60 Minutes program about 2008 election/Sarah Palin

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Re: 60 Minutes program about 2008 election/Sarah Palin

Post by pooldude »

You're a good sport Jake. :wink:
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I try!

Seriously though, the SNL stuff Tina Fey did wasn't even funny. Watching the VP debates was HYSTERICAL. So many 'face-palm' moments throughout the broadcast.

You don't even need to mock her.

Like Bush, I think it's dishonest to call her "stupid." I mean, she was the governor of a state. You can become a pop star or a famous actor and be stupid and get by with looks/talent. Rising through American politics should require a semblance of intelligence. I don't see her as the Mensa candidate that ZVD does, but something was clearly amiss when she left Alaska, and I don't know if it's that she's anxious in front of a national audience or just realized she IS a "hockey mom" and was in WAAAAAY over her head.

Either way if she runs in 2012 she'll get stomped.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

JakeYonkel wrote:Like Bush, I think it's dishonest to call her "stupid." I mean, she was the governor of a state. You can become a pop star or a famous actor and be stupid and get by with looks/talent. Rising through American politics should require a semblance of intelligence.
I never saw her as stupid as in having a low IQ, but she is stupid in that she is woefully lacking in knowledge about really important things. When you're the Vice Presidential nominee and your advisors have to give you a crash course in World War I and World War II, and explain to you why there are two Koreas, that's not good. At her age it's too late to make up for those gaps in knowledge.

I don't doubt she's more intelligent than Bush IQ-wise, but he at least had an elite education that must have rubbed off on him in some capacity, even if he only received it due to family connections and cronyism.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Ugmo wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:Like Bush, I think it's dishonest to call her "stupid." I mean, she was the governor of a state. You can become a pop star or a famous actor and be stupid and get by with looks/talent. Rising through American politics should require a semblance of intelligence.
I never saw her as stupid as in having a low IQ, but she is stupid in that she is woefully lacking in knowledge about really important things. When you're the Vice Presidential nominee and your advisors have to give you a crash course in World War I and World War II, and explain to you why there are two Koreas, that's not good. At her age it's too late to make up for those gaps in knowledge.

I don't doubt she's more intelligent than Bush IQ-wise, but he at least had an elite education that must have rubbed off on him in some capacity, even if he only received it due to family connections and cronyism.
Uneducated would be the word. Woefully uneducated, and with a seemingly shocking lack of interest in learning about the world beyond her immediate surroundings.

Maybe that's not stupid...but it's close enough.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Ugmo wrote:

That wouldn't make her stupid, that would make her ignorant. I think that's a reasonable assesment, but her Pentecostal leanings can't be described as anything but stupid or at the very least, incredibly gullible.
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Post by TravisBickelsMohawk »

So Sarah Palin was discovered through a Google search? Did I actually hear that correctly?
Animals die to keep your fat ass alive.
NickasInSaltLick
The Fat Man of Steel

Post by NickasInSaltLick »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:So Sarah Palin was discovered through a Google search? Did I actually hear that correctly?
No, she was vetted by a Google search. A couple people had heard about her by that point. Not many though.

Sludgeaholic of the Month - May 2004
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Well, that's a relief. Sort of. :?
bane

Post by bane »

They vetted her through Google? Holy shit. The guy that works at my local liquor store was vetted more than that when he was hired.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

bane wrote:They vetted her through Google? Holy shit. The guy that works at my local liquor store was vetted more than that when he was hired.
I think that's fine. Exactly what you'd expect from such a maverick!
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Still doesn't explain why they chose her specifically. Of all the politically relevant Repub women in the world, she got picked?

What went wrong there? Was somebody thinking with their nut sacks?
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:Still doesn't explain why they chose her specifically. Of all the politically relevant Repub women in the world, she got picked?

It was worth a try I think. They were going to lose no matter whom they picked... they figured she was hot and conservative, and at least competent enough to win a relatively high political office. I guess they weren't expecting they'd be dealing with probably the dumbest governor of them all.
bane

Post by bane »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:Still doesn't explain why they chose her specifically. Of all the politically relevant Repub women in the world, she got picked?

I think that's exactly what they were doing. She's an attractive woman, particularly for a politician. That's marketable. She was also VERY effective in energizing the base at the convention. I thought she was a republican Anne Richards. It wasn't until later that we all found out how incompetent she is.
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:What went wrong there? Was somebody thinking with their nut sacks?
It's worked well for ZVD, hasn't it?
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Post by St_Augustines_Pears »

pooldude wrote:
TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:What went wrong there? Was somebody thinking with their nut sacks?
It's worked well for ZVD, hasn't it?
Fucking ZING!
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"
Bourbon Cowboy
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Bourbon Cowboy »

Obiden Obiden Obiden

Can I just call you Joe? :lol:
muppet butt wrote:You're an idiot if you think he has the ability to ban me.
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

i expect the republican party to dissolve any time now. maybe splinter into factions like teabaggers, palinites, etc.

mike huckabee scares the shit out of me. he seems calm, and well-spoken. indeed, he even looks like a friendlier richard nixon. but beneath all that unassuming facade is a batshit insane fundamentalist that wants the bible to be the law of the land.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

The Mighty Boosh wrote:i expect the republican party to dissolve any time now. maybe splinter into factions like teabaggers, palinites, etc.

mike huckabee scares the shit out of me. he seems calm, and well-spoken. indeed, he even looks like a friendlier richard nixon. but beneath all that unassuming facade is a batshit insane fundamentalist that wants the bible to be the law of the land.

