Album battle: Empire vs. Painkiller

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Better album?

Queensrÿche - "Empire"
57%
Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
43%

Total votes: 53
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Album battle: Empire vs. Painkiller

Post by dmbrocker »

Take a trip with me if you will back to the good ol' month of September 1990 and pick your favorite/better of these two albums. It's close for me, but I might have to go with Empire just barely over Halford and Co. here. Has this poll ever been done before, by the way? I'm thinking it may have been years, if so. Oh well. Pick your favorite of these two albums, Sludgers!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Re: Album battle: Empire vs. Painkiller

Post by Wild Obsession »

Empire is the only (and more than enough) Queensrych album I own, and I never got into Judas Priest.

Empire > Painkiller
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Painkiller, for the sheer intensity of the title track and its video.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Empire was the first cd I ever bought, so wins for that reason. Never really got into Priest anyway. A schoolfriend had Unleashed In The Studio but it did nothing for me.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

The first three Ryche albums destroy Painkiller but with Empire (and PL) it's close. Neither of those is my go-to album for the respective band but I listen to Empire more often. So Empire it is.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Empire is terrific. Just like all of Queensryche’s first 5 releases. 6, if you include the EP.

Painkiller is trash. A Touch of Evil is pretty good. The title track is ok. Sounds like Priest trying to be something they aren’t. The rest is filler/shit/garbage.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Empire is dumb. And what's with the title track, complaining how the US underfunds law enforcement?

Painkiller by a billion miles
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Empire
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:17 pm Empire is dumb. And what's with the title track, complaining how the US underfunds law enforcement?

Especially when you consider that the US is grossly overfunding its law enforcement these days (See: George Floyd and similar incidents). My apologies in advance for turning this into a political thread, by the way. Oops!
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:17 pm Empire is dumb. And what's with the title track, complaining how the US underfunds law enforcement?

Prexactly...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

Priest
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:24 am Priest trying to be something they aren’t. The rest is filler/shit/garbage.
If they "wanted" to make it then it IS what they ARE as opposed to the fuck-ass shit you want from them since I know you are the one retard on earth still breathing who likes 80s Pantera over 90s.

Also are you insinuating that you would like Painkiller if some other band did it? I never understood that angle like people say "oh, Load would be a masterpiece by anyone else if it wasn't Metallica".

TL;DR: I respect your opinion and cordially invite you to suck my dick.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

i love 'em both but voted for empire.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Hellbound wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:08 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:24 am Priest trying to be something they aren’t. The rest is filler/shit/garbage.
If they "wanted" to make it then it IS what they ARE as opposed to the fuck-ass shit you want from them since I know you are the one retard on earth still breathing who likes 80s Pantera over 90s.

Also are you insinuating that you would like Painkiller if some other band did it? I never understood that angle like people say "oh, Load would be a masterpiece by anyone else if it wasn't Metallica".

TL;DR: I respect your opinion and cordially invite you to suck my dick.
No. Painkiller, the album, would be crap no matter who recorded it. People just pretend to like it because Priest’s name was attached to it. The fact that Priest tried a different style…and absolutely failed…makes it even worse.

Not only was a shitty album released, we didn’t get a new Priest album.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Neither. They both suck
skinni

Post by skinni »

Painkiller is a much better album.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:34 am
No. Painkiller, the album, would be crap no matter who recorded it. People just pretend to like it because Priest’s name was attached to it. The fact that Priest tried a different style…and absolutely failed…makes it even worse.
Maybe it wouldn’t be crap if all of Priest played on it. Dave Holland and Ian Hill instead of that guy from Racer X on drums and Don Airey playing bass samples on his keyboards.

Was the bass on RiD keyboards too? Always thought it was Glenn and/or KK playing bass when Ian wasn't with them in Denmark but who knows?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Empire.

Judas Priest are one of my favourite bands, but Painkiller ranks about 10th best when it comes to their album releases. Overrated. Sounds so forced.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

pieceofme wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:34 pm Empire.

Judas Priest are one of my favourite bands, but Painkiller ranks about 10th best when it comes to their album releases. Overrated. Sounds so forced.
It's around that for me too, but also I have to admit it was probably their best album in over 30 years - between Turbo (1986) and Firepower (2018). Angel of Retribution is close though. The more I think about it, Priest's drop in quality from Ram It Down and on is Leppard / Queensryche level. It's just the long break after Painkiller and the forgotten (and forgettable) Ripper era that makes it less obvious.
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Recording Debut Album

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

LIVE N' UNCUT