El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Turner Coates »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm
As much as it pains me to offer constructive advice instead of just making fun of you for being too fiddly with your guitars, check the truss rod once the guitar gets acclimated. Put a little slack in, it'll raise the nut in relation to the fingerboard.

I've saved a few acoustics from the junk pile that way.

...there is also a fuckton of lattitude you can get from different acoustic strings. I had one guitar that was shitting out up on the neck, and I got some strings that were close to the usual guage bu higher overall tension that helped quite a bit.

If it's still not good, a lot of times you can have a guy make a taller bridge insert for fairly low $$$.
Cool. I probably will loosen the truss rod a tad. I'm just waiting to see if it stabilizes after going back to the 50-60 zone. I got the small room up to 54% humidity right away. The buzz is nearly gone from the Breedlove. The banger Ovation is a tiny bit better, but hell, it's a cheap,thin wooden top attached to a plastic bowl, so it's a totally different animal. It may not EVER wanna play nice again.
The Breedlove is strung with their recommended gauge (.012-.053), but I'll check around to see about some higher tension strings. Dang.......two sets of strings I ordered just arrived today.
I'm trying to avoid a setup from someone else, if I can. I'm hoping the small, climate controlled room is the answer.
So far, it's looking good.

"If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blond, bad-built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?"
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Turner Coates wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:09 pm
Sleek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm
As much as it pains me to offer constructive advice instead of just making fun of you for being too fiddly with your guitars, check the truss rod once the guitar gets acclimated. Put a little slack in, it'll raise the nut in relation to the fingerboard.

I've saved a few acoustics from the junk pile that way.

...there is also a fuckton of lattitude you can get from different acoustic strings. I had one guitar that was shitting out up on the neck, and I got some strings that were close to the usual guage bu higher overall tension that helped quite a bit.

If it's still not good, a lot of times you can have a guy make a taller bridge insert for fairly low $$$.
Cool. I probably will loosen the truss rod a tad. I'm just waiting to see if it stabilizes after going back to the 50-60 zone. I got the small room up to 54% humidity right away. The buzz is nearly gone from the Breedlove. The banger Ovation is a tiny bit better, but hell, it's a cheap,thin wooden top attached to a plastic bowl, so it's a totally different animal. It may not EVER wanna play nice again.
The Breedlove is strung with their recommended gauge (.012-.053), but I'll check around to see about some higher tension strings. Dang.......two sets of strings I ordered just arrived today.
I'm trying to avoid a setup from someone else, if I can. I'm hoping the small, climate controlled room is the answer.
So far, it's looking good.
“Ooh, it plays all nice, it would be a shame if the dryness gets it,,”

You know what plays nice? A BC Rich Ironbird painted bright yellow. Like the guitar version of what Johnny Rod had. get one of those. You’ll be shredding sickass WASP riffs weather it’s wet or dry out. And if ladies are in the room, it’s gonna be wet...
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Guitar monkeys is the craziest people.

"If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blond, bad-built butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?"
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:52 pm “Ooh, it plays all nice, it would be a shame if the dryness gets it,,”

You know what plays nice? A BC Rich Ironbird painted bright yellow. Like the guitar version of what Johnny Rod had. get one of those. You’ll be shredding sickass WASP riffs weather it’s wet or dry out. And if ladies are in the room, it’s gonna be wet...
The only problem is that if you are playing acoustic, the real acoustic is totally going to slay the Ironbird~wussy little thing would need an amp to keep up!

I mean sure...it would LOOK louder...
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:25 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:52 pm “Ooh, it plays all nice, it would be a shame if the dryness gets it,,”

The only problem is that if you are playing acoustic, the real acoustic is totally going to slay the Ironbird~wussy little thing would need an amp to keep up!

I mean sure...it would LOOK louder...
'Xactly. And what's more important? Looking good or sounding good? That was rhetoricl. Gotta look slick for the babes.

pwnt.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Just pulled the trigger on this

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:04 pm Just pulled the trigger on this
Is it a love gun?
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
VinnieVincentsVag

Mojo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:10 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:04 pm Just pulled the trigger on this
Is it a love gun?
I’ll find out tomorrow
scottsota
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by scottsota »

Congrats!!!
VinnieVincentsVag

scottsota wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:09 pm Congrats!!!
Ty!
Have you used one?
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

https://adservice.google.com/ddm/clk/44 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Okay, it looks like Gibson has finally completely lost their fucking minds. I had to check this out because every Led Zeppelin fan has had a distant fantasy of owning one of these but what's the deal on the price? This site has it for $13,300 but the MSRP on it is... almost fucking $19,000! Who is actually going to buy a 20,000 dollar production guitar?

