Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

For musicians looking to join other bands or for trying to find people to join their bands.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 am

My son is 15 and has been playing drums (he has a teacher, can sight read, captain of the drumline at school, is the percussionist for the jazz band at school) for 8 years. He just got a new Gretsch 6 piece Set which he is thrilled about. He is serious about playing and I of course want to encourage him to play.

I am not much of a drummer, I just like to play to track on the ipod, and I need help with a piece of equipment. He wants a double bass pedal. I am willing to get him one, but I need some advice as to what to look at. Looking to spend about $250-$300. What are your recommendations.
User avatar
David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar
Posts: 10015
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby David_Lee_Halen » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:57 am

Is this going to be a surprise or will you be with him when you buy it? My recommendation is that he tries out a bunch of pedals in your price range at the music store. They should let him adjust it any way he likes, along with any advice that they have to offer. (Though keep in mind that they're shooting for the upsell) Do not be swayed by brand name marketing. It's all a game to the companies on getting in drummers heads and making them decide what they want before they've tried anything. He should take his time and try to figure it out correctly. If he's 15 and has the experience that you say he has, then with choosing the pedal in this manner, he will make the right decision.
Image
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 am

Axis Longboards. You asked. I told.

They're going to pitch you DWs right off the bat. Probably 7000s, 9000s. Tell them you want the Axis pedals. Watch the look in their eyes and know you've made the right choice.

When they try to continue any further pitches, rebut with: Shannon Larkin, formerly of Wrathchild America (and some shitty band called Godsmack or something, and a bunch of others) plays with Axis pedals, and if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for yer boy. Then rub that little rapscallion's head about a bit, muss his hair up. And let him kick the salesman in the shin.

Or do what DLH said. Whatever, dude. It's no big deal. Just pedals. (Get Axis) My last name is Axis, are you getting the hint?
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

Friend ended up giving me an Iron Cobra. He loves it. Thanks for all the input.
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 am

I wrote all that shit for nothing?! That's the last time I try to help your sorry ass! :lol:
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 pm

DavidLeeHalen, IDK about you, but I feel shit on. You should probably feel shit on moreso, because you are the drum guy, for real. And you went out of your way, and your advice is just dust in the dang old wind, man. "Thanks for the input you took the time to write, which I totally disregarded (maybe didn't even read)."

There's no way this asshole even READ my input. Or at the least he already had the Iron Cobra! When you start a thread like this, you are obligated to let everyone know when it's done, as SOON as it is done, so people don't waste time trying to help someone who won't take help.

GEEZ, BlumpinKing. I feel like I'm talking to my four year old son here. WRONG! BAD! WE DO NOT DO THAT IN THIS HOUSE!
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Woosh wrote:DavidLeeHalen, IDK about you, but I feel shit on. You should probably feel shit on moreso, because you are the drum guy, for real. And you went out of your way, and your advice is just dust in the dang old wind, man. "Thanks for the input you took the time to write, which I totally disregarded (maybe didn't even read)."

There's no way this asshole even READ my input. Or at the least he already had the Iron Cobra! When you start a thread like this, you are obligated to let everyone know when it's done, as SOON as it is done, so people don't waste time trying to help someone who won't take help.

GEEZ, BlumpinKing. I feel like I'm talking to my four year old son here. WRONG! BAD! WE DO NOT DO THAT IN THIS HOUSE!


I read everything. Why would I buy though if a friend happened to give me something for my son? We went to a couple of places as suggested and tried them out, but once someone offers you something should I have turned it down. No. You would have not down a like new pedal either.

The thread had not been commented on in a couple of weeks and I quite frankly forgot until you posted.

I'll go stand in the corner dad.

Again, thanks for everyone's opinion. Sorry pops I wasted your time.
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I hope your son enjoys the pedals. When/if he outgrows them, maybe you can return to this thread, and take up DLH or myself on that advice. I was legit trying to help you. Axis pedals are great, DWs are fine too. Iron Cobras are ok for what they are; if he's just starting out and getting a feel for it himself, it's perfectly fine. I'd say you got a heckuva deal, actually! Saved a ton of scratch, that's for sure!

I was also legit just busting your balls and pulling your leg, I hope you didn't think I would talk to another man in such a condescending manner, I was just legit bummed out that no sooner had I finished writing a well-thought out suggestion, you come in (a mere few hours later) and say, basically, "NVM, friend gave him a pedal. I'm good. thx for input." Surely you could understand how I would feel like I just wasted my fucking time on this shit. Because, for one, like you said, the friend gave him a pedal a while back, so you already HAD a pedal when you still had a thread open ASKING FOR A PEDAL! And, no, I suppose you shouldnt have to remember every thread you start, but you obviously noticed something, because you posted right after my post! It felt like you were taunting me.

