Great songs with awful videos...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Great songs with awful videos...

Post by Mister Freeze »

I nominate 'Til Tuesday "Voices Carry."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Great songs with awful videos...

Post by GoodJudge »

IIRC the traditional answer here is some Billy Squier song but I don't really know or care about him so I'll nominate Red Light, Green Light by The Wildhearts.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6IicMnQNo
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Judas Priest have a bunch of bad ones: Breaking the Law, Locked In, Heading Out to the Highway and Turbo Lover to name a few.

Their only good ones are where they just show the band on stage: JBG, Parental Guidance...
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Don't forget Hot Rockin', which left no doubt Halford was light in the loafers.

For me it's "The Audience is Listening" from Steve Vai. Just an appalling piece of shit for a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O3zC4E1NI
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Journey's "Seperate Ways"
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:27 pm I nominate 'Til Tuesday "Voices Carry."
dmbrocker wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:52 am Journey's "Seperate Ways"
These are both great... the hammy overacting and corny mugging is the kind of cheese that made early MTV great.

Ozzys "The Ultimate Sin" clip was pretty stupid... some sort of half-assed Dallas concept with him as JR Ewing.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Ozzys Bark at the Moon
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

daveg wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:02 am Ozzys Bark at the Moon
Yeah Ozzy is another one. BATM, So Tired, Miracle Man, Crazy Train, TUS... crap. Shot in the Dark was mostly live wasn't it even if it had a demon chick.
JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

Krokus’ “Screaming In The Night”
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

JinglesTheChristmasMouse wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:05 am Krokus’ “Screaming In The Night”
I thought of this also but for me it's bad song, bad video...I never liked that tune, no I did not. Slow, plodding, boring and goes nowhere. Some good wailing by Storace I guess but that's it...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Billy Squier “Rock Me Tonight” is number one.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

TeslaFan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:15 am Billy Squier “Rock Me Tonight” is number one.
Is it a great song though?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:12 am
TeslaFan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:15 am Billy Squier “Rock Me Tonight” is number one.
Is it a great song though?
It's pretty good. Not as guitar-driven as his older stuff, but catchy. Got remembered for the weird video more than its own merits, so...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9a7fb0d5-8 ... e92ee55538
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
EuroJR
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by EuroJR »

The Eye Of The Tiger (overplayed though)
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:27 pm I nominate 'Til Tuesday "Voices Carry."
Going to have to throw Aimee Mann under the bus again and nominate "Time Stand Still" by Rush.

I don't know that it's awful so much as extremely silly, while the song is somewhat poignant. By Rush standards, anyway.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:22 am Judas Priest have a bunch of bad ones: Breaking the Law, Locked In, Heading Out to the Highway and Turbo Lover to name a few.

Their only good ones are where they just show the band on stage: JBG, Parental Guidance...
What I was going to say...
Maalsa
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Maalsa »

Dorken - Breaking the Chains
"Golf... it's a boring game for boring people"
-George Carlin (1990-something)
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:18 pm
Going to have to throw Aimee Mann under the bus again and nominate "Time Stand Still" by Rush.

I don't know that it's awful so much as extremely silly, while the song is somewhat poignant. By Rush standards, anyway.
This is my sentimental favourite Rush album, but yes, this is a silly video. I couldn't even remember the video, to be honest. I had to look it up.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
dweezil

Post by dweezil »

DiamondDog wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:21 am
Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:18 pm

This is my sentimental favourite Rush album, but yes, this is a silly video. I couldn't even remember the video, to be honest. I had to look it up.
It's really dumb green-screen bullshit. Probably shot in all of an hour in some public access TV studio when both Rush and Til Tuesday happened to be in the same town at the same time.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

The latest Megadeth record has great music, but absolutely shit videos.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Queensryche - Queen of the Reich
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:39 am
JinglesTheChristmasMouse wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:05 am Krokus’ “Screaming In The Night”
I thought of this also but for me it's bad song, bad video...I never liked that tune, no I did not. Slow, plodding, boring and goes nowhere. Some good wailing by Storace I guess but that's it...
Sums up Krokus full stop.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Babydoll

Post by Babydoll »

Yep! Great song, but the video is so cheezy.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Anything by Grim Reaper. One of the best metal bands ever, but the videos did them no favors.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm Anything by Grim Reaper. One of the best metal bands ever, but the videos did them no favors.
Did ANY British metal band in the 80s have non-crap videos that weren't straight up live performances? Reaper, Maiden, Priest, Gillan, Saxon... nope.

Sabbath gets a free pass for The Shining, but that's about it.

Edit: Whitesnake doesn't count, at least not Kalodnersnake.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 pm Anything by Grim Reaper. One of the best metal bands ever, but the videos did them no favors.
Grim Reaper's videos were definitely good for a laugh when Beavis and Butthead made fun of them.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Yankee Rose.

The over the top studio performance video isn`t really a good visualisation of the song. Wish they had some outdoors shots from NYC or something.
They could have had much wider appeal without the awkward outfits and Dave shoving his ass on the camera :)

They should have used actual live footage of that great stage for the second single.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

kanister wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:23 am Yankee Rose.

The over the top studio performance video isn`t really a good visualisation of the song. Wish they had some outdoors shots from NYC or something.
They could have had much wider appeal without the awkward outfits and Dave shoving his ass on the camera :)
I thought the stage and performance were super cool when I was 15. A few years later I started wondering if Dave wasn't actually making fun of cock rock cliches in the video. If the grocery store intro was intentionally humorous, why not the live performance too?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:28 am

I thought the stage and performance were super cool when I was 15. A few years later I started wondering if Dave wasn't actually making fun of cock rock cliches in the video. If the grocery store intro was intentionally humorous, why not the live performance too?
Yes it was Dave going 120% OTT IYF. Agree.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:28 am

Roth is a walking, talking cock rock cliche, so I highly doubt that.