You're an idiot if you think he has the ability to ban me.
brotherplanet
Show Me Your Dick

Post by brotherplanet »

It would behoove joey to go to the link that's with the pic.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

brotherplanet wrote:It would behoove joey to go to the link that's with the pic.
Why?
ImageImage
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

rubysdad wrote:Do you Americans think it's to easy to get guns, and if so do you want stricter gun control?
The guns are here and aren't going anywhere. Having the guns already here means no law is going to stop massacres. They're going to happen.

BUT, if some kind of focus on mental health and teaching parents what signs to look for may reduce these kinds of things. Kind of like safety features in cars may reduce traffic fatalities from 25 thousand annually to like 16 thousand annually.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

johnk5150 wrote:
rubysdad wrote:Do you Americans think it's to easy to get guns, and if so do you want stricter gun control?
The guns are here and aren't going anywhere. Having the guns already here means no law is going to stop massacres. They're going to happen.

BUT, if some kind of focus on mental health and teaching parents what signs to look for may reduce these kinds of things. Kind of like safety features in cars may reduce traffic fatalities from 25 thousand annually to like 16 thousand annually.
So it's now PARENTS' responsibility to stop this stuff? Ridiculous. This guy was in his 20s and lived on his own.

How about this? I've been embracing the reverse cargument big time lately. Let's say guns are just like cars - shouldn't someone be required to prove their mental and physical fitness before they can buy a gun? You know, get a learner's permit and then pass a test and shit?

And shouldn't they be required to purchase insurance for any harm or liability that might result? You can be damn sure insurance companies will do a better job of weeding out the mentally unstable than parents will. Let's say you are a lunatic like Mr. Holmes...I bet the insurance would be very expensive. Might even keep him from having the cash to buy 4 assault weapons and 6,000 rounds.

Just a thought. Or we could just hope that parents put a stop to all this.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

I forget where I read it, but one wag said that instead of "gun" control, make the ammo the hard stuff to get. If someone gets off on owning an AR-15 or the like, they can go all out and stroke that honey lovngly. :P But, that someone wouldn't be able to buy 6000 rounds of ammo for the thing. (Like Holmes did).

Honestly I wouldn't mind a limit on ammo. Our guns are tools for hunting and shootiing dangerous varmits. Really, how many bullets or shells do we need? Even with target practice or clay shooting. Though paintballing has taken over from the former lately.

It was the purchase of 6000 rounds that should have been ringing the alarm bells loud and clear with this Colorado dude.
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:

So it's now PARENTS' responsibility to stop this stuff? Ridiculous. This guy was in his 20s and lived on his own.

How about this? I've been embracing the reverse cargument big time lately. Let's say guns are just like cars - shouldn't someone be required to prove their mental and physical fitness before they can buy a gun? You know, get a learner's permit and then pass a test and shit?

And shouldn't they be required to purchase insurance for any harm or liability that might result? You can be damn sure insurance companies will do a better job of weeding out the mentally unstable than parents will. Let's say you are a lunatic like Mr. Holmes...I bet the insurance would be very expensive. Might even keep him from having the cash to buy 4 assault weapons and 6,000 rounds.

Just a thought. Or we could just hope that parents put a stop to all this.
Did your parents have any influence on how you turned out good or bad?
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

johnk5150 wrote: Did your parents have any influence on how you turned out good or bad?
I have no idea.

I do know that if I decided I wanted to a kill a bunch of people tonight at the Yankees game I'm going to, they would have very little say whether or not I did. Just because I was mentally stable at 20, the last time I lived at home, doesn't mean I am stable now. Through my revolutionary "Guns are Just Like Cars" licensing and insuring system, we can affect REAL change and keep the currently unstable from owning guns.

I do like your "forced good parenting" gun control plan. I just think it has less chance of actually doing any good than even REAL gun control. And that's saying something.
Stoner
Queen Bee

Post by Stoner »

vlad wrote:I forget where I read it, but one wag said that instead of "gun" control, make the ammo the hard stuff to get. If someone gets off on owning an AR-15 or the like, they can go all out and stroke that honey lovngly. :P But, that someone wouldn't be able to buy 6000 rounds of ammo for the thing. (Like Holmes did).

Honestly I wouldn't mind a limit on ammo. Our guns are tools for hunting and shootiing dangerous varmits. Really, how many bullets or shells do we need? Even with target practice or clay shooting. Though paintballing has taken over from the former lately.

