MOTHER GOOSE & GRIM...

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Cliffenstein
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

MOTHER GOOSE & GRIM...

Post by Cliffenstein »

Grim Dems await huge House losses
Alex Isenstadt / Politico / October 31, 2010

(There's little left for Joe Biden and other Dems to do but wait for the expected losses of Election Day.)

The last TV ads have been cut. The final polls have been conducted. The end-of-campaign expenditures are being made.

Now, for Democratic consultants and campaign officials who have plotted and strategized for months to preserve the embattled House majority, there's nothing left to do but sit and wait for the expected horrors of Election Day to unfold.

There is nearly uniform consensus among Democratic campaign professionals that the House is gone — the only question, it seems, is how many seats they will lose.

While few will say so on the record for fear of alienating party officials or depressing turnout, every one of nearly a dozen Democratic House consultants and political strategists surveyed expect a GOP majority to be elected Tuesday — the consensus was that Democrats would lose somewhere between 50 and 60 seats.

A senior party consultant who was on the low end with his predictions said the party would lose between 40 and 50 seats. On the high end, one Democratic consultant said losses could number around 70 seats.

All spoke to the grimness of the mood.

"It sucks," said Dave Beattie, a Florida-based Democratic pollster who is working on a slate of competitive House races and who acknowledges that the lower congressional chamber is lost. "I'm resigned to the fact that it sucks."

While there was optimistic talk within party circles early this month that the electoral environment was improving for the party, the operatives said those conversations don't take place anymore.

"If some Democratic consultant told you they are feeling better, they must have dropped some heavy drugs," said a senior pollster who is working for candidates in competitive races. "It's hard."

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee this week launched something of a last-ditch offensive to save some of its incumbents, purchasing airtime to defend endangered members like Iowa Rep. Dave Loebsack, Illinois Rep. Bill Foster and New Jersey Rep. John Adler — all of whom are highly vulnerable but whom party officials believe could ultimately prevail.

The committee also sought to shore up incumbents who until recently were not thought to be in electoral peril: Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva, Iowa Rep. Bruce Braley and North Carolina Rep. Mike McIntyre.

Still, among those in the Democratic consulting class, there's a gloomy acknowledgment that many of the incumbents the DCCC has spent millions of dollars to protect won't be coming back to Congress.

"Everybody that is tied will lose, and everyone that is ahead by a few points will lose because of the GOP wave," said one party media consultant who is involved in a wide array of House races. "There are going to be some surprises."

Some strategists have resigned themselves to an election night that will bring an early end to the promising careers of Democrats they shepherded to victories in 2006 and 2008.

"In a wave election, part of the problem is that you feel powerless. Everything I feel I know how to do, that I'm trained to do, I can't do. And that feeling is pervasive," said the pollster. "There's a sense that there's nothing you can do about it. When you know your friends are on the chopping block, it's hard."

"There's nothing worse than talking to an incumbent member of Congress who's been cut off by the DCCC and who has no money," said another Democratic consultant who has worked on crafting some of the party’s TV ads this cycle. "It's like talking to a dead man walking."

But Nov. 2 will also bring a welcome end to a rough final stretch that left many party strategists frustrated. Some talked about having to switch campaign strategies multiple times in hapless attempts to raise rock-bottom poll numbers.

"It's a 24-hour labor," said John Anzalone, an Alabama-based pollster who works closely with the DCCC. "In 2006 and 2008, everything was going your way. This is brutal."

There is ongoing debate within Democratic circles about when, exactly, the party lost its handle on the electoral environment. Some consultants say they realized they lost the House in early October, when it finally became apparent that incumbents couldn't move their poll numbers.

But others say the electoral map hardened this spring, after the House passed a health care bill that remains deeply unpopular among voters. Democratic campaign officials say it is no accident that there are few Democrats in moderate-to-conservative districts who have promoted their support for the health care measure on the campaign trail, and most don't even acknowledge it.

"To a lot of folks, it was a symbol of government," said Beattie, the Florida-based pollster. "It's not about the content for most voters."

Already, the finger-pointing is beginning. With outside conservative groups pouring millions of dollars into races across the country, some operatives singled out liberal interest groups for not engaging in the election.

"If there's one person to blame, it's the liberal groups who said they would get involved early but they didn't," said the media consultant. "I think they’ve been totally unhelpful."

But, most of the consultants said, much of the post-election scrutiny would surround President Barack Obama and a White House political operation that over the past two years struggled to sell an ambitious agenda that turned out to be radioactive to a wide swath of the electorate.

"Here's the part of this that bothers me the most: This is not an embracing of Republicans. It's a rejection of Democrats," said Andrew Myers, a veteran Democratic pollster who worked on several House campaigns.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Re: MOTHER GOOSE & GRIM...

Post by tin00can »

Wow, another cut/paste with no comments from the Cliffinator.

Do you have any thoughts of your own?
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

tin00can wrote:Wow, another cut/paste with no comments from the Cliffinator.

Come on, man! I initially straight post an article. People can comment or not. The mere fact that I post the article is me making a point.

I'm lookin' forward to tomorrow.
CrouchingStonerHiddenBong
Queen Bee

Post by CrouchingStonerHiddenBong »

Great thoughts, man.
tym wrote:She makes My air head 11 year old Girl look like Nikita Tesla.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

The Democrats are weak as hell, man, but if I was in your country I just couldn't vote Republican no matter what. Might as well ask me to stop believing in the divinity of that nutty Korean dude, what's his name?

