El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by PAF Pro »

Figured I'd post some pics of my progress, my BYOguitars LP Custom kit:
After a metric shit-ton of measuring, sanding, dry-fits...and more measuring, the neck is glued in....pre-assembly/mock-up stage with the tailpiece/bridge and bushings installed, tuners...strung up with .010-gauge Blue Steels. String alignment is dead-on(had the pups sitting in place beforehand), as is the neck angle.
Shot of the toggle cavity...went ahead and stuck my spare Switchcraft toggle in place, checked for clearance.
Drilled the channel and installed the ground wire through the treble-side tailpiece bushing bore. Started through the maple top, stopped real quick as I realized that the wiremight be TOO close to a fullsize potentiometer case, possible pinch-point and maybe break the wire strands...went lower, through the mahogany. All good.

Might toss some more shots up if there's any interest as progress occurs...going to leave it strung-up for the day, see how the neck does...then disassemble, prep for primering/fill and paint/nitro-ing. No, that isn't a blemish in the top...I have a bottle of Stew-Mac amber stain, was a "what-if" on a cherry sunburst idea...meh. A traditional black finish will do it for me.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

Fun kit!!!
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

You're gonna cover a decent flame top with plain black paint? Well, it's your project...
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

It's a flame veneer, lerx...a NICE veneer, but a veneer nonetheless.

I continue on with impunity.

:lol:
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Any other ideas om value for the Baritone?
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I think my son is getting a Big Joe pedal today.
Shredderpete
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Shredderpete »

Just picked this up from NAMM. Buddy Blaze 7-string prototype #1. Floyd Rose 7, DiMarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire pickups. The neck is pitched back slightly so you can pull up on the bar without requiring a big rout behind the bridge. The neck is very comfortable, not too thin, not too fat, and beautifully flamey. One of two 7-string prototypes Buddy showed at NAMM. The other was orange with a maple fretboard and DiMarzio Blazes, but he'll do them with DMT Blazebuckers with Alnico 8 magnets too.

And here's me, Buddy, and Vivian Campbell with the original Blaze Shredder Vivian used in his Whitesnake days.

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Looks pretty awesome! Congrats on the score!
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

*whistles* Thumbs-up on the Buddy Blaze guitar.....I'm not on the 7-string bandwagon, but that's one hell of a nice-looking instrument!

Not musical, but related to the newest LP Custom project....a goddamned orbital sander. Sanding pore-filler and primer by hand SUCKS! :lol:
T-Jay

Post by T-Jay »

Guitar wiring question...

Does the ground wire have to be a different gauge to the typical wiring used for pickups and pots etc???
Liquid Boom Boom

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

Thinking of trading a Keeley Compression pedal (4 knobber) and a THD Hotplate (8 ohm). Anyone have anything interesting to trade?

Anyone have any extra bodies laying around?
Shredderpete

Post by Shredderpete »

Cheers folks! Brilliant guitar. Looking forward to wearing my fingers down to stumps on this guitar.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Liquid Boom Boom wrote:Thinking of trading a Keeley Compression pedal (4 knobber) and a THD Hotplate (8 ohm). Anyone have anything interesting to trade?

Anyone have any extra bodies laying around?
I have a NightSwan looking body, just primer... not sure if it's Kramer or not
PrÎck
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PrÎck »

Hopefully this guitar isn't somewhere on the thread already. shame on you if it's not.
I thought it was cool as fuck.

Not a stock model, but should be

A Taylor T5 on steroids.

http://youtu.be/XQHVH3ec0aw
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

What's the concensus on the Fender Pawnshop? Apparantly they're going over like a lead balloon because the prices have come down a couple hundred since they came out, but those things look cooler than the other side of the pillow. I haven't played one yet though.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

bane wrote:What's the concensus on the Fender Pawnshop? Apparantly they're going over like a lead balloon because the prices have come down a couple hundred since they came out, but those things look cooler than the other side of the pillow. I haven't played one yet though.
Never played one, but the '72 in Surf Green looks amazing.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

bane wrote:What's the concensus on the Fender Pawnshop? Apparantly they're going over like a lead balloon because the prices have come down a couple hundred since they came out, but those things look cooler than the other side of the pillow. I haven't played one yet though.
I am more interested in the Blacktops, though I wish they'd do the Floyd Rose Strat in the Daphne Blue with maple board! That would seriously trip my trigger into buying another Fender! I may just but the regular Daphne blue with maple board and put a floyd on it myself, but as soon as I do they will come out with that configuration and I will have spent $250 on a Floyd and conversion for nothing! :evil:
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

T-Jay wrote:Guitar wiring question...