On top of that, it's supposedly a 1966 replica so these idiots put buckle rash all over the back of it! You clean out the bank account for a guitar and it's purposefully damaged! I know the whole fake vintage ruse but you figure THAT kind of money would at least get you a well-kept fake vintage guitar. What. The. Fuck?

ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

That critter needs to come with a full length mirror and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

exitflagger wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pmWho is actually going to buy a 20,000 dollar production guitar?
Fuck that shit! for that money, you could have Randy Piper's actual guitar!
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 pm
exitflagger wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pmWho is actually going to buy a 20,000 dollar production guitar?
Fuck that shit! for that money, you could have Randy Piper's actual guitar!
Pipes and all
The power of Sludge compels you.
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

exitflagger wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pm https://adservice.google.com/ddm/clk/44 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Okay, it looks like Gibson has finally completely lost their fucking minds. I had to check this out because every Led Zeppelin fan has had a distant fantasy of owning one of these but what's the deal on the price? This site has it for $13,300 but the MSRP on it is... almost fucking $19,000! Who is actually going to buy a 20,000 dollar production guitar?

On top of that, it's supposedly a 1966 replica so these idiots put buckle rash all over the back of it! You clean out the bank account for a guitar and it's purposefully damaged! I know the whole fake vintage ruse but you figure THAT kind of money would at least get you a well-kept fake vintage guitar. What. The. Fuck?

What in god's good land is going on there? 13K????????????

Let me get this straight....ignoring the insane price and guitar design, each guitar is set up exactly the same, but one has 12 strings....and one has 6 strings ?

Wouldn't you want different pickups/setup on the 12 string to create an acoustic vs electric type of vibe??

There is no way they sell all 125 of those pieces of shit. Those headstocks have a hard time keeping 6 strings in tune at once, imagine 18.

On top of all of that, some cum-guzzler had to go scratch up the 13K piece of shit....
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Got a nice little cheap Squire Telecaster for Christmas. I plan on getting a few tweaks done on it at the same time as I get it set up. The main change I want to make is to change out the bridge pickup. I don't care much about the neck pickup but if I find a good deal on a set of both I might go for it.

I need some recommendations if anybody here knows a good pickup that'll do what I want. The stock pickup has a lot of attack and ring but the midrange or the body of the sound is sorely lacking. I don't have any need for high gain or high output with this, what I'm mostly looking for is to maintain the bright twangy aspect but fill in the mids. Hopefully with good detail and clarity. It seems like the Duncan Antiquity line is the right sound but I'm hesitant to put a pickup in that costs more than I paid for the whole guitar. I'm hoping to get some bang for the buck.

TIA for any suggestions.
ImageImage
VinnieVincentsVag

I’ve been putting JBs in my Ibanez guitars lately
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I don't have a specific favorite for teles, but check out the guitar fetish line of GFS pickups. I've put them in several guitars...they are good, cheap and the descriptions of what the pickups are is usually pretty accurate:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Fits-Telereg_c_580.html

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:05 pm I’ve been putting JBs in my Ibanez guitars lately
I actually have a JB laying around. I don't think those come in single coil though.
Sleek wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:11 pm I don't have a specific favorite for teles, but check out the guitar fetish line of GFS pickups. I've put them in several guitars...they are good, cheap and the descriptions of what the pickups are is usually pretty accurate:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Fits-Telereg_c_580.html
That looks pretty good. Good price range. Thanks.
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

They're fairly popular among budget upgrader/builders. If you search around, you'll probably find some suggestions.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

+1 on Guitar Fetish, who usually makes good shit, for the price.
Image Image
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I just nabbed a cute little Danelectro copperburst U2.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Go snap up a Mesa Boogie amp while they're still worth a fuck. Gibson just bought them out.
ImageImage
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Accurate and yet...

1. A joke is not a joke if it's simply stating the truth.
2. Where can you get a Les Paul with like a 40 fret neck?

ImageImage
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Interesting development. Anybody notice that Gibson/Epiphone is inching ever closer to making the shape of their newer headstocks just like the patented Gibson shape? The open book top is there but they've now removed the chamfers at the corners. They long ago changed the more exaggerated hourglass shape too. Not much difference now. Getting closer to that brief pre-merger period where Epi was making full-on lawsuit guitars with the copied headstock shape and bell-shaped truss rod cover, which are the two most proprietary aspects.

I fiddled with one of the newer Epi Les Pauls and they seem to be going downhill in overall quality. Gibson is so fucked up.
ImageImage
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

exitflagger wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:23 am Interesting development. Anybody notice that Gibson/Epiphone is inching ever closer to making the shape of their newer headstocks just like the patented Gibson shape?
The upcoming Gold Glory, Jared James Nichol's signature Epi Les Paul, gets the closest, yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hca6LG1Rqk&t=1s
Image Image