Velvet Revolver: "Slither" (live David Letterman Show 2004)

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Velvet Revolver: "Slither" (live David Letterman Show 2004)

Post by ParaDime77 »

Great performance for a late night show. Scott, when fully functional, was one of the best,

https://youtu.be/G_TRMyIC2HU?si=KpKSBvF6XrsSs5fL
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Velvet Revolver: "Slither" (live David Letterman Show 2004)

Post by SterileEyes1 »

^^^ all true facts.

Currently re-reading Duff’s first book and just finished the chapters on how he got fucked up again on this tour but also how damn hard they tried to keep Scott healthy, and how one of a kind and irreplaceable he was.

Watching this kinda bums me out because I miss seeing singers who ‘have it’ going on late night TV without autotune/backing tracks, hitting the occasional pitchy note, and nobody giving a shit because they’re just that good.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BernieTaupson »

Did they tell him to impersonate Axl or did he just do it naturally?
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Pretty sure I read slash admitting he was still drinking during this period. Probably added to the believability in those songs and performances.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 pm Did they tell him to impersonate Axl or did he just do it naturally?

His stage moves r much more like perry farrel than axl. He always had them since the beginning
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Loved Weiland. Loved most of VR. Dave had tons of great musical performances. This one is near the top...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

VR would have been cooler (and potentially had better songs) if Izzy had stayed in the band.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

You know what was so great about these guys? That era in the early 2000s there was NO 80's nostalgia yet. No 80's nights. Almost no hairmetal coverbands.

Velvet Revolver came out, frankly, like a big dick swingin' rock n roll band. And we hadn't seen that in a long time.

There was a little punk, a little grunge, etc mixed in, but they were more or less bringing back the 80's formula. I remember the first time I heard 'Slither' on the radio and it was like "Holy shit, a serious guitar solo on a hit song?!"

I honestly think that VE's success made Axl second guess himself and probably further delayed Chinese Democracy. Nu Guns' first tour had been a failure, and then after years of completely reworking GNRs sound into a contemporary style, to see the former GNR guys have a smash hit album basically following the 80s rock formula had to be a lot to take in. Velvet Revolver made Cornrow Axl and his band of Numetal guys look like a bunch of clowns.
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Saw them at starland when I was in high school, my friends in river city rebels opened. I remember sitting with the bands waiting and waiting for Scott’s assistant to drive him to the club….I think he traveled separately.
IREEKOFAWESUMNES
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by IREEKOFAWESUMNES »

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:31 pm Saw them at starland when I was in high school, my friends in river city rebels opened. I remember sitting with the bands waiting and waiting for Scott’s assistant to drive him to the club….I think he traveled separately.
was this the NYE show? i was there as well
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

IREEKOFAWESUMNES wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:54 pm
Playboyliquor59 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:31 pm Saw them at starland when I was in high school, my friends in river city rebels opened. I remember sitting with the bands waiting and waiting for Scott’s assistant to drive him to the club….I think he traveled separately.
This was the first time they played starland, the summer before but I also was at the NYE show.
thebends

Post by thebends »

Scott was the best!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah that is a really good performance.Saw them on this tour. Good show. Must have been about 20 years since I listening to the album though!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Venus Flytrap

Post by Venus Flytrap »

There was a seperate thing going on I know by at least the second tour. I was waiting outside NBC studios for a friend so that we could get in line for the Conan show the night VR was going to be on. It was for the Libertad tour. Unbeknownst to me I was waitng at the door where the guests enter. Scott got dropped off in a car first. Then like 15 min later a van came and dropped the rest of the band off.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

Daaayum...i cant believe they came out 20 years ago. Doesnt seem that long ago. :shock:
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

I saw them live on this tour. I had already seen G'N'R twice, but had missed STP when they played here. One of the main reasons to see VR was trying to see Weiland while he's alive. Well, the expected happened, but years later.
IREEKOFAWESUMNES

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:41 pm
This was the first time they played starland, the summer before but I also was at the NYE show.
i was at both starland as well, and the roseland show in may 2004, one of the very first ones they played...i cant fucking believe that was twenty years ago
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Slash must be wearing a topper because his hair wasn’t that full at that time.
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

IREEKOFAWESUMNES wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 pm

i was at both starland as well, and the roseland show in may 2004, one of the very first ones they played...i cant fucking believe that was twenty years ago
Did you go to GNR at Hammerstein ballroom? It must have been around this time, the same dude I was working for was dealing with them at the same time.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Saw VR twice. Once a summer shed headliner with Chevelle and once at a festival. Loved them both times. Covered Slither in my old band. What a fun song to perform. I love playing that riff. I miss Scott and I miss that time period.
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Scott from 2:59-3:26 is untouchable. They don’t make them like that anymore.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:08 pm

Did you go to GNR at Hammerstein ballroom? It must have been around this time, the same dude I was working for was dealing with them at the same time.
I was at one of the Hammerstein shows. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the show (or shows) when Izzy played a few songs.
IREEKOFAWESUMNES

Playboyliquor59 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:08 pm

yup, all of them, i wanna say 4 shows? but those were early 2006
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Wild Obsession wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:03 am VR would have been cooler (and potentially had better songs) if Izzy had stayed in the band.
I concur 100%.
FreddyFender wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:27 pm

I honestly think that VE's success made Axl second guess himself and probably further delayed Chinese Democracy.
Axl must have liked something about it, as GnR have done “Slither” a few times on tour.
Vince Neil Eats
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Vince Neil Eats »

River City Rebels were badass.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

I was at the Electric Factory show in Philly in May 2004, a few days after the NYC show, shit sold out fast and the album wasn't even out yet. I remember it being an amazing show.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

This thread really is missing Iggy....i still remember him hating on Scott's lyrics....."tapeworm abortion". Iggy really hated that one
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.