What's tips/tricks have you learned on the road?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

cowpins
Platinum Artist

What's tips/tricks have you learned on the road?

Post by cowpins »

Whether free upgrades, free drinks, getting out of a fight, etc....what tricks / tips have you learned on the road on when traveling?

A friend of mine told me a story of a bouncer roughing up his tour manager after the TM asked for what was on their rider and NOT Taco Bell. The muscle head had his TM against the wall, so my buddy rolled up his sleeve, stuck his arm in the guys face and said, "Hey, man. Wanna buy a watch", which totally flustered the dude and defused the situation. The dude was like, "huhhhhhhh" I love that story. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: What's tips/tricks have you learned on the road?

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Hey, Bono....Wanna buy a watch? :lol: :lol: :lol: That just makes me laugh.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

Fuck the ones that cough.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

No tricks but lots of basic tips…

Travel light
Travel alone (whenever it’s practical)
No caffeine before a flight
Lots of water (or in my case, lots of booze and a LOT of water)
Shower and wear clean loose fitting clothes
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

That’s a good story. Dazzle the dog with a bone and defuse the situation. I like that.
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

If you want more bang for your buck from hotel vending machines, look around for an employee lounge or cafeteria. Vending machines there can be more than 50% cheaper.

When parking a vehicle containing band gear in a hotel lot, if there is a security guard, shake their hand, tip them 20 bucks and point out the vehicle.

Have a "special" door knock to let traveling companions know it's you.
Mine was one hard knock, pause, then two quick knocks (bonk.....bonk, bonk).

Always carry bubble bath in your luggage. It can be a VERY effective romantic ice breaking accessory.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am
Always carry bubble bath in your luggage. It can be a VERY effective romantic ice breaking accessory.
which is why you had a special knock?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

We had a rule…
Each week someone had to hook up with a chick that worked at a restaurant.
Never failed, free food for that week for the entire band.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

cowpins wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:35 pm
Turner Coates wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am
which is why you had a special knock?
It's REAL and it's SPECTACULAR.

PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

If you have a trailer for gear, back it up against a wall or telephone pole or something else that makes it impossible to open the doors.

Hotels have lobby bathrooms that are way cleaner than most gas stations or truck stop if you have to take shit on the road.

This is pretty minor but get a nice Stanley or Yeti style mug if you are a soda drinker. They charge you for a refill instead of full price, if they even charge you anything at all at most gas stations and also water is always free instead of spending $ on bottled water.
Hellbound

Post by Hellbound »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:34 am Image
Have a drink you old cunt.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Roadie shit:

Never lift that which you can drag.

Never drag that which you can roll.

Never roll that which you can have SOMEBODY ELSE move.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Always keep”fans” and people that you meet in front of you when talking. Never let them stand beside you unless its for a quick photo and then get them back in front of you and never travel alone either.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

If you're traveling in a van or truck, a bank (or Shure mic) bag is handy for holding cash / receipts etc.

Beyond that, if you're going to be carrying a lot of cash, get a Halliburton briefcase....and a pair of handcuffs to secure the briefcase to something when necessary.
Don't take the cuffs if flying. They'll confiscate the cuffs....and possibly treat you badly.

Also.....
Sound Person = "Humhead" or "Hum."
Lighting Person = "Squint."

VinnieVincentsVag

Turner Coates wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:44 am If you're traveling in a van or truck, a bank (or Shure mic) bag is handy for holding cash / receipts etc.

Beyond that, if you're going to be carrying a lot of cash, get a Halliburton briefcase....and a pair of handcuffs to secure the briefcase to something when necessary.
Don't take the cuffs if flying. They'll confiscate the cuffs....and possibly treat you badly.

Also.....
Sound Person = "Humhead" or "Hum."
Lighting Person = "Squint."
I would say keep cash on hand.
I left $1,000 in my hotel room once.
It disappeared while we were playing the gig.
PBFSUCKS

Post by PBFSUCKS »

The old keep the cash in the kick drum trick is good for when you’re on stage too.

I haven’t toured with a drummer in years now but we did it all the time.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Our former drummer hid his pot in his cymbal case when flying nobody wanted to tear into that heavy thing and he always checked it in to go in the cargo area
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

keyofgee wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:29 pm Our former drummer hid his pot in his cymbal case when flying nobody wanted to tear into that heavy thing and he always checked it in to go in the cargo area
""""""""""""""Our former drummer hid his pot in his cymbal case when flying nobody wanted to tear into that heavy thing and he always checked it in to go in the cargo area"""""""""""""""""

Anyone flying with Drugs, regardless of when, where, or the amount is an absolute LOSER in my book!

Good way to risk the band's gig(s), the income, the tour and more. Whether flying with it, or traveling with it on the bus, etc...

If you can't go without Pot or Cocaine or other to that extent... please lose yourself from my vicinity.

Mark Michals of Faster Pussycat f#@ked around and found out!

$tEvil
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:44 pm
keyofgee wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:29 pm Our former drummer hid his pot in his cymbal case when flying nobody wanted to tear into that heavy thing and he always checked it in to go in the cargo area
""""""""""""""Our former drummer hid his pot in his cymbal case when flying nobody wanted to tear into that heavy thing and he always checked it in to go in the cargo area"""""""""""""""""

Anyone flying with Drugs, regardless of when, where, or the amount is an absolute LOSER in my book!

Good way to risk the band's gig(s), the income, the tour and more. Whether flying with it, or traveling with it on the bus, etc...

If you can't go without Pot or Cocaine or other to that extent... please lose yourself from my vicinity.

Mark Michals of Faster Pussycat f#@ked around and found out!

$tEvil
we found all this out after the fact. I should have stated that. that on me dude... no one but him was that stupid. also, no longer in the band.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Turner Coates wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am If you want more bang for your buck from hotel vending machines, look around for an employee lounge or cafeteria. Vending machines there can be more than 50% cheaper.

When parking a vehicle containing band gear in a hotel lot, if there is a security guard, shake their hand, tip them 20 bucks and point out the vehicle.

Good until that last one. If I met a guy that had bubble bath on him I'd write him off as a fruit. I'd think he'd try to steal my makeup and accessories while I'm distracted.

On that note, how many of you that wore makeup stole it from girls? Seems that's how they all got it. Makes sense since I couldn't picture any of them going to Walgreens and choosing between CoverGirl and Wet'nWild. I'd learned if I let a guy borrow my eyeliner to stand there with my palm outstretched until he handed it back.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Another thing that I do is when I go out to a restaurant on the road, I only eat hamburgers and have them cooked well done. It's just me but eating anything else like the local cuisine or fish/lobster etc. is just asking for a few bad days of feeling like crap. if it is not cooked properly, you can get very sick. I also only try to drink bottled water. Pack lite. if you have a trailer you are pulling, disk pad locks are good but can still be cut. Park up against a concrete wall so the trailer can't be opened from the rear. We usually kept one guy on the bus incase someone tries to break in to it. Never happened but we never travel over the road without protection. Of course we couldn't fly with protection but we didn't need the trailer. Back line was provided. Never check your guitars in. Carry them on with you in an airplane and store them above your seat.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Don't crap on the bus hahhaha
The power of Sludge compels you.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:17 am
Turner Coates wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:37 am If you want more bang for your buck from hotel vending machines, look around for an employee lounge or cafeteria. Vending machines there can be more than 50% cheaper.

Good until that last one. If I met a guy that had bubble bath on him I'd write him off as a fruit. I'd think he'd try to steal my makeup and accessories while I'm distracted.

On that note, how many of you that wore makeup stole it from girls? Seems that's how they all got it. Makes sense since I couldn't picture any of them going to Walgreens and choosing between CoverGirl and Wet'nWild. I'd learned if I let a guy borrow my eyeliner to stand there with my palm outstretched until he handed it back.
The bubble bath I carried was in a box and got me laid more than Frank Sinatry.

VinnieVincentsVag

keyofgee wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:47 am Another thing that I do is when I go out to a restaurant on the road, I only eat hamburgers and have them cooked well done. It's just me but eating anything else like the local cuisine or fish/lobster etc. is just asking for a few bad days of feeling like crap. if it is not cooked properly, you can get very sick. I also only try to drink bottled water. Pack lite. if you have a trailer you are pulling, disk pad locks are good but can still be cut. Park up against a concrete wall so the trailer can't be opened from the rear. We usually kept one guy on the bus incase someone tries to break in to it. Never happened but we never travel over the road without protection. Of course we couldn't fly with protection but we didn't need the trailer. Back line was provided. Never check your guitars in. Carry them on with you in an airplane and store them above your seat.
We once had a pissed off boyfriend (ex?) cut our truck brake lines because the other guitar player banged her while we were in town.
Flint, Michigan…..I’m aging that.
We did the park against a wall all the time.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

keyofgee wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:47 am Park up against a concrete wall so the trailer can't be opened from the rear
We used to do that, but also pull the distributor cap sometimes so nobody could just hotwire and take the whole truck.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

When using truck stop showers, don't drop more than 3 thing
When fucking in the shower, shampoo is a good lube until the next day
Clear fanny packs don't hide your money
When dining/drinking and dashing, make sure you have a ride
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Don't crank on the Onan in the middle of the night in hotel parking lots.
Someone with an open window trying to sleep will complain and security may show up.

Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Highway Rest Stops are a great place to meat guys.
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Bring everything inside.