It was the purchase of 6000 rounds that should have been ringing the alarm bells loud and clear with this Colorado dude.
This - apparently the Swiss employ something similar.

This graphic basically outlines how it operates. If anyone knows more about how this actually works (or does not work), please feel free to add.

Inessence
Platinum Artist

Post by Inessence »

Yes and no.
IggyPopWillEatItself wrote:
Inessence wrote:Whoa. I bought a cd of a band Iggy hasn't heard of before? :lol:
Yep, there's actually still a few left out there! :lol:
MotleyMaiden
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MotleyMaiden »

Yes, it is easy to get guns. Yes, I am for stricter laws. I AM a gun owner. i actually do support the 2ns Amendment BUT I feel there should be reasonable restrictions to it. I don't think the average citizen should walk into a store and walk out with an an assault weapon. I also don't feel people should be able to buy as many handguns a month as they desire/ can afford.

The 2nd Amendment was written at a time when guns were muzzle loaded and could fire 2-3 rounds a minute and weren't all that accurate. Now there are weapons that can shoot and kill people with deadly accuracy before the first 911 phone call can even go through.

The whole argument that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is ridiculous. People WITH guns kill people and they are the only device that are manufactured STRICTLY for that purpose, Killing people. Sure there are hunting rifles but the majority of guns out there are designed and manufactured with the idea and intent of taking human life. If this country were manufacturing ANY other device to serve the same purpose, law suits would be flying and people would be screaming to get them off the marked.

The whole argument that "well criminals have guns" is also ridiculous. No one is suggesting taking away hand guns or shotguns. And shotguns are truly the BEST thing for home defense.

It is HIGH time that we had a rational, reasonable discussion about gun control and the ramification of our lax laws on our country. Unfortunately, we have the NRA brainwashing too many people and too many people acting like tards over them. As long as we are going to continue to allow guns to be so easily accessible and fight tooth and nail to keep extremely high powered weapons than we need to stop pretending that we are horrified when something like the Aurora shooting happens.
http://avatars.jurko.net/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Love dogs. Hate Trump supporters
BigDrewHalenite
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by BigDrewHalenite »

vlad wrote:I forget where I read it, but one wag said that instead of "gun" control, make the ammo the hard stuff to get. If someone gets off on owning an AR-15 or the like, they can go all out and stroke that honey lovngly. :P But, that someone wouldn't be able to buy 6000 rounds of ammo for the thing. (Like Holmes did).

Chris Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II
chickenona wrote:YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

MotleyMaiden, good job!

The U.S. has the highest per capita gun ownership rate on EARTH and the highest gun death rate in the west! More than TWENTY times higher than England, Germany, France, Japan, etc.!

Out of the 23 richest nations America has 80% of the gun deaths! Even Harvard atty Alan Dershowitz on CNN said we have to reduce the number of guns in America!

Fewer guns in nations like England and Japan means less than 100 gun deaths a year while here we have 30,000 a year! The evidence is clear and can't be denied!
Danzig in the Dark

RATTrules wrote:
Fewer guns in nations like England and Japan means less than 100 gun deaths a year while here we have 30,000 a year! The evidence is clear and can't be denied!
It's not the guns, it's us. England and Japan have far fewer kicking and beating deaths per year than us and it is not because fists and feet are illegal. When England banned guns, their murder rate didn't change as it was already quite low. We are a violent society. Ban guns and we'll still slaughter each other at ridiculous rates.
ImageImage
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:
RATTrules wrote:
It's not the guns, it's us. England and Japan have far fewer kicking and beating deaths per year than us and it is not because fists and feet are illegal. When England banned guns, their murder rate didn't change as it was already quite low. We are a violent society. Ban guns and we'll still slaughter each other at ridiculous rates.
NOT true dude! It's much easier to commit mass killing with guns since you can pick people off from 50, 100, or 200 feet away!

In the few cases people have gone crazy with a knife they get gang tackled and the damage is MUCH less! This Colorado shooter didn't get gang tackled since he could pick anyone off that came his way!
Danzig in the Dark

RATTrules wrote:
Danzig in the Dark wrote:
RATTrules wrote:
NOT true dude! It's much easier to commit mass killing with guns since you can pick people off from 50, 100, or 200 feet away!

