60 Minutes program about 2008 election/Sarah Palin

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Re: 60 Minutes program about 2008 election/Sarah Palin

Post by lerxstcat »

Ugmo wrote:
TravisBickelsMohawk wrote:Still doesn't explain why they chose her specifically. Of all the politically relevant Repub women in the world, she got picked?

What went wrong there? Was somebody thinking with their nut sacks?
It was worth a try I think. They were going to lose no matter whom they picked... they figured she was hot and conservative, and at least competent enough to win a relatively high political office. I guess they weren't expecting they'd be dealing with probably the dumbest governor of them all.
As others have said, I don't think she is precisely dumb. Rebellious, perhaps, since the McCain campaign has said they gave her homework for the Couric interview that she didn't do. And she said some things clearly rebellious in the campaign, like saying she didn't agree with the decision to abandon Michigan to the Dems.

She rose to governor by eschewing cronyism and ratting out her benefactor in the Alaska GOP. I'm sure if McCain's people had looked at that whole thing, they would have picked someone else, because it bode ill for a team player mentality in the campaign.

Now that can be construed as dumb, but then, maybe she figured it got her the governorship and she should stick to her guns. Obviously she was wrong about that one...
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by VinnieKulick »

pooldude wrote: No, I believe he was following the law as defined & interpreted by his personal fundamentalist religious beliefs, in defiance of federal laws.

I have a problem the that.
A law is a law, and the only people who interpret them are appellate court judges.

The law FORBID MEDICARE FUNDS FROM PAYING FOR ABORTIONS. He could be a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, An Agnostic, or a fucking flying spaghetti monster fan, and he still couldn't use the money to pay for an abortion.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

Quit trying to BS me Vinnie.

Hukabee's religious beliefs are the driving force behind his (& people like him) searching for any chance to put up an obstacle to keep a woman from exercising her reproductive rights, as protected by Roe v Wade.

You know it, & I know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... e#Abortion

"Federal laws changed in 1993, mandating that Medicare funds also be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest. This caused an abortion opponent to file a lawsuit asking that Arkansas be forced to withdraw from Medicare. The state contended that abortions in cases of rape and incest were being funded by a private trust in order to abide by state law. Huckabee claimed that if Medicare funds were used in those cases, the state risked losing both the lawsuit and about $900 million in federal funding. Huckabee has indicated that he personally opposes public funding for abortions or for organizations that perform or advocate the procedure. He stated the Supreme Court ruling, Roe v Wade, had created a "holocaust of liberalized abortion".

In a 2006 interview, Huckabee said that the legality of abortion "should be left to the states." However, in November 2007 he told Fox News that the federal government should outlaw abortion, stating, "For those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right"."
Last edited by pooldude on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

pooldude wrote:
VinnieKulick wrote:So, "he" denied to pay for the abortion, because it WAS PROHIBITED BY THE STATES CONSTITUTION?

I know the left loves to think things like Constitutions (specifically the tenth amendment) don't exist, but they do, and until a Supreme Court decides on the matter, he was following the law of Arkansas.
I'm sorry to disagree, Vinnie...but I see Mr Huckabee's actions as more of an example of his Southern Baptist religious beliefs attempting to stand in the way of a woman's personal reproductive right of choice.

He is a proponent of overturning Roe v Wade.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

pooldude wrote:Quit trying to BS me Vinnie.

Hukabee's religious beliefs are the driving force behind his (& people like him) searching for any chance to put up an obstacle to keep a woman from exercising her reproductive rights, as protected by Roe v Wade.

You know it, & I know it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... e#Abortion

"Federal laws changed in 1993, mandating that Medicare funds also be used for abortions in cases of rape and incest. This caused an abortion opponent to file a lawsuit asking that Arkansas be forced to withdraw from Medicare. The state contended that abortions in cases of rape and incest were being funded by a private trust in order to abide by state law. Huckabee claimed that if Medicare funds were used in those cases, the state risked losing both the lawsuit and about $900 million in federal funding. Huckabee has indicated that he personally opposes public funding for abortions or for organizations that perform or advocate the procedure. He stated the Supreme Court ruling, Roe v Wade, had created a "holocaust of liberalized abortion".

In a 2006 interview, Huckabee said that the legality of abortion "should be left to the states." However, in November 2007 he told Fox News that the federal government should outlaw abortion, stating, "For those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right"."
I'm not trying to bullshit you. i am telling you that since the Arkansas State Constitution forbid spending the money in that manner, that he was following the laws of his state.

All of the nice green font you use still doesn't negate that fact.
ImageImage
pooldude
Headlining Clubs

Post by pooldude »

VinnieKulick wrote:i am telling you that since the Arkansas State Constitution forbid spending the money in that manner, that he was following the laws of his state.
And I am telling you Mr Huckabee was playing both sides against the middle, in a clever maneuver that reflected his fundamentalist religious beliefs over common sense & decency.

Go ahead & defend forcing a woman to bare a child from incest all you want.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

Stop blaming the man for following the law.
ImageImage
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

Post by absolutely fabulous »

man, i don't get this all get up about abortion..

fuck responsibly, and what's the problem?

i love how the main defense to pro-choice is harm to the mother or incest/rape,
doesn't that only account to 1% (or so) of the total of abortions?

i believe the top totals are:

too young
can't afford
not ready to have a child

edit: men giving an opinion is laughable.
The Fiendster wrote:I hate everyone in this thread. Especially myself.

FUCK. I need a drink. :lol:
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

absolutely fabulous wrote:man, i don't get this all get up about abortion..

fuck responsibly, and what's the problem?

i love how the main defense to pro-choice is harm to the mother or incest/rape,
doesn't that only account to 1% (or so) of the total of abortions?

i believe the top totals are:

too young
can't afford
not ready to have a child

edit: men giving an opinion is laughable.
The main "defense" for pro choice has never been incest or rape. It has always been that it's a woman's body and her choice to do whatever the fuck she wants with it.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

You said it Bane, I'd personally never want my partner to have an abortion, but I will never have to personally decide to have one or not. I just don't think men need to be weighing in as if they are the ones who have to endure it.
ImageImage
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

bane wrote: The main "defense" for pro choice has never been incest or rape. It has always been that it's a woman's body and her choice to do whatever the fuck she wants with it.
which is convenient, seeming a man never has to deal with this dilemma.

and i have to say, the main outcry is for incest/rape/harm to mother IS what they push as the platform, because it's hard to deny . even i agree to abortion on in those instances, but..

bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

absolutely fabulous wrote:
bane wrote: The main "defense" for pro choice has never been incest or rape. It has always been that it's a woman's body and her choice to do whatever the fuck she wants with it.
which is convenient, seeming a man never has to deal with this dilemma.

and i have to say, the main outcry is for incest/rape/harm to mother IS what they push as the platform, because it's hard to deny . even i agree to abortion on in those instances, but..
I don't see where you're getting that incest/rape etc has ever been a major part of the argument. I have heard it used by pro life people as in "I'm 100% against abortion, except for maybe in the cases of rape or incest", but the pro choice side of it has always been pretty clear. It's a woman's body and her choice. That's why the call it "pro choice".
Regardless. This is one of those subjects that I find pretty much useless to argue about. People either fall on one side of it or the other of the argument. It's not really defined by logic or reason, so nobody ever changes their mind.
Last edited by bane on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

i think it should be defined by logic, not reason.

having an abortion can cause psychological stress, where a woman feels doubt and depression from having to have chosen to end a pregnancy to physical scarring to the uterus that a woman may not be able to have children at a later time.
i sure hope a woman that choses this is given all information before she decides to have an abortion.

and as i said, look up the main reason for having an abortion and that says it all.

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

VinnieKulick wrote:And, as President, he can't do that himself. It would take a lawsuit making it to the SCOTUS. So, no matter WHAT his personal beliefs are, he was STILL following the law, and you have a problem with that.

Remember how the republicans convened a special session of Congress to try to keep Terry Schiavo alive? That was something they had absolutely no right to do, and it reeked of pandering to the religious right. Do you think Huck as president would have signed legislation like Bush did? I'm pretty sure he would have.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7212079/

Funny how when the democrats have the office, the President has awesome powers, and yet when a republican is in office they are severely limited in what they can do and affect.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

tin00can wrote: Remember how the republicans convened a special session of Congress to try to keep Terry Schiavo alive?

What's that again? CONGRESS acted, and after both houses passed legislation, the President signed it?

He didn't do it on his own.

Neither could Huckabee, neither can Obama, neither can any other President.

But yeah, let's make a big deal out of keeping a person alive.

(and personally, I was against the Terry Schiavo ruling)
ImageImage
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

VinnieKulick wrote:
tin00can wrote: Remember how the republicans convened a special session of Congress to try to keep Terry Schiavo alive?

What's that again? CONGRESS acted, and after both houses passed legislation, the President signed it?

He didn't do it on his own.

Neither could Huckabee, neither can Obama, neither can any other President.

But yeah, let's make a big deal out of keeping a person alive.

(and personally, I was against the Terry Schiavo ruling)

It was a republican-controlled Congress, just like we now have a democrat-controlled Congress that can't pass significant healthcare reform. The president was all over it, even flying back to work early from vacation to sign it. As for "let's make a big deal out of keeping a person alive," the republicans sure did. I'm using it as a point of comparison.

With all that said, I do think Huck is a decent guy and would act on his convictions, whether I agree with them or not.
VinnieKulick

Post by VinnieKulick »

It was a republican controlled congress THEN. Who knows what it will be in 2012.

And, I'd rather a guy act on his beliefs than opinion polls.
ImageImage
absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

enter your username wrote:That's the reason for allowing late term abortions and the conditions under which Medicaid funding can be used for abortions. It's not the "main defense" (LOL) for 1st trimester abortions. The reason they are allowed is because the word "liberty" in the 14th amendment limits the ability of states to restrict birth control.
no, anytime abortion comes up that's the first thing that gets thrown out there.
and 'the woman should have a right to her own body' is the the second defense that's misconstrued..
makes it sound like a woman cares about her body and her life.
how did she get into a situation about an unplanned pregnancy and not want to have a baby?

birth control, hello!
how many contraceptives are out there?
something to think about, none protect against all sexually transmitted diseases.
if you can't keep yourself from getting pregnant, how are you protecting yourself from something else?

absolutely fabulous
Headlining Clubs

i was livid about the shiavo incident,

the husband could have given up, walked away and let her parents to the care.

why didn't he?