But the Democrats are definitely weak. Terrible PR. And in these campaigns it seems like sometimes they think taking the high road is going to do the trick despite evidence to the contrary. Sell yourself and make the other guy look like an idiot! If you're up against a Teabagger you've got no excuse.

I saw Jimmy Carter said that the Republicans winning the House could be a good thing because it'll mean that unlike for the last two years, they'll actually have to govern responsibly in at least some capacity. Maybe that's true; I have no idea. :lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Murray...it ain't a PR or messaging problem for the Democrats. It's a policy problem.
vlad
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by vlad »

Cliffenstein wrote:Murray...it ain't a PR or messaging problem for the Democrats. It's a policy problem.

The weird thing? The GOP had fucking years to fix the policy. They lost and NOW they want to fix the policy?

Actually in the old days, there were some pretty sane Republicans. I voted for GOP Senators and my state had a legendary GOP Governor.

It's the pandering to the crazy element of American society that freaks me right out. I mean, for Christ's sake...nutters like Rand Paul and that no-sex freakazoid in Delaware...that isn't policy...that's just bug fcuk nuts bullshit. It is the end result of the Reagan "revolution" and Lee Atwater's own PR revolution. It is acceptable in this country to act like a stupid hillbilly fuck. In fact, it's a bonus.

It really concerns me, science and intelligence are suspect....it concerns me that crazy wankers like the Texas school board get to heavily influence education in this country...remember them, the ones who voted to take Thomas Jefferson out of textbooks and replace him with John Calvin?

If it was only about "policy" you might have a point, but it isn't. And you don't. So, this country declines in education and quality of life and and people like the Tea Party bitch about tax cuts for the rich. and a mosque NEAR Ground Zero (always forgetting if they ever even knew, that there actually was a mosque AT Ground Zero, in one of the towers. Of course this country was torn apart over a blow job, we are fucking crazy.

It's the fucking proud to be stupid that literally makes me cry. Seriously.
My bubbie, king of the hill 1999-2013
LJP 2002-2014

Quick beats in an icy heart
Catch colt draws a coffin cart
There he goes and now here she starts
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

I am REALLY pissed about the GOP attempt to oust Democratic Congressman Gene Taylor of the 4th District here in Mississippi. Gene is not exactly a hardcore Leftist. He's a Blue Dog, endorsed by the NRA, 20 years of service and his goal is always to help the people of his district. What a concept, huh?

The whole anti-Taylor campaign is based on the fact that he voted for Pelosi for Speaker. I think he's gonna keep his seat, but the campaign has been disgusting mudslinging. The GOP candidate, Steven Pallazzo, did his best to avoid a debate with Taylor - he was finally forced into it last Friday and what a fucking idiot. Proven wrong on factual matters, he literally sputtered and had nothing to say back when owned.

But this state is so stupidly Republican with its so-called small-government ethos. Meanwhile we probably receive more Federal money per capita than any other state. A state full of stupid wannabe rich people who are actually poor and getting assistance, consistently voting against their best interests.
Queen Bee

The fact that anyone in this country still believes that a group of politicians will make their lives better based solely on party affiliation makes me laugh really hard.

Having said that, you know disgusts me most about the Dems/Obama Supporters of Elections Past right now? That they would desert the very man who inspired a nation to get up off their asses and vote in the name of change, only to take their balls and go home when he didn't make their special interest group his pet cause or when they found out that the change had to start at home.

We have a nation of lazy fucks who not only believe that the government will make things better for them, but feel entitled to it. I know it's become trite at this point, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

tin00can wrote:Wow, another cut/paste with no comments from the Cliffinator.

No. He has the same capacity for generating orignal thoughts as a lombotimized retard.
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Crazy Levi wrote:No. He has the same capacity for generating orignal thoughts as a lombotimized retard.
Well, you've certainly shown yourself to be one possessing great intellect.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:The fact that anyone in this country still believes that a group of politicians will make their lives better based solely on party affiliation makes me laugh really hard.
Perfectly put.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

CrouchingStonerHiddenBong wrote:The fact that anyone in this country still believes that a group of politicians will make their lives better based solely on party affiliation makes me laugh really hard.

Having said that, you know disgusts me most about the Dems/Obama Supporters of Elections Past right now? That they would desert the very man who inspired a nation to get up off their asses and vote in the name of change, only to take their balls and go home when he didn't make their special interest group his pet cause or when they found out that the change had to start at home.

We have a nation of lazy fucks who not only believe that the government will make things better for them, but feel entitled to it. I know it's become trite at this point, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

By and larges, you're gonna get by on your own gumption. If you go out there and bust your ass, chances are fairly decent you'll do OK.

People have been suckered by politicians promising change ever since the country started. They always fall for it because it sounds so sweet and easy.
Pill
Headlining Clubs

Post by Pill »

I read a story today that said poll results are likely skewed to the right as more SOOPER EVIL LIBERALS are giving up their land lines for a cell-only life.
Cliffenstein

Post by Cliffenstein »

Pill wrote:I read a story today that said poll results are likely skewed to the right as more SOOPER EVIL LIBERALS are giving up their land lines for a cell-only life.
We'll find out tomorrow night!
Queen Bee

tin00can wrote:By and larges, you're gonna get by on your own gumption. If you go out there and bust your ass, chances are fairly decent you'll do OK.

Yeah, the survival instinct is a funny thing - it's just enough to keep motherfuckers' hands out and subservient.