In the few cases people have gone crazy with a knife they get gang tackled and the damage is MUCH less! This Colorado shooter didn't get gang tackled since he could pick anyone off that came his way!
What's not true? The British and Japanese have far less murder than we do, not just shootings but stabbings, strangulations and good old fashioned beatings. Do you think all our would-be killers will surrender their homicidal aspirations along with their firearms?

Face the facts. Guns will not be banned.

P.S. Pearcy's vocals and stage presence are worse than cat shit and Ratt shit... and Stryper.
ImageImage
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

Anyone who thinks Stryper is better than RATT is completely delusional! I was around in the 80s and I know the Stryper fags were never taken seriously and viewed as a gay ChristNUT band!
milk-milk-lemonade
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by milk-milk-lemonade »

I see two glaring contributing factors that haven't been considered yet:

1. Violent first-person shooter video games.

2. Marilyn Manson lyrics.
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!
!
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:'Oh boy...' is a 300 Part Series
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:I see two glaring contributing factors that haven't been considered yet:

1. Violent first-person shooter video games.

2. Marilyn Manson lyrics.
But their even more video game crazy in South Korea than here but they don't have the mass shootings we have! Why?

The gooks don't have all the guns that we have!
MotleyMaiden
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MotleyMaiden »

Even Antonin Scalia has said that the limitations on the 2nd Amendment is going to need to be decided. How far are we going to allow this to go? ARE we going to decide that hand held rocket launchers are covered under it?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07 ... -ownership

I had a discussion with a woman at work the day after Scalia's appearance on Fox. She is adamantly let- people -own -all- the -weapons- they-want-no -matter -what- kind- they -are, NRA supporter. Her husband collects and target shoots with multiple weapons. This includes several assault weapons. Her argument is that he "loves" guns and target shooting with an assault weapon is like "driving a Cadillac" for him. Therefore he should be allowed to do it. She also turned around and said she would support him buying a rocket launcher if that is what he wanted. :shock:

Now, her husband is a responsible owner, no question. But the laws allow for people who AREN'T responsible and allow for people who want to go on killing sprees to have access to these weapons. And it is the attitudes of people like her and her husband that allow these laws to exist.

On July 1st, Va eradicated its "one handgun a month" law. The indication is sales are already up 30%. In 1993, when the law was enacted, we were knows as the gun running capital of the East Coast. We were supplying guns to everyone else and helping increase their murder rates. Well, how long before we gain that proud title again?

We don't even make sense in this country. There are communities out there that are euthanizing Pit Bulls in droves that have NEVER done anything wrong and they do it on the off chance that one may bite someone one day. They will kill a living creature in a New York minute and claim that they are doing it to protect people but won't pass reasonable laws on weapons that can fire 100 rounds in a minute to do the same thing. And now there are actually people out there that think that owing a hand held rocket launcher is a "right". Great, we won't need to worry about terrorists getting on planes with their bombs, they will just take one down from the ground.

I am also going to say that I have always felt pretty strongly about this but my feelings have really gone off the charts since my friend's sister was killed by her exhusband with an SKS assault rifle. A weapon that the killer took from his father and then murdered his exwife while she was on her knees in a closet. Now, would he have shot her with a handgun, probably, most likely. Would she have survived? Who knows? He shot her in the chest and at close range, well you can imagine the damage the weapon that did. The fact he used an assault weapon insured that he killed her with one shot. A .22 certainly wouldn't have done that amount of damage.
http://avatars.jurko.net/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Love dogs. Hate Trump supporters
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

The sad truth is you will need an Aurora type shooting every week or 2 before a change is made. We had the Sikh temple shooting so if we have 4 or 5 more MASS shootings in the next 6 weeks then things MAY change!
Danzig in the Dark

What is an "assault weapon"? I see people throwing the term out and I wonder if anyone actually knows what they speak of.
ImageImage
RATTdrools
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RATTdrools »

Danzig in the Dark wrote:What is an "assault weapon"? I see people throwing the term out and I wonder if anyone actually knows what they speak of.
Something that should be banned! It may take some years but eventually the ban will be re - instated.
Danzig in the Dark

RATTrules wrote:
Danzig in the Dark wrote:What is an "assault weapon"? I see people throwing the term out and I wonder if anyone actually knows what they speak of.
Something that should be banned! It may take some years but eventually the ban will be re - instated.
Like this:

or this?:
ImageImage