Does the ground wire have to be a different gauge to the typical wiring used for pickups and pots etc???
No.....most times it's a simple length of 16-18 AWG. It's what I've always used and have never had an issue.
bane

Post by bane »

lerxstcat wrote:
I am more interested in the Blacktops, though I wish they'd do the Floyd Rose Strat in the Daphne Blue with maple board! That would seriously trip my trigger into buying another Fender! I may just but the regular Daphne blue with maple board and put a floyd on it myself, but as soon as I do they will come out with that configuration and I will have spent $250 on a Floyd and conversion for nothing! :evil:
Those are pretty cool too, but those pups are a little too hot for my taste. I'm all about vintagey tone these days and I haven't used a locking trem in years. I've been playing hopped up Strats and Teles the past couple years and those Pawnshops just ooze cool to me.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Crazy Taylor in that video.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

bane wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:
Those are pretty cool too, but those pups are a little too hot for my taste. I'm all about vintagey tone these days and I haven't used a locking trem in years. I've been playing hopped up Strats and Teles the past couple years and those Pawnshops just ooze cool to me.
Yeah, the Pawnshops are definitely the way to go for the vibe you want! It's not even that I use the trem that much anymore, but when I do I want it to stay in tune. I have Kahlers as well as Floyds, I think 2 out of 10 have stop tailpieces, my Hamer Stellar (PRS copy) and my Carvin DC150 (Melody Maker copy). The rest have licensed Floyds of some sort, or Kahler Pros. I might just get the Blacktop in Daphne Blue with maple board. it reminds me of my old pre-CBS April 1965 Mustang, but maple board, stronger pickups and a better bridge! Loved the Mustang, HATED that vibrato it had! Paid $50 for that guitar used with OHSC in 1973. One of many I wish I still had!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Personally, I feel the Pawnshop series is lame. If you want to get a "one off" vibe, put one together!
Buy a real player neck, maybe oven off Warmoth and so a cheap expoxy seal so it looks and feels old... then find the battered body of doom and put really GOOD pick ups in, not cheap Fenders... go all out and make it personal.
bane

Post by bane »

ElToro wrote:Personally, I feel the Pawnshop series is lame. If you want to get a "one off" vibe, put one together!
Buy a real player neck, maybe oven off Warmoth and so a cheap expoxy seal so it looks and feels old... then find the battered body of doom and put really GOOD pick ups in, not cheap Fenders... go all out and make it personal.
I've considered that. I've got a tele neck that I refinished in amber nitro sitting in my garage collecting dust. I've been saving it to do something with one of these days. I've already got a frankenstrat (it started life as the one I got from you a few years ago), but a frankentele might be in the future. That said, the 51 Pawnshop is a pretty good starting point for a pretty bad ass guitar IMO. They remind me a little of the G&L ASAT. I'm not all that crazy about the aesthetics on any of the line, but as a build platform, you could do worse. I like the controls set up. A pull volume knob to split the bridgebucker and a three position knob in lieu of a tone knob I'd never use anyway set up in a tele configuration is pretty cool to me. I mod all my guitars, and the Pawnshop probably wouldn't be any different. The stock pups would probably be the first thing to go.
bane

Post by bane »

I killed some time at the guitar store this afternoon and checked out Hughs and Kettner's new shoebox amp. It's 18 watts switchable to 5 and 1. 2 channels, big transformers and that Red Box cab simulater in the back. Pretty bad ass for 600 bucks. I just might have to pick one up.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Post some pics of the Frankenstrat... before and after...
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

Have head good things about those little H&K's...may have to try one for myself.

and a BIG "DAMN YOU" goes to lerxstcat....I was all kinds of content with the notion of painting my LP Custom the de rigeur black...you just HAD to plant the seed for a burst finish in my mind("gonna cover a decent flame top in plain black paint?"). Soo.........looks like I'll be using that Stewmac colortone amber after all.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

PAF Pro wrote:Have head good things about those little H&K's...may have to try one for myself.

and a BIG "DAMN YOU" goes to lerxstcat....I was all kinds of content with the notion of painting my LP Custom the de rigeur black...you just HAD to plant the seed for a burst finish in my mind("gonna cover a decent flame top in plain black paint?"). Soo.........looks like I'll be using that Stewmac colortone amber after all.
I didn't say burst, I just said "You gona cover that flame?" is all. You could have gone trans black and had the best of both worlds. I'm sure it will look great whatever you do, man!

*Chuckles as PAF Pro looks for trans black stain in the Stewmac catalog*
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Might I suggest using black first?> Then sand to highlight the flames.
bane

Post by bane »

ElToro wrote:Post some pics of the Frankenstrat... before and after...
I don't think I have any before pics, but I'll see if I can snap an after. It's at the studio right now, but I'll take a pic of it next time I'm there.
bane

Post by bane »

ElToro wrote:Might I suggest using black first?> Then sand to highlight the flames.
A dye looks really good on flames too.