I forgive you son, and I love you. You do not have to stand in the corner, but no dessert after dinner! :wink:
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Woosh wrote:I hope your son enjoys the pedals. When/if he outgrows them, maybe you can return to this thread, and take up DLH or myself on that advice. I was legit trying to help you. Axis pedals are great, DWs are fine too. Iron Cobras are ok for what they are; if he's just starting out and getting a feel for it himself, it's perfectly fine. I'd say you got a heckuva deal, actually! Saved a ton of scratch, that's for sure!

I was also legit just busting your balls and pulling your leg, I hope you didn't think I would talk to another man in such a condescending manner, I was just legit bummed out that no sooner had I finished writing a well-thought out suggestion, you come in (a mere few hours later) and say, basically, "NVM, friend gave him a pedal. I'm good. thx for input." Surely you could understand how I would feel like I just wasted my fucking time on this shit. Because, for one, like you said, the friend gave him a pedal a while back, so you already HAD a pedal when you still had a thread open ASKING FOR A PEDAL! And, no, I suppose you shouldnt have to remember every thread you start, but you obviously noticed something, because you posted right after my post! It felt like you were taunting me.

I forgive you son, and I love you. You do not have to stand in the corner, but no dessert after dinner! :wink:


I subscribed to topic which is how I returned a comment quickly. I actually really do appreciate all of the opinions that were shared. I wasn't taunting you, but thanking you and everyone else. Perhaps I could have worded it better, but I am sincere.

I would hate for anyone to waste their time on sludge. :D
User avatar
David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar
Posts: 10015
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby David_Lee_Halen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am

Eh, I'm cool with the fact that his son got a pedal from a friend. The Iron Cobra will suit him just fine. Now if everybody just bought a piece of drum merchandise from me, there would be no war. But only if it was purchased from me. My case in point is, most drum merchandise is not purchased from me, and the world is full of war. This could all be avoided, because all of my drum merchandise has been given my peaceful blessing, and as a result, elevates the drummer to a higher conscience of peace and love, instead of conflict and discord.
Image
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:28 pm

So Blumpkin, is your boy still fucking around with those drums? Or did we ALL waste our time with this? :lol:

Not to mention your money, lol!
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:20 pm

He is still playing. He has been working on that double bass pedal a lot. It has been a challenge to learn it after using a single pedal up until a few months ago, but is sticking with it.

Money not wasted. After 9 years of playing he is quite good. I am happy to keep paying for lessons. His drum teacher, who graduated from Berklee School of Music, thinks he should apply there next year when he is a senior. We'll see. He kills Jazz. He kills rock. His metal skills are really solid and the double bass pedal is helping a lot. He prefers Jazz.

So no, your time was not wasted on sludge - this time.
User avatar
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Woosh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Good to hear! If he's already kicking ass at drums ask him to think long and hard about studying at Berklee or any music school for that matter. That is all.

I know you are proud, as well you should be Good for him.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Image
User avatar
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs
Posts: 2717
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby Blumpkin King » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Woosh wrote:Good to hear! If he's already kicking ass at drums ask him to think long and hard about studying at Berklee or any music school for that matter. That is all.

I know you are proud, as well you should be Good for him.


He loves it, but I would have a hard time wanting him to go to music school. He is looking at all big schools, both in state and out. I work in the film industry and I kind of think of them (Music and Film) as the same in some way. It is very difficult to get in and when you do there is always someone that wants your job. It can be lucrative, but it also takes luck. I know plenty of good people that have a hard time making a decent living in the film industry. I know it is the same with the music industry. Although that could also be said for any industry. The key is that I'll support him with whatever he wants to do, as long as he is dedicated to it.

And yeah, I am super proud of him. Not only for his music, but for the man he is becoming.
User avatar
David_Lee_Halen
Raw Dogged by Hagar
Posts: 10015
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Drummers Help - recommend me a double bass pedal.

Postby David_Lee_Halen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Blumpkin King wrote:
Woosh wrote:Good to hear! If he's already kicking ass at drums ask him to think long and hard about studying at Berklee or any music school for that matter. That is all.

I know you are proud, as well you should be Good for him.


He loves it, but I would have a hard time wanting him to go to music school. He is looking at all big schools, both in state and out. I work in the film industry and I kind of think of them (Music and Film) as the same in some way. It is very difficult to get in and when you do there is always someone that wants your job. It can be lucrative, but it also takes luck. I know plenty of good people that have a hard time making a decent living in the film industry. I know it is the same with the music industry. Although that could also be said for any industry. The key is that I'll support him with whatever he wants to do, as long as he is dedicated to it.

And yeah, I am super proud of him. Not only for his music, but for the man he is becoming.

8)
Image

Return to “Musicians Wanted Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest