Bon Jovi - "Bad Medicine"

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Bon Jovi - "Bad Medicine"

Post by Mister Freeze »

I love this song. But #1?

Did this single deserve to chart that high?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: Bon Jovi - "Bad Medicine"

Post by BDG135 »

Bon Jovi was so hot at the time that anything would have charted high. They sure played it to death on the radio.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

BDG135 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm Bon Jovi was so hot at the time that anything would have charted high. They sure played it to death on the radio.
I remember Born to be My Baby played to death as well. But ya, pretty much anything they released was gonna be huge
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Maybe one less week than it did and one extra week of The Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" at #1, but otherwise, yes it did. In fact, here's the top ten for both weeks that "Bad Medicine" was #1. Judge for yourself if any of these should've kept "Bad Medicine" out of the top spot:

Week 1
1 4 BAD MEDICINE –•– Bon Jovi – 9 (1)
2 1 WILD, WILD WEST –•– The Escape Club – 14 (1)
3 3 THE LOCO-MOTION –•– Kylie Minogue – 13 (3)
4 6 DESIRE –•– U2 – 8 (4)
5 2 KOKOMO –•– The Beach Boys – 12 (1)
6 8 BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY/FREEBIRD –•– Will To Power – 11 (6)
7 9 KISSING A FOOL –•– George Michael – 7 (7)
8 11 HOW CAN I FALL? –•– Breathe – 11 (8)
9 12 LOOK AWAY –•– Chicago – 9 (9)
10 5 ONE MOMENT IN TIME –•– Whitney Houston – 11 (5)

Week 2
1 1 BAD MEDICINE –•– Bon Jovi – 10 (1)
2 6 BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY/FREEBIRD –•– Will To Power – 12 (2)
3 4 DESIRE –•– U2 – 9 (3)
4 8 HOW CAN I FALL? –•– Breathe – 12 (4)
5 7 KISSING A FOOL –•– George Michael – 8 (5)
6 9 LOOK AWAY –•– Chicago – 10 (6)
7 11 I DON’T WANT YOUR LOVE –•– Duran Duran – 7 (7)
8 2 WILD, WILD WEST –•– The Escape Club – 15 (1)
9 13 GIVING YOU THE BEST THAT I GOT –•– Anita Baker – 10 (9)
10 3 THE LOCO-MOTION –•– Kylie Minogue – 14 (3)
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:35 pm Maybe one less week than it did and one extra week of The Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" at #1, but otherwise, yes it did. In fact, here's the top ten for both weeks that "Bad Medicine" was #1. Judge for yourself if any of these should've kept "Bad Medicine" out of the top spot:

Week 1

Week 2
The best song listed. Duran duran would be number 2.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:35 pm Maybe one less week than it did and one extra week of The Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" at #1, but otherwise, yes it did. In fact, here's the top ten for both weeks that "Bad Medicine" was #1. Judge for yourself if any of these should've kept "Bad Medicine" out of the top spot:

Week 1

Week 2

Hmmm.... 1988 is one of the best years ever for music, but these are a couple soft weeks.

"Desire" went to #1 too. Great song. "Wild Wild West" is pretty weak. Beach Boys, Chicago, Whitney Houston and George Michael went to #1 with these singles too. Maybe Anita Baker. I can't remember.

Out of all these songs, "How Can I Fall" ages surprisingly well. Kylie Minogue had her biggest U.S. hit, but she has a zillion better singles that topped the charts overseas.

I'm going to chalk it up to a goofy period in a great year.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:12 pm

Week 1

Week 2

Hmmm.... 1988 is one of the best years ever for music, but these are a couple soft weeks.

"Desire" went to #1 too. Great song. "Wild Wild West" is pretty weak. Beach Boys, Chicago, Whitney Houston and George Michael went to #1 with these singles too. Maybe Anita Baker. I can't remember.

Out of all these songs, "How Can I Fall" ages surprisingly well. Kylie Minogue had her biggest U.S. hit, but she has a zillion better singles that topped the charts overseas.

I'm going to chalk it up to a goofy period in a great year.
You're a bit off on the #1's: "Wild Wild West" hit #1, but Whitney, George, Anita Baker, and U2 didn't with those songs. Chicago, Will to Power, and Beach Boys did. As far as Sludge bands, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" would hit top ten after these two weeks and that one did hit #1...
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

Kokomo is a better song, and that song is fucking stupid.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Awful song. Only in the 80s. :roll:
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:37 pm You're a bit off on the #1's...

Fuck, I need to start taking Prevagen.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Yes it did - hate that song.

But the hook is perfect - so perfect that it was on the radio all the goddamn time.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:17 am Yes it did - hate that song.

But the hook is perfect - so perfect that it was on the radio all the goddamn time.
Alright! One more time...

WITH FEELING!!!
kevind2112
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by kevind2112 »

It was the long anticipated first single off the new album following the massive Slippery When Wet album/tour cycle. They could have released Mary Had a Little Lamb and it would have gone to #1 at that time.

Like it or hate it, it had a massive hook and a sing-along chorus, it was the perfect first single from New Jersey.
"Like I said, you don’t need to go to church to be a Christian. If you go to Taco Bell, that doesn’t make you a taco." - Justin Bieber
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

I want to put my finger on exactly when and why Jon Bonjovi started thinking that he is a cowboy.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

maninblack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 am I want to put my finger on exactly when and why Jon Bonjovi started thinking that he is a cowboy.
When he had a massive hit from a cowboy movie...and wrote the entire soundtrack as if he were a cowboy.

The entire album is awesome btw
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

So he rides on a steel horse?
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

maninblack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:53 am So he rides on a steel horse?
He's a cowboy
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 am

Yeah. Memorizing the #1 songs from the Hot 100 in 1988, there are a lot of hits of varying levels of greatness/enjoyment, IMO. With that, I give you the list, Sludgers:

1. George Michael - "Faith" (1 week/carried over from '87 - Pretty much the end of teeny-bopper Wham! George Michael as we knew it...)

2. Whitney Houston - "So Emotional" (1 week - Back when Whitney and most 80's female pop stars had only two settings, blatant dancefloor filler attempt and teary-eyed pop ballad; this one was the former...)

3. George Harrison - "Got My Mind Set on You" (1 week - The final time to date that a Beatle hit #1 IIRC and Harrison's last truly recognizable hit as a solo artist; very solid!)

4. Michael Jackson - "The Way You Make Me Feel" (1 week - possibly the most famous of Jacko's "hee-hee"'s; another blatant attempt at filling the dancefloors of America, but I enjoy it enough)

5. INXS - "Need You Tonight" (1 week - Michael Hutchence and Co.'s only #1, and a worthy hit)

6. Tiffany - "Could've Been" (2 weeks - File this one under pop ballad, her 2nd and last #1; just okay)

7. Exposé - "Seasons Change" (1 week - Much better pop ballad attempt than Tiffany)

8. George Michael - "Father Figure" (2 weeks - his attempt at adult contemporary sophisti-pop; good, but kind of underwhelming compared to his other '88 hits...)

9. Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" (2 weeks - Of course, everyone on the planet and their grandma knows this one, and it's an awesome classic, IMO)

10. Michael Jackson - "Man in the Mirror" (2 weeks - Jacko's attempt at empathy and personal reflection: Make that change, Sludgers!)

11. Billy Ocean - "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" (2 weeks - 3rd and final #1; Decent combination of dancefloor pop and r&b groove)

12. Whitney Houston - "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (2 weeks - her second ballad to go #1 from that album; kinda meh, but still mildly enjoyable)

13 Terence Trent D'arby - "Wishing Well" (2 weeks - Worthy hit for that iconic whistle-sounding synth hook alone)

14. Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine - "Anything For You" (2 weeks - One of Gloria's best, IMO; she was finally dropping the "Miami Sound Machine" from the name and starting to get billed as a solo artist, too)

15. George Michael - "One More Try" (3 weeks - his best ballad/adult contemporary attempt, IMO...)

16. Rick Astley - "Together Forever" (1 week - All too often overshadowed by the ubiquity of "Never Gonna Give You Up", but still a classic Rick Rolling here...)

17. Debbie Gibson - "Foolish Beat" (1 week - Getting into the summer of '88 and a much better attempt at a teen pop ballad than Tiffany)

18. Michael Jackson - "Dirty Diana" (1 week - Jacko's attempt at imitating Prince (and possibly wooing the late Diana Spencer as well?); My least favorite of his hits from Bad)

19. Cheap Trick - "The Flame" (2 weeks - I'm not exactly surprised it took Diane Warren and a ballad to get these guys past ...Budokan)

20. Richard Marx - "Hold on to the Nights" (1 week - Ol' Dick Marks sure had some solid ballads, didn't he?)

21. Steve Winwood - "Roll With It" (4 weeks - Good song, but I'm not exactly sure it deserved four whole weeks (?!) at the top spot...)

22. George Michael - "Monkey" (2 weeks - Dancefloor synthpop with an adult message; my personal favorite of his #1's from Faith)

23. Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine" (2 weeks - Time for a Sludge band!)

24. Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (2 weeks - Another classic singalong)

25. Def Leppard - "Love Bites" (1 week - Should've stayed on top a bit longer, IMO)

26. UB40 - "Red, Red Wine" (2 weeks - Kinda meh, but I understand why it was a hit...)

27. Phil Collins - "A Groovy Kind of Love" (2 weeks - Meh. I love Phil Collins, but this one was very underwhelming compared to Buster's other single, "Two Hearts", which I absolutely love...)

28. The Beach Boys - "Kokomo" (1 week - Classic cheesy beach singalong, but I like it enough)

29. The Escape Club - "Wild Wild West" (1 week - Very solid new wave pop/rock hit)

30. Bon Jovi - "Bad Medicine" (2 weeks - the subject of this whole damn thread: I dig it!)

31. Will to Power - "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird" (1 week - Decent, if somewhat random, cover medley)

32. Chicago - "Look Away" (2 weeks - Diane Warren strikes again; very good ballad)

33. Poison - "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" (2 weeks/carry over into '89 - The ballad that launched a bajillion long-haired imitators...)
Last edited by dmbrocker on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:17 pm I love this song. But #1?

I love almost every song that was on the charts back then! I don't even recognize any songs on the charts these days. :(

As for Bad Medicine... I have a theory that a lot of songs were big because they were the first single. That is when the album came out so all the old fans bought it right away. It wasn't necessarily because of that one song.

I always felt Born to Be My Baby was the better song and almost a sequel to Livin on a Prayer.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
ALMOSTsaved
Headlining Clubs

Post by ALMOSTsaved »

Okay looking over the list from a previous poster and I'd have to say the following were in STRONG rotation on the pop / light rock station that constantly played in the grocery store that an 18 year old yours truly worked in. Even worse than that after hearing these songs constantly, I'm ashamed to say that some of the actually grew on me... at least, temporarily. Some are still great songs.

1. George Michael - "Faith"

2. Whitney Houston - "So Emotional"

3. George Harrison - "Got My Mind Set on You"

7. Exposé - "Seasons Change"

8. George Michael - "Father Figure"

13 Terence Trent D'arby - "Wishing Well"

16. Rick Astley - "Together Forever"

19. Cheap Trick - "The Flame"

20. Richard Marx - "Hold on to the Nights"

24. Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

26. UB40 - "Red, Red Wine"

27. Phil Collins - "A Groovy Kind of Love"

28. The Beach Boys - "Kokomo"

31. Will to Power - "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird"

32. Chicago - "Look Away"
Last edited by ALMOSTsaved on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I agree with the "mediocre song/anything they released at the time would have been a hit".
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Not a bad song at all. It went to #1 because Bon Jovi could do no wrong in that era. They had a huge amount of momentum. They were MTV darlings and that drove everything during this time.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

dmbrocker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:22 am
Yeah. Memorizing the #1 songs from the Hot 100 in 1988, there are a lot of hits of varying levels of greatness/enjoyment, IMO. With that, I give you the list, Sludgers:

1. George Michael - "Faith" (1 week/carried over from '87 - Pretty much the end of teeny-bopper Wham! George Michael as we knew it...)

2. Whitney Houston - "So Emotional" (1 week - Back when Whitney and most 80's female pop stars had only two settings, blatant dancefloor filler attempt and teary-eyed pop ballad; this one was the former...)

3. George Harrison - "Got My Mind Set on You" (1 week - The final time to date that a Beatle hit #1 IIRC and Harrison's last truly recognizable hit as a solo artist; very solid!)

4. Michael Jackson - "The Way You Make Me Feel" (1 week - possibly the most famous of Jacko's "hee-hee"'s; another blatant attempt at filling the dancefloors of America, but I enjoy it enough)

5. INXS - "Need You Tonight" (1 week - Michael Hutchence and Co.'s only #1, and a worthy hit)

6. Tiffany - "Could've Been" (2 weeks - File this one under pop ballad, her 2nd and last #1; just okay)

7. Exposé - "Seasons Change" (1 week - Much better pop ballad attempt than Tiffany)

8. George Michael - "Father Figure" (2 weeks - his attempt at adult contemporary sophisti-pop; good, but kind of underwhelming compared to his other '88 hits...)

9. Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" (2 weeks - Of course, everyone on the planet and their grandma knows this one, and it's an awesome classic, IMO)

10. Michael Jackson - "Man in the Mirror" (2 weeks - Jacko's attempt at empathy and personal reflection: Make that change, Sludgers!)

11. Billy Ocean - "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" (2 weeks - 3rd and final #1; Decent combination of dancefloor pop and r&b groove)

12. Whitney Houston - "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (2 weeks - her second ballad to go #1 from that album; kinda meh, but still mildly enjoyable)

13 Terence Trent D'arby - "Wishing Well" (2 weeks - Worthy hit for that iconic whistle-sounding synth hook alone)

14. Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine - "Anything For You" (2 weeks - One of Gloria's best, IMO; she was finally dropping the "Miami Sound Machine" from the name and starting to get billed as a solo artist, too)

15. George Michael - "One More Try" (2 weeks - his best ballad/adult contemporary attempt, IMO...)

16. Rick Astley - "Together Forever" (1 week - All too often overshadowed by the ubiquity of "Never Gonna Give You Up", but still a classic Rick Rolling here...)

17. Debbie Gibson - "Foolish Beat" (1 week - Getting into the summer of '88 and a much better attempt at a teen pop ballad than Tiffany)

18. Michael Jackson - "Dirty Diana" (1 week - Jacko's attempt at imitating Prince (and possibly wooing the late Diana Spencer as well?); My least favorite of his hits from Bad)

19. Cheap Trick - "The Flame" (2 weeks - I'm not exactly surprised it took Diane Warren and a ballad to get these guys past ...Budokan)

20. Richard Marx - "Hold on to the Nights" (1 week - Ol' Dick Marks sure had some solid ballads, didn't he?)

21. Steve Winwood - "Roll With It" (4 weeks - Good song, but I'm not exactly sure it deserved four whole weeks (?!) at the top spot...)

22. George Michael - "Monkey" (2 weeks - Dancefloor synthpop with an adult message; my personal favorite of his #1's from Faith)

24. Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (2 weeks - Another classic singalong)

25. Def Leppard - "Love Bites" (1 week - Should've stayed on top a bit longer, IMO)

26. UB40 - "Red, Red Wine" (2 weeks - Kinda meh, but I understand why it was a hit...)

27. Phil Collins - "A Groovy Kind of Love" (2 weeks - Meh. I love Phil Collins, but this one was very underwhelming compared to Buster's other single, "Two Hearts", which I absolutely love...)

28. The Beach Boys - "Kokomo" (1 week - Classic cheesy beach singalong, but I like it enough)

29. The Escape Club - "Wild Wild West" (1 week - Very solid new wave pop/rock hit)

30. Bon Jovi - "Bad Medicine" (2 weeks - the subject of this whole damn thread: I dig it!)

31. Will to Power - "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird" (1 week - Decent, if somewhat random, cover medley)

32. Chicago - "Look Away" (2 weeks - Diane Warren strikes again; very good ballad)

33. Poison - "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" (2 weeks/carry over into '89 - The ballad that launched a bajillion long-haired imitators...)

I love this rundown. I agree the Tiffany ballad and "Dirty Diana" are the weakest of the bunch. I'm surprised the Will To Power thing reached number one - although I heard it recently on the XM '80s channel and it hit me how great the female lead vocal is.

Good call on Expose. If you love '80s pop, that debut album has great songs and production. The Pet Shop Boys openly admit to copping that Miami dance sound for "Domino Dancing."

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:24 pm

I love almost every song that was on the charts back then! I don't even recognize any songs on the charts these days. :(

As for Bad Medicine... I have a theory that a lot of songs were big because they were the first single. That is when the album came out so all the old fans bought it right away. It wasn't necessarily because of that one song.

I always felt Born to Be My Baby was the better song and almost a sequel to Livin on a Prayer.
That theory falls flat with def Leppard and hysteria considering women was a bomb.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
str
Playing Frat Parties

Post by str »

Part of the guitar riff reminded me of "Money For Nothing"
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Bad Medicine was released in ‘88!? Wow. By time l saw the New Jersey tour in August of ‘89 the song was still massive.

As the other poster stated, New Jersey was a total marvel.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Only good song they ever did, my first single I ever bought.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

pieceofme wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:15 pm
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:24 pm

That theory falls flat with def Leppard and hysteria considering women was a bomb.
I thought Def Leppard said that love is like a bomb?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

dmbrocker wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:22 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:15 am

15. George Michael - "One More Try" (2 weeks - his best ballad/adult contemporary attempt, IMO...)

i like every song on that list.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"