And, this is backed up because he's done what exactly?
ImageImage
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

Huckabee use to be a Southern Baptist minister. In Arkansas. Do you really need a list of shit he's capable of doing?
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:Huckabee use to be a Southern Baptist minister. In Arkansas. Do you really need a list of shit he's capable of doing?
Instead, give me a list of shit he did while serving as Governor of Arkansas.
ImageImage
TravisBickelsMohawk
Mad Cow Diseased

He does have a good record of commuting the sentences of future cop killers, aka Maurice Clemmons.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

Gee, that's a shock, bring up that he let a guy out of jail and the guy was insane and killed a cop.

What has he done, legislatively, because of his personal religious beliefs that changed anybody's life.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

VinnieKulick wrote:What has he (Huckabee) done, legislatively, because of his personal religious beliefs that changed anybody's life?
OK. Here's a good example for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... e#Abortion

"Mike Huckabee is strongly opposed to abortion, including cases of rape or incest. He has stated that abortion should be legal only when the life of the mother is at risk. He believes that it would "most certainly" be a good day for America if Roe v. Wade were repealed.

In one 1996 case, the abortion clinic that performed an abortion on a 15-year-old Arkansas girl who was allegedly raped by her stepfather was denied Medicare reimbursement by Huckabee. "
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

So, "he" denied to pay for the abortion, because it WAS PROHIBITED BY THE STATES CONSTITUTION?

I know the left loves to think things like Constitutions (specifically the tenth amendment) don't exist, but they do, and until a Supreme Court decides on the matter, he was following the law of Arkansas.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

VinnieKulick wrote:So, "he" denied to pay for the abortion, because it WAS PROHIBITED BY THE STATES CONSTITUTION?

I know the left loves to think things like Constitutions (specifically the tenth amendment) don't exist, but they do, and until a Supreme Court decides on the matter, he was following the law of Arkansas.
I'm sorry to disagree, Vinnie...but I see Mr Huckabee's actions as more of an example of his Southern Baptist religious beliefs attempting to stand in the way of a woman's personal reproductive right of choice.

He is a proponent of overturning Roe v Wade.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

And, as President, he can't do that himself. It would take a lawsuit making it to the SCOTUS. So, no matter WHAT his personal beliefs are, he was STILL following the law, and you have a problem with that.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

VinnieKulick wrote:And, as President, he can't do that himself. It would take a lawsuit making it to the SCOTUS. So, no matter WHAT his personal beliefs are, he was STILL following the law, and you have a problem with that.
No, I believe he was following the law as defined & interpreted by his personal fundamentalist religious beliefs, in defiance of federal laws.

I have a problem the that.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo wrote:

It was worth a try I think. They were going to lose no matter whom they picked... they figured she was hot and conservative, and at least competent enough to win a relatively high political office. I guess they weren't expecting they'd be dealing with probably the dumbest governor of them all.
As others have said, I don't think she is precisely dumb. Rebellious, perhaps, since the McCain campaign has said they gave her homework for the Couric interview that she didn't do. And she said some things clearly rebellious in the campaign, like saying she didn't agree with the decision to abandon Michigan to the Dems.

She rose to governor by eschewing cronyism and ratting out her benefactor in the Alaska GOP. I'm sure if McCain's people had looked at that whole thing, they would have picked someone else, because it bode ill for a team player mentality in the campaign.

Now that can be construed as dumb, but then, maybe she figured it got her the governorship and she should stick to her guns. Obviously she was wrong about that one...
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

pooldude wrote: No, I believe he was following the law as defined & interpreted by his personal fundamentalist religious beliefs, in defiance of federal laws.

I have a problem the that.
A law is a law, and the only people who interpret them are appellate court judges.

The law FORBID MEDICARE FUNDS FROM PAYING FOR ABORTIONS. He could be a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, An Agnostic, or a fucking flying spaghetti monster fan, and he still couldn't use the money to pay for an abortion.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

Quit trying to BS me Vinnie.

Hukabee's religious beliefs are the driving force behind his (& people like him) searching for any chance to put up an obstacle to keep a woman from exercising her reproductive rights, as protected by Roe v Wade.

You know it, & I know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... e#Abortion

"Federal laws changed in 1993, mandating that Medicare funds also be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest. This caused an abortion opponent to file a lawsuit asking that Arkansas be forced to withdraw from Medicare. The state contended that abortions in cases of rape and incest were being funded by a private trust in order to abide by state law. Huckabee claimed that if Medicare funds were used in those cases, the state risked losing both the lawsuit and about $900 million in federal funding. Huckabee has indicated that he personally opposes public funding for abortions or for organizations that perform or advocate the procedure. He stated the Supreme Court ruling, Roe v Wade, had created a "holocaust of liberalized abortion".

In a 2006 interview, Huckabee said that the legality of abortion "should be left to the states." However, in November 2007 he told Fox News that the federal government should outlaw abortion, stating, "For those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right"."
Last edited by pooldude on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.