UCLA students compare feminism to white supremacy

Post your thoughts and comments on terrorism, war, and political shit like that.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Endless Yodel
Debut Album Goes Gold

UCLA students compare feminism to white supremacy

Post by Endless Yodel »

From The Onion--wait, no, a legit news source.
University of California, Los Angeles students were treated to a dinner dialogue this month on the topic of “white feminism” and its relation to white supremacy.

The "White Feminism" dinner dialogue was hosted by the campus Intergroup Relations Program, an administrative center that seeks to educate the UCLA community on issues of “social identity, interpersonal, and intergroup relations/conflict, prejudice reduction, and social justice.”

Celia Cody-Carrese, an Intergroup Relations Center intern who helped put on the event, told The Daily Bruin that organizers chose white feminism as their topic because they think feminism has traditional ties with white supremacy, noting that the term “feminism” is most frequently applied to white women, while the concerns of black women are generally treated as a separate, racial issue.
That somewhere a social justice warrior is telling a feminist of pallor to check her privilege is a thought that will amuse me on dark days. Pass the popcorn.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8450
sirrloin wrote: There is a difference between show tunes appreciation and musical theater. If you don't know the difference, you're not very educated.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: UCLA students compare feminism to white supremacy

Post by poisonheart »

Endless Yodel wrote:From The Onion--wait, no, a legit news source.
University of California, Los Angeles students were treated to a dinner dialogue this month on the topic of “white feminism” and its relation to white supremacy.

The "White Feminism" dinner dialogue was hosted by the campus Intergroup Relations Program, an administrative center that seeks to educate the UCLA community on issues of “social identity, interpersonal, and intergroup relations/conflict, prejudice reduction, and social justice.”

Celia Cody-Carrese, an Intergroup Relations Center intern who helped put on the event, told The Daily Bruin that organizers chose white feminism as their topic because they think feminism has traditional ties with white supremacy, noting that the term “feminism” is most frequently applied to white women, while the concerns of black women are generally treated as a separate, racial issue.
That somewhere a social justice warrior is telling a feminist of pallor to check her privilege is a thought that will amuse me on dark days. Pass the popcorn.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8450
Campusreform is not a "legit" news source - unless, of course, you think that legit news sources usually carry banners with slogans like "Stop #LiberalPrivilege" on them. These are the same folk advocating "dangerous professor" watchlists, which is nothing short of 21st Century McCarthyism.

Aside from the sensationalist reference to "white supremacy" (that doesn't actually appear anywhere in the posted organizational materials for the talk), there doesn't seem to be anything to see here. Whether "traditional" feminism has or has not been blind to the purportedly unique concerns of women of color is a legitimate academic debate about the history of a social movement. (It's not one that interests me in the slightest, but that's of no relevance). Academics routinely discuss much more arcane (and/or inflammatory) issues than this.

So pass the popcorn, I guess, but only if you're in the mood for My Dinner with Andre.
Endless Yodel
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Endless Yodel »

Mitali Gupta, a UCLA senior who attended the event, told Campus Reform that feminism’s link to white supremacy was indeed discussed during the meeting, adding that she agrees that such a connection exists.

“As a woman of color I was curious to know what ‘white feminism’ really was,” Gupta explained.

Other topics discussed during the dinner dialogue included European patriarchy, subjugation during the colonial era, and intersectional feminism.
This story caught my attention because of a lot of unrest happening at my alma mater as well. And I was encouraged: for a moment I thought UCLA was slacking and that their students were starting to sort out that supremacy was supremacy, no matter the kind.

As we near the most holy season of the year, namely Festivus, it's fitting that these people are opening themselves to the central tradition and ceremony of the season: the airing of grievances. In the immortal words of the founder of Festivus, Frank Costanza, "I got a lot of problems with you people and now you're gonna hear about it."
sirrloin wrote: There is a difference between show tunes appreciation and musical theater. If you don't know the difference, you're not very educated.
poisonheart
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by poisonheart »

Don't get me wrong, I concur that any "connection" to legit white supremacy movements is tenuous at best. I guess I just see a thousand fliers for stuff like this every day. There's one for a similar talk hanging on the door of my department (Philosophy) right now. But that's the double edged sword of academic freedom. If you want to allow for the open exchange of ideas, you have to put up with the glut of silly and/or navel-gazing shit that's inevitably going to result. It also entails that other academics are going to be equally free to - and presumably will - call it out for what it is - i.e., nonsense.

But I'm all for the airing of grievances!
Endless Yodel
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Endless Yodel »

poisonheart wrote:Don't get me wrong, I concur that any "connection" to legit white supremacy movements is tenuous at best. I guess I just see a thousand fliers for stuff like this every day. There's one for a similar talk hanging on the door of my department (Philosophy) right now. But that's the double edged sword of academic freedom. If you want to allow for the open exchange of ideas, you have to put up with the glut of silly and/or navel-gazing shit that's inevitably going to result. It also entails that other academics are going to be equally free to - and presumably will - call it out for what it is - i.e., nonsense.
Mainly I worry about the

But I'm all for the airing of grievances!
And it's Festivus year-round on Sludge. :lol: